Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confession: MOC Collector-turned-Opener

Heroic Warrior

Confession: MOC Collector-turned-Opener

I was once an adamant MOC collector, for MOTUC and any other line. But this has all changed recently.

A little backstory: I was born in 1984, and my childhood was filled with MOTU, TMNT, GI Joe: ARAH, etc. Of course, as a kid, everything was opened and played with. But Star Wars POTF changed that. I was old enough to realize the ridiculous secondary market prices, and potential for profit, some of those figures had. I was friends with some local scalpers, and I'd help them hunt, and they make me trades on figures I really wanted. For 15+ years I collected MOC, scalped, etc. But then came MOTUC.

I got into the line fairly early on. Stratos was the first figure I purchased from Matty, I think in February 2009. In early 2011, I moved out of my long-time residence. Many of my MOC toys did not make the trip, and were sold for space/$$$. I had some big collections, including some first-run Playmates TMNT MOC unpunched, and other stuff. I also sold some of my MOC MOTUC.

I quicky regretted selling MOTUC, and re-bought most of what I sold. MOTUC kept getting better and better. We were getting beasts, giants, a complete Royal Family, and other stuff I'd always wanted but never had. Faced with another impending move, up to 800 miles, I realized my MOC MOTUC might not make the trip. But this was the one line I couldn't part with. So I made the choice to open my figures, as I could store them loose in a quarter of the space, and motivated myself by believing that once I moved I could setup a nice loose display, like many of you on the forums have. So little by little I started opening my MOTUC.

And I kept opening my MOTUC. And now they're all open. I'm not a completest, but probably have 80% of the figures. It took me awhile to talk myself into it, but it's been a big change in my collecting life. I no longer freak out about bent corners, crushed bubbles, and so forth. I've been able to pick up more loose figures at much cheaper prices. And now, pretty much anything I buy, MOTUC or not, gets opened.

I saw someone on here once say that MOTUC was the definitive MOTU line. We'll have other Star Wars/Transformers/GI Joe, etc lines, but MOTU will never get better than this. And I agree with that poster. I couldn't give up my MOTUC collection, and changed years of collection habits to stay in the game. I've only had one loose ankle, and one broken accessory (Leech's net, no big deal).

Sorry if I rambled, but I enjoy reading other members' tales of collecting, and this is mine.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Heroic Warrior
    Great story man , Ive always been a firm believer in the out of package collections. I keep a few extras on card with the intention to sell and then use that money to buy more toys i can get and open and play with and display. Having 2 boys (5 and 8) only fuels it! Thats my opinion and im stickin to it!

Congrats to you for enjoying your toys out of package! I'm mostly a loose collector, but I still leave the occasional toy or figure MIP if it has truly spectacular artwork. I've sought out some rare 1970's pieces for my Marvel collection JUST for the packaging. Some of those old cards/boxes were better than the toy inside.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Heroic Warrior
    I began with the intention of collecting MOC when the line first came out but once I have He-man and Beastman in hand I couldn't help but open them. Then I had both MOC and loose. The line eventually got too large so I sold my MOC collection and kept my figures loose. I don't care how many figures you have MOC and how great the condition is, you will never be able to fully appreciate these figures unless they are out of the box. Plus, when my nephews and nieces come over they love playing with them. How can I say no?

I'm an opener too, always will and always have been. With today's articulation, it's too tempting not too pose the figure with a "storyline" in our own head. When i see the artwork on the old cardback, every pics of figure prototype on the web, i always envisioned those figures opened.

I appreciate my collection just fine being carded or boxed, I don't have to touch or pose my collections to appreciate them, I look at them more as works of art, and something visual to look at any time I wish more than I do as loose figures on a shelf. Thing is just because one enjoys them loose and can't while carded, there are others that get more enjoyment from looking at a MOC collection with uniform packaging, and artwork and whatever other things may be on a package, than displaying loose figures on a shelf, and possibly loosing parts (which I did too much as a kid), I know I do. Point is a MOC collector can enjoy their collection their own way just as much without opening them, as a loose collector can by opening theirs. Just because one is preferred over the other doesn't mean that the other collector can't equally enjoy their way, just because the other collects their way, and don't like the others method. I don't care how anyone collects but me, I just don't like how loose collectors sometimes make it seem carded collectors can't possibly enjoy their collection as much because they are sealed....there is more than one way to enjoy a collection, and everyone has their own preference, that is no better than the others.

I have 5 loose, 2 from sets (ML Skeletor & TRU Stratos), 3 customs ( my original non 2pk BA Faker, Filmation MAA & the regular MAA buck with custom parts for a new character), and 1 opened but still MOC. And I can enjoy those as much as I enjoy my MOSC ones, but I still prefer carded to loose, because I love seeing the whole package, packaging & figure together. I honestly tried opening a few Transformers and setting them up on display, and did not like the look of them all standing together, and did so with my loose MOTUC, I just don't like seeing all the figures standing side by side on shelves, I'd much rather see them in the packages, but that is just me.

But as for those who enjoy them loose, good for you, enjoy & collect them as you see fit. I hope the line goes for a while yet, and gives us all much more to look forward to, carded or loose. And I am glad that there is an open choice for all collectors to collect as they want to.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 23, 2012 at 02:17am.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Just glad you realized you had to open them. Stupid to keep them sealed, unless you plan to sell them, and then you are not a fan, but a prospector.

Welcome to the real fandom.

Congrats on having an awesome loose MOTUC collection for display. They do look amazing.

I have a loose set and a MOC set. I like how both display. I have no intention of selling my MOC collection and I'm a real fan who isn't stupid.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I can completely relate to your story. Room has always been an issue, especially as a student so I always have to open up my figures. I did keep a whole lot of them carded (MOTUCs, Figmas, Revoltechs, Toy Biz X-Men, etc), but eventually had to tear down each package once I was forced to move out of my previous apartment.

I don't regret any of it though. I've always had loose figs, just some that were always in their packaging. Now they all mingle together... in a multi-universe battle royale kinda way

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I started out much the same way, however, I NEVER even had toys as a kid...BUT I did start collecting as an adult about 3 years ago. When I started I kept everything MOC. However, others kept talking about how great it was to open figures, so I bought an extra figure one time just to open it....and it was heavenly. I have been an opener ever since.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; February 23, 2012 at 10:26am.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

master of hiphop
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Congrats on having an awesome loose MOTUC collection for display. They do look amazing.

I have a loose set and a MOC set. I like how both display. I have no intention of selling my MOC collection and I'm a real fan who isn't stupid.
    agreed 100%

i only collect MOC as well.. and i have over 400 sq feet for MOTU MOC Goodness in display cases.. for me it has nothing to do with selling them but to appreciate these amazing works of art from the 80's to now. If i have to be a real fan by playing and posing toys then i guess i'm stupid
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    See now this post has just thrown me completely. I'm new to the line and am due to get my first 5 on Wednesday. I was going to keep them all in the packaging but after reading this (and all the replies) I don't know what to do :-O

Even if you are a loose collector, try keep the packaging, I learned that the easy way, I was selling a He-Man and I got 2 guys asking if I still had the box and the card (one talked to me like I didn't know what a blister is, ha ha ha, so funny).

I did have both, and they were opened carefully so the card isn't ripped, I actually did it for myself, I had no intention of ever selling any of my figs, but it came with a benefit.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I've never had a MOC collection before MOTUC came along and I'd always wanted one, I thought this was the line to do it. I was getting all the figures off the secondary market as I arrived late in to this line. (about a year ago) As the line continued and as I was reading and watching all the reviews on this forum and on Pixel Dan's youtube, I decided that any figure I liked a lot, I would buy a second of to display loose.

Well that was all going well until this past Tuesday when, yes, Demo-Man finally arrived. Under my usual self-imposed rule, I would get another off ebay as I liked the figure a lot, but something pinged inside my head. I just had to bust him out, and I did. I popped the Alcala head on Skeletor and matched Demo up with Vikor. Within hours I had released about 8 more figures from their plastic prisons. It was odd at first but I actually felt really good about doing it

So from now on I will continue to collect this line in loose form, I'll be holding on to the other figures I still have MOC and displaying them as such. I may one day part with them if I need cash for a serious investment such as a house or car of my own.
    Take each day as it comes, but never take it for granted.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Armoured View Post
    I've never had a MOC collection before MOTUC came along and I'd always wanted one, I thought this was the line to do it.

Within hours I had released about 8 more figures from their plastic prisons. It was odd at first but I actually felt really good about doing it

So from now on I will continue to collect this line in loose form.
    This is me EXACTLY! I never opened a figure until a few months ago and now I have a hard time NOT opening them
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

People should do what makes them happy. I'm a MOC collector. Not because I want to be able to get more $ for them down the road. I have no intention of ever selling them. I just like to display them in their pristine state.
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post

Just like me. I'm collecting both MOC and loose because MotUC is really great!!! But I don't buy everything, not the complete line - just the characters I like.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    People should do what makes them happy. I'm a MOC collector. Not because I want to be able to get more $ for them down the road. I have no intention of ever selling them. I just like to display them in their pristine state.
    I couldn't agree more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Just glad you realized you had to open them. Stupid to keep them sealed, unless you plan to sell them, and then you are not a fan, but a prospector.

Welcome to the real fandom.
    This is what I am talking about, I enjoy my collection just fine without feeling the need to open mine, I don't like mine loose, and no one who keeps them sealed sees it as stupid, so what makes loose collecting for a loose collector, so much better than MOC collecting for a MOC collector? Nothing does, it is the preference of the one doing the buying, not a bunch of this side vs that side crap. And sorry I have been a vintage fan since I was 6 in '82, and don't need no ne telling me because I choose to enjoy seeing mine carded that I'm not as big a fan as someone else is. I don't like them displayed loose, as I have stated before, so I don't pose mine and have to mess with all the pieces I am not a fan?

I don't plan on ever selling mine at all, but I do make my choice to collect as I see fit, so I guess all MOC collectors are going to sell them off someday? ....not very likely. I for one do not have such plans.

Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    This is my thoughts. Plus I really like how they look better in packages than all standing on shelves, I tried it with Transformers, and I have 5 loose MOTUC that are customs, singles from sets or extras, and to be honest I don't like looking at them displayed loose. That is my preference, so I should feel less a fan because I don't play with mine, or watch them gather dust just standing there? ....I don't think so.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the feedback. I understand MOC vs open. I am not saying one is better than the other. Just for me, MOTUC is way too cool to leave MOC. I'd have 2 sets if I could afford it, but I can't, so I gotta open 'em.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    I feel the same way about collecting. There are some thing that just shouldn't be opened and others that you can't help but tear them open!

I love that new toy smell, even w/ figures that are decades old still in the package. i recently acquired a complete set of G force (battle of the planets for you old schoolers) and i just had to release them from their plastic prisons to be proudly displayed on my shelf for all to enjoy (if they can recall watching the cartoons as a kid? lol)

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post
    I feel the same way about collecting. There are some thing that just shouldn't be opened and others that you can't help but tear them open!

I love that new toy smell, even w/ figures that are decades old still in the package. i recently acquired a complete set of G force (battle of the planets for you old schoolers) and i just had to release them from their plastic prisons to be proudly displayed on my shelf for all to enjoy (if they can recall watching the cartoons as a kid? lol)

=)
    I most certainly do remember.... Those were the days!!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eternia Burning View Post
    I am not saying one is better than the other. Just for me, MOTUC is way too cool to leave MOC. I'd have 2 sets if I could afford it, but I can't, so I gotta open 'em.
    I personally for one wasn't saying you were, just so you know. And nothing wrong with doing so, I would never say it's stupid to open your collections, unlike some seem to do the other way around, do what you like, I am glad you found your way to enjoy your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post

=)
    I did have Transformers MOSC for the longest time, but once I decided to thin my collection (because I realized I had too many I really didn't like or want, God only knows why I bought them in the first place) I got on an opening spree, but now they are boxed up to make room for my MOTUC collection. I also got tired of all of them being from different series and lines (but all mostly Classics) and being packaged forward then one backwards, one in robot mode.....I didn't like the packaging inconsistencies anymore, so I started opening them. But that is when I too realized I don't like them displayed loose standing together, but the packaging differences bugged me more, but in the end they all got boxed, and I take them out all the time to mess with them or just to leave one or two sit in alt modes for a while. And MOTUC has been the same exact packaging since the beginning, for 3 years plus now, and that is what makes keeping my MOC collection intact so appealing to me, even some of the sets or other figures reuse the same boxes year to year. Battle Cat / Panthor, Tytus / Megator, Star Sister / Swiftwind....etc, makes it much more aesthetically appealing, than every year changing the package.

So one though would say that even though I was thinning another collection, my biggest collection mind you for MOTUC, I am not as big a fan as someone else because I choose to leave the MOTUC carded. Yeah my sold Transformers would beg to differ, some I have had for 25+ (most were sold for parts, but still same point).

I do also plan on getting the new TMNT Classics, and keeping them MOSC as well, well at least the 4 original Turtles that is, I still have all 4 storage shell versions from the vintage line. I just don't see the MISP collectors that just buy then stack everything in a closet tightly and never look at any of them ever again, at least I look at mine, everyday, many times a day, carded or not.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; February 23, 2012 at 01:52pm.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Congrats on opening them! I find that these (well most toys) are far better out of the package than in. There are some exceptions, but MOTUC isn't it. They are so much better loose! Plus it's a huge space saver. Plus you can save the card backs and stack them up and they really don't take up much room at all.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I'm an opener, too! I'd love to have a MOC collection, but I can't afford it, space-wise, AND my other collections. Plus, I do like the way they look, and I like to grab 'em once in a while and either photo them or just pose 'em. It's kinda like tactile inspiration. However, I fault no one who keeps 'em MOC, and I love seeing MOC collections. In fact, I love the MOTUC packaging, but like I said, I had to make a choice, and open was it. Now, I just need to figure out a good storage solution for when I have to move or put 'em away for a bit when my new kid comes along. But, that's a different post.