Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PACIFIC RIM Thread

PACIFIC RIM Thread

I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Anyone interested in this film? Directed by Guillermo del Toro. Here's the synopsis:

When an alien attack threatens the Earth's existence, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to fight off the menace.

Even though it says alien attack, they’re more monsters from an alternate reality, I think. Or something like that. But they’re not aliens from outer space.

This picture was released in the week. I think it gives off a very retro vibe, almost looking like something pulled straight from a 80s cartoon: http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/201...acific-Rim.jpg

Today, a poster was released. If you want a sense of the scale of these things look at the shoulder. The monsters must be huge. I'm really looking forward to this film. Hollywood hasn't really given us a giant robots vs. giant monsters film before. It comes out next July. I think this is one to watch out for: http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-conte...ch1.jpg?d58414

There's going to be a panel at SDCC. Hopefully some footage and pictures will be shown.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm interested, but the plot synopsis parallels the anime Gunbuster, which I've grown up with. So, I'm not thinking that this story is going to be anything groundbreaking

Here's a more thorough synopsis write up, courtesy of Badass Digest (that first word will probably be bleeped out on these boards):

From acclaimed filmmaker Guillermo del Toro comes Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ epic sci-fi action adventure “Pacific Rim.”

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
    Oscar® nominee Guillermo del Toro (“Pan’s Labyrinth”) is directing “Pacific Rim” from a script by Travis Beacham (“Clash of the Titans”). Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Mary Parent are producing, with Callum Greene serving as executive producer.

The film stars Charlie Hunnam (TV’s “Sons of Anarchy”), Idris Elba (“Thor”), Rinko Kikuchi (“The Brothers Bloom”), Charlie Day (“Horrible Bosses”), and Ron Perlman (the “Hellboy” films). The ensemble cast also includes Max Martini, Robert Kazinsky, Clifton Collins, Jr., Burn Gorman, Larry Joe Campbell, Diego Klattenhoff, and Brad William Henke.
    Last edited by The.Idea.of.Evil; July 7, 2012 at 10:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I'm interested, but the plot synopsis parallels the anime Gunbuster, which I've grown up with. So, I'm not thinking that this story is going to be anything groundbreaking
    I don't think the story is going to set the world alight, I do agree with that. Two things have me interested, though, and they are Guillermo del Toro and the potential visuals. We all know that Guillermo del Toro loves his monsters and I have no doubt that this film will be quite special on that front. It’s also got robots, which we know have gone down quite well recently at the cinema. I really think this has the potential to be something quite spectacular.

I'm kind of hoping it performs really well, because then it will increase the likelihood of a Voltron film.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 7, 2012 at 10:54pm.

I almost started a thread on this today! I'm there for a del Toro film just to see what he does with it. But the concept does sound cool. I think he could put a nice spin on it. Like what we've seen so far of the design.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I've been following Pac Rim for a good while now, since last summer at least. Super robots battling dai kaiju - I was sold on the movie from the get-go.

Legendary is also going to have some more news on the Godzilla movie they've been working on.

Wait - there's a new Godzilla movie? Off to Google!

Re: Pacific Rim - I can't wait for this.

Have you seen the new teaser ad Jaegers blueprints? Movie looks colossal. I hope this movie is for Del Toro what E.T. has been for Spielberg or Star Wars for Lucas or the LOTR for Jackson.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Blueprints

These are the blueprints for four of the robots, or Jaegers. I like that they've each got unique looks. I think there're more to be revealed:

It's a shame that only Gipsy Danger's "blue prints" are large enough to appreciate the detail -- hopefully the others will show up at higher resolutions later.

Video clips promoting the movie have started turning up as well.

First very brief look at a daikaiju:

And here's a test of the Kaiju Emergency Alert system:

Oh, nearly forgot. The official website went live earlier this month also: http://www.panpacificdefense.com/
    Not much there just yet, but it seems there will be another release of something in about 2 weeks -- I'm guessing the trailer since it's supposed to run with THE HOBBIT.

Giant robots? I'm in. What is this, the first movie to hit theaters with real giant robots since Robot Jox? I'm probably mistaken, but I know it's been a LONG time since anyone has tried this. OH I hope it works! I so want to see mechs make a comeback.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Another One

Interesting, another curious detail. From what we've been told so far the Jaeger's all require two pilots; however Coyote Tango only shows one pilot and Crimson Typhoon shows three pilots. I wonder what the story is behind these two Jaegers apparently having something other than two pilots.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait for this one.

So were are the blue prints for the robot on the posters for the movie?

I can't wait to see what the Kaiju look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I can't wait for this one.

So were are the blue prints for the robot on the posters for the movie?

I can't wait to see what the Kaiju look like.
    I think it's the first one, Gypsy Danger
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

First Trailer!!!

All I have to say is where's my Volton film?!

Frustratingly I can’t seem to find a good quality trailer on YouTube. So I highly recommend watching it on this site in whatever resolution your computer can handle: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/pacificrim/
    Last edited by Krueger; December 12, 2012 at 10:38pm.

giant robots that don't have to look like a bunch of shards stuck together, who woulda thunk it?

looks like fun!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome!

This is going to be good. Hopefully these giant robots will pave the way for a Macross or Gundam live action movie.

WOW! Looks amazing. I didn't thought that was going to be so rainy all the time; don't know why I thought that it was going to be a more Evangelion kind of sunny day battle. Although, all the other elements are there

My feedback thread

THIS LOOKS AWESOME

Must see
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

So excited about this. Hope the story is good.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

That's so funny - I got a bunch of promo buttons from SDCC this year for Pacific Rim. I had no idea what it was until I stumbled across this thread.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I have to say, I'm not all that thrilled with the trailer. I never heard of the movie before, but it looks to be nothing more than a rip-off of Transformers and Real Steel (which was already bad enough) with organic monsters thrown into it.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

It looks like a great summer flick but I expect more from Del Toro.

This looks like something Michael Bay would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It looks like a great summer flick but I expect more from Del Toro.

This looks like something Michael Bay would do.
    I hate to say it but thats what I though.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26