Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: A strictly Pre-Filmation checklist?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    875

    A strictly Pre-Filmation checklist?

    I'd like to get a good idea of exactly what all was out there before the Filmation cartoon debuted. The original 8-back characters, obviously but which other ones were released prior to the show? Which vehicles, beasts, etc.

    There's also the DC comics and crossovers. What else was there out there at the time, merchandise-wise?
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

  2. #2
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    14,953
    It's a bit of a trick question because Filmation's influence can be felt as early as thous DC mini comics.

    1982 Toys:
    He-Man
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Stratos
    Skeletor
    Mer-Man
    Beastman
    Zodac

    Battle Cat
    Windraider
    Battle Ram
    Castle Grayskull.

    Mini Comics
    He-Man and the Powersword
    King Of castle Grayskull
    Battle in the Clouds
    Vengeance of Skeletor

    Filmation came along and made an animated commercial for those toys. From that point they re-imagined MOTU, and their influence could be seen almost a whole year before the cartoon would air. Tthat in-betwee era is seen in all of the stories between 1983-1984, which depending on your geographic location is when the cartoon debuted. That's why the term "Pre-Filmation" really should to be retried IMO. The more we have learned, the less sense it makes. They became co-creators and Co-owners of MOTU in regards to certain characters like Orko and POP (even more so with POP) until Filmation shut it's door in 1988 around the same time Mattel stopped making MOTU toys altogether. They even played a hand in the creation of The Man known as Grayskull and presumably coined the phrase "He-Ro" and aprently did some preliminary work on NA My point being, after that original 1982 stuff, we don't know exactly who created what when except for all the various creators interviews and art that have been found over the years. There are a few books that clarify that if you care to learn more but It's like trying to separate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich it can get messy.

    Do you JUST want a list of stories in whcih He-man is a little more Conan and a little less Captain Marvel?

    I can do that. I like doing that. Sometimes He-Man is a womanizing Prince Adam in a Blue vest, other times he isn't mentioned at all...Sometimes he lives in the Jungle, a hut or in Castle Grayskull. Sometimes Teela lives in Castle Grayskull. Sometimes she is a Goddess, other times she is a Sorceress. She was mystcially cloned once. Point Dread and Man-E-Faces have some confusing backstories. ZOdaC is a little more Zoak then Zodac and sometimes he is straight full goatee evil! That era is all kinds of WTF is going on. I call that The Savage Eternia. I think the massive reality alternating DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths may have caused some strange continuity to occur. One thing is for certain, that He-man will straight up kill a mother ****er! That is what THAT He-Man will do!

    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; June 6, 2014 at 10:38pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Do you JUST want a list of stories in whcih He-man is a little more Conan and a little less Captain Marvel?
    Not so much the stories but just looking for a good rundown of any merch and media that came out prior to the Filmation influence.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

  4. #4
    Scrolls Reviewer Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    12,751
    For merch and media, there are some Coloring/Activity Books that feature for example Blonde Teela running around.

    And I've seen people list the wave 2 mini-comics by DC as part of "Pre-Filmation".
    They are different from the wave 1 that LORD FALLEN ELDOR counted, so it's not like a "coherent canon before Filmation came and changed it".

    Kids Stuff books:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=126

    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=586

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    For merch and media, there are some Coloring/Activity Books that feature for example Blonde Teela running around.

    And I've seen people list the wave 2 mini-comics by DC as part of "Pre-Filmation".
    They are different from the wave 1 that LORD FALLEN ELDOR counted, so it's not like a "coherent canon before Filmation came and changed it".

    Kids Stuff books:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=126

    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=586
    This is why I've always identified three canons in this time frame
    • "Primitive/Archaic"--the first four storybook/comics, the board game, and any other really old stuff. In other words, the pure 8-back era.
    • Transitional--Stuff that appears to be based on the Halperin Bible but not Filmation per se, or that otherwise falls into that sort of limbo--the Wave 2 mini-comics, the first three Kid Stuff and four Golden books, the DC comics, the first record.
    • Filmation--If Orko's in it and/or Prince Adam's wearing pink, it probably falls into this category. (The 3rd wave mini-comics don't have these elements, but almost all of them are based off Filmation scripts, so they qualify regardless. )


    Then we have the 'post-Filmation' era of 1986-87, the Movie, the New Adventures, 200X cartoon, 200X MVC comics, Classics, DC 2012+ .... and that's without getting into the extremely convoluted mess that is Princess of Power.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Monteeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    920
    Was Prince Adam a Filmation or a Mattel creation ?
    I think he is an early Filmation influence, before cartoon aired in 1983...

    In Filmation case, do you think Blackstar didn't have a second season (1982) in favor of the MOTU animated commercial and then, 65 episodes ?

  7. #7
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew L. Martin View Post
    This is why I've always identified three canons in this time frame
    • "Primitive/Archaic"--the first four storybook/comics, the board game, and any other really old stuff. In other words, the pure 8-back era.
    • Transitional--Stuff that appears to be based on the Halperin Bible but not Filmation per se, or that otherwise falls into that sort of limbo--the Wave 2 mini-comics, the first three Kid Stuff and four Golden books, the DC comics, the first record.
    • Filmation--If Orko's in it and/or Prince Adam's wearing pink, it probably falls into this category. (The 3rd wave mini-comics don't have these elements, but almost all of them are based off Filmation scripts, so they qualify regardless. )


    Then we have the 'post-Filmation' era of 1986-87, the Movie, the New Adventures, 200X cartoon, 200X MVC comics, Classics, DC 2012+ .... and that's without getting into the extremely convoluted mess that is Princess of Power.
    I would include the "post-Filmation" era of the "Eternia towers era" since all the mini-comics after the Eternia towers came out were based around that playset.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •