Thread: Sir Laser-Lot to Star in a SECOND "Digital First" Comic?

Hybrid View

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Sir Laser-Lot to Star in a SECOND "Digital First" Comic?

I thought this deserved its own thread.

This quote is from the LA Times article on the new "Digital Firsts" MOTU DC Comics:

He-Man’s most trusted companion, Battle Cat, stars in the July 14 installment (written by Mike Costa with art by Jheremy Raapack) and the captain of the Eternia guard, Man-At-Arms, takes the spotlight in the July 28 release (written by Kyle Higgins with artwork by Pop Mhan).
    http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/...rom-the-1980s/

I was looking through Geoff Johns' Twitter account to see if he mentioned Sir Laser-Lot or took new pictures of his action figure. He didn't, but a person asked him this:

Geoff Johns ‏@geoffjohns
    “@UniversoDC1: @geoffjohns Sir Laser Lot We'll read digitally on DC Entertainment? July 28?
    (Geoff put the smiley face)

Now, if you read Sir Laser-Lot's bio...it explains that The Mighty Spector or another "Time Agent" brings him to the future and Sir LL becomes the new Man-At-Arms. From that Twitter message, (combined with the LA article) sounds to me like that July 28th comic about Man-At-Arms isn't about Duncan, but about Sir Laser-Lot.

What are everyone's thoughts/feelings on this?

Last edited by Darkspecter; June 24, 2012 at 03:05am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    EDIT: Thought you were talking about different one

I downloaded it - pretty short but it's only .99 cents.

Basically ties Sir Laser Lot into the mythology rather briefly through exposition, and introduces

two children as characters that it seems we will be following as they learn about these heroes/villains.

The last page was interesting -

with the Evil Warriors all gathered. I don't mind the updates of them, as they mostly are in the original spirit of the designs, but even though I was happy that out of all of them Evil Lyn is the only one who gets to speak a line, I was a bit "meh" about her "purple skin" redesign - don't we already have enough variations of her skin color (fluorescent yellow, Caucasian, the lighter yellow used in a few other places, etc.)? I wish they had gone with an existing one. I always liked that Evil-Lyn wasn't so other-worldly and was just evil.

That's a minor nit-pick, though - it was interesting. I'll download the rest - actually these are the first digital comics I have ever bought. Normally I'm not going to pay $3 or $4 for a digital version the same as a print version, but since these are exclusive and only .99cents I'll continue to pick them up.
    Last edited by EtherianChronicles; June 24, 2012 at 12:43am.

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    It's already up on comiXology (or whatever it's called).
    Oh, I mean the THIRD "Digital First" issue. Issue #1: Sir Laser-Lot, Issue #2: Battle Cat, Issue #3: Man-At-Arms...except from the information I posted above, I think "Man-At-Arms" is going to be about Sir Laser-Lot in the future and not about Duncan at all (as per Sir Laser-Lot's bio).

I downloaded it - pretty short but it's only .99 cents.
    Me too! It's my first purchased digital comic, but second overall. My PS3 Green Lantern game came with a free code for an exclusive digital comic about the movie. It's neat, but the MOTU one is better.

I pretty much agree about Evil-Lyn. I wish they would have picked something more similar to what most people remember, instead of making her Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    LOL yeah, it's easy to get confused.

Basically we have two series now - the "He-man and the Masters..." and these "Masters..."

And, really, a third if we count the mini-comics coming with the figures (which, for completists sake, really should be digitally available too - free for those that buy the figs, though probably too late for that).

Hey, new media though - can't really complain.

But from the other thread, it does appear many have similar feelings about Evil-Lyn. Aside from her, I didn't object to any of the other redesigns.

I presumed that SLL would return, seems like this was only a "prologue".

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    I hope the man at arms issue has something to do with Duncan. SLL is pretty cool and all but I would hope the new figures don't overrun the established ones. And why only SLL and the xman...er...spector.....where's Draego Man?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I'm guessing the SLL story will be picked up again at least once more in the digital comics. I don't really expect to see him in the main series. Wouldn't be totally surprised if Spector pops up in the last digital comic to take him to the future or something.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I hope the man at arms issue has something to do with Duncan. SLL is pretty cool and all but I would hope the new figures don't overrun the established ones. And why only SLL and the xman...er...spector.....where's Draego Man?
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'm guessing the SLL story will be picked up again at least once more in the digital comics. I don't really expect to see him in the main series. Wouldn't be totally surprised if Spector pops up in the last digital comic to take him to the future or something.
    What might be cool, is if the Man-At-Arms issue is about the MEN-At-Arms (the different guys that had the title). Since the first issue was pretty short, I doubt we will see that, but I think it would be cool! The MAA before Duncan, Duncan, Clamp-Champ and Sir LL. A little glimpse into each of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter:3049169
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    What might be cool, is if the Man-At-Arms issue is about the MEN-At-Arms (the different guys that had the title). Since the first issue was pretty short, I doubt we will see that, but I think it would be cool! The MAA before Duncan, Duncan, Clamp-Champ and Sir LL. A little glimpse into each of their lives.
    That would be cool with me. I'm kinda curious where SLL will fit in as I thought clamp champ replaced Duncan. Wonder if TG is planning on killing off clamp champ as well.....

Terry's character replaces Clamp Champ.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

Higuchi's character is a villian.

I think the skull is how Skeletor changes the timeline to make all the masters forget who they are. I bet they are tying the two series together. Evil Lyn looked a lot like the "Dare" version of her character.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

What you're proposing about the third issue focusing on SLL is possible, I suppose. But since the first comic wasn't a complete story, I'm assuming the digital comics will all tell one story with each chapter focusing on a different character. So for example the Battle Cat issue

could explain what was up with the skull

and the July 28th issue could pick up after that. We could learn a bit about the continuation of SLL and his story in other comics even if he isn't the focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I think the skull is how Skeletor changes the timeline to make all the masters forget who they are. I bet they are tying the two series together. Evil Lyn looked a lot like the "Dare" version of her character.
    not really

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post

Higuchi's character is a villain.
    Very cool.

We need more villains in the 30th line since Draego-Man was so well received. Man, I really hate these spoiler tags. SPOILER ALERT: They really are a pain!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

That would be cool with me. I'm kinda curious where SLL will fit in as I thought clamp champ replaced Duncan. Wonder if TG is planning on killing off Clamp Champ as well.....
    I suspect that Clamp Champ "retires" after killing Duncan in battle. That would probably be something hard to live with, despite the circumstances.

I suppose this means Battle Cat will talk.

"Grrowr! Ragent RRector! Rrroobie roo!"

Ew.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I suppose this means Battle Cat will talk.

"Grrowr! Ragent RRector! Rrroobie roo!"

Ew.
    I laugh everytime I read this!
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

That would be cool with me. I'm kinda curious where SLL will fit in as I thought clamp champ replaced Duncan. Wonder if TG is planning on killing off clamp champ as well.....
    I read it as Clamp Champ serving as MAA for Randor and Sir Laser Lot serving as MAA for King He-Man, and that fits for me cuz I guess I always assumed that Randor reigned for quite some time, thus there was quite a bit of time for Clamp Champ to be MAA before SLL took over. And Clamp Champ must have been killed or retired (like Captain Atkin suggested--cool idea man!), thus prompting King He-Man to send Spector to get SLL to be his new MAA. OMG. LOL. BRB.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Did Guru not realize that as far as canon says, SLL can't touch people without them burning? If this is the case, how the hell would he train Dare? What is SLL gonna do, use a laser pointer to show him where to point his various limbs ?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think the digital comic was a great way to showcase Sir Laser-Lot and raise fan opinion about the character, but just like in Sir Laser Lot's bio, I hate the idea of more Spector and time travel. I'm not a Spector hater (I tolerated him), but now he's quickly becoming an annoying Mary Sue character. Skeletor fears Spector stopping him? Laser-Lot by himself isn't bad, but Spector in his stories isn't doing him any favors.

Potential Spoilers for the digital comics plot:

Unfortunately, we might see Spector rescuing Laser-Lot from Snake Mountain and bring him to King He-Man to become the new MAA.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think the digital comic was a great way to showcase Sir Laser-Lot and raise fan opinion about the character, but just like in Sir Laser Lot's bio, I hate the idea of more Spector and time travel. I'm not a Spector hater (I tolerated him), but now he's quickly becoming an annoying Mary Sue character. Skeletor fears Spector stopping him? Laser-Lot by himself isn't bad, but Spector in his stories isn't doing him any favors.

Potential Spoilers for the digital comics plot:
    If anything, I was confused why Skeletor wouldn't be more concerned with SLL given he is obviously a lot more powerful than Spector- regardless of the time travel crap being factored in. Also, how the hell would Spector be able to monitor every point of the time space continuam? To my knowledge all his suit does is allow time jumping not monitoring time and space itself; last time I checked, that was Zodac/Zodak's job. (In B4 TG claims the Spectormobile does it).

Quote Originally Posted by SCB:3049184
    And spector destroys the time space contintinum and the walls between alternate realities causes there to be four MAA coexisting?!?!

This may sound crazy, but has anyone considered that maybe Sir Laser Lot is Clamp Champ?
    END OF LINE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Underling View Post
    This may sound crazy, but has anyone considered that maybe Sir Laser Lot is Clamp Champ?
    Its defiantly possible, but I hope not. We need more black characters, not just the same one in a different outfit.

Heroic Warrior
    Here's the thing then- If the Sorceress (Teela in this canon, Sorceress in the original canon) had to use up extreme amounts of her power to open the time portal, we are then expected to believe that some machine can just monitor it and is more powerful than all of Grayskulls magic? Yeah sorry I don't buy that. When a plot device is used to explain something LOGICALLY I have no problem with it (time travel or otherwise), but when they try and claim there is some device that is more powerful than the magic of Grayskull, and equal in power to the Comsic Enforcers well I have to call bs. People are seeming to forget that even the Cosmic Key didn't work on it's own, it required the Sorceress powering it with the aid of Central Tower just to be able to open said time portal. Let's just be honest and say that perhaps they should have elaborated a little more on HOW Spector can monitor such disturbances.

In all honesty this is all beginning to sound like the kid you'd play with as a child who would make up powers for his super hero and then say "well my character has laser eyes that are invincible to all of your magic AND they make you die"- basically ridiculous rules that just keep getting added to verbatim when inconsistencies are pointed out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Underling View Post
    Except he isn't- Clamp Champ didn't exist in Preternia and even with time travel that would require them to have disrupted it TWICE to send him from the future to the past, and then the past to the future. Plus it clearly states that SLL is brought forth to be the new MAA for Dare so why wouldn't they have just brought back Clamp Champ if he was otherwise indisposed? This is all really starting to make King He-Man sound really foolish if this is indeed where they are headed with time disruptions repeatedly happening.