Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toy Line Disasters

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I doubt much that Bionic Six could have been much heavier than some of the old Transformers, which also had die cats metal parts. I know G1 Megatron had feet, thighs and the arm supports made of metal.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    What was dangerous about the Bionic Six figures? I actually owned one of those.
    They had die-cast metal in them which gave them some weight if you sent them flying. I didn't mean they were officially declared such, but imagine what a projectile they were with kids who would fight over their toys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I doubt much that Bionic Six could have been much heavier than some of the old Transformers, which also had die cats metal parts. I know G1 Megatron had feet, thighs and the arm supports made of metal.

No they were heavier... and smaller to toss!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I agree about the holes in people's collections making people lose interest over time, but there's NO WAY anyone can say JLU was a "toy disaster." Mattel made the figures for 9 years...and quite a few of those years, JLU had NO cartoon support. Quite a feat! Toy lines are lucky to make it to year two. After the Target exclusive stuff, JLU started to die down. I REALLY believe if Mattel released the 6 pack boxsets that most people missed and hard-to-find figures like Volcana, they would have a lot of people still buying JLU on MattyCollector. I was going to suggest a JLU sub and to re-release those packs...but now Mattel is saying farewell to JLU.

At least it outlasted Young Justice by 8 years.
    The reason why I made it a Toy Disaster is because it died due to poor and unfortunate decisions. JLU would probably have still been around today if Mattel would have fixed alot of their retail mistakes using their website from the start. They couldn't have produced those six packs and put them up for sale on the site? Unfortunately, interest in JLU died so much that the fan-demanded Kalibak was released and fizzled sales-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I think they were heavier. Bionic Six figures were dense and heavy, especially if you have all 12 figures and the robot ape. Instead of plastic, they had mostly die-cast metal bodies.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The reason why I made it a Toy Disaster is because it died due to poor and unfortunate decisions. JLU would probably have still been around today if Mattel would have fixed alot of their retail mistakes using their website from the start. They couldn't have produced those six packs and put them up for sale on the site? Unfortunately, interest in JLU died so much that the fan-demanded Kalibak was released and fizzled sales-wise.
    I fully agree with everything you say here. Especially living in Canada, where we didn't have Targets at the time (they're coming...they bought Zellers ). Anyway, if they put up the figures most people missed, for sure the line would still be going strong. A lot of people were completists with JLU and once they missed a bunch, they gave up. Hell, I'm missing quite a few! I bought all the MattyCollector stuff though. I figured, eventually I can backtrack.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they were heavier. Bionic Six figures were dense and heavy, especially if you have all 12 figures and the robot ape. Instead of plastic, they had mostly die-cast metal bodies.
    I have the pink villain and the female heroine with blonde hair. I didn't remember what the heck they were from though. I remember buying them in-store though and I *think* I thought they were a new division of G.I. Joe! I was shocked at how heavy they were. You could kill a person if you threw it at them!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

My ToysRUs still has the Star Trek figures on clearance and can't get rid of them.
    Do NOT Sell to DenmanDemons unless your figures are Dead Mint Condition

References:
    THEGODBEAST tylerm23 jjforbus fattysteve
    scare-flow WOO Legend Okro Rachael ckhtiger
    Luigispice granbeetle Machanikal Convoy
    Capt_Piett Stshammgod
    Robb Corvus Commmander

What's really sad is that DCD was all set to lauch a JL 6" line right before Mattel got the rights. The DCD line was to mimic the Super Friends line that DCD put out years ago. Two packs, one villain and one hero, with a bunch of accessories. Tim Bruckner did sculpts for 6 figures: Batman, Joker, Wonder Woman, Felix Faust, Superman, and Armored Lex. There was also plans for single release oversized figures that couldn't fit in a two pack like Grundy, Grodd, Manhunters...He's openly talked about in the past. I even discussed the line with him in person at WWC several years back. What a wasted opportunity.

I'd also like to say that Mattel really screwed up this line from the start by not making them the same scale as the old BTAS Kenner figures. That alone was enough of a reason for me to never buy past wave 1 of JL.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The Nolan Batman lines do pretty well in the UK, I don't remember any figures clogging up the pegs after the movies died down. I think TDKR toyline will do fine.

Avatar toyline seemed to do OK here as well, not much left after the movie hype died.

The biggest toy flops in recent years near me:

A-Team movie figures
    Star Trek
    Tron Legacy
    The Hulk movie line

remains of those 4 lines still exist in my local TRU, Forbidden Planet and Entertainer!!!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Tron Legacy
    You can get this line in Poundworld now which shows how bad this one flopped
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I loved loved loved Sky Commanders and had a lot of them! Great concept.

Tron did well I think. They made a lot of stock so that's why we still see them around.

Failed toy lines IMO
    Prince of Persia
    Van Hellsing
    Thor
    Star Wars Ep 1 figures aren't selling well now in stores
    Thundercats
    WWE Classic two packs by Mattel
    Green Lantern
    DC Crisis 4 inchers
    Early Toy Biz Marvel figures
    Star Trek
    12 inch or larger WWE figures
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

I really dug Robo Force back in the day:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...219-Robo-Force

I think it might have been successful if it came out a few years before Transformers. These robot toys just weren't in the same league as Transformers toys, so I think it hurt them.

I don't know if it's a disaster, but I was grossly disappointed in the Indiana Jones toys that came out when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released. I really thought I'd be buying them all, but the figures I saw based on the previous movies were just not that great. And how do you not give us a Belloq in his white suit? I never even saw the Temple of Doom set in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by BoShek View Post
    The movie is 13 years old! If it takes that long for toys based on it not to sell as good, that's a disasters I'd like to have.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    DCU line was a big disaster. The figures were sculpted so badly that they looked like they could have been made in the 70's. Has Mattel even looked at what Hasbro can do with 3 inch figures? I'm not a business guy, but it makes some logic to me to produce action figures that are on par or better than what is selling in the market today.
    Do you mean the Infinite Heroes line? I don't think their DCUniverse Classics line was a "disaster" with 20 waves and 4 Horsemen sculpting.

One that comes to mind for me are the Skeleton Warriors. Pretty decent sculpts and a nice sci-fi/fantasy feel, but they only released the villains at first. Then some heroes later. The unproduced second wave looked incredible, but sadly, it wasn't meant to be.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I don't know if it's a disaster, but I was grossly disappointed in the Indiana Jones toys that came out when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released. I really thought I'd be buying them all, but the figures I saw based on the previous movies were just not that great. And how do you not give us a Belloq in his white suit? I never even saw the Temple of Doom set in stores.

The movie is 13 years old! If it takes that long for toys based on it not to sell as good, that's a disasters I'd like to have.

Do you mean the Infinite Heroes line? I don't think their DCUniverse Classics line was a "disaster" with 20 waves and 4 Horsemen sculpting.
    They rereleased some figures for the 3d movie. And the current vintage line is kind of heavy with characters from Episode 1.

Yeah I would say there is a difference in a toy line that is a disaster and one that ended on a bad note(s). But The Infinite Heroes line also had on the box DC Universe so I can see where someone would get confused.

Also some toy lines weren't meant to last long they were supposed to be short lived, not defending most of the ones stated here with that statement though.

I would also say technically many of the ones that have been suggested weren't disasters, since the word actually means something pretty harsh. Some just something went wrong

And Bionic Six were very dense. I remember some parents refused to buy them because their small size and the ability to be used an easy projectile. Or friends who lost their toys because of it, well more friends of distant family members again this was a toyline I never saw locally.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoShek View Post
    Because it's Episode I...podracers, senators, Amidala variants, Jar Jar Binks and Ric Olie.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Very softly spoken - but 'Avatar' almost killed MattyCollector back in the day - no?
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Prince of Persia was almost on clearance before they hit the shelves! I work at Wal Mart and I don't think they sold a single secret Saturday figure!

Snappy Threader
    I just got back from TRU and I wanted to add to this conversation with some confirmations 12/01/12:

Star Trek
    Tron
    Green Lantern Movie Masters
    Batman Movie Masters (even from the last movie with Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne with a sock on his head)
    Thundercats
    Secret Saturdays (or something like that)
    and some weird yu-gi-oh type game thing, they had tons by the register selling these huge boxes for 1 dollar eah no joke.

All of these have been there for ages, all on clearance except the 45 Batmans from the new movie masters line.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    New Captain Scarlet - Did anyone see the awesome CGI series made a few years back? It was incredidly well animated and surprisngly mature for a 'cartoon', but it was treated like crap by the UK networks and flopped badly after 26 episodes.

A pretty cool toy line was released to coincide with the series. The figures were pretty good, but the vehicles were brilliant. I still have them lying around somewhere as they work well with GI JOE figures... but, it was only logical that the toys follow the show down the plughole.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

The Green Lantern movie toys in general were a huge flop in the US. Stores devoted huge amounts of shelf space to them, and nobody bought either scale because of their horribly low quality. 3.75" and 6" with 4-6 paint apps and the articulation of a toy from 15 years ago... at full price. Blech.

Prince of Persia and Tron toys can still be found in bargain bins around here as well.

Master of New Adventures!
    With $677 milliion in annual revenues in 2011, I don't think anyone should lose sleep worrying about "poor JAKK's Pacific." While it's true that figure is down from the $903 million in annual revenues they're racked up in 2008, it's a reflection of the 'economic downturn' and they're still averaging a pretty healthy more than $700 million a year for the past five years. I've a hunch with having generated more than $3 billion in revenues over a five-year period that they probably have a pretty substantial cash reserve tucked away in a mattress to see them through this 'difficult' year.

Aside from them having the good sense -- -- to carrying toys, product and merchandise from many shows I created and wrote, their staff is overwhelming comprised of about the nicest executives I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing...AKK/financials

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    So, while at TRU today, I noticed the MIB3 figures are already on clearance! I know these things aren't always national with these chains, but I could hardly believe it. These figures have been out for less than a month here. I know the movie didn't seem to have much heat, but I was shocked at how fast they went from being released to being on clearance. I wonder if it's some kind of record. Poor Jakks Pacific.

So, it got me thinking... what are the biggest toy line disasters in your opinion?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 1, 2012 at 05:42pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Green Lantern movie figures and DCUC Cyclotron.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Thundercats, or as I am now calling it, Blundercats. This toyline was the biggest disappointment I have seen in years, maybe ever from a toyline. They have these great set of characters, mythos, and the like, to work with, and they give it to a company who does not give a damn about the line. Not just that, but they also give it to a company that uses some of the cheapest materials ever.

The next line I will say is the MegaMan lines from both Jazwares and Mattel. Both companies many years ago held the licenses and dropped the ball on them. Jazwares showed off all of these cool MM playsets, upcoming figures from the X series, and some really awesome vinyl figures based off their original designs called Retro Roto. Mattel showed off a another batch of really cool looking figures from the Battle Network series, but both companies never delivered on them, and just let them fade into nothingness without even an explanation as to why they never came out.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I agree with Orko's magic hat that the Hulk toyline as a flop. I remember going to buy He-Man toys only to see them strangled by the green menace. I think the Episode I toys flopped from the over load of Darth Mauls.
    Etheria will be mine!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post

A-Team movie figures
    Star Trek
    Tron Legacy
    The Hulk movie line

remains of those 4 lines still exist in my local TRU, Forbidden Planet and Entertainer!!!
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, not every movie needs a toyline.

Heck, I'm surprised they never did a Saw toyline since they could have done all of these gimmick playsets and the like.

Seriously though, just because it has a movie does not mean it requires toys. I bet if Pulp Fiction came out in the recent year they would have done a toyline for it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I think the price point can affect if a line makes or breaks it, especially in the case of the Avatar line. Those toys were expensive when they came out and sat at those prices for a long time way past Christmas. By the time the prices dropped and they were put on clearance, their were other figure lines out their to buy and it was old news. i think if retailers put these lines out ata a decent price to begin with, they might actually make some money. And honestly what does Walmart pay maybe $1 a figure in bulk, they make money even when clearing stuff out.

I'll never forget when Walmart cleared out the X-Men Origins Wolverine figures at $2 each. Their were tons of them, but they didn't last long and were all snapped up in a few weeks. Maybe at a $5 starting price point, the mass clearance didn't have to happen.
    Visit The Action Figure Archive Forums to discuss, buy, sell & trade action figure lines of the 70s, 80s & 90s. Remember to checkout the action figure guide and online store on the site as well!

Check out my trade feedback here