Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How come Mattel can't hype up OLDER characters instead of pushing newer characters?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

How come Mattel can't hype up OLDER characters instead of pushing newer characters?

How come Mattel can't hype up OLDER characters instead of pushing newer characters? I realize that Mattel wants to push new characters, but how about upcoming characters that haven't been sold yet or existing product? I'm far from one of those fans who hates anything new, but how about trying to make existing characters who really need the exposure more appealing, such as the Galactic Protectors or the Great Rebellion? Some of those characters are stuck with the stigma of their old toylines (NA and POP) or aren't nostalgic enough (200X/MYP characters), so why not try to reverse those thoughts with clever marketing and make those existing characters even more enticing today? Imagine the goodwill a great Glimmer or Star Sisters story could do for those characters. A great Galactic Protector tale with Nocturna? Maybe a Count Marzo tale?

I see some missed opportunity here when I see new characters get shots that older and more deserving characters get in new media. It's like sports entertainment, when Vince McMahon pushes the flavor of the moment, instead of some guy who was busting his ass for the company for years and not getting recognized for it. I'm not saying that the new characters shouldn't get exposure (Mattel has to sell a character that the consumer doesn't know about), but there are a ton of older, less exposed characters that could use the benefit of new media.

Discuss.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I totally agree with you but I imagine this is due to the creators involved.
    Somewhat of a vanity project for both Geoff and Scott.

I'm really afraid there are going to be more new characters stuck into the classics line (either the main line or a second sub) instead of focusing on the neglected Great Rebellion and New Adventures. This comic only makes me worry more.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    It's just another great mystery of the humanity.
    It's like we had Snout Spout on the cover of a Ladybird book in the heyday....
    I was happy for ToyGuru, he finally had his character in toy form, but... on the comics too? It's blasphemy.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post

I'm really afraid there are going to be more new characters stuck into the classics line (either the main line or a second sub) instead of focusing on the neglected Great Rebellion and New Adventures. This comic only makes me worry more.
    You both made great points and the one thing I'd have to add is unless we get SLL as a variant that looks like the comic, they are already misleading new fans into thinking that's what they get when they buy the figure. That's definitely NOT what you get but it is what we SHOULD have gotten, seeing as how SLL is almost entirely made up of other parts besides his head sword and shield.

I don't have a problem with the comic using SLL as the main. He is the only Preternian Master they could've used for this story since the rest were dead or Moss Man. If this is the story they wanted then it works fine. POP or NA characters could not fill this role, and the current Masters never became Masters. I don't see an issue with the new characters being used. It would be worse if they weren't used IMO.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I think it's obvious but I guess the point of Laser-Lot and Spector being featured in the new Mini Comic was the same as with the vintage Mini Comics back in the 80s: It's simply promoting new toys.
    And as most of the fans already know the vintage characters, I guess Scott/ Mattel thinks it's not that important to push older characters. It's the new ones that need advertising to get sold - the vintage stuff sells no matter what.

I myself am happy to get a look at Preternia and new characters (even if the designs aren't THAT good) and I really enjoyed every appearance of older characters (Snakemen, Horde, etc.).
    BTW I really like that artwork of Laser-Lot.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I'm not bothered by it. How is this any different from pushing, let's say, Illumina?

I see it as a way to spark interest and curiosity.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I agree, Mattel needs to push older characters that aren't that well know, yet, to get fans to like the character more, instead of pushing new unheard of characters down our throats, & making us sick with it. I too, also like the new characters, but other, more established characters need recognition, too. Oh, & since you brough it up, Vince & the WWE totally need to re-push Drew McIntyre, & give him something that workd, maybe make him a fan favorite, like the rumors are saying, & they should stop feeding us Cena, at least Punk is entertaining, & Sheamus is cool, too.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    I'm not bothered by it. How is this any different from pushing, let's say, Illumina?

How is this any different from them NOT pushing Illumina using the excuse that "she only appeared in one brief preview pinup" ? Here's an answer to that Scott-
    Mattel owns the rights to Illumina so, oh I don't know...HAVE THEM DO ONE OF THE MINIS ABOUT ILLUMINA?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    No problem with it - as long as the brand moves forward. I'm sure if we get more comics we will get some of our favourites covered or lesser used characters getting the spotlight
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post

My thoughts exactly...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

This is precisely the sort of start I'd expect in SLL's minicomic 'origin'. It's not how the first MOTU media in almost ten years should begin. If they had to use a character from Eternia's past, how about King Tamusk? Or Zilora? Perhaps Filmation rights weren't on the table when this comic was planned, so maybe Eldor would have been a suitable choice? Eternia has a past already, without filling the cauldron with new characters. But then I guess the point is to sell more of SLL's figure when he's released.

I agree. I'm expecting 'the Mighty' Spector to swoop in in the nick of time and enable a crucial plot point to save the day. After which, I'm expecting an online backlash.

Same. I doubt we'll ever see Etheria again. It may be referenced, but if She-Ra's on Eternia, I can see Mattel taking the attitude that they 'don't need it'. Obviously they're trying to increase the interest in these new characters, so I'd hope a trip to Primus and/or Etheria isn't off the table as minicomics for Madame Razz, Tuskador and Prahvus would be a great way to promote them...but the cynical me ain't holding his breath.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    How is this any different from them NOT pushing Illumina using the excuse that "she only appeared in one brief preview pinup" ? Here's an answer to that Scott-
    Mattel owns the rights to Illumina so, oh I don't know...HAVE THEM DO ONE OF THE MINIS ABOUT ILLUMINA?
    The point I wanted to make was that new characters were created in 200x to spark interest and freshen things up. No difference from what is being done now.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    This move really ****** me off. Why on earth would you make this kind of move? I get that new characters help to move things along, but it's almost like the vintage characters are look upon as somehow obsolete and outdated. These characters are what made MOTU great. Why not showcase them early on?

I think Urbanmyth hit on it saying this is becoming a vanity project. It makes me very very sad that the need is felt by Johns and Toyguru to put their stamp on everything. It's getting tiresome
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    This move really ****** me off. Why on earth would you make this kind of move? I get that new characters help to move things along, but it's almost like the vintage characters are look upon as somehow obsolete and outdated. These characters are what made MOTU great. Why not showcase them early on?

I think Urbanmyth hit on it saying this is becoming a vanity project. It makes me very very sad that the need is felt by Johns and Toyguru to put their stamp on everything. It's getting tiresome
    That's how us POP and NA fans have felt since the line started.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    No problem with it - as long as the brand moves forward. I'm sure if we get more comics we will get some of our favourites covered or lesser used characters getting the spotlight
    This is how I feel too, OMH.

The thing is this new mini-comic (of sorts) does 2 things:
    1 - Creates new hype/buzz about MOTU and MOTUC. It doesn't matter if it good or bad, we're talking about it. And you can bet others are too.
    2 - It gives more info to a new character, never before seen. This is intended to help sell a new character.

Also, they've already announced new comic spotlights on Battle Cat and Man-At-Arms. I guarantee you you'll see more of these after those two sell well and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Draego-Man, Photog, Spikor, Star Sisters, Vykron, or Marzo comic in the future. Obviously provided that this takes off and I think it will with the Battle Cat and Man-At-Arms stories.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

"hurry. before agent Spector senses this disruption in time"...

i think that says it all....

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    My thoughts exactly. There's quite a parallel there.

By no means am I against the idea of an all-new character getting to being the focus of a comic, but as neat as it was to get some background on Sir Laser-Lot I think it was too soon to tell his story. He doesn't really need a comic to sell figures anyway. (Spector sold just fine after all!) One of my main gripes, is that Mattel isn't really exploring anything beyond Eternia and Preternia in any of these comics...

It would have been soooo perfect to tell the story of The Star Sisters and the Celestial Witch, since it was its own extension line much like Powers of Grayskull and they were rumored to have a comic all their own. They could have included ancient NA characters too. Then once The Star Sisters crash-landed on Etheria, it would have opened up an opportunity to expolore what Etheria was like in the past. Such a wasted opportunity. They really need to develop the "Universe" part of MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Quoted for truth!

I don't have a problem with it. It's part of the whole 30th Anniversary thing anyways- old and new coming together to inject new life into Masters for the masses. Now, if every single story/cartoon/t-shirt/comic from now on only features SLL, Spector, Photog, and Draego-Man... then yeah, I'll be annoyed- LOL. But to kick off this new DC series, I actually think it's kind of cool that Sir Laser Lot is getting the first story sort of to himself. It's akin to going down the toy aisles and seeing these toys for the first time. For whatever reason back in the day, my mom picked me up Man-At-Arms first instead of He-Man and Skeletor. The toyline was called Masters Of The Universe, NOT He-Man... so she just went ahead and picked me up the one she thought I'd like the most and tada! A MOTU fan was born back in '82! So I sort of see the kicking off of this new off-shoot series or whatever you want to call it with Laser Lot as sort of the same thing.

Also- I understand folks' frustration but people need to calm down a bit- who's to say there won't be the exploration of PoP and NA in the comics at some point? It's THE FIRST ISSUE! Well, not even that- it's like the first mini off-shoot issue of a mini-series. Give the thing a chance to grow...
    Last edited by zodak74; June 23, 2012 at 01:50pm.

Can someone please explain to me what this is? This is the first I've heard of this. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is not Issue #1 of the new series, but something else right?

Will this be released in print as well or is it digital only? Also, if I buy it can I save it to my hard drive or something (how does that work exactly)?

Thanks!
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I don't have a problem with it. It's part of the whole 30th Anniversary thing anyways- old and new coming together to inject new life into Masters for the masses. Now, if every single story/cartoon/t-shirt/comic from now on only features SLL, Spector, Photog, and Draego-Man... then yeah, I'll be annoyed- LOL. But to kick off this new DC series, I actually think it's kind of cool that Sir Laser Lot is getting the first story sort of to himself. It's akin to going down the toy aisles and seeing these toys for the first time. For whatever reason back in the day, my mom picked me up Man-At-Arms first instead of He-Man and Skeletor. The toyline was called Masters Of The Universe, NOT He-Man... so she just went ahead and picked me up the one she thought I'd like the most and tada! A MOTU fan was born back in '82! So I sort of see the kicking off of this new off-shoot series or whatever you want to call it with Laser Lot as sort of the same thing.

Also- I understand folks' frustration but people need to calm down a bit- who's to say there won't be the exploration of PoP and NA in the comics at some point? It's THE FIRST ISSUE! Well, not even that- it's like the first mini off-shoot issue of a mini-series. Give the thing a chance to grow...
    I agree entirely. It could still go a million directions and I liked the art and story plenty. SLL is a lot better in my eyes than my first impressions of him because of this issue. Excited for more.

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Can someone please explain to me what this is? This is the first I've heard of this. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is not Issue #1 of the new series, but something else right?

Will this be released in print as well or is it digital only? Also, if I buy it can I save it to my hard drive or something (how does that work exactly)?

Thanks!
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/06/23/new-masters-of-the-universe-digital-comic-book-debuts-today

The digital series will debut new chapters twice a month on Saturdays. The second chapter (7/14) is written by Mike Costa with artwork by Jheremy Raapack and it tells the story of He-Man’s most trusted companion, Battle Cat. The third digital chapter (7/28), written by Kyle Higgins with artwork by Pop Mhan, is an adventure with the captain of the Eternia guard, Man-At-Arms.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post

Thanks!
    What it seemed like it was when it was first announced was an early digital release of issue #1 of the new DC mini series. This morning I saw Tallstars link on Facebook that this is the first in a series of digital only one shots that gives us some background on the characters I assume we will see as part of this mini series.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!