Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 - Cartoon Thread - 9-29-012

Thanks, guys! I'm really only familiar with the 80s cartoon, so I was somewhat surprised by Baxter. I'll probably need to get into the 200x series to get more info about the TMNT.

OK that Metalhead episode was awesome, right mix of action and comedy.

Loved Metalhead joining them and making so much noise due to his weight and then Donny talking in the Krang cadence at the end so they would understand he was mocking them
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    So the new cartoon started already? How is it thus far? How does it compare to the great 4Kids series (my god, 4Kids and great should never be in the same sentence)?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    So the new cartoon started already? How is it thus far? How does it compare to the great 4Kids series (my god, 4Kids and great should never be in the same sentence)?
    If you liked the 200X TMNT, you might want to stay away from this show. It might be way too kiddie and silly for you. It's closer to the original Eastman and Laird comics than the 80's series was, but this show is not dark and serious as the 200X TMNT, nor is it as campy as the 80's version. Michelangelo can get real annoying.

I suggest giving the series a shot.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Yes its been on for almost a month, the newest episode aired this morning introducing Metalhead.

The 4Kids series was way too serious, if you liked that then you might not like this. This one is similar to the 87 toon but also more like the original comics. Its got a good mix of humor and action.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yes its been on for almost a month, the newest episode aired this morning introducing Metalhead.

The 4Kids series was way too serious, if you liked that then you might not like this. This one is similar to the 87 toon but also more like the original comics. Its got a good mix of humor and action.
    I think the 200X show had the best mix of humor and action, by being mostly an action show with the occasional humor bit from mostly Michelangelo and Splinter.

But then, as an original Eastman and Laird comics fan, I like my TMNT mostly serious. Dr. Kain might be the same way. Seeing comic strip strange faces, drool, exclamation points and the TMNT screaming like children are a turn off to me.

I just watched the Baxter Stockman episode. I'm not a big fan of how he is portrayed, basically a wimp who didn't come off as very bright.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    OK I have caught up with the episodes and I LOVE this show. It's very enjoyable and funny as well. Much better than the 2002 version. I get a bit if the Mirage cartoon feeling in this new show. Watching this in HD is awesome! Can't wait for the toys to hit in December 1st!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Metalhead was awesome! I kinda wish the toy was in scale with how he is in the show, though. That and...well give him some accessories! Geeze! Look at all the crap he can do! He fires off lasers constantly and shoots a flamethrower ONCE, and that's the only weapon the toy gets?

Ah well, anyway: The episode was hilarious and I loved it. Also love how Metalhead's little light on the top of his head is the same color as his brain on the original toy.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Today's episode (The Gauntlet) was too awesome, Shredder is just a total badass villain!

Heroic Warrior
    I agree it was a great episode.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    I watched the episode Monkey Brains yesterday on Nick (we are getting the latest eps a week after they screened in the US which is amazing for a cartoon to be screened here in Australia) and whilst the turtles design is something you have to get used to I like it. Is it me or is there a unwritten rule that a 80's toon remake has to have a Jeffrey Combs guest appearance/ starring part? Transformers Prime, Thundercats and now TMNT as a surprise surprise a mad scientist Dr Falco. Not that Iam complaining of course as I love the man but I hope this character appears again and not be a one off.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    great show, i have noticed a lack in villains, in the sense that, they just dont seem to care about them in general. it doesnt bother me, because the show has great characters and very well written, but i feel like they just are making throw away villain characters. i could be wrong, but most of them on already i wouldnt really see myself, or kids really wanting toys of, like i use to remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    great show, i have noticed a lack in villains, in the sense that, they just dont seem to care about them in general. it doesnt bother me, because the show has great characters and very well written, but i feel like they just are making throw away villain characters. i could be wrong, but most of them on already i wouldnt really see myself, or kids really wanting toys of, like i use to remember it.
    Not really sure I agree, we had had 9 episodes and two of the main villains have been present in at least 3 episodes, Dogpound is the main villain in next weeks ep.

They had to build up Shredder and by having the turtles beat the villain of the week it made them overconfident

So I get what you are saying but after this weeks ep it is clear why they did it the way they did. I think from this point they are going to push the main 3 villains hard

Not really sure I agree, we had had 9 episodes and two of the main villains have been present in at least 3 episodes, Dogpound is the main villain in next weeks ep.

They had to build up Shredder and by having the turtles beat the villain of the week it made them overconfident

So I get what you are saying but after this weeks ep it is clear why they did it the way they did. I think from this point they are going to push the main 3 villains hard
    My only issue is "mutantize" every villain gimmick. it's something that turned me off of the show in the 80s/90s just a personal preference, I always preferred the ninja/eastern elements of tmnt to the sci-fi stuff. that said I still enjoy the show a tonne and I realize it's probably easier to sell crazy villains than human ones.
    But I hated the movie secret of the ooze and pray pray pray they don't turn shredder into a mutant. ugh. that was awful.
    Last edited by krosfyah; November 19, 2012 at 06:54am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Yeah but I think that is how the TMNT world is structured, I mean they are talking Turtles Also to be fair both Dog Pound and Fish Face were regular humans for multiple episodes and that was not that interesting lol

As long as Shredder remains the same I think it grounds it some, I wonder if Splinter will face off against Shredder ala Yoda vs the Emperor in Episode III

I loved the comic homages in the episode. The TMNT were all scratched up just like in TMNT#1, but without the blood. The part where they showed the wounds on all the turtles is straight from the comic!

That was an awesome episode! I don't know much about the original comics, but I know enough to see the homages.

What's funny is how the whole mutation thing works...I mean, technically the last things Xever and RadBrad touched were the Turtles...SOOO... yeah. I mean, how long ago in the day did Xever touch a fish? When was Brad bitten? How is that STILL with them when they get mutilated (heh, I see what I did there)?

Not that that's a complaint or anything. I'm gona miss Xever, though. He's awesome! Hopefully he's still awesome as a fishman.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Yeah but I think that is how the TMNT world is structured, I mean they are talking Turtles Also to be fair both Dog Pound and Fish Face were regular humans for multiple episodes and that was not that interesting lol

As long as Shredder remains the same I think it grounds it some, I wonder if Splinter will face off against Shredder ala Yoda vs the Emperor in Episode III
    yeah, I know like I said I prefered the eastern elements stories more in the comics too, even just urban stuff, when they went into space etc I wasn't that into it. shredder and the foot comic arcs were my favourites, and i like some mutants, but with how wacky the fred wolf series got, it burned me out! I will miss the human guys they were grerat characters and formidable foes, we will see how they do as mutants though. Again my selfish side wants urban ninjas and eastern stuff over everything else, those other elements as minor deviations. but again I really am enjoying this series even without hitting on my selfish wants.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    This was my favorite episode by far. Shredder is such a badass in this new series! I loved that he really gave the Turtles a beating! This is my favorite animated series in quite some time!

As for the Mutagen, I was wondering that as well. I assumed they were going with the same "last thing you touched" theory as the original cartoon, but yeah....technically they touched the Turtles in that fight, right? Unless another Mutant doesn't count? Honestly, we're probably just overthinking it. I'm REAL excited to see them as Dogpound and Fishface now!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    My only issue is "mutantize" every villain gimmick. it's something that turned me off of the show in the 80s/90s just a personal preference, I always preferred the ninja/eastern elements of tmnt to the sci-fi stuff. that said I still enjoy the show a tonne and I realize it's probably easier to sell crazy villains than human ones.
    But I hated the movie secret of the ooze and pray pray pray they don't turn shredder into a mutant. ugh. that was awful.
    That is one of my big issues and thank you for pointing it out. In the original comics and the 2003 show there were very few mutants, probably just the Turtles, Splinter and Leatherhead. That was it and it made them special, like the accident that created them was unique and could not be duplicated. It didn't make the villains any less interesting but it added to the mystique of our heroes. It gave the impression that they are one of a kind.

If you love Ninja Turtles I would definitely give this show a try, but if you lean closer more to the 2003 series then be prepared. It's like watching Justice League Unlimited and then watching Super Hero Squad. HERO UP!
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    That is one of my big issues and thank you for pointing it out. In the original comics and the 2003 show there were very few mutants, probably just the Turtles, Splinter and Leatherhead. That was it and it made them special, like the accident that created them was unique and could not be duplicated. It didn't make the villains any less interesting but it added to the mystique of our heroes. It gave the impression that they are one of a kind.

If you love Ninja Turtles I would definitely give this show a try, but if you lean closer more to the 2003 series then be prepared. It's like watching Justice League Unlimited and then watching Super Hero Squad. HERO UP!
    no problem. I liked what I saw of MOST of the 2003 series, but I abandoned it after Shredder = Utrom thing and then came back sporadically. I downloaded the series so I'm going to give it another shot. I actually liked the Daimo stuff, from what I saw, so it was definitely more hit than the fred wolf series for me (as that got SOOOO wacky!) this new series seems to balance between the two. but I like it a lot so far except for the reasons I pointed out. I too prefer the mutations to be special. so far almost every week we've had someone mutate

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    As for the Mutagen, I was wondering that as well. I assumed they were going with the same "last thing you touched" theory as the original cartoon, but yeah....technically they touched the Turtles in that fight, right? Unless another Mutant doesn't count? Honestly, we're probably just overthinking it. I'm REAL excited to see them as Dogpound and Fishface now!
    I wonder if what they were going for was the last animal you interacted with, meaning had considerable contact with. Holding the fish for a long time or getting bit is more intimate contact then punching or throwing a turtle.

Then again I think you are right and we are overthinking it

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    no problem. I liked what I saw of MOST of the 2003 series, but I abandoned it after Shredder = Utrom thing and then came back sporadically. I downloaded the series so I'm going to give it another shot. I actually liked the Daimo stuff, from what I saw, so it was definitely more hit than the fred wolf series for me (as that got SOOOO wacky!) this new series seems to balance between the two. but I like it a lot so far except for the reasons I pointed out. I too prefer the mutations to be special. so far almost every week we've had someone mutate
    If I can recommend an episode or episodes for you to check out I'd suggest:

Season 1

The King - Donatello meets Jack Kirby!
    The Shredder Strikes Back, Part 1 and 2
    Return to New York, Part 1, 2 and 3
    The Search for Splinter, Part 1, 2 and 3 - A story almost straight out of the comics, which leads to

Season 2

Turtles in Space, Part 1 to 5 - These episodes made it clear that this was the true cartoon representation of the Ninja Turtles
    Secret Origins, Part 1, 2 and 3 - Great origin of the Utroms
    What a Croc! - They meet a brother of the ooze, Leatherhead
    The Big Brawl, Part 1 to 4 - The incredible Battle Nexus Tournament and can you say Usagi Yojimbo

Season 3

Time Travails - Renet!
    Hun on the Run - A pretty good Kirai episode
    The Real World, Part 1 and 2 - Leo and Usagi team up in a parallel feudel Japan populated by anthropomorphic samurai animals
    Exodus, Part 1 and 2 - The ultimate showdown. The Turtles must stop the Shredder, no matter what the cost.

This is just the start, but it's a good start. I hope you enjoy these episodes as much as I did.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but the latest episode, "The Gauntlet" was awesome! The best one of the series so far.

This episode managed to do so many things in such a short period of time. First, there were three awesome fights with the Krang, Shredder, and Shredder's goons. Second, they revealed part of why the Krang were in NYC. Third, it provided us with the origin of Dogpound and Fishface and, finally, the turtles were not victorious in the end. It was a dark ending and reminded me a bit of The Empire Strikes Back.

I can't wait until the next episode!