Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-man & The Masters of the Universe #1 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

He-man & The Masters of the Universe #1 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

This is the discussion thread for He-man and the Masters of the Universe #1 from DC Comics.

This is a spoiler thread. This thread will be opened on 7/4/12 by 10am.
    Spoiler tags do not need to be used on this thread so read at your own risk.

Standard Cover:

Variant cover:

Just read it...

Ok i am a Huge comic geek so bear with me...

Opening with Adam in the woods is interesting and very much the approach i thought they'd take (Memory loss, he was once prince adam we know him to be) but gaining his memory back through dreams and meeting Zoar felt rushed.

The book picked up quite a bit with the intro of Beastman, guard of Adam's Forrest prison and stopping his escape. classic battle ensuses, some nice adam using brains over brawn Beastman beaten and left to lick his injuries and retreat to snake mountain while Adam goes on to regain his past. skeletor calls his army into action cliffhanger

While not bad i read Robinsons other book "Earth 2" issue 3# right after and it was far better. story telling at its comic best, i think robinson is still a master of the art but is still finding his footing in this world and is bound for great things here...

The big let down is the art, Phillip tan is not on his game here, i have seen him do better. alot of awkward poses, the splash page of the heroic warriors vs Skeletors crew should be awe inspiring, instead its lackluster... but the worst offense is the color and inking. judging by the amount of inkers and colorists they have in the credits this book was rushed to be complete ... it does suffer for it. So many eyes look weird in this book. and a strange panel of beastman in black with orange head but not line work detail ??? Is that meant to be shading! seems more like cutting corners to me...

C+ to B- for me on this first issue... hopefully they will find there footing and improve but a shaky start
    Last edited by eddie3429; July 4, 2012 at 05:52am. Reason: extra details

I cant find it in the DC app.
    Is is coming out digitally at the same time?

not sure with the july 4th holiday in states... but in australia its night time 4th of july so i got my copy instore (All Star Comics Melbourne )

Is this going to be available on Comixology?

it should be as a dc title but license products can be weird

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Is this going to be available on Comixology?
    They announced it on their website, but I can't seem to find it, there's only a button to buy printed copies.

To celebrate the launch of the new comics, we thought it would be fun to take a look at some early Philip Tan designs created for our Masters of the Universe comics. How different are they from what ended up in the comic? Be sure to pick up or download the first issue tomorrow to find out!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I'm guessing it should be on Comixology today, but folks have said they sometimes wait as late as 2 pm or so Eastern Time to add it to the site... although the digital-first with SLL was earlier. Something like 10 am, I thought?

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT

I got it! Boom. Yay @ the ads for Mattycollector and Power-Con.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm guessing it should be on Comixology today, but folks have said they sometimes wait as late as 2 pm or so Eastern Time to add it to the site... although the digital-first with SLL was earlier. Something like 10 am, I thought?
    Comixology just tweeted about 20 minutes ago that today's comics are up. Unfortunately, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, is not one of the 180 issues added to the site.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be on comixology.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Man, I am royally bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Yeah, it doesn't seem to be on comixology.
    Booooooo

I wonder if this is because maybe the comic has limited distribution? Is Comixology available worldwide?

Crap. This sucks. I wonder why it wasn't added?
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Does anyone know where I can buy both variant covers online. I don't have a comic shop in reasonable driving distance anymore around here and I aint driving my truck back and forth that far for a $3 comic book. I just recently got ComiXology for the digital Sir Laser-Lot one and that's fine and dandy, and I may even buy them digitally for the hell of it, but I'm old fashioned and I want physical comic books in my hands. ALL covers too. Sorry if this isn't the correct thread to ask this question but I'm lost.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Man, I am royally bummed.
    Ditto! My physical copy is coming in the mail and the local comic book shop isn't open today (and they don't carry a ton of comics anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I got it! Boom. Yay @ the ads for Mattycollector and Power-Con.
    Could you post a link, because I still don't see it anywhere ...
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

My comic shop got it yesterday, and it was cool to get it early. I really enjoyed it a lot more than the digital download comic.

Hold the press there is hope, I tweeted Comixology and asked them about He-Man. They responded with:

New DC Comics are released at 2pm EDT. Sit tight we will let you know when the books are available.

LOL - just saw that. I did the same thing. I shall cling to that hope... now to do other things with my day until then :grumble grumble:

I just got back from the comic shop, I read it right away, I loved it. I love new new take on things, can't wait till the next issue!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I'm sorry, should have clarified that I picked mine up at my local comic shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Hold the press there is hope, I tweeted Comixology and asked them about He-Man. They responded with:
    So 2pm EDT is in less than 2 hours from now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    And that is what in EST time??? 5???
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Waiting for more reviews
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Picked mine up today at my local shop (though, sadly, the variant cover was not available)!!!

Basically, the gist of the story for any of those who are interested, is that:

Adam is now a woodsman living in the shadow of Snake Mountain, and fantasizing about another life (which we knew already). Zoar finds him, and suddenly he realizes he needs to go do 'something'--though it's not made expressly clear whether that means finding Grayskull specifically, or if the object of his search is a mystery even to him. He asks a neighbor--more on her below--to look after his aging and sick father, 'Fedor'. Shortly after starting his quest, he is attacked by Beastman. They fight for a time, until Adam eventually bests him using a combination of brains and brawn. He continues on his way, with Zoar leading the way into (what looks like) the wastelands, while Skeletor dispatches Beastman to alert 'everyone' that Adam must be stopped...

I was thrilled to see Skeletor's old bone throne make an appearance! And the art was certainly better than the SLL digital comic. I honestly didn't want it to end!!! Also, I think the woman Adam asked to keep an eye on Fedor might actually be Evil-Lyn in disguise (which is how Beastman found him so quickly)--she looked a bit like EL's old woman guise.

On the flipside, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Zoar actually transform into the Sorceress, and also that we didn't get clarification over whether or not the blonde in Adam's dream sequence is Teela or She-Ra (though my fear is that it's the former).

In the 'meh' vein, I was surprised to see that Stratos (seen only in the dream sequence we've already been shown) is wearing leg armor. Seems a bit odd, if you ask me. And is 'Fedor' supposed to be Randor? It seems like it, but why would his name change and not Adam's (unless it's because the latter is a much more common name)?
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook