Thread: MOTU CASTLE GRAYSKULL playhouse

MOTU CASTLE GRAYSKULL playhouse

I have this boxed and complete (with instructions) Castle Grayskull Playhouse, in excellent condition. I may have put it up for sale by now, but have been preoccupied. Still considering doing so soon. But I'm looking for more information as well.

This is the UK version by D. Dekker Ltd, licensed by Mattel in 1984. It has an octagon base shape. I think the US version was more square/rectangle shaped, with a higher front than back? Came in a plastic bag with an insert? Were there anymore variants? Does anyone know how many were made, or what sort of price they would sell for now? I tried to find out about them through Google, but only found one that was for sale through here on eBay in 2009 (it had a box in very bad condition), and one other in 2012 but pictures aren't online anymore.
    Last edited by K-j; October 29, 2014 at 08:56am.
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...

I'm assuming the He-Man & Skeletor costumes were sold separately. Pretty cool piece.

Heroic Warrior
    I bought this a few years ago for around $100 after realizing it was different than the one I had as a kid I sold it . And pretty much broke even . As a kid we put ours in a tree to have the grayskull treehouse . ,mine has a closed roof that angles down toward the back . The one you have has an open top and sets up like an octogan while the other version I have is square . I currently use it to cover my classics grayskull . It's cool to open the door and see another grayskull inside . The one that I sold like yours was also in the box and did not include the weapons for he man and skeletor .hope this helps and good luck. I tried to add pics but it says it exceeds my quota ?
    Last edited by ninjor 9; October 29, 2014 at 08:54pm.

When I was a kid I had a He-Man bed tent which was quite rare.

http://www.he-man.org/merchandising/item.php?id=3760

Cool bed tent (hide n sleep).

We used to have the inflatable swords and shields, maybe even the 'costumes' as depicted on the box art as well, but I also believe these were sold separately, unless anyone has definite proof otherwise. I can't see them all fitting in the same box, and don't think there's any other mention of them to be found on the box or the instructions, apart from the artwork. I think they were also sold in a plastic bag style packaging, sealed with staples through a cardboard banner along the top? Oh, the memories are flooding back... Those were the days.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the one you found with the rough box was the one I sold . Although these don't come up at auction too often I wouldn't expect to get much more than $150 to $200 . Unless you find 2 or more bidders with a nostalgic connection to it . It's definitely one of those items that's hard to fit into a display taking up so much room . And as a vintage collectible boxed up you always fear storage issues like the vinyl drying /cracking and no good way to fold it without the graphics touching which will probably lead to the inks melting together . That's why I sold the one I had the only way to make sure this thing survives is to set it up and keep it setup together . It would be great for someone who has a huge space for display ... Would even be great hanging up if your collection space had 20 foot high ceilings . I don't really think it was specifically a uk version , good luck

^Thanks for the reply, interesting to hear from someone else who had one.

I haven't really studied mine, but I don't think there's any such thing wrong with it as inks melting together. I guess it depends on how or where it's stored. But mine has been in the loft for decades, folded in it's box, and would have been subjected to both really hot and cold temperatures throughout the seasons, but didn't even consider ink melting as a possibility, seems fine. Though obviously I wouldn't recommend setting it up in front of your fireplace. Apart from that I don't think it's something to worry about.

I just assumed as there were different shapes that perhaps it was due to regional variants. Also, the octagon one was made by D. Dekker in England (though the PVC cover was made in Taiwan), whilst I've read the more rectangle version was made and/or released by HG Industries in the US.