Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comics Sales Rankings

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    So happy that people are buying MOTU!
    Absolutely! Here's hoping the Battle Cat and Man-at-Arms digital-first issues do even better!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    This is great news!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    I wonder how many new subscribers MOTUC has brought to Comixology? I know I signed up because of it.
    Same here. I would have never looked at it if it wasnt for MOTU. I don't even do any comics and haven't since the early-mid 90s. The only exception is MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    Hellll yes! I've been plastering that share link EVERYWHERE on social sites and I've gotten tons of messages telling me "oh snap man I didn't know they brought back He-Man" or "woah a new He-Man comic? and there are toys? SIGN ME UP!". Yeah Mattel, I'm pretty sure there is a market here.
    I've been doing some spamming myself.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I am hoping this leads to a regular series in the end, as new media like this can hopefully push the toys and efforts to get a new movie going (although the latter will not happen until Mattel gets back the MOTU rights wholesale from Classic Media).
    A MOTU movie can still be made, though, cant it? Before Sony Pictures, there have been two other studios trying to bring a film to life. So a movie is something that can be done anytime. I dont understand what youre alluding to. There is nothing to stop Mattel from making a MOTU movie, which will hopefully happen within the next three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Omg! It's #6 overall! #1 in the $0.99 category
    also it's #2 in DC category
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Hellll yes! I've been plastering that share link EVERYWHERE on social sites and I've gotten tons of messages telling me "oh snap man I didn't know they brought back He-Man" or "woah a new He-Man comic? and there are toys? SIGN ME UP!". Yeah Mattel, I'm pretty sure there is a market here.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just shared on my Facebook page as well. Should have done it yesterday.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PIMPS ADAM View Post
    ...considering SLL is a created character...
    As opposed to all the other characters in MOTU, who were not created, but simply came into being by their own willpower.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    A MOTU movie can still be made, though, cant it? Before Sony Pictures, there have been two other studios trying to bring a film to life. So a movie is something that can be done anytime. I don’t understand what you’re alluding to. There is nothing to stop Mattel from making a MOTU movie, which will hopefully happen within the next three years.
    Yes they can make a movie regardless of the rights being fully bought back or not- the only rule with that is they can only use characters and designs they can own the intellectual copyright for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just shared on my Facebook page as well. Should have done it yesterday.
    Right on man, it can only do good for the franchise in the long run!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTripper View Post
    As opposed to all the other characters in MOTU, who were not created, but simply came into being by their own willpower.
    Didn't you know that they are sentient entities that manifested themselves into being!

Elder Councilman
    I find it funny all the people here surprised that the comic is selling like mad, even with a new character the majority doesn't yet know about, and for a few reasons:

1. Look at that cover. Gorgeous.

2. He-Man to most folks was a sword and sorcery tale; seeing a knight on the cover isn't exactly that out-of-place to them.

2. You're looking at this entirely from the perspective of long-devoted fans who all but know the ins-and-outs of the brand and its history, which is why you take some issue with it.

Tell me: when you were 5 years old and you saw a new character on the cover of the comics, did you care that it was a character you never heard of before, or did you want to know more about the character?

I don't think your first reaction was honestly "oh god, they're shoe-horning some other stupid character into this?" as it is today.

Well y'know what? The kids reading it now see it the same way you did when you were a kid.

And the adults buying it now are just enjoying further adventures of the characters from Eternia that they grew up with, and getting to meet some new ones as well.

Ya gotta consider that when the franchise is being branched out again in terms of exposure. I kinda think a lot of you are looking at this from a really limited perspective.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    I find it funny all the people here surprised that the comic is selling like mad, even with a new character the majority doesn't yet know about, and for a few reasons:

2. He-Man to most folks was a sword and sorcery tale; seeing a knight on the cover isn't exactly that out-of-place to them.

2. You're looking at this entirely from the perspective of long-devoted fans who all but know the ins-and-outs of the brand and its history, which is why you take some issue with it.

Tell me: when you were 5 years old and you saw a new character on the cover of the comics, did you care that it was a character you never heard of before, or did you want to know more about the character?

I don't think your first reaction was honestly "oh god, they're shoe-horning some other stupid character into this?" as it is today.

Well y'know what? The kids reading it now see it the same way you did when you were a kid.

And the adults buying it now are just enjoying further adventures of the characters from Eternia that they grew up with, and getting to meet some new ones as well.

Ya gotta consider that when the franchise is being branched out again in terms of exposure. I kinda think a lot of you are looking at this from a really limited perspective.
    Or some of us have actually worked on the brand in one way or another and find it a bit of a slap in the face? Personally I'm enjoying the fact it's doing well but I still take issue with some of the supposed "shoe horning".

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think we are in for good things. The digital comic was actually a pretty good read. It serves as an interesting introduction and a hint of what's to come. I have a gut feeling we are going to see bigger things soon enough.

We just have to support the line and purchase the comics as they come.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    So happy that people are buying MOTU!

We're at #5 overall today. I can't @ us taking out Avengers vs X-Men.

I'm not really that surprised. I just like dramatic humor.

I find it funny all the people here surprised that the comic is selling like mad, .
    I'm not surprised, for a fan group there is 'a disturbing lack of faith' in the brand that runs around here. I don't get it myself but there are a lot of members that don't think MOTU can be successful outside of us. or maybe it's a vocal minority, but they are very vocal about their lack of faith in the brand.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I'm not surprised, for a fan group there is 'a disturbing lack of faith' in the brand that runs around here. I don't get it myself but there are a lot of members that don't think MOTU can be successful outside of us. or maybe it's a vocal minority, but they are very vocal about their lack of faith in the brand.
    Or maybe it could be the way the company has handled the property in the last 15+ years that causes skepticism with the fanbase? Mattel has just recently started to show competency regarding the franchise branching out again into other media- as a result I think a lot of people are still adjusting.

People have been nervous about MOTU pretty much since the end of 200X. It's just been the general mood. I think people feel like if that big relaunch failed then things could fall apart at any moment.

Say what you want about Mattel's handling of the line - the success of MOTU shows that they've actually done one thing VERY right. They are making great toys right now and releasing them in a format that was unheard of for a major toy company. And it's been a huge success. I do wish Mattel had done more to keep the brand active. But this comic is definitely a great step in the right direction.

hehe i would like to buy 10 copys just for support lol
    cmon guys we can do it!!!! we can be #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    hehe i would like to buy 10 copys just for support lol
    cmon guys we can do it!!!! we can be #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    YOU KNOW IT DAMNIT! Regardless though I think this has easily sent Mattel the message.

Or maybe it could be the way the company has handled the property in the last 15+ years that causes skepticism with the fanbase? Mattel has just recently started to show competency regarding the franchise branching out again into other media- as a result I think a lot of people are still adjusting.
    I dont trust mattel but I believe in the brand. I'm talking about members that say "face it he-man won't be popular, it's too niche, it's too this it's not that, kids are this and that etc." not the fans that think if mattel were an oil company, they'd make gasoline a poor seller.
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 26, 2012 at 11:23am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The comic is good. Really good. But it doesn't show him in his armor and there's almost no link to MOTU. I like SLL and this comic only improves on that. I would love to see a Spector comic. Can he be salvaged by a good story?

I think it was a masterful strategy that the first comic is about SLL , the character and the story was created by the main creative responsible from DC, geoff Johns attracts people.This caught the attention of DC fans, I read several of them excited about the comic.
    results in sight.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior

Best post in this thread. I agree with you 100%

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I dont trust mattel but I believe in the brand. I'm talking about members that say "face it he-man won't be popular, it's too niche, it's too this it's not that, kids are this and that etc." not the fans that think if mattel were an oil company, they'd make gasoline a poor seller.

Ohhhh in that case then I agree with you 100%- this brand is clearly a license to print money still if used in the right way.

Well, this comic was my first digital comic purchase. As much as I really want a printed copy, I don't see it happening. But if they do print these out, I will still get them. Plus I couldn't wait to read the issue.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    KingRandor82 - I'm not surprised the comic sells well with the logo Masters of the Universe on it, but you make some mistaken assumptions in your post, mostly about kids reading comics. Sadly, most comic readers are not kids, and haven't been for a VERY long time. The comic book industry depends on the die-hards, a lot of whom likely are at least peripherally aware of MOTU and He-Man. The fact that this book is selling well even without He-Man or Skeletor on the cover likely has less to do with a cool cover and a knight on the inside than the recognition factor of the title itself and the promotion of the upcoming series, which, to me, is even better news as it says there is still strength in the brand beyond just the toy line and its followers.

And, for the record, as a kid, I was a WHOLE LOT more likely to pick up a book if I recognized the characters on the cover; I passed on the Legion for years for that very reason, even though it eventually became a favorite of mine once I did try it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    KingRandor82 - I'm not surprised the comic sells well with the logo Masters of the Universe on it, but you make some mistaken assumptions in your post, mostly about kids reading comics. Sadly, most comic readers are not kids, and haven't been for a VERY long time. The comic book industry depends on the die-hards, a lot of whom likely are at least peripherally aware of MOTU and He-Man. The fact that this book is selling well even without He-Man or Skeletor on the cover likely has less to do with a cool cover and a knight on the inside than the recognition factor of the title itself and the promotion of the upcoming series, which, to me, is even better news as it says there is still strength in the brand beyond just the toy line and its followers.

And, for the record, as a kid, I was a WHOLE LOT more likely to pick up a book if I recognized the characters on the cover; I passed on the Legion for years for that very reason, even though it eventually became a favorite of mine once I did try it.
    Sorry to disagree with you statement isn't quite accurate. I just attended the Denver comic con (First year con) and the turn out was really good. There was a pretty heavy focus on comics in panels and booths and i saw a good mixture of age groups. You are correct that the greatest number of comic readers are adults these days, but there was a very sizable cross section of kids and young adults in the comic panels as well. As for the second part of your statement, at some point every character is new to you, unless you were born with knowledge of He-Man or super hero characters. We are defiantly drawn to what we know and is comfortable, but that does not mean we never take a step into something that is new. When readers today take a step into something new with these new digital firsts and the new series, they are not going to be worried about shoehorning of new characters. Heck, for some SLL might be their first taste of Masters and given how much I enjoyed the digital first #1 I think that great.