Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Griffin Video Review by Pixel Dan

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Im OK with this figure, but Im still waiting for all the vintage beasts before (they are still so much figures to appear...)

Clawdeen
    Mantisaur
    Bionatops
    Turbodactyl
    BattleLion
    Stridor & NightStalker
    Sundancer & Moonbeam (afraid with the clear plastic)
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    He didn't have bird feet on the front:
    s'funny, that pic shows them with all brown wings, instead of multi colored.
    Does Galactus fart?

Great review Dan.

The paint apps are really nice on Griffin.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

am i the only one who had significant paint peeling off the wings on both griffins? i never complain, and typically have pretty awesome luck with quality, but this is actually the first time i've gotten something that was a significant enough issue to be abit of a disappointment... especially around the hinged joint (and also in spots along the edges), the complete paint is just peeled off and missing, revealing white plastic underneath... it looks like maybe dan's has this issue to a lesser degree on at least one of the wing joints, but he (nor anyone else) made any mention of it...??? (i even noticed smearing/smudges of some of the wings' coloring on the insider of the packages. *shrug* hoping for everyone i just got a particularly problematic couple.
    anyway, other than that, it IS a very cool surprise figure!

Great review, PD. Not super excited for this beast, but it's a nice surprise and definitely one I never expected (or imagined) we'd get. I'll definitely be keeping my sub one for Beastman to ride on, but one is more than enough for me.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Really wasn't excited for this beast til I saw Dan's review...You really sold me on this guy Dan!! I love all the details that we see in your reviews! Keep up the great work dude!!

I think Pixel Dan is going to be responsible for the Griffin selling out in the next 24 hours or so...

The Griffin is an magnificent figure. Nice sculpt with a good paint job.

Why do people think the bird feet go on the front? If you research griffons in mythology, they always had lion feet on front and eagle feet in the rear. The cartoon shows them as lions feet, but they arent done very accurately. They are exaggerated for the show to make the claws look imposing. i know they arent supposed to be just like the mythological version, but the form still follows those guidelines.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Why do people think the bird feet go on the front? If you research griffons in mythology, they always had lion feet on front and eagle feet in the rear. The cartoon shows them as lions feet, but they arent done very accurately. They are exaggerated for the show to make the claws look imposing. i know they arent supposed to be just like the mythological version, but the form still follows those guidelines.
    actually, there are a great many depictions of griffons with eagle claws on the front legs. some sigils show them with 4 eagle feet.

Not many gryphons have four eyes though. I get people wanting a little extra difference from the cat buck, but I don't think that's necessary to make this one great.

Incidentally, Dan, I thought the original display of the Griffin had garish gray wings that looked unfinished on the otherwise brown beast. If they'd just been brown, I don't think there would have been as much hubbub about it and we might not have gotten this wonderful coloring. I also recall at least one panel of the MVC comic that gave the brown Griffins gray primary feathers on the wings that wasn't cartoon accurate but has turned out to be very prophetic. The comic also gave them saddles, which they didn't have in the cartoon either. Altogether this is one awesome toy!

ftr i love the griffon as is. the cat feet in front and eagle claws in back is toon accurate as it should be.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Awesome!

I can't wait for mine!!!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Lewd_Squirrel View Post
    s'funny, that pic shows them with all brown wings, instead of multi colored.
    Varing shades of brown. But a lot of scenes in the original series had a brownish hue to them. I think they look gray, dark gray, then brown like the figure we got.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    so glad this figure was apart of motuc. been wanting this since the myp cartoons.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

Heroic Warrior
    I did say I don't have any problems with the wings popping out, though. And so far, that still holds true. One of the wings on my Swift Wind pops off very easily. Griffin's are both holding very tightly thus far.

Thanks!!
    Thank you for the answer, Dan ! I can now ponder about buying the Griffin, which is a purchase I didn't want to consider before...

He looks really cool, the colors go good together....but unfortunately I have to pass, money and all....maybe I can pick one up later on Ebay when I get some extra dough....

I actually don't see anything I don't like about him, but as I said money was an issue, and the actual figures outweighed the Beast...I wanted 3 figures, and one extra... (2x HP, SMAA & EL), and had nothing left for Griffin.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Stinkor was a pretty big reuse of parts accept for the heads and weapons. Why did his paint costs get cut? .
    Do you know how much it costs to reverse forearms and add pop? you guys are SOOOOO short sighted!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    am i the only one who had significant paint peeling off the wings on both griffins? i never complain, and typically have pretty awesome luck with quality, but this is actually the first time i've gotten something that was a significant enough issue to be abit of a disappointment... especially around the hinged joint (and also in spots along the edges), the complete paint is just peeled off and missing, revealing white plastic underneath... it looks like maybe dan's has this issue to a lesser degree on at least one of the wing joints, but he (nor anyone else) made any mention of it...??? (i even noticed smearing/smudges of some of the wings' coloring on the insider of the packages. *shrug* hoping for everyone i just got a particularly problematic couple.
    anyway, other than that, it IS a very cool surprise figure!
    Both of mine have the exact same issue. Looks like the window box was smashed in and took the paint off of the wing hinge completely. Too sick of dealing with Matty customer disservice to try for an exchange.

Even with the defects, I love this beast! I wish I had the room to display more - I would definitely pick more up.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    Both of mine have the exact same issue. Looks like the window box was smashed in and took the paint off of the wing hinge completely. Too sick of dealing with Matty customer disservice to try for an exchange.

Even with the defects, I love this beast! I wish I had the room to display more - I would definitely pick more up.
    hey man!
    i was starting to think i WAS the only one! (sorry to hear i'm not.)
    yeah, i decided not to bother about trying for replacements either, but it IS abit of a bummer.
    but yes, other than that... a VERY cool toy!

I love the griffin. Unfortunately my front left leg was not connected to the body and was hanging in the package by the rubber band around the foot. I had to open mine and snap the leg into place (at the shoulder). No paint damage and no damage to the box, either. Thankfully.

I would REALLY like to see Battle Lion next but it would be nice to get an all new beast with a different buck to build out some variance. (My opinion, for what it is worth.)
    Say cheese!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Daddy View Post
    I love the griffin. Unfortunately my front left leg was not connected to the body and was hanging in the package by the rubber band around the foot. I had to open mine and snap the leg into place (at the shoulder). No paint damage and no damage to the box, either. Thankfully.

I would REALLY like to see Battle Lion next but it would be nice to get an all new beast with a different buck to build out some variance. (My opinion, for what it is worth.)
    I think Battle Lion is a good possibility next since it is another 200x beast to go with the griffin and it would be very little tooling.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, I finally opened my Griffin after being overseas since he arrived. What a disappointment. Not the crooked beak or bobble head, or even the paint missing from his wings; it's his back legs. This is them from dead on:

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Cook it!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, I finally opened my Griffin after being overseas since he arrived. What a disappointment. Not the crooked beak or bobble head, or even the paint missing from his wings; it's his back legs. This is them from dead on:
    Are the legs bent? It looks like it's just the torso joint that's turned a bit.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page