Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Mini-Comic Cover Revealed

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I know you're "kidding," but that was kind of an unfair comment.
    Nope, not unfair as the Teela bashing on this site has begun again due to the new DC comic. Apparently now Teela shouldn't be wielding a sword, despite having used one since the very first minicomic, b/c She-Ra uses one too.
    That's not to say She-Ra shouldn't be on the cover, or in the story. Spector has more lines than she does which is absurd.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    I held off on posting it for as long as I could, I swear--I saw the link pop up on your wall and then kept refreshing the board here for at least 10 minutes, waiting for you to do the honors...until the hunger for the spoil became too much, LOL!
    I'm glad you did or it may have taken me another day looking at my wall to say... "Hey, wait a minute!!!"

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Nope, not unfair as the Teela bashing on this site has begun again due to the new DC comic. Apparently now Teela shouldn't be wielding a sword, despite having used one since the very first minicomic, b/c She-Ra uses one too.
    That's not to say She-Ra shouldn't be on the cover, or in the story. Spector has more lines than she does which is absurd.
    I think you're misreading/misinterpreting the discussions. Teela shouldn't wield a sword that looks like She-Ra's. That's what I got out of the discussions. Her sword should look like the ones the Royal Guards'. I mean she is/was their captain after all!

The one BG Teela has is fine. Significantly different than She-Ra's. The one she has in the new DC comic isn't cool. It's silver with a blue gem in it. That's the Sword of Protection!

Cool Teela swords:

NOT Cool:

Last edited by Darkspecter; July 6, 2012 at 07:46pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I had the same problem back in 200X with Teela's sword having what looked like to be a jewel in the center. No problem with her having a sword, just don't make the idea of it to look too much like She-Ra's.

Just drop the jewel looking thing in the middle and I'd be a-OK. Something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Two things: She-ra isnt in the comics because Mattel considers it a separate property
    Incorrect. That is only for the DC comics. She-Ra is in the first mini comic, same cannon as the MOTUC bios.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think you're misreading/misinterpreting the discussions. Teela shouldn't wield a sword that looks like She-Ra's. That's what I got out of the discussions. Her sword should look like the ones the Royal Guards'. I mean she is/was their captain after all!

The one BG Teela has is fine. Significantly different than She-Ra's. The one she has in the new DC comic isn't cool. It's silver with a blue gem in it. That's the Sword of Protection!
    Fair enough, but what I read had to do with the 200x sword, which looks nothing like the sword of protection imo. And I could be wrong, but I don't think it was even used in the cartoon. And I agree it would be cool for her to use a sword similar to the guards!
    As for the comic version: it's a motu comic, not a PoP comic, so I really don't think there's anything to be threatened by. I can't say I would have designed the sword that way though, in all honesty.

Fair enough, but what I read had to do with the 200x sword, which looks nothing like the sword of protection imo. And I could be wrong, but I don't think it was even used in the cartoon.
    As for the comic version: it's a motu comic, not a PoP comic, so I really don't think there's anything to be threatened by. I can't say I would have designed the sword that way though, in all honesty.
    It was used in the MYP cartoon. I can't find a good screen shot right now but:

It's cool that the cover has a vintage vibe, but it is a bit of let down after the first two covers, but I guess I won't complain because that second cover would be INCREDIBLY difficult to top!

However I will complain about The Second Ultimate Battleground. That's bugged the crap out of me since they first started saying it. There can only be one ultimate of anything...that's what makes it the Ultimate. We stopped calling it The Great War when World War II happened; we didn't call that The Second Great War cuz it sounds silly and incaccurate.

GREAT article!!!! LOTS of details and information, and all of it correct! Is the writer a major fan, or did the writer just say "Hey Scott, write this for me and we'll publish it in my column!"? I know that didn't happen and that the truth is that this person is simply an excellent writer who does their job incredibly well!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Two things: She-ra isnt in the comics because Mattel considers it a separate property, and Teela becomes Sorceress AFTER the 2nd UB when Sorceress falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Incorrect. That is only for the DC comics. She-Ra is in the first mini comic, same cannon as the MOTUC bios.
    From "Ask Matty"

Spellbound: Will She-Ra be in the new DC comic?

Because if not, I'd like to know in advance so I can cancel my pre-order.

It's bad enough with the Great Rebellions inclusion (or should I say non-inclusion) in MOTUC, but it'd just be yet another kick in the face for us Great Rebellion fans if she wasn't in the new comic.

Notice how I didn't say POP.

Toyguru: She is available, whether she will show up is up to the writers at DC. I'm not involved.
    http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/6531028267

She-Ra can be used in ANYTHING MOTU.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

The article in USA Today was a really good introduction to people who aren't into MOTUC. Maybe this will get some more people engaged.

The cover for the 3rd mini-comic also looks cool. It would make a good poster.

The only thing is though, she abandons the Castle during a battle that's really to take over the Universe (which means they want Castle Grayskull). There's no one there to protect it...which is her DUTY as the Sorceress. So, by going into battle and leaving the Castle unprotected, she's kind of turning her back on her heritage of the long line or Sorceresses that came before her.

ANYONE can sneak into the Castle while all these folks are distracted with battling each other (like Count Marzo, for example). I think it's pretty irresponsible of her. I *might* be looking too deeply into this, but I have a deep love and respect for the Sorceress (one of my most favourite characters). She died protecting the Castle (in MOTUC) and her daughter abandons it. I just...I don't know about this. Hopefully the story is good.

I LOVE the comic cover minus Battleground Teela. It just adds too many questions.
    Eh, well- the big battle seems to be taking directly in front of the Three Towers- it seems like the important place to be. While I don't necessarily like it (now as an adult or back then as a kid), it seemed to me the classic story was pushing the Eternia playset as something all sides were after versus the older storyline of Skeletor always trying to get into Castle Grayskull. The whole Three Towers thing has never been fully explained or explored- just kinda thrown into the stew- so I'm seeing this cover and thinking "This is where the biggest of all battles takes place. Not in front of Grayskull or the Royal Palace... control of Central Tower is the main goal here (for whatever reason)."
    For all I know, my favorite heroic characters, Rokkon and Zodac, are probably shacked up together inside Grayskull guarding its secrets while Teela is tasked by the Overlords of Trolla to fight by He-Man's side

Also, take into account this is merely the cover. Go back and look at other mini-comic covers. What's on the cover is not always what's literally going on inside. Nowhere in Slave City is Lodar about to bash an enslaved He-Man's face in with a mace. But it's there on the cover to "set the mood" of the story within.
    Last edited by zodak74; July 6, 2012 at 08:02pm.

I like the Flying Fists and Terror Claws variants on this cover they were my faviourate variants when I was a kid. However as a POP fan I am very disapointed with this cover. It feels like Mattel have continued their attempts to downgrade She-Ra. Letting Blonde Teela be pictured fighting Horde troopers is totally stealing She-Ra's thunder not forgetting that Mattel have let DC give blonde Teela a sword very reminisicent of the sword of protection in the new DC comic. What they are doing is evdient and it's really not cool. It comes across to me as if Mattel have very little respect for She-Ra! Things like this have really started to turn me and a number of others off the Blonde Teela character (Te-Ra). Scott, you really couldn't have thrown the POP fans a bone on this cover and asked Dark Horse Comics to use She-Ra to fight the Horde troopers (which are She-Ra's iconic foe's) instead of BG Teela, you must have had to sign of on this art as the brand manager?
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 6, 2012 at 08:12pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

As an aside, if I were going to have She-Ra on this cover, I'd much rather have She-Ra on the cover squaring off against Catra (who in my mind will ALWAYS be her main foe) than anybody else. If I could snap my fingers and make it happen, I think it would be cool to have this cover with Terror Claws Skeletor Vs Flying Fists He-Man, with BG Teela fighting BG Evil-Lyn to the left, and She-Ra vs. Catra on the right (both in classic toy costumes, of course). It would be a nice lil' dream cover for me, personally, but the creators had something else in mind. I'm not frothing at the mouth over their choice though, because it's a rather well-done piece of He-Man art, which I think is getting overlooked, sadly.

I LOVE the comic cover minus Battleground Teela. It just adds too many questions.
    Same here. For the record, I have nothing against the BG Teela character, it's just the way that the folks at Mattel have been using her character. The only good thing to come out of her being on the cover fighting Horde Troopers, is that I sort of feel vindicated now.

Without meaning to be rude, the folks who are saying: 'Calm down. Wait to see if she's in the comic.' are missing the point of the earlier discussion in the other thread.

Anyhow, I can't say I'm totally surprised about any of this. Again, it's just sad that they didn't take the opportunity to make She-Ra a focus on quite possibly the last mini-comic. She-Ra should have been the FIRST character we got to see fighting The Horde in this timeline. I hate to complain, but this just seems like yet another strong indication of what POP fans can expect in the future. I mean, is She-Ra gonna get to fight Horde characters after they've already been battled by every other Eternian character? Lame.

That cover looks awesome. I'm not that big a fan of Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor but they are rendered greatly. I kinda wished Wellinton Alves was doing the DC series as well.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    As an aside, if I were going to have She-Ra on this cover, I'd much rather have She-Ra on the cover squaring off against Catra (who in my mind will ALWAYS be her main foe) than anybody else. If I could snap my fingers and make it happen, I think it would be cool to have this cover with Terror Claws Skeletor Vs Flying Fists He-Man, with BG Teela fighting BG Evil-Lyn to the left, and She-Ra vs. Catra on the right (both in classic toy costumes, of course). It would be a nice lil' dream cover for me, personally, but the creators had something else in mind. I'm not frothing at the mouth over their choice though, because it's a rather well-done piece of He-Man art, which I think is getting overlooked, sadly.
    I agree with that. That would have been really cool (especially because "Sorceress Teela" strips Evil-Lyn of her powers via BG Evil-Lyn's bio).

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Same here. For the record, I have nothing against the BG Teela character, it's just the way that the folks at Mattel have been using her character.
    I agree. When people were asking for BG Teela, I threw in my support. I love Teela. Variants of Teela are cool. I really liked the figure and bought multiples for customs. How Mattel/DC is making She-Ra and Teela interchangeable is changing my feelings of BG Teela in a very negative way.

I mean...even if BG Teela was regular, redhead Teela on the cover...I still am not cool with her fighting the Horde Troopers and not She-Ra. I'd feel the same if they showed She-Ra commanding the Royal Guard: not her place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    That cover looks awesome. I'm not that big a fan of Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor but they are rendered greatly. I kinda wished Wellinton Alves was doing the DC series as well.
    I VERY much agree with this! I love the art of his I have seen so far.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

How Mattel/DC is making She-Ra and Teela interchangeable is changing my feelings of BG Teela in a very negative way.
    But that's not Blonde Teela's fault ... blame the "writer" !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Flying Fists He-Man

Could my most coveted (MOTU) variant be around the corner?!?!?!
    YES and TERROR CLAWS SKELETOR

Let's hate on Teela everybody!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Love what the cover is depicting, as well as all the characters on show, but I’m not a big fan of the actual art.

By the way, when I responded to the earlier question, I first thought this was the cover for the third DC comic.....my bad. And yer right, Toyguru said they had the rights to do She-ra, but may not choose to. Maybe I should read the full thing first, duh!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    I do hope that She-Ra is fighting Hordak on the inside of the comic

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    So you all think the New Sorceress wears a bikini and goes around and hits random robots? Doesn't sound very sorceressy...

Well... we're not dealing with random chick grabbed off the street. This is a sorceress trained by BOTH our sorceress AND Man-At-Arms!!!

Personally, i'd be a bit annoyed if she abandoned EVERYTHING that her dad taught her to go sit in the castle all day, point her fingers and zap people....

Especially since 'as it's been pointed out', While the towers are aruond, the games changed. she CAN go outside ^_^

The only thing is though, she abandons the Castle during a battle that's really to take over the Universe (which means they want Castle Grayskull). There's no one there to protect it...which is her DUTY as the Sorceress. So, by going into battle and leaving the Castle unprotected, she's kind of turning her back on her heritage of the long line of Sorceresses that came before her.

ANYONE can sneak into the Castle while all these folks are distracted with battling each other (like Count Marzo, for example). I think it's pretty irresponsible of her. I *might* be looking too deeply into this, but I have a deep love and respect for the Sorceress (one of my most favourite characters). She died protecting the Castle (in MOTUC) and her daughter abandons it. I just...I don't know about this. Hopefully the story is good.

WELL......

I'm not sure ANYONE can just walk in.... It's STILL a heavily fortified CASTLE. Stone walls... Jawbridge... Spirit of Grayskull wandering around... Not COMPLETLEY helpless.

MAYBE marzo using magic... but REALLY... with Hordak,Skeletor, AND King Hiss all in front of the towers, the castle REALLY isn't going to be attacked

Annoyingly once they came up with the 3 towers, suddenly THAT became the bigger prize than grayskull... one of my MOST hated ideas of the 80's... for me it was (and will be...) ALL about the Fortress of mystery and power!

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    However I will complain about The Second Ultimate Battleground. That's bugged the crap out of me since they first started saying it. There can only be one ultimate of anything...that's what makes it the Ultimate. We stopped calling it The Great War when World War II happened; we didn't call that The Second Great War cuz it sounds silly and incaccurate.
    We here in the US however DO learn about Bull Run. Battles of the Civil War... Both the FIRST Battle of Bull Run, AND the SECOND Battle of Bull Run. That's how they're described in the history books.

I agree with the people who say that 'Ultimate Battleground' is a PLACE, not an EVENT. You can have the FIRST battle of the Ultimate Battleground... but you can't really have a 'First Ultimate Battle.'

Still sounds a BIT goofy, but I'm able to roll with it

Disappointed your character is not on on the cover? Y'all need to start your own movement.

Remember "No Rio, We Riot"? Who is on the cover?