Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvel NOW! Not exactly DC 52...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    So quick question how did they make nick fury a white guy to a black guy in the comics. I don't understand why they need to do this. Zodac fury, they did with the punisher in the 90's. Why not just make a new character that is a different race then white. I really don't like that they do it. I see in movies but I'm still against it.
    The Ultimate universe could get away with changing races, since it was an alternate universe. They made the Wasp an Asian woman and a mutant.

Ultimate Universe Nick Fury is based off Samuel L. Jackson with his permission for the Ultimates (the Ultimate version of the Avengers). Naturally, the movies would hire Sam Jackson and use that particular character instead of the standard 616 version. Now the general public sees Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson, thanks to all of those Marvel movies and TV Shows (Avengers: EMH and Ultimate Spider-Man)

Eventually, the 616 comics has to match the public's idea of what Nick Fury looks like, as BCI Guy explains.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    In 2012, the six part series Battle Scars introduces Nick Fury's secret son, Sgt. Marcus Johnson who is an African American and ends up losing one eye in the series.
    so losing your eye due to an accident is an inherited trait passed from father to son in the Fury bloodline?

The DC Comics universe is a mess right now.

Let's hope for the Marvel one.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    The DC Comics universe is a mess right now.

Let's hope for the Marvel one.
    I think that the two companies should have swapped tactics. I think Marvel should have rebooted it's entire universe and washed away Loeb, Bendis and Millar, while DC should have simply refreshed some of the lackluster or underperforming parts of it's universe.

Except for X-Factor, I might be out of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    so losing your eye due to an accident is an inherited trait passed from father to son in the Fury bloodline?
    No just that but they have the technology to make exact, likelike decoys but don't seem to be able to replace a lost eye

I have sent a PM to Val but he hasn't answered yet but the cover of Deadpool #1 has Staples with the names of the creative team. Is he the colourist for this title?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I have sent a PM to Val but he hasn't answered yet but the cover of Deadpool #1 has Staples with the names of the creative team. Is he the colourist for this title?
    Looks like it.

@ValStaples
    I'm putting MUCH love into Deadpool pages. BUY THIS BOOK, FOLKS!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

Yup. That is him.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Looks like it.

@ValStaples
    I'm putting MUCH love into Deadpool pages. BUY THIS BOOK, FOLKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Yup. That is him.
    Thanks guys. That is not a bad gig.

well first they replace Ultimate Peter Parker with that stupid Miles Morales character and now it looks like 616 Peter is being replaced as well, with the writer dropping subtle hints that it may not be Peter Parker under the mask

"“Peter Parker has spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ends dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700,” Marvel said. “NOW! the new Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger…Superior.”"

Now if this is true and they have yet again replaced Peter Parker with another guy (like they did in Ultimate universe) then all I can say is that I hope it bombs spectacularly and that the whole stupid company (Marvel) goes out of business

With the other statements I took it less like they are replacing Peter Parker with another character and more replacing Peter Parker with another Peter Parker that all these young hip kids can get into.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Ultimate universe could get away with changing races, since it was an alternate universe. They made the Wasp an Asian woman and a mutant.

Ultimate Universe Nick Fury is based off Samuel L. Jackson with his permission for the Ultimates (the Ultimate version of the Avengers). Naturally, the movies would hire Sam Jackson and use that particular character instead of the standard 616 version. Now the general public sees Nick Fury as Samuel L. Jackson, thanks to all of those Marvel movies and TV Shows (Avengers: EMH and Ultimate Spider-Man)

Eventually, the 616 comics has to match the public's idea of what Nick Fury looks like, as BCI Guy explains.
    Wasp being asian in the Ultimate Universe...lasted for what, 5 minutes?

Good explaniation on the Nick Fury thing.

Nick Fury's secret son, Sgt. Marcus Johnson who is an African American and ends up losing one eye in the series... Nick Fury retires at the end of the series, and his son joins S.H.I.E.L.D. Johnson changes his name to his original birth name of Nick Fury Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel Alonso View Post
    Marvel NOW! hearkens back to 11 years ago, when Marvel found great success employing a simple formula: great artist plus great writer plus great character plus great story.
    Yes, great writing... Umm, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by King Gilskull View Post
    Wasp being asian in the Ultimate Universe...lasted for what, 5 minutes?

Good explaniation on the Nick Fury thing.
    Ultimate Janet Van Dyne was Asian all the way through. But she is is dead now. The Ultimate Blob was eating her corpse during Ultimatum.

well first they replace Ultimate Peter Parker with that stupid Miles Morales character and now it looks like 616 Peter is being replaced as well, with the writer dropping subtle hints that it may not be Peter Parker under the mask

"“Peter Parker has spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ends dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700,” Marvel said. “NOW! the new Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger…Superior.”"

Now if this is true and they have yet again replaced Peter Parker with another guy (like they did in Ultimate universe) then all I can say is that I hope it bombs spectacularly and that the whole stupid company (Marvel) goes out of business
    Unless it ends up being some plot device to reboot Spider-Man to his world before Brand New Day, count me out. I'm still boycotting Spidey until they fix that mess.

Ultimate Janet Van Dyne was Asian all the way through. But she is is dead now. The Ultimate Blob was eating her corpse during Ultimatum.
    I thought some pencilers stopped drawing her that way about half way through, but since I only seen parts of The Ultimates' run, I'm probably the one mistaken. I remember that end too and thought it was lame.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Unless it ends up being some plot device to reboot Spider-Man to his world before Brand New Day, count me out. I'm still boycotting Spidey until they fix that mess.
    ya, but why stop there? until they stop writing god awful crap that utterly spoils the characters we grew up with I think we should boycott marvel entirely

Yes another example of that fabulous Marvel writing by Loeb.

In a perfect world Loeb, Millar, Bendis, and Quesada would all be kidnapped by aliens so that Disney could fix all of the damage they've done over the last...what...12..13 years?

Then I could celebrate and actually start buying Marvel books again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Yes another example of that fabulous Marvel writing by Loeb.

In a perfect world Loeb, Millar, Bendis, and Quesada would all be kidnapped by aliens so that Disney could fix all of the damage they've done over the last...what...12..13 years?

Then I could celebrate and actually start buying Marvel books again.

Don't forget JMS. His work on Spider-Man such as Morlun, the idea of Totems, Peter being chosen to be Spider-Man by a spider god and other god awful crap utterly ruined Spider-Man for me

As a big fan of Bendis' independent work, I've thought other than Alias and his early Daredevil he has been pretty horrible.

BUT, I think Ultimate Spider-Man was a terrific book until the Universe got too continuity heavy, and the Miles Morales Spider-Man is actually pretty great.

As a big fan of Bendis' independent work, I've thought other than Alias and his early Daredevil he has been pretty horrible.

BUT, I think Ultimate Spider-Man was a terrific book until the Universe got too continuity heavy, and the Miles Morales Spider-Man is actually pretty great.
    Yeah I was wondering, I've heard good things about Miles story, not blaming anyone on the boards but people get so angry when they have a black character take on a character who was white before. but in this case sure it's spider-man but it's not like they made Peter Parker black. anyway I wanted to catch up on this run because I've heard good things.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Yeah I was wondering, I've heard good things about Miles story, not blaming anyone on the boards but people get so angry when they have a black character take on a character who was white before. but in this case sure it's spider-man but it's not like they made Peter Parker black. anyway I wanted to catch up on this run because I've heard good things.
    You should check it out. You really don't need any background as I'm pretty sure the series covers everything you need to know. You'll also want to check out the recently concluded 5 issue "Spider-Men" series as well. Its really good.

I have heard good things, my problem was (minor) they made his replacement a half-black half-mexican homosexual. The last could have just been rumour though, it just seemed like they were blatantly stacking stuff up for the sake of trying to be relevant. That is/was a minor issue.

My real problem was between ultimatum and the death of Peter Parker the story telling seemed to be just phoned in, with little to absolutely nothing happening in issue after issue. I often had to check the previous issue just to make sure I hadn't gotten a double because of that. I got the feeling when I started hearing reviews for the Miles story that Marvel did this on purpose so they could say Peter's story was done and they were moving onto another character. Which I have no problem with that, except it seemed like they were forcing the issue instead of just letting it happen. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if the Miles story could have been more or less told with Peter Parker.

Of course the other problem I haven't bought a modern Marvel comic since I dropped Ultimate Spider-man. I do pick up some of the older trades, especially when I can get a good deal on them
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

You should check it out. You really don't need any background as I'm pretty sure the series covers everything you need to know. You'll also want to check out the recently concluded 5 issue "Spider-Men" series as well. Its really good.
    yeah in a few weeks I'm planning on catching up on some stories I've been curious about. I will get into that thanks man!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I have heard good things, my problem was (minor) they made his replacement a half-black half-mexican homosexual. The last could have just been rumour though, it just seemed like they were blatantly stacking stuff up for the sake of trying to be relevant. That is/was a minor issue.

My real problem was between ultimatum and the death of Peter Parker the story telling seemed to be just phoned in, with little to absolutely nothing happening in issue after issue. I often had to check the previous issue just to make sure I hadn't gotten a double because of that. I got the feeling when I started hearing reviews for the Miles story that Marvel did this on purpose so they could say Peter's story was done and they were moving onto another character. Which I have no problem with that, except it seemed like they were forcing the issue instead of just letting it happen. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if the Miles story could have been more or less told with Peter Parker.

Of course the other problem I haven't bought a modern Marvel comic since I dropped Ultimate Spider-man. I do pick up some of the older trades, especially when I can get a good deal on them
    couldn't they have put him ina wheelchair too!?!? I will see what I think though, I've heard good things so I'm interested for sure.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I think Marvel confirmed that Miles Morales is not gay, but even if he is or is not I refuse to read any of his comics simply because he is NOT Peter and therefor will NEVER be Spider-Man to me

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The big problem with Ultimate Spider-Man is that after 160 issues, it had developed so much continuity and reliance on itself, it was no longer the "friendly to new readers" book it started out as. And it was becoming more and more just retelling classic Spider-Man stories with a twist.

I commend them for going in a new direction.

- - - Updated - - -

I refuse to read any of his comics simply because he is NOT Peter and therefor will NEVER be Spider-Man to me
    He's not supposed to be Peter or that version of Spider-Man - and he's not supposed to replace him in your head or your heart. He's a new character that was inspired (literally and figuratively) by a GREAT hero. He's more of a "legacy throwback" - like Alan Scott > Hal Jordan or Jay Garrick > Barry Allen.