Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun-Man and the Rulers of the Sun

OATH OF THE SWORDS Premiere Heroes's Avatar
    I started a Sun-Man and Butterfly Woman, Twitter account, Facebook account and Myspace account if anyone wants to check them out.
    TIME OF THE TWINS
    TEST OF THE TWINS
    WAR OF THE TWINS

HE-RO

IN THE NAME OF GRAYSKULL
    GRANT ME THE POWER

HE-MAN

BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL
    I HAVE THE POWER

SHE-RA

FOR THE HONOR OF GRAYSKULL
    I AM SHE-RA

Quote Originally Posted by thorns02 View Post
    I got a Pig-Head in a lot of vintage MOTU a while back and am now addicted to this line! What have I gotten myself into. Here are a couple of MOC Sun Man figures. First release (with the hard to find Sun-Man sticker on the bottom of the bubble) and then a later 90's release (Flat Top Sun Man) with the NA themed card.

Anyone have the other 5 figures in the line complete/loose? (Pig-Head, Digitino, Bolt Man, Holographo, Space Sumo)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...Man/photo3.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...Man/photo4.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...0Man/photo.jpg
    http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...Man/photo7.jpg

Yes, I have Pig Head loose !

I heard there are two Pig Heads variants...do you have pictures of both ?

@ Monteeg-I recently found out there were two versions as well. However, I dont know the difference between the two. Is your Pig-Head complete?

@ Heros-Do you have any of the figures?

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Amandla means 'power' in Zulu and Xhosa languages (Xhosa is the language (though there are others) famous for the clicking sound in fact you pronounce Xhosa "~click~Clawsa" where the click is intwined with the Cl as we would pronounce SH or TH)
    In particular, Amandla was used as a rallying cry in anti-Apartheid years in South Africa (so it was quite symbolic that they chose it for one of the Olmec toys), and it's also a common forename over there.

By the way, even though this word doesn't feature funny-sounding clicks, it does feature another relatively rare sound: the dl is not pronounced [dl] as in Adler, but rather [ɮ], which is the voiced version (cf. voiceless [s] vs. voiced [z] in English "sip" and "zip") of that curious lateral-fricative [ɬ] sound "between an L and an SH" that the Welsh make in words spelled with a "ll" (such as llwyd [ˈɬʊɪ̯d] "grey", which is the source of the surname Lloyd). That is, Amandla actually sounds something like "AmanLZHa" [ˈmː.ⁿɮ̤] (you can hear it here at 0:14).
    Last edited by uaxuctum; August 26, 2012 at 01:46am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I recently bought a sealed first edition Sun-Man. The mini-comic was included! So, for your viewing pleasure, enjoy.....

The Rulers of the Sun mini-comic "Battle for the RAYS!" (inside, it also says "Sun-Man Meets Pig-Head")

*The artwork ranges from good to terrible. You can see a lot of the mistakes and corrections in this mini-comic. It looks like the pages were originally done in colored pencil, though the mini-comic itself is well made, it's a little glossier than the original MOTU mini-comics. Yla Eason created Sun-Man, and I believe her son (who was probably only a few years old at the time), Menelik, is credited on page 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    For your reading enjoyment...
    The character concepts and designs have potential but the stories are atrocious. I would love to see these properties completely re-imagined.

thorns2: It seems to me that the later Sun-Man figures on the NA-themed card are using the Kikto head mold.

BTW, here's an intersting tidbit of information: If you do a search for Olmec copyrights, the only characters that have entries from the Sun-Man/Rulers of the Sun line are Sun-Man, Pig Head and someone called Pow-Man. I'm assuming this was an early unused name for either Sun-Man or Pig Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The character concepts and designs have potential but the stories are atrocious.
    I agree the stories need some work.

Thorns2

I heard the Pig Head variation is in his chest spikes-armor. I think one is standard and the other, bulky.

My Pig Head is in graceful condition, with his chest armor (standard).
    Unfortunately, I do not have his weapons (shield and club) and I am looking for both

Want to bring this thread back to life in the hopes it can lead to more Sun Man/Butterfly Woman finds. I recenlty picked up a few figures from the lines and want to keep the search out for any more that may be out there.

Anyone come across any loose or MOC Sun Man or Butterfly Woman figures?

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Premiere Heroes View Post
    Scroll down to page 64 you will see Yla Eason, who created Sun-Man, and Leon Stephenson the live action Sun-Man model.
    And if you look to the right of Sunman, the VP of Olmec..shes staring straight at his junk!

Want to bring this thread back to life in the hopes it can lead to more Sun Man/Butterfly Woman finds.
    For just you??

I think alot of people would appreciate this thread as well...

Court Magician
    Funny thing is, Yla Eason (creator of Sunman and Olmec toys), had cheated many people with these toys of hers. The story goes..what started out as good intentions led to greed and last I heard she went into hiding. She had made some G.I.Joe knockoffs called "Bronze Bombers", she made some money..got in some circles and before you know it..she bought the old molds for the G.I.Joe figures. She made a deal with the chinese military or something to the extent where they had prisoners build these toys using these molds, in a prison factory facility. Not using any protective gear from the toxic plastic fumes. Then she had the parts shipped to a tax free area in Virginia where they would be assembled and packaged, then a premium would be charged for the figure which was essentially a repainted G.I.Joe at double the price marketed towards the black community. She ended up owing some lenders over a million dollars and a civil suit was filed against her..thats when she fled as she owed the chinese military some money as well.
    She was in the process of making some Malcolm X dolls in the 90's.. I believe 1,600 dolls had been seized..now thats a collectible.
    Shes the John Z DeLorean of toys.

Here's a pic of the Bolt Man, Digitino,and Butterfly Woman I picked up.

OMG !!!

Congratulations, my friend !
    Your collection is awesome...

Besides Digitino and Bolt Man , I only saw a loose Holograph pop up on eBay a year ago.
    I hope you complete your SM collection soon...

I still like to see Pig Head second version. Anyone ?

Was that Digitino from the Ebay seller who had a few of them about a month back? Missed out on those somehow.

I do have a loose complete Holographo, traded my MOC one to the owner of the onlinetoyshow site awhile back for the loose complete one.
    Visit The Action Figure Archive Forums to discuss, buy, sell & trade action figure lines of the 70s, 80s & 90s. Remember to checkout the action figure guide and online store on the site as well!

Check out my trade feedback here

No, this is not from that ebay seller, but the Butterfly Woman is from him. I was lucky enough to get her on a second chance offer from him. Nice guy.

Do you know how many Bolt Man, Holographo, Digitino and Space Sumo are known (loose and MOC) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Do you know how many Bolt Man, Holographo, Digitino and Space Sumo are known (loose and MOC) ?
    While recently collecting and trying to track down this line, Ive met and talked with a few "bigger collectors," and one thing I've learned is that these figures are few and far between. I've even posed the question: "What is harder to find, MOC or loose/complete?" with much debate.

My findings have only produced 4 Halographo's (3 MOC 1 Loose), 3 Bolt Man (2 MOC, 1 Loose) 4 Diginito's (3 MOC, 1 Loose) and 2 Space Sumo's (1 MOC, 1 Loose). 90% of these all belong to one collector Ive met.

While recently collecting and trying to track down this line, Ive met and talked with a few "bigger collectors," and one thing I've learned is that these figures are few and far between. I've even posed the question: "What is harder to find, MOC or loose/complete?" with much debate.

My findings have only produced 4 Halographo's (3 MOC 1 Loose), 3 Bolt Man (2 MOC, 1 Loose) 4 Diginito's (3 MOC, 1 Loose) and 2 Space Sumo's (1 MOC, 1 Loose). 90% of these all belong to one collector Ive met.
    Thanks for your answer !

So it seens Space Sumo is more hard to find than the others !!!
    Anyway, congratulations for your collections (again)....and remember; I am still interesting in Pig Head's weapons !!!!

Court Magician
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_tbm_DJV7Qg...oy+Ad_1986.JPG

Something im not getting here..based on the articles headline, what makes these figures so positive? I get that there arent many African American action figures but there arent many Hispanic, Asian, or native american figures. Every toyline that I know of has at least a few ethnic figures and I agree that most toylines are pre-dominantly white...But I dont get what this lady is trying to say...the figures have weapons and are action figures like any other...so the fact that they are predominantly african american...does that make them positive? So are white action figures negative???
    Not trying to troll here, Im not picking sides, im a white male in an interracial marriage..my wife could care less about the color of our kids action figures...sounds like an angry woman to me...just sayin.
    And then..in regards to the comic..pig face living in a cave?????? I grew up in the Queens NY public school system...I heard all I had to hear about the people who live in caves. Better yet...google "cave ***** and see what comes up.

Or maybe im just reading between the lines?
    Last edited by He-loser; December 9, 2012 at 05:03pm.

Making some new friends as I meet new folks and talking about the Sun Man line. Any new updates from anyone out there. There's got to be a collector on the org who has some loose or MOC, right?

This line is great, but I never heard of it before this thread,makes me feeling like starting to collect it and has so much potential do be done in MOTUC style!
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Quote Originally Posted by bianchi5 View Post
    (...)and has so much potential do be done in MOTUC style!
    ow... no, don't don't even joke like that, please...
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

It seems my Pig Head is getting famous...his former owner made a video and posted on youtube.

He said he sold this figure in an auction...

I'm still looking for pictures of the Pig Head variant...

Quote Originally Posted by Romer View Post
    ow... no, don't don't even joke like that, please...
    To tell you the true I really would like as a MOTUC sideline
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Just picked up a nicely carded Pig Head along with a first and second release of Sun Man himself. Thought Id share the fun.