Thread: He-man & The Masters of the Universe #1 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

Hybrid View

He-man & The Masters of the Universe #1 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

This is the discussion thread for He-man and the Masters of the Universe #1 from DC Comics.

This is a spoiler thread. This thread will be opened on 7/4/12 by 10am.
    Spoiler tags do not need to be used on this thread so read at your own risk.

Standard Cover:

Variant cover:

Just read it...

Ok i am a Huge comic geek so bear with me...

Opening with Adam in the woods is interesting and very much the approach i thought they'd take (Memory loss, he was once prince adam we know him to be) but gaining his memory back through dreams and meeting Zoar felt rushed.

The book picked up quite a bit with the intro of Beastman, guard of Adam's Forrest prison and stopping his escape. classic battle ensuses, some nice adam using brains over brawn Beastman beaten and left to lick his injuries and retreat to snake mountain while Adam goes on to regain his past. skeletor calls his army into action cliffhanger

While not bad i read Robinsons other book "Earth 2" issue 3# right after and it was far better. story telling at its comic best, i think robinson is still a master of the art but is still finding his footing in this world and is bound for great things here...

The big let down is the art, Phillip tan is not on his game here, i have seen him do better. alot of awkward poses, the splash page of the heroic warriors vs Skeletors crew should be awe inspiring, instead its lackluster... but the worst offense is the color and inking. judging by the amount of inkers and colorists they have in the credits this book was rushed to be complete ... it does suffer for it. So many eyes look weird in this book. and a strange panel of beastman in black with orange head but not line work detail ??? Is that meant to be shading! seems more like cutting corners to me...

C+ to B- for me on this first issue... hopefully they will find there footing and improve but a shaky start
    Last edited by eddie3429; July 4, 2012 at 05:52am. Reason: extra details

I cant find it in the DC app.
    Is is coming out digitally at the same time?

not sure with the july 4th holiday in states... but in australia its night time 4th of july so i got my copy instore (All Star Comics Melbourne )

Is this going to be available on Comixology?

it should be as a dc title but license products can be weird

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Is this going to be available on Comixology?
    They announced it on their website, but I can't seem to find it, there's only a button to buy printed copies.

To celebrate the launch of the new comics, we thought it would be fun to take a look at some early Philip Tan designs created for our Masters of the Universe comics. How different are they from what ended up in the comic? Be sure to pick up or download the first issue tomorrow to find out!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I just got back from the comic shop, I read it right away, I loved it. I love new new take on things, can't wait till the next issue!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I'm sorry, should have clarified that I picked mine up at my local comic shop.

I liked it. When Adam first met Beast Man he looked surprised that such a creature exists. This was a little weird considering what kind of creatures exist on Eternia, good or bad. It seems like Adam was very isolated in that forest. It would have been better of he knew about Beast Man though. Beast Man could serve as a boogie man who was stopping Adam from journeying out an discovering the rest of the world and the whole truth.

I had no problem with Adam defeating BM "too easily" or Randor being called "Fedor". Adam was once He-Man and even if he doesn't remember, it all must be somewhere in his subconsciousness. Fedor may not be Randor at all, maybe Randor is locked away somewhere. Skeletor doesn't have to know who He-Man is, he may have erased Adam's memory simply because he is the crown prince, and then sent him to a forest to live with a crazy guy. Maybe Fedor is actually an evil warrior in disguise?

Ah, it will be interesting!

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    I just skimmed the first issue, I'll fully read it later, but I'm just not sure what to think about what they did, for Adam.
    Does Galactus fart?

According to comiclist.com...

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Issue #2 comes out on Aug. 1 and Issue #3 comes out on Sept. 5.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I enjoyed it. Like most modern comics, I thought it felt rushed and relied more on art than text, but I did enjoy it.

To be honest, I liked the .99 sir laser lot comic more, though...
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    I enjoyed it. Like most modern comics, I thought it felt rushed and relied more on art than text, but I did enjoy it.

To be honest, I liked the .99 sir laser lot comic more, though...
    I actually felt the exact same way! The Sir LL comic was formatted oddly, but I think it would make 10 regular pages (exactly half of the regular #1 comic). Even though it was much shorter and a prologue (and did have its faults), I felt the story's pace was great, it had action, it had drama, gave you little mysteries to intrigue you and it left you wanting to find out what happens next. I didn't really get that with the new comic. I mean, for sure it had action...but the pacing was off and the story wasn't as rich as I was hoping for.

I REALLY hope issue #2 gives more story, depth, etc. I have high hopes for issue #3 because the cover of that one is AMAZING! If the story doesn't match, I will be heartbroken!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    On a further note… The whole thing, just has a very traditional fantasy vibe to it which I really like. The idea of a young woodsman going out into the world, venturing into the unknown to eventually overthrow a dark lord is as classical as it gets.
    It is! I do wish, as was noted before, that the woods were made to look more like they were on Eternia and less like they were on earth. Although that they're in the shadow of Snake Mountain is cool.

I enjoyed the comic too, and am totally looking forward to the next issue.

chosen1heath

chill!

Good thing I called "The Tangled Web" to reserve my copy, ( on advice from dirt from PCN). They were SOLD OUT by thursday, except for my reservation! So good sign! I will likely get the digital version later when it drops in price. For MOTU I prefer physical product.

All this negativity here. Guys, chill. Just give it a chance. The art IS reminiscent of the golden books. (thanks to whoever mentioned that).

Just give the story some time. It is not meant to be a "one shot". It will likely take all six issues to get the story out. Just think "Spiderman Reign". All the haters could be DOWN on the elderly Spidey with little ambition in issue 1. But no one was because.....It was clearly a mini-series. Everyone knew it would all resolve in a sensical way. So here, Fedor might just be Randor. Maybe even the lady is Marlena, or even Evil Lynn. I can't wait 'til the
    Mini-series clears it all up. But I trust it will! We are talking DC Comics here. They won't let us down.