Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2012

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2012

Welcome to the Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread for July 2012!

Toyguru's Recent Posts on Mattycollector.com's Forum

Like last year, instead of posting EVERY little thing in it's own post, I'll gather them ALL the relevant MOTUC Ask Matty postings here. Keep checking for updates! The old threads are ancient history and won't be updated anymore. This is the new spot until next month.

As always, I'll put the most recent news up first, while the old news is down the bottom.

Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread I
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread II
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread September 2010
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread October 2010
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread November 2010
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread December 2010
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread January 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread February 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread March 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread April 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread May 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread July 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread August 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread September 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread October 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread December 2011
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC news thread January 2012
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread February 2012
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread March 2012
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread April 2012
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread May 2012
    Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread June 2012
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NEW STUFF!!!

Shadow Weaver And Imp

Any plans for a shadow weaver and imp action figure two-pack?

No.
    Please don't make BG Teela thigh as the default buck

I notice the female figures are losing their thigh rotation since BG Teela. That piece worked for BG Teela but please don't make that the default buck. For me the best of the female buck is BG Evil-Lyn (even with rotating wrist guards) then Bubble Power She-Ra (2 pieces clothing). Now we are going down hill after that. Can we Please bring back the old style thigh as default options for buck? Our ladies like to to do more than just standing there and look petty, Too.

This is a design choice made by the Horsemen and Mattel design (Ruben, Terry, etc...) on a figure by figure basis.
    DC era vs motuc canon

I'm a little confused, are the new DC comics the same canon from motuc (sir laser lot , Spector mentioned) or they are just a different canon with some similarities?

I mean if I see contradictions between them should not worry?

THe DC comic is 100% it's own cannon.
    My subscription page

At Toyfair you stated that the my subscription page would be back in a few weeks. After a few weeks you said it was almost done just with legal. It has now been 4 months, what's the hold?

This is just reassuring a lack of faith that customers have in matty/digital river. MOTUC has been going for 4 years and it is still a real pain in the behind to update our info. Why does it take 4 more months to be able to change a credit card/address without having to call and hope that the CS rep you spoke with konws what they are doing?

We are in beta testing now. We want to make sure it works before releasing it.
    POG Original Story

I know part 2 and 3 of the Powers of Grayskull mini-comics were never written but was there ANY information as to where the original story was headed? Have you discovered any new information on POG in the archives? He-Ro, once again, is short-lived. Does anyone die of old age in the MOTU world? Eldor?

The original outline was very basic noting He-Man would go back in time to team up with He-Ro and learn the secret to defeating the Snake Men. It was used to set up what would have been the 1987 line that never happened. It was very basic with few details. The first page is in the 2009 art book and the second page was on display in our case at SDCC that year.
    Wun-Dar variants?

While the default Wun-Dar is a sub exclusive that will never be rereleased, is it possible to release a Wun-Dar variant?
    e.g. using one of those 200X variants like Wolf Armor He-Man as a base to have a Wolf Armor Wun-Dar or a Samurai Wun-Dar... done in the Classics style of course!

I suppose anything is possible but no plans right now.
    2012 SDCC EXCLUSIVES

I couldn't find the right forum to post this question so here it is:

Last year Mattel made any leftover SDCC Exclusives available for sale on the website for purchase so that customers who were unable to attend Comic Con had a chance to obtain these items. However when I view the items I would potentially want, they already show as SOLD OUT. Are leftover exclusives going to be put up for sale on your website this year the Monday after Comic Con? I'm confused........

Yes, remaining stock may be sold online after the show. We will need to see how sales go at the show.
    Spector's Blade

I really like Spector's energy blade.
    But as it's part of his cosmic key device - is it actually supposed to be a weapon for battle?
    Or is it used to cut a path into the time grid (like cutting through the air and thus opening a portal through time) ?

By the way - I still want that energy whip

My intent was it was a weapon for battle. The plasma pellets that power his time circuits and his blaster can also produce plasma weapons like knives or whips (the whip had to be cut).
    Sales Tax....??????

Why suddenly are you charging sales tax on orders in Ohio? I noticed the invalid tax is not only for the item being purchased, but for the shipping as well!! Is this a glitch? What's going on?

*EDIT** Just saw on the Org that you are suddenly charging sales tax in NJ as well. Something doesn't seem right.

I'm honestly not sure about tax codes. I can only answer questions about product or brand issues.
    maybe a little playset like the horde slime pit?

if we cannot get something of the size of castle grayskull or even eternia that its sculpted already ( by the way i wish we could get that eternia just with a little bit taller towers for fit a figure inside the cage!!!) how about the slime pit??

We will need to see how larger items like Granamyr and the Windraider do before considering anything else that is big even a small playset.
    About 2 weeks away

I know that most of the SDCC items will be available on the site after the con, but you mentioned an update of the rest, and with it so close to the con I hadn't seen an update in the news or on the forum. Will any other items be available after the con (ex:Monster high).

That will depend on how well they sell at the show and if stock is left over. Some items like Vykron had specific versions created for sale post show, others will depend on sell out or sell through at the show and whether any is left over.
    Bright Moon army builder set

Loving the army builder sets we been getting lately, I would like to ask how about a Bright Moon Soldier army builder set? Which could come with one male and one female soldier and 4 heads (2 male and 2 female).

Anything is possible but no plans to announce right now.
    Wind Raider: Did it sell enough?

It might be too early to ask at this point, but how well is Wind Raider selling? So far so good?

You can still get one as of this posting if that helps.
    Free Gift w/ Vykron Purchase @ SDCC?

Haven't heard any news regarding this lately.

Were you able to make it happen?

If not, can you tease us and tell us what it was gonna be?

Can't wait for the reveals next week!

We won't know if this is happening until we get to SDCC and know it showed up for sure.
    Continued use of "action features" or "gimmicks" in MOTUC

In making unique designs on characters with added or recreating "gimmicks" on the rise in MOTUC, will there be an increase to this with those characters that call for it? Some like this trend (including me) while others believe it takes away from the original sculpt. Most have been hits with many fans (Stinkor, Mossman, Tallstar, Slush Head) but a few didn't hit it off that well (Sorceress enlarged wing drums, Vykron's one sided clip on armor.) Will something like clip-on armor or attachments be used in the future? I believe it can work on some other characters so as to not eliminate this decision because of some bad feedback. Some suggestions if/when talks about these characters ever come up for the line.

The Rock Warriors and Rio Blast - The stone armor pieces for Stonedar can clip on their bucks (arms, feet, legs, back & head) and can also connect together to make their rock forms separately. Rio Blast can have clip on weapon attachments on his body as well. Thanks.

AS long as an action feature does not require a new sculpt or distract from the look of a figure we will try to recreate it. Mekaneck is a great example of how action features are recreated in the Classics line using snap on parts, not an all new torso with a mechanism built in (that would be way more expensive to tool compared to the snap on parts!)
    One more before SDCC, please

Could we please have one more Director's Commentary pre-SDCC?

My latest blog is still with the proofing team but I hope to post it this week before leaving for San Diego.
    Spikor preview samples?

Can we expect preview samples of Spikor reaching reviewers before the July 16th sale?

Possibly. SDCC is taking a lot of our resources up right now and we'll have the final figure at SDCC for fans to see.
    I retract my statements

I have to give credit where credit is due, and credit is due to the new customer service team at Digital River. I had blasted off on a previous message about recieving my damaged Griffin and how I was expecting on being screwed over like all the previous times with D.R, but this time I had a new Griffin in my hands in less then 2 weeks of my original call. I don't know what you guys are doing differently but it seems to be working. keep up the good work.

So glad to hear!
    SNAKE MAN AT ARMS HELMET

I noticed the SNAKE MAN ARMS have an accured 200x awesome Helmet. It would perfectly match with the MAN AT AMRS mustache head. Since both the sculpt are already done and it's not required extra cost could you let it be available with the 200x MAN AT ARMS Cannon?

Was that awesome helmet like this since the early presentation of the figure or it has been improved along the way?

The helmet sculpt did not change during production. It was sculpted from day 1 by the Horsemen as it is in the final toy.
    MASTER edition figures

Have you guys thrown around the idea of doing "Master Edition" figures once a year that would be the most A list characters with the absolute best paint detail and the absolute best additional heads and weapons? I imagine a He-man or Skeletor with several head choices (face expressions, or hood no/hood) variable armor choices ( classic, 2000x, ice wolf etc...) then a full array of axes, swords, shields, episode specific nic-naks... pets... smaller characters. Of course such beauty would have an appropriate price tag. It could be several variants in one with accessory packs built in.

This is something we have looked into but no plans right now to announce.
    Battleground Teela at the 2nd Ultimate Battlegound? How?

After seeing the cover for the third mini comic I have to ask:

Why is Battleground Teela at the 2nd Ultimate Battlegound? Shouldn't Teela be the new Sorceress during the 2nd Ultimate Battleground?

You'll find out when you read the issue! Remember, covers for comic books rarely show the exact events inside, they are more often than not a promo or trailer for what is inside, not a 1:1 telling of actual events. Just look at the first two issues, neither of those had the events of the cover happen verbatim inside.
    Second Ultimate Battleground - Is She-Ra in the Comic?

The cover of the Second Ultimate Battlegound has been shown off today and it has Battleground Teela on the cover, fighting Horde Troopers (She-Ra's enemies).

Without spoiling anything, could you please give a simple "yes" or "no" to the following two questions?

1. Is She-Ra in the Second Ultimate Battleground mini-comic (she's not on the cover)?

2. Will it be explained how Sorceress Teela is able to appear outside Castle Grayskull in human form (Battleground Teela) and fight during the battle (abandoning her duty of protecting the Castle)?

Please let me know. Thanks for reading!

Sorry, but you will need to wait for Dragon Blaster Skeletor in the fall to find out details about the events of issue 3!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 7, 2012 at 10:27am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Glad to hear that the customer service team is getting better. I need to change my address soon and I'm so dreading that phone call.

Wow, that Brightmoon female guard is straight Glimmer reuse.

Sounds like they are not impressed by the sales of the second run of the wind raider. I would say we should not get our hopes up for future vehicles.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

And I feel like Granamyr is going to sell even less. I do wish that rather than something like Granamyr they would have tested waters with something along the lines of Point Dread & Talon Fighter or The Slime Pit. I think either of those would sell bigger numbers than Gran. Granamyr maybe should have been something for another year or two down the road. Instead, they're basing future large-scale items off of sales of a large rotocast, most likely limited-articulation dragon from the Filmation cartoon. Something that I worry isn't going to look as impressive on the shelf with the other figures as another vehicle or a smaller more interactive item like a playset/diorama piece.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Sounds like they are not impressed by the sales of the second run of the wind raider. I would say we should not get our hopes up for future vehicles.
    That does sound bleak, doesn't it. I hope that we at least see Battle Ram and Land Shark though. With those three vehicles in the line, I would be more than pleased. Certainly at least Battle Ram since it is sculpted. Right?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    That does sound bleak, doesn't it. I hope that we at least see Battle Ram and Land Shark though. With those three vehicles in the line, I would be more than pleased. Certainly at least Battle Ram since it is sculpted. Right?
    Some people are waiting for sale day, when everything can ship at once. Mattel seems to forget that their customers aren't willing or rich enough to pay multiple shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Outside of Point Dread & Talon Fighter (which is sort of in its own category, isn't it?), the vehicles I want to see most are the ones you listed. Maybe in order of release they should have done Battle Ram, Land Shark, then Wind Raider. Not that I don't think Wind Raider is amazing, but that Battle Ram prototype years back got people REALLY amped up for the possibility of its inclusion in the line. Plus more Battle Rams probably would have sold given the idea of the sled in the front detaching and being used as its own vehicle. I know I would have bought several (plus it's longer than it is wide, so I'd have the room for more Battle Rams than Wind Raiders, given the enormous wing span of the Raider taking up so much shelf space). As it stands, the Battle Ram is probably going to be one of those rare things that gets shown in its prototype stage but is never actually produced in MOTUC. I don't want it to be this line's Gyrattacker!

Yeh, I'm sure many more Wind Raiders will be sold on the 16th.

I really feel that the production of gran the filmation dragon will prove itself to be a poor choice. As some posters have stated, other options like point dread would have been more attractive. If I am right, all hope for future playsets will die with the red dragon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Yes, we alsonspecificaly put the WR and PKE up during SDCc as well to maximize exposure and potential sales! Here's hoping it does well!

Heroic Warrior
    "alsonspecificaly"

Indubitably.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    And I feel like Granamyr is going to sell even less. I do wish that rather than something like Granamyr they would have tested waters with something along the lines of Point Dread & Talon Fighter or The Slime Pit. I think either of those would sell bigger numbers than Gran. Granamyr maybe should have been something for another year or two down the road. Instead, they're basing future large-scale items off of sales of a large rotocast, most likely limited-articulation dragon from the Filmation cartoon. Something that I worry isn't going to look as impressive on the shelf with the other figures as another vehicle or a smaller more interactive item like a playset/diorama piece.
    I for one am delighted they chose to make Granamyr - a fan fave character from mini-comics and Filmation never seen in plastic before. The inclusion of Granamyr is everything this classics line was meant to be about.

It will be sad if fans don't get behind this figure by saving up for the purchase - but if Granamyr happens to be the last massive size MOTUC then so be it. At least we will have him in our collections. I can always place hold one of the vehicles from my vintage or 200x collections if need be for one of the old vehicles (as much as I want updated versions).

To be honest, even more than I want Battle Ram, if there was to be only one other MOTUC vehicle, I'd want the Collector. I've wanted the Collector since I was a kid and could never work out why Mattel didn't make one.

Sadly, I'm guessing given the Wind Raider is still on sale that other vehicles will be pushed off way into the future, possibly when the economy improves (if MOTUC is still going then).
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I would have happily bought two Granamyrs ... if he was green
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Some people are waiting for sale day, when everything can ship at once. Mattel seems to forget that their customers aren't willing or rich enough to pay multiple shipping charges.
    I agree.

I already own the Wind Raider from it's intial release, but there are a few characters available that I am hoping to pick up on sale date so that I can combine the shipping.

I think the real judgement should be around the 16th to see if people did bundle it with other items to save on shipping. I know I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I for one am delighted they chose to make Granamyr - a fan fave character from mini-comics and Filmation never seen in plastic before. The inclusion of Granamyr is everything this classics line was meant to be about.

It will be sad if fans don't get behind this figure by saving up for the purchase - but if Granamyr happens to be the last massive size MOTUC then so be it. At least we will have him in our collections. I can always place hold one of the vehicles from my vintage or 200x collections if need be for one of the old vehicles (as much as I want updated versions).

To be honest, even more than I want Battle Ram, if there was to be only one other MOTUC vehicle, I'd want the Collector. I've wanted the Collector since I was a kid and could never work out why Mattel didn't make one.
    Assuming he doesn't come out looking absolutely atrocious, I definitely plan on getting a Granamyr and agree his inclusion in the line is part of what MOTUC is all about. I just feel nervous about his sales being tied in with the future of larger-sized items- Mattel really just got into doing these larger outside the subscription items, and I feel like the first handful of them should have been somewhat safer, sure-fire choices in terms of stuff that fans would go batpoop crazy over and buy, buy, buy. An $80 (or somewhere in that ballpark) dragon seems far riskier than a $45/$50 vehicle like Battle Ram, Roton, Land Shark, or a Slime Pit. Maybe even a $45 Collector would be a bigger seller than the upcoming Granamyr figure. These are just my thoughts though, I don't really have any proof and who knows- maybe I'll be wrong (hopefully!) and Granamyr will sell out the same day he goes on sale! But with all the "We have to see how W, X, and Y sell before we get to Z" talk from Mattel, it seems like it would have been smarter to ensure W, X, and Y were affordable, sure-fire hits that fans would gobble up, and have Z = Granamyr.

Heroic Warrior
    "alsonspecificaly" is the name of the Mattel world class research facility- pretty cool, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    "alsonspecificaly" is the name of the Mattel world class research facility- pretty cool, huh?
    Oh no!! Toyguru typed an 'n' too many! Keyboard-warriors, bring out the pitchforks!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    Oh no!! Toyguru typed an 'n' too many! Keyboard-warriors, bring out the pitchforks!!!
    I wasn't the only one to point it out and it would be more than just a misplaced n that was wrong by the way. This also served well in baiting someone into proving people will try and jump on me because I'm critical of TG- thank you for proving that though!

Let me clarify this one more time for people who don't pay attention- I have NOTHING against Scott Neitlich WHATSOEVER, he's a good guy and he cares about the brand. My beef is with his "Toyguru" persona online that comes off as abrasive, ill-informed and counter productive to sales. Scott= GOOD Toyguru= PRETEND PERSONA. Hopefully this clarifies things once and for all.
    Last edited by vertigoink; July 7, 2012 at 05:33pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Hmmm...I'm a bit skeptical on the Powers of Grayskull outlines. I mean, I do not believe they would have outlined He-Ro dying when he was to be the lead character in this "add on line." You don't make a brand new line just to kill off the lead character in the second mini-comic! That kind of puts an end to the line real fast!

I'm sad Toyguru wouldn't say "yes" or "no" to She-Ra being in the third mini-comic and that we have to wait until we buy Dragon Blaster Skeletor. The cynic in me says: this might go with the "stringing PoP fans along" theory where Mattel gets PoP fans to buy stuff and then not include what they wanted. That's a semi-joke, just fyi.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Yes, we alsonspecificaly put the WR and PKE up during SDCc as well to maximize exposure and potential sales! Here's hoping it does well!
    Scott, could you please confirm that the items currently on sale WILL NOT disappear on the 16th's regular sale like happened last time there was a similar special sale going on? As you can see, LOTS of people are waiting until the 16th to buy stuff from the most wanted sale so that they can save on shipping--thanks!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    Why does this suggest pitchforks? I was merely poking fun at his typical typos. I was actually quite playful and passive this time around.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Why does this suggest pitchforks? I was merely poking fun at his typical typos. I was actually quite playful and passive this time around.
    He wants to impress TG by defending his honor- I wouldn't worry about it Mek.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    He wants to impress TG by defending his honor- I wouldn't worry about it Mek.
    You're right, TG is my hero. I have a lifesize poster of him above my bed.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Hmmm...I'm a bit skeptical on the Powers of Grayskull outlines. I mean, I do not believe they would have outlined He-Ro dying when he was to be the lead character in this "add on line." You don't make a brand new line just to kill off the lead character in the second mini-comic! That kind of puts an end to the line real fast!

I'm sad Toyguru wouldn't say "yes" or "no" to She-Ra being in the third mini-comic and that we have to wait until we buy Dragon Blaster Skeletor. The cynic in me says: this might go with the "stringing PoP fans along" theory where Mattel gets PoP fans to buy stuff and then not include what they wanted. That's a semi-joke, just fyi.

That's because this "outline" doesn't exist to begin with- Jim (Tallstar) and myself as well as Emiliano have all spoken to people who directly worked on the brand at the time and just like the 2nd and 3rd mini they were basically writing this totally off the cuff. The POG line was pretty much a last ditch effort by Mattel to save the brand but by the time they got any actual product prototypes out and production finished on Tytus and Megator in Europe the writing was on the wall and it was killed. The only reason Tytus and Megator even made it out overseas was 1. The line was still selling incredibly well there and would continue to for another year or so and 2. Mattel was contractually obligated to fill a certain number of sku's which Megator and Tytus covered.

EDIT

It seems TG edited his original post to reflect what I said above:

Toyguru on Mattycollector said:

The original outline was very basic noting He-Man would go back in time to team up with He-Ro and learn the secret to defeating the Snake Men. It was used to set up what would have been the 1987 line that never happened. It was very basic with few details. The first page is in the 2009 art book and the second page was on display in our case at SDCC that year.
    Last edited by vertigoink; July 8, 2012 at 08:50pm.