Thread: Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future!

Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future!

Anyone else remember this? It was a surprisingly good TV show (JMS of Babylon 5 fame and Larry DiTello wrote the series), that featured Mattels foray into interactive TV, with the toy line's main vehicles interacting with the TV screen, getting hit and scoring points. Unfortunately, the show only lasted one season, and ended on a cliffhanger that also killed off the only main female castmember.

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure why, but I was hit by the urge to look up the toys on eBay. I had many of the figures back in the 80's, but none of the vehicles. I found an auction for the Phantom Striker (Bad guy jet) and all 3 of the VHS battle tapes, so I bid and won. (I was the only bidder, at about 8 Bucks. )

I've got to admit, it's kind of fun to play with. The third tape (and the hardest difficulty rating) is pretty tough.

I'm just wondering if anyone else remembers this series fondly, and if anyone can answer a question I've got: On the underside of the Striker there's a hole like for an AC Adaptor. There's no mention of it anywhere, neither booklet, box, online, nothing. Anyone have any clue what it's for?

Yeah it was a good show, the two issues released of the comic were really good as well. I have two figures Captain Power and Tank.
    WATCHA GONNA DO WHEN HULKAMANIA RUNS WILD OVER YOU

GREAT show....I posted on this a while back....there was a blurb in Toyfare about it being released on DVD....I looked all over the net for info about it and came up with nada....Another case of Toyfare spouting false information without checking facts first it seems....I really hope it comes out soon though! Truly a show taht was way ahead of it's time.

-Johnny C

One of my longest-running childhood obsessions, AMAZING show.

Didja know it's quasi-officially in continuity with Babylon-5? Several key-creative folk were on both, and there's a bunch of little references that link up between them.

And while there are no official DVDs, if you go HERE you can purchase some fan-produced ones. Also, for the record, these have recieved wink-and-nod sanctions from some of the key rights-holders.

I can vouch for them, I purchased their [I]previous[I] set which were only DIVX format, and they were WONDERFUL quality. These have been suuped-up even more to allow them to still work with the toys, and include bonus features, and also the training videos etc etc.

GREAT stuff, the CP mailing list is a pretty good group too.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Damn, I loved that show. Cool Sci-Fi. Something like that wont be produced again.
    Please check out my customs!
    And while youre at it..you might leave a comment or two
    http://dragonscustomfigures.blogspot.com/

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I was so sad that I could never find Scout Baker nor Pilot Chase action figures in the stores.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Oh man, Captain Power and Dino Riders I used to freakin' LOVE back in the day, but I was never able to get any of the toys because they were too expensive.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    I hate the toys but, as a post-nuclear fiction fan, I like the tv shows but the cheap CGI ruined it!
    This wonderful Triumph video was shot in the Captain Power sets!
    Last edited by JoeyCruel; July 5, 2012 at 07:22pm.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

But at the time the CGI was amazing!

I LOVED Captain Power!!! I would REALLY like to see that some come back with anther season with look alike characters.... TANK might still be able to be played by the same actor tho... lol

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    But at the time the CGI was amazing!
    I have to say that the CGI in Captain Power was ahead in those times but it was still too imperfect to be used in a TV show. I think that an animated series would been better and more cheaper, I saw some animated footage from the VHS given with the toys and it was amazing!
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    I have to say that the CGI in Captain Power was ahead in those times but it was still too imperfect to be used in a TV show. I think that an animated series would been better and more cheaper, I saw some animated footage from the VHS given with the toys and it was amazing!
    I would LOVE it if they continued the Captain Power series with animation just like this!!! They could even use the original voice actors this way too!