Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Digital First #1 "The Lost Knight" Comic Discussion SPOILERS

Heroic Warrior

Masters of the Universe: Digital First #1 "The Lost Knight" Comic Discussion SPOILERS

First Issue, with Laser-Lot cover, is now up. 0.99 USD at comixology

I just read the story and I really liked the backstory on SLL. This makes me want him even more.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Thanks for the heads-up. I just purchased it.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Oh boy i had to laugh when i saw Skeletor and his gang

I really liked the last page shot of the bad guys.
    Meow,
    Princess Selina Desire

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, so I read it, and it was pretty cool. I actually like the look of Skeletor and crew.

Also, I think this is proof that the bios are not necessarily cannon for other media...

Oh, and real blood in a Masters of the Universe comic? This isn't our childhood mini-comics story. We have matured!

Well worth the 99 cents!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I just got a comixology account so I could check out the issue tomorrow. I tested it on Amanda Conner's Ani-Comi Wonder Woman series. That book is off the hook! Fans of WW the diplomat probably won't like it, but fans of WW the warrior might!
    It continues into the Batgirl series... And beyond. As a fan of the figures, I was happy to see a comic based on them.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/06...k-debuts-today

The second chapter (7/14) is written by Mike Costa
    UGH! That guy makes Toyguru's work look like Shakespeare's.

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    Oh, and real blood in a Masters of the Universe comic? This isn't our childhood mini-comics story. We have matured!
    Since when does blood equal maturity?!
    Also, it's not the first MOTU comic book to show blood.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow! Art by Howard Porter!

• I love the atmosphere in the forest, when the boys are being chased.
    • Beastmen!
    • I like the idea that Scareglow haunts a river. Karak Nul is Preternia ancient? And they said "Scareglows"...I'm not sure if I like multiples of him.
    • Well...this is the closest thing to a Sir Laser Lot mini-comic. A pity we don't see him in armor, bit there might be still time for that. I like the explanation of his powers. This is definitely why mini-comics are needed.
    • Eternia Tower is on the map...
    • Argh...a Spector reference. Rant coming in a new thread, but it's constructive...
    • That cameo at the end with Skeletor's main gang! Evil-Lyn looks all Maleficent-like.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 23, 2012 at 10:00am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Well...i love the tone of the story.
    When the mention sll name it hurts. It just illustrates how bad a name it is. It doeant fit his persona or tone of thestory. I hate the mention of spector. So skelly and crew mention spector as one to avoid...that builds my fear ugh. over all i give it a 7. Maybe 6.5. Hate evil lyns redesign everyni else isnt bad. Sll is black? I like how he looks without the suit. And i like his character..but as vertigoink said the toy doesnt look like that. sigh. I hope the main mjni series focuses on the real motu characters. I understand this was a sll spotlight...but the spector mentio really irked me.
    Last edited by krosfyah; June 23, 2012 at 10:01am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    UGH! That guy makes Toyguru's work look like Shakespeare's.
    I like his COBRA run, but his Transformers work was terrible.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Also, it's not the first MOTU comic book to show blood.
    Fair point about blood not equalling maturity, however, this is the first time I recall seeing violence on this level in MOTU comics...

Laser Lot bashes in the heads of a bunch of beast men

Have we seen anything this graphic before? I guess the MVC work might have, what with Kronis/Trap Jaw's transformation... It's just a bit shocking when, for me approaching 40 next year, my nostalgic memories are of the more "innocent" 80s media.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    I find brightly colored heros are fine for toys and cartoons but for a serious live action film or comic that is taking a realistic tone, I want realistic armor and clothing. I'm so pumped for this new comic just because of the new looks of the characters.
    Ok, show me a real barbaric looking warrior from another planet.

Fair point about blood not equalling maturity, however, this is the first time I recall seeing violence on this level in MOTU comics...
    See Icons of evil Trap Jaw.

Edit:

Last edited by Grimbot; June 23, 2012 at 10:04am.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I like his COBRA run, but his Transformers work was terrible.
    If memory serves, there wasn't much for him to work with given the way things had played before, on Transformers. His run on Cobra was excellent, though. But... This is Battle Cat right? What kind of story should we be expecting... He seems like an odd spotlight choice.

And I'm unclear, are these spotlights tied into the upcoming series, or standalone/part of something else?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, show me a real barbaric looking warrior from another planet.

See Icons of evil Trap Jaw.

Edit:
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...nt_34_full.jpg
    See the last part of the post you quoted.

Widget
    Im assuming they will all tie in... as this was one was titled a Prologue.

Wasn't a bad read... I enjoyed it and I liked how they worked the new characters in.

While I'm one of those who loves Sir Laser-Lot, I wish his plume was more "lasery" looking.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; June 23, 2012 at 10:26am.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Just read it and liked it - a bit different but still recognisable as masters. I really like the new redesigns - Evil-Lyn especially!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Is there ever going to be a physical copy?

Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    Wow that cover looks mighty cool. I really can't understand all the antipathies against Sir Laser-Lot!

Not less cool than let's say Stratos!
    I was with you until you trashed Stratos.

JOIN THE GROUP...

See, now why can't the bios flesh things out more like this prologue comic did? This comic did what I wish the bios would do: give the character's powers some explanation and origin. And also give us a bit more info as to where they fall in the story. Now Sir Laser Lot actually makes a bit of sense...
    While I groaned when I saw Sir Laser Lot was the focus of this debut issue, I have to say- it was done well! A nice "in" to the story... I like the comic book version of Sir Laser Lot- I just wish the action figure itself came out better!

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    On a first reading, I'm underwhelmed.... But I guess I'll see how I feel after further readings and further issues
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Have we seen anything this graphic before? I guess the MVC work might have, what with Kronis/Trap Jaw's transformation... It's just a bit shocking when, for me approaching 40 next year, my nostalgic memories are of the more "innocent" 80s media.
    Pre-Filmation MOTU was just as violent, with characters cutting down villains with axes and swords. Check out the original DC Comics Masters of the Universe mini-series' first and second issues for the best examples of this. In the first issue, Battle Cat, He-Man and Blonde Bikini Teela are actually having a conversation mid-battle about their preferred methods to dispatch foes...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    Is there ever going to be a physical copy?
    I could see it happening in a trade...

Maybe we might see physical copies if the book really takes off.

Haven't you heard? The only way an adult can still embrace this franchise is if it reads like a blonde haired Conan. If you disagree, you must not be mature.

Like me.

JOIN THE GROUP...

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I just downloaded and read the digital thing. It wasn't mind blowing but I did enjoy it -- liked some of the elements there of our knight. The thing that weirded me out the most was how Evil Lyn looked.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Eh what the hell, I signed up and got the app for my phone. Good times!

Heroic Warrior
    This thread is honestly proof that people will take anything Masters that is thrown at us and not say a word about the negatives- but I will

- That is some of the most god awful art I have seen since Rob Liefeld drew for Image.
    - Why weren't we given a Laser Lot that looks like the side story version- THAT is what Masters is. He should have either been saved for later or given a helmet less head seeing as how he looks far better without it on. -The fact Spector is mentioned DOES prove that the 30th and other new characters will pour over into other media so people still saying it won't are mistaken. -Beastman looks like a hairy B.A. Baracus, Evil-Lyn looks like a slutty Maleficent, Trap Jaw is quite passable as are Tri-Klops, Mer-Man, and Skeletor of whom I initially hated the new look for. -The blood being shown was taken wayyyyy over the limits of good taste and just seemed to be a case of "oh look we can throw gore in for gores sake". -I actually have little complaints about the story which is shocking given who wrote it; we're not talking Peter David level but it was still more than passable. All in all, give me a Laser Lot that looks like this comic and I'll give you my money Mattel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Haven't you heard? The only way an adult can still embrace this franchise is if it reads like a blonde haired Conan. If you disagree, you must not be mature.

Like me.
    Then I'm a total baby maturity wise lol!