Thread: Suicide Squad Film Discussion

Heroic Warrior

Suicide Squad Film Discussion

Since we didn't have a thread for this, and the news is now official, figured I'd start it off:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/32...-suicide-squad

Really interesting casting...getting Will Smith will probably generate a lot of discussion, at least. Very curious to see what Leto does with the role, and love the casting of Robbie. I hope (probably in vain) they lean more pre-Nu52 with her, but we'll see.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    CNN had it reversed this morning, saying Smith was the Joker (which could have been interesting, actually). Sounds like it's taking cues from the original, pre-New 52 stuff (a good thing). No mention of Amanda Waller, though unless they actually cast someone who has the physical presence for the role of the Wall, it's probably just as well (really, Warners, CCH Pounder is out there, did the voice in JLU, and is about as perfect a piece of casting as you're going to find, both acting and appearance). I know the first thing folks will probably say is that no one knows the Squad; to those, may I introduce you to the Guardians of the Galaxy. My only fear here is Warner's track record with the DC movies; of the three Dark Knight movies and Man of Steel, I liked Batman Begins, period. Those movies focused far more on big battles and explosions than character, the opposite of the Marvel films that have done so well. And given the humorless tone of everything so far, I'm not even sure I can count on Boomerang being funny.

I like the fact that they are doing this, and I think it could be a really good film in the right hands. I just haven't seen anything to tell me there are any such hands at Warner Brothers right now...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I would be flabbergasted if Amanda Waller's not in this movie. They may have simply only announced the leading characters for now...I'm sure other roles will be filled out in time.
    Pounder would be great - I liked Pam Grier in the role, as well. Just so long as The Wall is present.

I'm also operating on the assumption that the Joker is not actually a part of the Squad itself...maybe he serves a role similar to the Assault on Arkham film. I could be wrong, of course, but Joker's quite literally the last human DC rogue I'd put on any kind of mission!

My only big fear with these movies is that they'll still do that 'apologetic' thing the last few DC movies did, where it seems like they're embarrassed to be about superheroes. I'm in a different camp from you, Scott, in that I loved the first two Nolan movies, and liked the third but had some big issues with it - but one thing that drives me nuts is the refusal to use actual character names without it being an ironic joke. (Scarecrow and Two-Face's names are just sort of tossed off. They never even say "Catwoman".) Man of Steel did the same, acting like saying "Superman" was something of which to be ashamed.

Just embrace the concept, DC. Commit to it, and you'll be fine. It's working for them on Flash & Arrow so far, so hopefully that mentality will get over to the movie folks as well. I'm trying to be optimistic.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I am also hoping Joker isn't part of the team.

I keep hoping with how successful the Marvel movies are the DC wisens up, of course I think Green Lantern kind of freaked them out but hopefully they realized where the mistakes were with that.

On Harley, pre52 >>> Current solo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Suicide Squad. I wouldn't mind it so much if they went with something like they have done in the current solo title. The problem they are going to have to decide what her and the Joker's relationship is.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Not particularly excited for any of the announced cast, personally. And really hoping that their #1 target for Waller doesn't happen. (Oprah-seriously, that's who they want first & foremost)

Not a Will Smith fan at all; I can barely tolerate his wife on Gotham. Hardy's overrated. Can't say I've seen Cara act in anything - I only know her as the model with the ridiculous eyebrows. Margot Robbie is gorgeous, but that's gonna be a tall order for her to fill, and the scrutiny will be on her like crazy. I can kind of see Leto as the Joker, but like w/Harley, there's gonna be a huge amount of scrutiny w/him after Ledger. I personally loved Jai Courtney on Spartacus, but Die Hard 5 was one of the worst movies I saw that year.

I hope DC/WB can learn to have fun with their movies, because that's been missing from all of them, outside of GL, which tried to have fun moments, but ultimately failed overall. "Why so serious?"
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullface View Post
    Not particularly excited for any of the announced cast, personally. And really hoping that their #1 target for Waller doesn't happen. (Oprah-seriously, that's who they want first & foremost)

Not a Will Smith fan at all; I can barely tolerate his wife on Gotham. Hardy's overrated. Can't say I've seen Cara act in anything - I only know her as the model with the ridiculous eyebrows. Margot Robbie is gorgeous, but that's gonna be a tall order for her to fill, and the scrutiny will be on her like crazy. I can kind of see Leto as the Joker, but like w/Harley, there's gonna be a huge amount of scrutiny w/him after Ledger. I personally loved Jai Courtney on Spartacus, but Die Hard 5 was one of the worst movies I saw that year.

I hope DC/WB can learn to have fun with their movies, because that's been missing from all of them, outside of GL, which tried to have fun moments, but ultimately failed overall. "Why so serious?"
    Why should fun matter? what do you think of Frank Miller, Denny O'Neil and Alan Moore?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Why should fun matter? what do you think of Frank Miller, Denny O'Neil and Alan Moore?
    Of course fun should matter in a superhero/villain movie, it's the reason that these kinds of movies exist.

As for those 3 writers

Frank Miller and Alan Moore are two of the worst writers in the history of comic books. Annoying, arrogant, pretentious boring blowhards who think they are God's gift to comics and who the strange delusion that everything they write is pure gold. They have done nothing of note in many years and instead having been existing and getting work solely on past achievements. Achievements that in my opinion they should never have been awarded because the very comics / graphic novels that got them so much acclaim are just as boring and pretentious as they are. Frank Miller also has the added bonus of being one of the most godawful "artists" to ever inflict his scribblings upon the masses...and now he directs films

God help us

As for Denny O'Neil...

Who the heck is Denny O'Neil?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Of course fun should matter in a superhero/villain movie, it's the reason that these kinds of movies exist.

As for those 3 writers

Frank Miller and Alan Moore are two of the worst writers in the history of comic books. Annoying, arrogant, pretentious boring blowhards who think they are God's gift to comics and who the strange delusion that everything they write is pure gold. They have done nothing of note in many years and instead having been existing and getting work solely on past achievements. Achievements that in my opinion they should never have been awarded because the very comics / graphic novels that got them so much acclaim are just as boring and pretentious as they are. Frank Miller also has the added bonus of being one of the most godawful "artists" to ever inflict his scribblings upon the masses...and now he directs films

God help us

As for Denny O'Neil...

Who the heck is Denny O'Neil?
    Well Alan Moore and Frank Miller brought comics to mainstream in the 80s making comics for adults like Watchmen, Killing Joke, Saga of Swamp Thing, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One , Sin City and more which made comics not like kids stuff, same goes for Heavy Metal magazine, The Sandman, Road to Perdition, Akira etc. proving comics can be for adults too.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; September 1, 2015 at 04:12am.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

This is fantastic news. Maybe WB is learning something from the negative feedback of BvS? I always thought it was fishy that an incredibly "Guardians of the Galaxy" trailer for Suicide Squad hit out of nowhere right when GotG hit home media. I assumed (because it was so different than previous trailers) that it was to cash in on Guardians success.

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an excellent source who told me something surprising: the trailer for Suicide Squad, the one with the Queen song, did not represent the film as it then existed. "Every joke in the movie is in that trailer," this source told me. The enormous positive response to the trailer led to Warner Bros requesting reshoots that would alter the tone of the film, bringing in some more of the lightness to which audiences responded.

I have since spoken to more sources and I understand that the reshoots are happening right now, as recently as this week, and that they're big - tens of millions of dollars big. And they're adding more humor and lightness into the film.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/03/...-dc-movieverse

The dark nature of ALL DC stuff is what turns people off. I saw the trailer last week at the cinema and the thought "It looks stupid...really stupid" was all that I could bring to mind.

Heroic Warrior
    guess we'll see how that "more humor and lightness" will pan out in August: see if the kowtowing to the internet will mean a GotG take at the box office, or a Snakes on a Plane wtf.

Can't wait to see Wendy and Marvin in the Justice League. Make sure Scooby-Doo gets a cameo too now.
    Last edited by tnktrk; March 31, 2016 at 02:31pm.

Umm. This links to this same thread...

i plan to enjoy this film alot.. snyder is NOT directing
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Heroic Warrior

news (link)

Unlike the Snyder films, I think this looks really good. From the SDCC trailer and regular trailer, it feels like a MCU movie which of course is great.

I really hope the film meet expectations cause the buzz around the film has been overwhelmingly positive....something the other DCCU films have lacked. I'm just as excited about this film as I am Civil War or Dr. Strange.

Leto's Joker is really the only thing in this I really don't like so far. The look of him is just so odd with the stupid teeth and tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    I saw the trailer last week at the cinema and the thought "It looks stupid...really stupid" was all that I could bring to mind.

That was the same response the GOTG trailer got. WB clearly copied Disney's GOTG formula to compile the trailer by adding popular music with humor to make people instantly curious about the film. It worked for Marvel with a bunch on C-list characters that most people didn't know anything about. At least DC as a few popular characters in SS like the Batman villains....Harley, Joker, and even Croc.