Thread: The Dark Knight Returns 30th anniversary

Heroic Warrior

The Dark Knight Returns 30th anniversary

Hard to believe this masterpiece of comics/graphic novels just turned 30! This one along with Heavy Metal Magazine, Watchmen, Swamp Thing etc. proved comics weren't just kids stuff. It had nice artwork done in a Ralph Steadman kind of way and good storytelling, not to mention it was a satire on the culture of the time with some dark humor and became a smash hit comic among the masses even critical acclaim even by Mickey Spillain. I was 4/5 years old when it came out and bought all 4 issues as they amazed me as they were different, they showed me that not everything is sugarcoated and made me a Batman fan. I later bought the graphic novel version when i was 13 as i sold my old 4 issues that were in plastic bags as it's one of my favorite graphic novels.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I think you're right, HarryCanyon. The Dark Knight Returns has been around since 1986 and was written by none other than pre-300 Frank Miller.
    Last edited by Neophron; January 7, 2016 at 09:29am.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    I thought 300 was Frank's last great book as it was an enjoyable work of historical fiction.

Anyone else liked the dark humor this comic had including the satirization of the punk age of the 80s?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone also like the animated film too?

Heroic Warrior
    This month is when it first came out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    I thought 300 was Frank's last great book as it was an enjoyable work of historical fiction.

Anyone else liked the dark humor this comic had including the satirization of the punk age of the 80s?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone also like the animated film too?
    I loved it. Growing up in NYC I remember when TS was all pimps and hustlers and punk rock.

I love the cartoon adaptation!

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    I know this will cause controversy but... I don't like the dark knight returns. year one I enjoyed but I was more of a fan of the detective batman and frank millers crazy thug in a cape was not how I see batman.

its a good story for what it was and Ill admit most of my favourite stories could not have been made without it but its not something I think should be treated as the best batman story ever written as most people think it is. to me its a there but for the grace of god or what if story, showing what would happen if batman had lost it after the death of Jason.

the other characters were treated horribly, the only things I liked from this and the sequel were the respect given to plastic man and carrie kelly
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
    I know this will cause controversy but... I don't like the dark knight returns. year one I enjoyed but I was more of a fan of the detective batman and frank millers crazy thug in a cape was not how I see batman.

its a good story for what it was and Ill admit most of my favourite stories could not have been made without it but its not something I think should be treated as the best batman story ever written as most people think it is. to me its a there but for the grace of god or what if story, showing what would happen if batman had lost it after the death of Jason.

the other characters were treated horribly, the only things I liked from this and the sequel were the respect given to plastic man and carrie kelly
    What do you think of Alan Moore's and Denny O'Neil's version?

I read batman in the late 80s early 90s at the time most comic books were extremely hard to get so it was trades and individual issues I was reading. the legends of the dark knight series was good the obeah man storyline was great. killing joke I read years afterwards. but it was the jla stories by grant Morrison that really made my interpretation of batman.

to me batman is bruce lee combined with Sherlock holmes. he can see gotham as the cesspit it is yet has hope that one day it will be the shining city he hopes it will be. he's not doing it out of vengeance or angst he is doing it so no child will ever feel the pain of losing there parents! to him its a sacrifice - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. yet through all this he is a loyal friend with a dry sarcastic humour to those who get close to him, has taught many heroes how to defendd themselves and although neither of them will admit it is best friends with the most powerful being on the planet.

batman the animated series, the novelisation of no-mans-land, superman/batman apocalypse, jla tower of babel these are the interpretations I consider great stories if you can pick up the stone king novel that's another great one. batman begins novelisation goes into a lot more detail and is closer to the comics

Heroic Warrior
    I read batman in the late 80s early 90s at the time most comic books were extremely hard to get so it was trades and individual issues I was reading. the legends of the dark knight series was good the obeah man storyline was great. killing joke I read years afterwards. but it was the jla stories by grant Morrison that really made my interpretation of batman.

to me batman is bruce lee combined with Sherlock holmes. he can see gotham as the cesspit it is yet has hope that one day it will be the shining city he hopes it will be. he's not doing it out of vengeance or angst he is doing it so no child will ever feel the pain of losing there parents! to him its a sacrifice - the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. yet through all this he is a loyal friend with a dry sarcastic humour to those who get close to him, has taught many heroes how to defendd themselves and although neither of them will admit it is best friends with the most powerful being on the planet.

batman the animated series, the novelisation of no-mans-land, superman/batman apocalypse, jla tower of babel these are the interpretations I consider great stories if you can pick up the stone king novel that's another great one. batman begins novelisation goes into a lot more detail and is closer to the comics
    What do you think of the animated version of this legendary story?

And face it, without Frank Miller's version, we wouldn't had Batman being more popular than ever as i recalled 30 years ago the media even in the papers and magazines went nuts over this story as i was part of the bandwagon as it showed me that the world wasn't sugar coated you know in comics. I became a Miller fan as much as when i was 4 when i read Swamp Thing comics i became a Alan Moore fan. And without Miller and Moore's takes making Batman cool again away from his campy image, there'd be no Tim Burton, Bruce Timm and Nolan films and shows.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And without Miller and Moore's takes making Batman cool again away from his campy image, there'd be no Tim Burton, Bruce Timm and Nolan films and shows.
    Nope.

Batman was well away form his campy image before the Dark Knight was even an idea. In the 70s and 80s you had Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams who were absolutely the ones to bring Batman back to the dark and away form the TV show. Then Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers telling noir tinged stories. And they were the ones who made the Joker scary and deadly. Then you had Doug Moench with Tom Mandrake and Paul Gulacy telling crime stories with the creation of characters like Black Mask.

Dark Knight just continued on with what had been happening for the past 15 years. It got the mainstream press because it was an unprecedented 2.95/issue and DC promoted the hell out of it - something you never really saw before. DC used it to reach a new audience, but as far as content, it really wasn't really a departure form what they were already doing.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Nope.

Batman was well away form his campy image before the Dark Knight was even an idea. In the 70s and 80s you had Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams who were absolutely the ones to bring Batman back to the dark and away form the TV show. Then Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers telling noir tinged stories. And they were the ones who made the Joker scary and deadly. Then you had Doug Moench with Tom Mandrake and Paul Gulacy telling crime stories with the creation of characters like Black Mask.

Dark Knight just continued on with what had been happening for the past 15 years. It got the mainstream press because it was an unprecedented 2.95/issue and DC promoted the hell out of it - something you never really saw before. DC used it to reach a new audience, but as far as content, it really wasn't really a departure form what they were already doing.
    Yes indeed, Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams is excellent and my fave version in comics as they were the ones who made Batman away from campy.

Oh i remember the promotions in the Swamp Thing and Superman comics like it was yesterday, i knew i had to go to the book stores in my city to get the comics of Dark Knight Returns and delivered the hype as they blew my mind.

Do you agree the 80's was a fantastic time for comics even as adults got reading into mainstream comics thanks to Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Heavy Metal Magazine, V For Vendetta, The Sandman, Swamp Thing, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Ronin, Akira etc.? all these were hits you know, even EC started re-issuing their 50's classic horror, suspense, thriller and sci-fi comics back even to cash-in on the Tales from the Crypt TV show to show a new generation who loves the show where it actually all began. Yet some of the successful 80's mature readers comics i mentioned spawned some imitators in the 90s who took the wrong lessons from Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Richard Corben, Katushiro Otomo etc.

I had the pleasure of taking Klaus's graphic novel class at the School of Visual Arts in the late 1990s. He had a ton of good stories of what was going on behind closed doors while he was inking the book. If you see him at a Comic Con, I think he usually goes to NYC CC, see if you can get him to tell you about the guy who was his assistant at the time.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    I had the pleasure of taking Klaus's graphic novel class at the School of Visual Arts in the late 1990s. He had a ton of good stories of what was going on behind closed doors while he was inking the book. If you see him at a Comic Con, I think he usually goes to NYC CC, see if you can get him to tell you about the guy who was his assistant at the time.
    Oh that is awesome

batman is a strange character isn't he? theres been the original, the adam west version, the 60's new batman adventures (which is the adam west show done seriously), the burton movies, the shumacer movies, frank millers batman (and yes this includes all star batman and robin as well as year one) the brave and the bold toon, batman the animated series etc

throughout all these stories theres only a few constants but each is as valid an interpretation as the rest. I guess that part of his appeal that each generation have their batman. he's even survived the most evil villain of all, THE NEW 52! with his history mostly intact

to me batman is bruce lee combined with Sherlock holmes.
    Yeah I always felt like Batman was Holmes and Gordon was his Watson. Especially after I read Gotham by Gaslight.

Heroic Warrior
    batman is a strange character isn't he? theres been the original, the adam west version, the 60's new batman adventures (which is the adam west show done seriously), the burton movies, the shumacer movies, frank millers batman (and yes this includes all star batman and robin as well as year one) the brave and the bold toon, batman the animated series etc

throughout all these stories theres only a few constants but each is as valid an interpretation as the rest. I guess that part of his appeal that each generation have their batman. he's even survived the most evil villain of all, THE NEW 52! with his history mostly intact
    What about Denny O'Neil, Neal Adam, Alan Moore and Nolan?

they were included under etc.

what do you think of the controversy surrounding Affleck who is essentially playing dark knight returns batman in the new movie?

myself I think he'll do great, the carpark scene in dogma shows he can play dark very well and daredevil although it was maligned was a good movie it just came out at the wrong time and was cut to shreds by the studio

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Nope.

Precisely. Batman was taken back to his creature of the night roots long before Miller came along. And it is basically the 70's O'Neil/Adams/Englehardt/Rogers Batman that was featured in the Animated Series (a number of episodes, especially the ones that introduced Ra's Al Ghul, came almost directly from those 70's comics).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    they were included under etc.

what do you think of the controversy surrounding Affleck who is essentially playing dark knight returns batman in the new movie?

myself I think he'll do great, the carpark scene in dogma shows he can play dark very well and daredevil although it was maligned was a good movie it just came out at the wrong time and was cut to shreds by the studio
    The Director's Cut of Daredevil is better.