Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PACIFIC RIM Thread

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I really hope it does well, I think it looks fantastic. TF ripoff is a stupid criticism imo because firstly these robots look nice and clean, they don't have confusing overly designed bodies and each one has a unique personality in their build. but the general public isn't well known for being very bright lol i hope to see it this weekend, this is def a big screen imax affair.
    People really have gotten stupid over the last generation or two. Like you mentioned, at least all the robots in this are distinguishable from each other and look like robots. Bayformers was a horrid mess, and it's sad to think they're letting Bay direct a 4th film, considering how crappy the last two were.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

ya when I see the trailers and posters and other stuff for this I NEVER think Transformers.

Instead I think

and personally I can't wait.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    I can honestly say I can't think of an anime series I disliked more then Evangelion.

When I see previews of this I think of Godzilla(and other Toho Kaiju movies), old school mech anime from the 80's, and a little bit of HP Lovecraft.

Tonight, we're yelling LOUDER than the Apocalypse!

Ah, Pacific Rim. The long and short of it—I enjoyed it, but I can't help but feel disappointed. You can't say it didn't give you what it said on the tin. It said it'd be a loud, noisy movie with robots fighting monsters. And that's what it is. But with Del Toro's name attached I was hoping for a story that didn't feel quite so... adequate. There's no denying it is a blast to see the huge robots duking it out with the Kaiju. It does suffer from the motion-sickness-inducing camera movements that sometimes plagues action movies. There are so many "messy" effects (some feel almost random) of different energy blasts and water and debris that combined with the camera movements, it is almost hard to tell what's going on at times. A little of this goes a long way. And I'd say there's a tad too much. But it's not ever as bad as the Transformers movies at their worst.

It's not a solemn affair. There are some quirkier bits, but some of it falls flat. Gottlieb and Geiszler are probably going to be pretty divisive. Some will probably love their hijinks. Some will find them shrill and off-putting. I think I fall somewhere in the middle. At times they could be amusing, but when Charlie Day as Geiszler got really screechy, and Burn Gorman pushed it a little too far over the top... there were times I wanted them off the screen.

Not to sound like an old man, but the noise is relentless. I saw it in IMAX. So maybe it was worse than a typical theater. But the score is incredibly bombastic (in a nice way, actually), and your bones rattled when the Jaegers moved (in a nice way, mostly) and people are screaming their lines excitedly a lot of the time. Put it all together, and there were times I was praying for just a moment to breathe. You do get a few of them.

But... again, I just felt like I expected a bit more from Del Toro. There's a beautiful flashback sequence involving a little red shoe. It's a great moment, and I feel like the movie needed more of those. It felt so weirdly personal in such a big movie. And it felt unique. Too much of this movie felt too familiar. Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi were a great pair as the central team. Hunnam is incredibly likable and brought a real soul to the part, but they are stuck in a story that doesn't really give them anything new to do. You can see how pretty much every character's arc will resolve from a mile away.

Is it a bad movie? Not at all. It's big and fun and noisy. I don't regret seeing it at all. But, I don't know that there's enough story to hold up to repeat viewings, and this is the first Del Toro film I can say that about.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

The wife and I loved it, awesome Summer Blockbuster at it's best. And light years better than anything Michael Bay could ever have accomplished with his tiny Bayformers robots. The two scientists, like Jon mentioned may become a love/hate relationship for many viewers, but they added some good funny bits to the movie. The little girl scene will tear your heart out, unless you haven't got one.

Now if they would just get a move on with a Robotech movie, I'd be happy

A portal opens up at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, releasing Kaijus, which are giant Godzilla type monsters. When this first happened, the military intervened and won. But it took nearly a week to kill just one and the destruction and deaths continued daily. It wasn't enough, so the world united all their resources and created the Jaegar Program, the giant robots piloted by two people melding their minds together when synced with the machines. Each country developed their own. However, the monsters keep evolving and getting more powerful and the Jaegars are no longer enough, so the apocalypse is coming unless something can be done to stop the Kaijus.

I really liked it, but didn't love it. I loved parts of it, mainly the ideas. Del Toro is a visual director, a fantastic one and this movie looks fantastic, like nothing you normally ever see. The colors, monsters, the universe, it has Del Toro written all over it if you've seen both Hellboy films and Pan's Labyrinth. I think it's very Hellboyish actually, especially with the scenes with the research department.

The fights between the monsters and robots look spectacular. The impact of two giants colliding should be exactly like this. They're basically taking turns throwing monumental haymakers, none of the choppy and super fast Transformers fights. However, this wore on me because I wish the fights were better choreographed as the movie went on. Specifically, I wanted the robots to pull out some bad ass combinations on the monsters. There's some of that in there, but I feel it gets forgotten about and the monsters all become the same pile of mush over and over. That's really my beef with the movie. I wanted more engaging fight scenes and different surroundings, some in the city, some under water, some on a power plant, but it's mostly water. If you've seen one, you've seen them all.

The cast is a mixed bag. Idris Elba is freakin amazing. He brings everything he possibly can to this movie. He should have been the lead. Ron Pearlman, fantastic, but a very small role. Charlie Hunum as the lead, well he's about as good as he is on Sons of Anarchy, which doesn't really work in this movie since he's supposed to be "the one" if you will. He's not bad, but you won't be thinking about his character, unlike Idris Elba, the next day. The female lead is probably somewhere between Elba and Pearlman. Really interesting character. Charlie Day is in this and he's Charlie Day's personality on steroids. A little out of place, but I liked him.

I don't know, I guess this is exactly what I'd expect from the director of both Hellboy pictures. I felt the same way about those. Great ideas, starts off amazing, not so amazing by the end, but I enjoyed most of it not to be unsatisfied. I think Pan's Labyrinth is his best work. See this if you're a fan of his Hellboy stuff. Really wish he got to do The Hobbit.

The 3D is actually worth it. It's a visual film and most of it is very striking. This is one of those movies you might not appreciate at home or on your laptop. You'll need the big screen and even the 3D. It's a treat for the eyes.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Looks all right to me, but then I enjoyed most of the Michael Bay movies that I have seen so there's that. I loved the Hellboy films, so I think I just might give this a shot if I can scrape the bucks together.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; July 12, 2013 at 07:51am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Sister Edith is in the hospital this week. She is having trouble sleeping and has requested tapes of Pastor Dave's sermons..."

After sleeping on it, I think I would have preferred if they cut 30 minutes off the movie. It dragged for me in the last quarter, but I was totally fired up the first hour to 90 minutes.

From a logical stand point, the movies make total sense. Why do they need two pilots, why didn't the Kaijus take over before the Jaeger program, why don't they just close the damn portal. All simple explanations.

Heroic Warrior
    I just saw the movie not to long ago and I love it, I hope they make enough money to get a sequel.

Saw it, loved it! Micheal Bay needs to sit down and take notes because THIS is how you film a movie with gigantic robots but yet keep each robot with personality and allow the viewer to see what is going on with ease. Not the mess Bay makes with his ugly TF bots and so much action that is hard to see.

The story was really well done. I was sad to see some of the cooler characters die so quickly,

the Russians and their mech

In a movie with Big robots and Kaiju I had to laugh at the United Nations idea

that a stupid ass WALL was going to be better than the Jaegar program
    . I turned to my wife and told her I can totally see that happening for a real because governments are idiots
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents; I loved PACIFIC RIM and think it's an all around great movie. I'm hoping for a sequel despite the not so hot US box office.

The movie still hasn't opened in Japan yet (though the premier appears to have happened yesterday) nor in China. China could be a big market if the box office take of the last Transformers movie is anything to go by. And I'm rather hopeful of PR doing will in Japan as some big names connected to mecha in general and super robots specifcally have praised the film-- Hideo Kojima (creator of the Metal Gear games) got to see the movie and tweeted about the film on July 5th, here are his 8 tweets

HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN 5 Jul -- Dear twitter friends, The followings are my comment regarding "Pacific Rim". Luckily I was allowed to tweet in public by WB.

-- I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life.

-- The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey" and...

-- and when I had touched the dinosaur in "Jurassic Park". Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days -

-- they all truly exist in the screen. Director Guillermo del Toro offers this spectacular vision of massive kaijus and robots in PACIFIC RIM.

-- This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies.

-- Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?

-- I hope you would accept this inspirational love letter that had traveled across the Pacific, written by Director Guillermo del Toro.

Go Nagai seems equally thrilled; if you don't already know, this is the guy who first introduced the concept of super robots being piloted from an internal cockpit with his manga Mazinger Z. Nagai said this about Pacific Rim - "I was overwhelmed by the intense kaijū vs. giant robot action. It was fun!"

Its doing very well overseas, it has not opened in China, Brazil or Japan (3 super large markets) and is already at $140m. It should close around $300m WW at the least, maybe more if it takes off in China and Japan.

The NECA Series 1 toys are going for ridiculous amounts on eBay ($45-60 for a Gipsy Danger) and they have announced a 2nd and 3rd series of figures due to the success. Yesterday it was announced more comics were coming, the next comic will focus on Tacit Ronin, the JP Jaegar

The licensing and home video is going to more than make up for the box office, so I have high hopes for a lower budget sequel.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Pleasantly surprised with this one. I'm a big Godzilla/Gamera/Ultraman fan so I wasn't expecting to like it as much.

The human drama was flat but they got everything else right and that's whats most important with this kind of movie. The fights were full of little love notes to anime/kaiju fans.

See it on the big screen! It's worth it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

China (and licensing from NECA and Sideshow) has cancelled the Apocalypse

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/paci...sequel-likely/

Good, it was awesome

Master of New Adventures!
    The $2.6 Billion in worldwide box office revenues the films have generated -- we won't even talk about toy/product/merchandise revenues directly related to the films -- may factor into the decision to let him direct the fourth film. I get the criticism and I feel your pain. But the fact is that he is the eighth highest grossing director in the history of Hollywood...and studios love high grossing directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    People really have gotten stupid over the last generation or two. Like you mentioned, at least all the robots in this are distinguishable from each other and look like robots. Bayformers was a horrid mess, and it's sad to think they're letting Bay direct a 4th film, considering how crappy the last two were.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 31, 2013 at 11:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    The $2.6 Billion in worldwide box office revenues the films have generated -- we won't even talk about toy/product/merchandise revenues directly related to the films -- may factor into the decision to let him direct the fourth film. I get the criticism and I feel your pain. But the fact is that he is the eighth highest grossing director in the history of Hollywood...and studios love high grossing directors.
    What's worse, is it looks like it's going to simply be more of the same crap. They can't even seem to make up their mind at what Bumblebee is going to be, a '67 Camaro or the new Z28 Camaro Concept. Save us from hack directors.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...ws01/130529758

But again, I personally glad Del Toro will be able to get his Pacific Rim sequel, though I'm not sure how it'll go from how the first one ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    What's worse, is it looks like it's going to simply be more of the same crap. They can't even seem to make up their mind at what Bumblebee is going to be, a '67 Camaro or the new Z28 Camaro Concept. Save us from hack directors.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...ws01/130529758

But again, I personally glad Del Toro will be able to get his Pacific Rim sequel, though I'm not sure how it'll go from how the first one ended.
    The only part he will have to figure out is the Breach issue, but the key point in a sequel will be the fact that the one dude drifted with a Kaiju, all their info came to us and all our info went to them.

So expect Mecha Kaiju in a sequel

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    The only part he will have to figure out is the Breach issue, but the key point in a sequel will be the fact that the one dude drifted with a Kaiju, all their info came to us and all our info went to them.

So expect Mecha Kaiju in a sequel
    MECHA GODZILLA!! Anyway, the novelization of the movie does a great job of filling in more of the picture.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Saw this on the weekend loved it. Anyone notice the lack of Doug Jones in this? He's usually in Del Toro's films.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Michael Bay will "sit down and take notes" when audiences start staying away in droves and his films stop breaking all weekend release box office records and grossing less than three quarters of a billion to in excess of a billion dollars each. Until then I don't think he particularly cares. Not saying that makes it right. Just stating what seems to be the obvious.

Saw it, loved it! Micheal Bay needs to sit down and take notes because THIS is how you film a movie with gigantic robots but yet keep each robot with personality and allow the viewer to see what is going on with ease. Not the mess Bay makes with his ugly TF bots and so much action that is hard to see.

The story was really well done. I was sad to see some of the cooler characters die so quickly,

In a movie with Big robots and Kaiju I had to laugh at the United Nations idea . I turned to my wife and told her I can totally see that happening for a real because governments are idiots
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 1, 2013 at 02:54pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Michael Bay will "sit down and take notes" when audiences start staying away in droves and his films stop breaking all weekend release box office records and grossing less than three quarters of a billion to in excess of a billion dollars each. Until then I don't think he particularly cares. Not saying that makes it right. Just stating what seems to be the obvious.
    Oh I know he does not care, that much is evident by his film making. Does not mean its good

As we all know too well making a ton of money is not always the same as making a good product, look at Grown Ups 2. Almost universally despised by critics and regular people but good lord did a TON of people go see it

As is frequently the case, Mark, we are on precisely the same page.

Oh I know he does not care, that much is evident by his film making. Does not mean its good

As we all know too well making a ton of money is not always the same as making a good product, look at Grown Ups 2. Almost universally despised by critics and regular people but good lord did a TON of people go see it

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Grown Ups 2 proves that people have no taste in films.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    I read that they are planning on moving forward with a sequel thanks to a strong showing in China. China is bailing out America yet again