Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: He-man & The Masters of the Universe #1 - DC Comics - SPOILERS

It was ok.

It's opened up with a mystery and the beginning of a journey...

Design wise: Not really sold on the infectious looking bits of chain mail armor that is encompassing the characters on various parts of their bodies.
    Other than that art is cool and it's a different take so I'm dealing with it.

Adam beating Beast Man: FOUL!!! Now considering he is a woodsman I would've thought Adam would've used the forest to help incapacitate Beast Man; I'm ok with how he worked him over but using a punch to finish him off... REALLY???

Since it's been discussed I do not consider this a spoiler, but what version of Teela (or Adora) are we getting now? I mean if we are looking for product recognition on SOME level can we keep some things consistent???

Well in order to make a final judgement I would really wait til after all six issues are out, small critiques will have to do for now...
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

This is slightly off-topic, but I just now noticed that "Amethyst Princess of Gemworld" is part of DC's new 52. I remember some folks were claiming she was part of the inspiration behind She-Ra, or were at least comparing the two at some point in the past. Just a random thought.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Recognizability, I guess. Casual people pick up comics based on the cover.
    sorry but that doesn't fly, if you want people to recognise the brand then why change the look literally on the first page. the random chain mail looks stupid and all seems for ohh i'm gonna stick my signature on this from the artist

Choice between blonde and redhead, both legitimate versions being original and iconic, respectively. I guess they chose the blonde version.
    umm sorry both may be "iconic" to a select group of fans, but outside of the first odd minicomic 90% of the time teela has been a red head, original toy(mass produced i know about the variant), filmation, golden books 200x show and cartoon. the blonde only really came into like i said the first mini comic and NA. plus again it just complicates things people are not sure if its teela or adora, making them both blonde was daft

It's probably Randor with his memory wiped. He's "delusional" and thinks he's a king.
    but it was adam who says name not his father, so he why would he get it wrong

It's probably easier for Skeletor to use his magical device to erase memories instead of actively failing to kill his enemies for years.
    but if he's changed time and adam never became he-man, no one would remember all his failures, seriously the guy lives in the woods no masters, no royal guard etc, send in bomb or burn the place to the ground. its just a plot hole
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

If you are reading the digital comic,
    Don't forget to rate it 5 stars after the last page
    We need the rating

Darn it, I keep getting an error when I want to check out
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

[QUOTE=JonWes;3055118]Hmm...

- Adam has an axe and is fighting Beastman... so he uses the axe... to cut of a tree limb and jam it in Beastman's back? Why not just use the axe? Maybe he knew that would be fatal and that was against his code? He didn't seem to have trouble drawing blood. Just struck me as a bit odd.

I thought this was odd as well. I have a sharp metal object to use. But I want a challenge so I'll cut a branch off the tree & use it as a weapon.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
    sorry but that doesn't fly, if you want people to recognise the brand then why change the look literally on the first page. the random chain mail looks stupid and all seems for ohh i'm gonna stick my signature on this from the artist
    It's true, people tend to buy a book from it's cover, hence the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover".

umm sorry both may be "iconic" to a select group of fans, but outside of the first odd minicomic 90% of the time teela has been a red head, original toy(mass produced i know about the variant), filmation, golden books 200x show and cartoon. the blonde only really came into like i said the first mini comic and NA. plus again it just complicates things people are not sure if its teela or adora, making them both blonde was daft
    She-Ra/Adora doesn't have the monopoly on Blonde hair; besides she wears a headdress.

Teela was blonde in almost all MOTU media (except for King of Castle Grayskull where she haid red hair) back during the Pre-Filmation days in 1982-83. Although Teela has been a redhead in MOTU since 1983 and in 200X and even a brunette (1987 movie), blonde came back for New Adventures and now in Classics. Teela being blonde is not unheard of. It's happened throughout Masters history. DC probably simply chose the version they liked, just like how DC chose the 200X colored Evil-Lyn over the more iconic lemon yellow colored Evil-Lyn.

Adam's memory isn't right either. He thinks he's a woodsman instead of a prince.

but if he's changed time and adam never became he-man, no one would remember all his failures, seriously the guy lives in the woods no masters, no royal guard etc, send in bomb or burn the place to the ground. its just a plot hole
    I'm not sure if he's changed time or reality to that extent or we wouldn't have a story. Skeletor probably tampered with things to make the Masters into "regular people" instead of the heroes who have opposed him time and time again.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    First off -- hats off to the digital version of this. I love how the Comixology app "follows" the panels. It was like I was watching one of the old Golden Book Videos! It actually made me want to buy a few comics to read.

Now for the actual issue...

I really enjoyed the entire comic, story and art combined. I think my two favorite parts were the use of Zoar and how Beastman, without thinking, calls Adam by name. I was a bit confused about Randor's name change, but we can't judge that yet. Only when the mini series is complete will we know if there is or is not an explanation. For the most part, I do not mind any of the redesigns I see except for the attempt to make Teela foxy which is already trademarked to Princess Adora.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I didn't care for it. Not even a little bit.

Art was (save for a couple of Beast Man shots) poor to middle of the road.

The Skeletor reveal at the end should have been epic and threatening. It was the opposite.

The scripting was very poor ("the wood in it"??).

I bought the digital copy because I thought I'd give the series a chance. The SLL issue was bad, but I held out hope that this one would be better.
    I was wrong.

The toys remain the only thing good about this iteration (post-2007) of Masters.

I'd rather re-read my MVC issues 20 times than this...stuff.

I've wasted money on both Issue #1s, I don't need to see any more.

For those of you that enjoyed it, I envy you.

Val, Emiliano...your place as Top MOTU Comic Men is quite safe.

I give it 1 out of 5 stars.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; July 4, 2012 at 05:24pm.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Isn't it possible that Adam and He-Man in this incarnation are one and the same? Perhaps even Adam somewhat has retained some ability to tap into his power?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post

Perhaps he didn´t. Adam might think Fedor IS his father. Making up the whole royal kitchen stuff to lighten up the sick, old man.
    Nothing better to wipe everyones memory and then keeping them well apart, Especially wehen they are family. So Randor is somewhere on Eternia (Snake Mountain Dungeon or so) and Adam ist given the poor old man to act as his foster-father.

OR

Randor is transformed into Fedor to humiliate him like Adam. Oh the irony: the royal highnesses chopping wood

Not bought it yet, but saw BC posted in this thread & was hoping for a good review, as I often agree with him. BuT:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I didn't care for it. Not even a little bit.
    GAH!

I'm still going to buy it.... but no longer excited.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Not bought it yet, but saw BC posted in this thread & was hoping for a good review, as I often agree with him. BuT:

GAH!

I'm still going to buy it.... but no longer excited.
    You may very well like it. I am, by no means, the arbiter of good taste.

It just didn't taste very good to me!!
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

You may very well like it. I am, by no means, the arbiter of good taste.
    Oh, I know. I'M the arbiter of good taste ;P
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

the art is much better than the horrible digital comic, but i still don't like the redesigns - totally unnecessary changes.

i like that even though Adam cannot remember his past, there are still traces of He-Man in him. and i think Fedor is not Randor. Skeletor pobably seperated the royal family members to prevent them from remembering (pun intended).

i wonder what the woodsman Adam will say on his first transformation. "By the Power of the Forest. I've got Wood!"
    Last edited by danvin; July 4, 2012 at 05:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by danvin View Post
    the art is much better than the horrible digital comic, but i still don't like the redesigns - totally unnecessary changes.

i like that even though Adam cannot remember his past, there are still traces of He-Man in him. and i think Fedor is not Randor. Skeletor pobably seperated the royal family members to prevent them from remembering (no pun intended).

i wonder what the woodsman Adam will say on his fist transformation. "By the Power of the Forest. I've got Wood!"
    I forgot to mention that...

These redesigns are not only unnecessary, they're very poorly executed.

Redesigns CAN be done correctly. I point to 200x as evidence.
    Redesigns CAN be executed properly. I point to damn near everything that Emiliano has ever produced.

I think the worst part for me is when I think of how good it COULD be if Mattel CARED to hire TALENTED people that CARE about, and have passion for, the property.

It is clear that the creative teams for the SLL release and this ongoing are/have neither.

I forgot to mention that...

These redesigns are not only unnecessary, they're very poorly executed.
    Redesigns CAN be done correctly. I point to 200x as evidence.
    Redesigns CAN be executed properly. I point to damn near everything that Emiliano has ever produced.

I think the worst part for me is when I think of how good it COULD be if Mattel CARED to hire TALENTED people that CARE about, and have passion for, the property.
    It is clear that the creative teams for the SLL release and this ongoing are/have neither.
    yes. just imagine if Emiliano had done this. this would have been a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by danvin View Post
    yes. just imagine if Emiliano had done this. this would have been a dream come true.
    If only...

Interesting read.. I think I know what's going on here...

Skeletor has been meddling with time. On the last page he was holding the skull laser lot gave to Skeletor in the mini comic. My guess is Skeletor can't just go back in to the past to kill Adam because Spector would probably stop him, but he can appearantly change minor things which have great effects. Like Adam being a woodsman now. These butterfly effect things might go unnoticed to Spector or something. I think this is an alternate universe to the regular canon we are used to but the other one does exist.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I just downloaded a digital copy, the art could be better but it IS better than the sir laserlot one...

what I really didn´t like is: why the eff yet another continuity?

DC and Mattel say they want the creators to experiment and tell us their own version of MOTU, but...

CAN SOMEONE JUST STICK TO THE CURRENT MOTUC BIOS AND STORYLINE? for God´s sake...
    Last edited by carlosdeanda; July 4, 2012 at 06:32pm. Reason: typo

I think we, as MOTU fans would make our lives easier just to accept that there will be more and more continuities going forward. Transformers fans seem to embrace it (now) and I think it's for the best. I do hope that one day if MOTU keeps being popular we'll not only have new continuity comics but maybe even some "Classics" continuity comics like the Transformers Gen 1 stuff.

the reaction of the fans is overwhelmingly positive with the comic.

great day for a motu-fan!
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think we, as MOTU fans would make our lives easier just to accept that there will be more and more continuities going forward. Transformers fans seem to embrace it (now) and I think it's for the best. I do hope that one day if MOTU keeps being popular we'll not only have new continuity comics but maybe even some "Classics" continuity comics like the Transformers Gen 1 stuff.
    We (TransFans) that have been around for longer that 10 minutes ENDURE Bayformers because the money generated gives us Classics and American releases of the Masterpiece line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    the reaction of the fans is overwhelmingly positive with the comic.

great day for a motu-fan!

You HONESTLY think the art was good? That the pacing wasn't plodding? That the redesigns weren't lazy and poorly executed?

I just think that (compared to what we've gotten in the past and what Mattel /DC COULD give us) this is a lazy effort made by talent (term used VERY loosely) that have no affinity or connection to the property.

We (TransFans) that have been around for longer that 10 minutes ENDURE Bayformers because the money generated gives us Classics and American releases of the Masterpiece line.
    Yes, perhaps "embrace" was overstating it... a lot. I think endure is probably more accurate.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdeanda View Post
    I just downloaded a digital copy, the art could be better but it IS better than the sir laserlot one...

what I really didn´t like is: why the eff yet another continuity?

DC and Mattel say they want the creators to experiment and tell us their own version of MOTU, but...

CAN SOMEONE JUST STICK TO THE CURRENT MOTUC BIOS AND STORYLINE? for God´s sake...
    It's probably because it worked so well for Hasbro. Transformers and Star Wars have multiple eras, reaching different audiences instead of catering to one single audience.

MOTU could be the same way. Instead of just the Filmation/Vintage/200X/MYP "I have the power" MOTU, there could be different incarnations. We could definitely see multiple MOTU books if it ever took off again.

• The Filmation/Vintage/200X/MYP "I have the power" MOTU
    • Pre-Filmation
    • Princess of Power
    • New Adventures
    • 1987 movie

And video games too. Fall of Cybertron is giving us Shockwave and all five Combaticons. Perhaps some Dinobots and Insecticons next year too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr