Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 - Cartoon Thread - 9-29-012

Watched the first ep and not a fan at all. The animation is worse then i thought it would be with the mix of cgi, traditional and motion comic is off putting. April looks terrible, especially her head design, the whole thing was very childish and seemed to make the turtles appear incompetant with Leo only made leader because he asked first. As for the theme, lets just say i HATE rap.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Watched the first ep and not a fan at all. The animation is worse then i thought it would be with the mix of cgi, traditional and motion comic is off putting. April looks terrible, especially her head design, the whole thing was very childish and seemed to make the turtles appear incompetant with Leo only made leader because he asked first. As for the theme, lets just say i HATE rap.
    So I take you disliked it as a whole
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

HIGHLY enjoyed it! I was sucked in right quick. Great writing, fantastic voice acting, fun, funny, and...well honestly, I do not see what some of you are calling "bad video game graphics." 'Cause DANG. I wish some video games looked like that. And it sure as HECK looks better than mid-90's early 3D graphics! Whoo boy...I mean that's not even a comparison. Just...not at ALL. I thought the mix of 2D style reaction shots and the 3D looked fantastic! Most 3D shows look so plastic, but this one was way more...involving. The scenes and the characters blend right in! I friggin' love the overall style. Only thing I'll say against it is that the humans look a little stiff, but every animated series gets a little better as they go along. The Turtles though....man, I love 'em. I'm very impressed with the speed of them as well; many of the computer animated shows I've seen really have a problem with displaying speed, and I'm happy that none of the action takes a hit here. None of the usual junk from this one; it just feels like I'm watching a regularly animated show.

Well done! I'm very much looking forward to more.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I think the graphics were fine, it looked the same as the 1st season of Clone Wars. As that show progressed the shadow and lighting were fine tuned and they learned some new animation techniques.

The concept art for this show matches almost exactly the CGI so I think its a bit simple by design, it also translates very well for the toy creation (well except for April and Splinter)

But there are definitely cheaper looking shows currently on the air
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I hate rap too..all the same dull sound with mostly hate lyrics from what i've come to understand...

But darn it, If I don't find the theme song catchy. I like it
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I hate rap too..all the same dull sound with mostly hate lyrics from what i've come to understand...

But darn it, If I don't find the theme song catchy. I like it
    Yeah the more I hear it the more I like it, its not rap that takes over the song and the cues back to the original theme I think make it OK

I bought the season pass on iTunes and the amount of bonus content impressed me. They had the first 2 episodes ready to go as well as a bunch of trailers and concept pieces and the full 48min SDCC panel.

Just watched the first 2 episodes online. I got the same feeling when I watched 200x MOTU, and the new Thundercats. I think it's a perfect update and can't wait for more episodes. I was never a big Turtles fan, my younger cousin was more into them watching the cartoon and having a ton of the figures.

As several people have already mentioned Nickelodeon has done a great job marketing this new iteration of Turtles. Toys are already out in stores, commercials are online and on TV, it has been promoted very well.

I wasn't too worried about the voice acting since Andrea Romano was involved and anything she is associated with has an awesome voice acting cast.

I think we will definitely see more episodes of this than the new Thundercats, at least 52. Lately though it doesn't seem like animated shows get much more than that.

I look forward to watching more of this show.

I liked the reference to the Super Mutants at the beginning of the second episode, very cool nod to the obscure Japanese OVAs.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    So I take you disliked it as a whole
    well the turtles design itself is good and with more work could be better. That and the voice acting was good.

but those are the only things that I can say I liked.

I really loved the show, a LOT more than I thought.

Damn, that theme song is catchy.

The animation wasn't bad at all. I for one liked the different styles they used during the show. Very risky but I think it works quite well.

I like the humor and the action. The characterization was good as well. I loved the way the Krangs talked and it made me laugh. I really can not wait to see the rest of the season.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    Damn, that theme song is catchy.
    I really enjoyed the updated theme song as well!

I was entertained during the premiere episode but I'm not sure if this is something I'd really stick with. For me the animation is offsetting as I don't really like the computer animated stuff that much. Ralph is still awesome though!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I liked it a lot, feels like a nice blend of the 80s and the 2003 series. I will stick with it for a while at least.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I watched it with my 2 sons (10 and 8). I thought it was cool, they LOVED it. My youngest wanted to drive out and get a Michaelangelo figure as soon as it was over... which we did not do! But if these 2 are any indication, I think kids will really like this!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I thought it was great. I loved the theme song, and the Turtles are hilarious and their models and animation are excellent. I really dug the traditionally animated anime stuff, it totally worked for me. I also thought that the voices and characterization of the Turtles were perfect.

The models and animation of everyone besides the 4 Turtles was disappointing though. April, Splinter, the Krangs, etc. all looked ho-hum and it was pretty obvious that all of the animation talent was concentrated on making the Turtles look good. The other characters were a little more stiff, and less expressive. Good stuff overall though and I'm excited for more.

First want to get out of the way that I hate the theme song! The rap is just awful! Other than that I loved the premiere! Was glad to see that Splinter's cane is green like the toy. He looks very cool in this! I like how different the turtles seem to be. Rob Paulsen is a great Donny! Don't mind the way April looks. Can't wait to see her interact more with the Turtles. Small complaint, with they would have given Shredder a Japanese accent or something! The Kraangs were cool. But I hope to see maybe one will have a individual personality instead of being Borg like, One mind. I hope the rest of the series lives up to the previous series! Oh anyone else like that they had Channel 6 News on it?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    When the Shredder was revealed at the end, I was half-expecting that yuuuuuuuuuuuuul sound from the 200X TMNT that played whenever there was a Foot Clan reveal!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Aside "Kid Mikey being an idiot", The Weapon Twirling, and Teen April, I really enjoyed the show a lot... My biggest worry was Jason Biggs as Leonardo, but he did a decent job... Incredibly enough I couldn't wrap my head around Donatello sounding like Yakko. I mean, I love most of Rob's voicework and this one was awesome, but something did not click too well with me about Mr. Paulsen being Donny.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Aside "Kid Mikey being an idiot", The Weapon Twirling, and Teen April, I really enjoyed the show a lot... My biggest worry was Jason Biggs as Leonardo, but he did a decent job... Incredibly enough I couldn't wrap my head around Donatello sounding like Yakko. I mean, I love most of Rob's voicework and this one was awesome, but something did not click too well with me about Mr. Paulsen being Donny.
    that's how i feel about panthro voiceing the shredder . The voices of the two are just too similar. And I like KMR as Panthro ..
    Geek Media -

I enjoyded it these two first episodes. Michelangelo was made bit too simple minded for my taste even he supposed be most relaxing Turtle. I really liked part where Turtles got first taste of Pizza.... Somehow I feld something similar from Shredder's voice. Maybe same actor was in Transformers Prime.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Somehow I feld something similar from Shredder's voice. Maybe same actor was in Transformers Prime.
    Yup. Kevin Richardson. He's in pretty much EVERYTHING these days, and he's Bulkhead on Prime.

Speaking of voices, I'm sorry - but it's REALLY bugging me that Raphael's voice is coming out of Donatello's mouth!

Other than that, I really enjoyed the premiere. I think the writing handles the characters well, and is really funny. It's not taking itself too seriously, which I like, and the fluidity of the movement is fun to watch. I appreciate that they kept some of the original theme, and little nods to the original 'toon (which is really the only TMNT incarnation I've ever been really into.)

I do hope there's going to be some kind of a "Krang prime", or something - someone for Shredder to have an ongoing dialogue with.

The design of Snakeweed was interesting - kind of gruesome how he ripped his legs apart (you could see the bones, etc. inside.)

I'll definitely be keeping up with this show, and I hope it does well!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

i think it's deeper than 'you asked first' I liked the explanation there, he took the initiative and splinter must see that that's leo's personality, but in TELLING him it's because he asked first Splinter is teaching Leo a lesson in both leadership AND humility. it's a Tao thing. AFTER Leo asked the others asked too, if Splinter said Leo you are leader because you are the best etc, it robs Leo of humility.

honestly it was a simple statement but if you apply eastern philosophy to it, you see a lot of meaning.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

But to apply eastern philosophy you have to know eastern philosophy and i doubt a lot of western kids know or even care about such stuff and this is a kids show. That and I like to view things simply and don't much care to look for deeper meanings. Leo asked first and was made leader, for it is that simple and I believe for most children it is as well
    Last edited by wolfsfang; October 1, 2012 at 02:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post

I do hope there's going to be some kind of a "Krang prime", or something - someone for Shredder to have an ongoing dialogue with.
    I was wondering that as well.. maybe this is a clone army that the real krang created, and even though it didn't turn out all that right, he's using it anyway. Dimension X IS in this new show after all, but I can't see Shredder allying himself with these idiot aliens..
    Geek Media -

But to apply eastern philosophy you have to know eastern philosophy and i doubt a lot of western kids know or even care about such stuff and this is a kids movie. That and I like to view things simply and don't much care to look for deeper meanings. Leo asked first and was made leader, for it is that simple and I believe for most children it is as well
    in one episode, maybe it will expand further as the series does. but then again maybe not. but i am basing my opinion on the series with how I view it, not how a kid will view it. a kid will see action, fighting, comedy and fun. they won't care much about the deeper stuff. we will see how things go but so far I enjoyed it. not perfect by any means but I like it and hope it does well. I personally LOVE philosophical ambiguities where the teacher has a plan all along that seems to make no sense to the students or even at times the viewers. I've always loved those aspects in martial arts movies, so i'm hoping this leader thing is one of those instances.

Fear is faith in failure

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I personally was hoping for the best, but unfortunately for my tastes, it pretty much sucked. I made it through the first episode, by the time the second episode was going it served as background noise while I played Marvel Pinball on my PS Vita.

I'm sure that I'm just old fashioned, but the original series just made me laugh more and kept my interest so easily. Plus I'm about sick of CGI stuff. When did we go from "cartoons" to "animated series"?

I'm sure I'll hang in a bit. But I'm not gonna save it to DVD anymore, that's for sure.

CGI in theory, in the long term becomes cheaper and faster to turn around. once all the models are made and the animations are set, it's a lot easier to produce. I LOVE GREAT 2d animation (Young Justice, Avatar) but I also love good CGI, I find that TMNT uses CGI in a pretty unique way, they use it at time LIKE a 2d program would not to mention the mixed media stuff. as an animation enthusiast, I like seeing experiments done.

Fear is faith in failure