Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Production variants

Production variants

I've started comparison of figure variants which are made in the same factory/country. They are less known than international variants, but differences are very obvious.

Last edited by Mantisaur82; June 30, 2014 at 04:36pm.

I used to have that hard-headed Moss Man when I was a kid.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

These are great comparison photos, did you create these in photoshop?
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Saw Hordak View Post
    These are great comparison photos, did you create these in photoshop?
    Thanks! Yeah, I used photoshop to insert those closeups, but I took photos of the figures side by side on the white paper, so that small differences in colors can be observed (which would be impossible to compare if I took photo of each figure separately).

Great work, this is excellent.
    Plus the BA Skele marked USA is a new one to me, I know about He Man marked USA but not this one,thats another variant I have to find

Quote Originally Posted by PetezorII View Post
    Great work, this is excellent.
    Plus the BA Skele marked USA is a new one to me, I know about He Man marked USA but not this one,thats another variant I have to find
    Yes, There are two variants of USA/MEXICO He-Man, the first release is marked 1981 and the second is 1982.
    I have the one 1982 and he is more common than 1981 variant (unlike He-man Taiwan, which is vice versa). The figure is marked MEXICO 1982 and all of the acessories are marked USA.
    The 1982 USA/MEXICO variant has pale face (the same as in the first release of Battle Armor He-Man USA/MEXICO), but MEXICO 1981 has the normal color of the face, and he is the better looking variant.

- - - Updated - - -

..and some comparisons of He-Man, soft head, standard (common) variants...

Widget
    Thank you for posting this. Im new to collecting he-man figures. Im learning as much as I can and stuff like this helps!!

Looks like I have a first release he-man In mint shap but it has the incorrect armor. Looks like I will be on the hunt for that now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jonobrien78 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. Im new to collecting he-man figures. Im learning as much as I can and stuff like this helps!!

Looks like I have a first release he-man In mint shap but it has the incorrect armor. Looks like I will be on the hunt for that now. lol
    Hey Jonobrien78,
    Not all He-Man Taiwan 1981 has those short straps on the harness...it is only from the first release variant (it was on the US 8back cards), which you can recognize by the most reddish boots of all of He-Man Taiwan and by most intense yellow, almost light orange hair color. He also must have that "belly button" on the sculpt. If all of these are present, then it is that first release He-man variant.
    But the most common He-Man figures are those Taiwan 1981, which are between those first release and the 1982 variant. They have those longer straps on the harness and very different colors of boots, belt (from yellowish orange to red) and hair....
    As far as I know they don't have the "belly button", it is only present on the early figures which were on the US 8 back cards. The belly button is also present on all Savage He-Man.

Nice work Mantisaur, keep the pics coming, we need an archive of all variations

Quote Originally Posted by PetezorIII View Post
    Nice work Mantisaur, keep the pics coming, we need an archive of all variations
    Thanks Petezor!
    But why would you need it, you have the "archive" of all variants at your home! At least you could help me by making some photos. :

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Thanks Petezor!
    But why would you need it, you have the "archive" of all variants at your home! At least you could help me by making some photos. :
    I am afraid not even I have every variant! but I'm working on it
    If you require pics of anything in particular, I am happy to help

Widget
    Thank you for the info! I took a pic of mine. What do you guys think? Is it the early one that I was thinking?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jonobrien78 View Post
    Thank you for the info! I took a pic of mine. What do you guys think? Is it the early one that I was thinking?
    He seems to be one of those standard 1981 (those between the early edition 1981 and the variant marked 1982) figures but from the mold with belly button. I haven't took photos of those common 1981 Taiwan He-Man figures yet.

Widget
    Ok. Thank you very much for getting back to me. I will write that down for later reference
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Hi Mantisaur, Do you know of any other figs marked USA?
    You have great variant knowledge You need to document it all!!

Thanks!
    I don't know any other figure except Battle Armor Skeletor that has "U.S.A." marked on the figure itself (as well as the other BA Skeletor and those two BA He-Man variants which has "U.S. pat. pend. Mexico"). But most of Mexico figures have USA mark on the accessories.

I am not sure what exactly is written on the first Mexican He-Man variant (Mexico 1981). I have only the second one (Mexico 1982, variant with pale face).

Totally agree. Count me in if you ever want to publish something!

Widget
    Hi all i'm new so excuse me if i choosed the wrong tread, will be great if someone can take a look to my mantisaur http://i57.tinypic.com/6teooy.jpg it have a wrong Scythe, the serial number is the same all the parts are original. Can happend something like that? Thx

Time to add some new pictures:

Last edited by Mantisaur82; June 30, 2014 at 06:52pm.

These comparison pics are awesome, great work.

MEXICO and HONG KONG/CHINA, two most common variants of Dragon Blaster Skeletor

Last edited by Mantisaur82; July 24, 2014 at 09:21am.

Nice job Manty, thx.
    Have you already seen the made in Taiwan soft head version? I seen him one time only on the Bay some years ago (carded) and he looks like to be extremely hard to find (more than the Thunder Punch He-Man soft head made in Taiwan itself).

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Nice job Manty, thx.
    Have you already seen the made in Taiwan soft head version? I seen him one time only on the Bay some years ago (carded) and he looks like to be extremely hard to find (more than the Thunder Punch He-Man soft head made in Taiwan itself).
    I have soft head Taiwan TP He-man...and it is present on photos on the internet quite often. But I am aware only of Dragon Blaster prototype made from Skeletor Taiwan (with belt), never heard or saw Dragon Blaster Skeletor made in Taiwan. Do you have a picture of MOC one (In case that you saved that one from eBay)?

I think that I have not registered the picture at this time, I remember just that I shared the link to some friends in private but I have to check in my old files.
    I was not interested to bid on it because card was damaged a little I remember/ US card with NEW logo on it.
    But it was the first time and the last one that I seen a moc version and it was factory sealed all around I am sure of that.
    If I can find a picture somewehere I will let you know

Edit: the one I seen has no belt as the prototype shown in old catalogs: just a soft head.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; July 24, 2014 at 03:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I think that I have not registered the picture at this time, I remember just that I shared the link to some friends in private but I have to check in my old files.
    I was not interested to bid on it because card was damaged a little I remember/ US card with NEW logo on it.
    But it was the first time and the last one that I seen a moc version and it was factory sealed all around I am sure of that.
    If I can find a picture somewehere I will let you know

Edit: the one I seen has no belt as the prototype shown in old catalogs: just a soft head.

Please search everything and find the picture!!!

But as argument that the one you saw could be fake is that in Mattel's publications (catalogs and other promotional materials) almost always shows Taiwan figure (if that character was produced there) and for Dragon Blaster Skeletor we see only the prototype (with a belt) on few pictures and on the others it is mainly Hong Kong/China variant. If there was Taiwan produced toy, it would be probably used for most of the catalogs...

Prototype (with belt):

Hong Kong/China:

Last edited by Mantisaur82; July 24, 2014 at 04:00pm.