Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Oct 2012: DC Comics - MOTU: The Origin of Skeletor #1

It was ok ~ Hordak was monstrous which was cool but a little over the top. All in all it was just kinda eh IMO. I hope the mini comic is better next year!

After careful, scientific analysis of this thread, I've come to the conclusion that if you don't like this comic, you are devoid of good taste.

I'm sorry, but there is no cure.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Wow, thanks for telling us.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

That's ok. You can still enjoy life! (sort of). And I will try hard not to pity you.

Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Being a better than that, I will not tell you that you don't have good taste for liking the comic.

How dare you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority of people who didn't care for this issue. I don't like the "Keldor was Miro's first born" story at all. If they had portrayed it like Loki and Odin, which is the way I've always seen it, then that I could sink my teeth into. But him being a Gar(or Half Gar, I guess) and being a true Prince/General...yeah no thanks. Did we even find out what happened to his face? And Hordak was just beyond weird...total buyer regret here.
    I guess I'm in the minority, too. Worst issue so far. Sure, I liked the brotherly interaction between Keldor and Randor, and the first-born-but-not-pure spin shows an interesting dynamic and motivation to Skeletor's character, so it wasn't all bad. But Hordak? I did not care for that design at all, though I'm willing to overlook it to an extent because it's like they are trying to present him as a creature from another dimension.

But what I cannot overlook is "rise, my apprentice." Palpatine says what? Nothing is worse than an uninspired ending to a book that makes me roll my eyes and toss the book aside. What a crock of sith.

Well, the Keldor Motuc packaging does say:

Keldor™ Figure

Masters of the UniverseŽ Classics
    Apprentice of Hordak™

And Skeletor apprentice art was in Tomarts magazine waaaaaay before Starwars 3:

So Hordak's a Xenomorph and his goons look like the Engineers?
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I enjoyed it alot more than the ongoing series but it didn't amaze me. All the DC MOTU comics seem so short, just as it gets going it's over! Same with the mini-comics but I can understand it with those as they are mini comics lol.

I was really looking forward to this issue, origin stories are usually my favourite however this was not an origin story, we didn't really find out anything it was more like a prologue.
    We didn't find out how this face was burnt, how be betrayed the kingdom, anything about the war he started, IMO itreally needed to be more issues instead of a one shot.
    I wasn't keen on the art style or the partly coloured flash back/vision panels (I didn't like the use of partly coloured panels in the Evil Lyn issue either).
    And what on Eterina was the blue cord going from his neck, though the portal into Hordak's neck
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

A big fan of Slush Head
    I hate them, I seriously don't like these comics at all.
    I know they are trying "new" things, new doesn't necesarily mean good.
    These comics don't feel like MOTU at all, they feel like generic dark comics.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I was really looking forward to this issue, origin stories are usually my favourite however this was not an origin story, we didn't really find out anything it was more like a prologue.
    We didn't find out how this face was burnt, how be betrayed the kingdom, anything about the war he started, IMO itreally needed to be more issues instead of a one shot.
    I think there's more to come, at least according to this interview with the writer. I don't know if this has been posted. Here's the link: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...-book/1668709/

Here's the interesting quote:

Fialkov's not done with Skeletor, either. His story continues in a He-Man origin one-shot in January that shows how Prince Adam is bestowed a mystical sword and the power of Grayskull to become He-Man.
    So it appears that there will be more to this in the He-Man origin.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I hate them, I seriously don't like these comics at all.
    I know they are trying "new" things, new doesn't necesarily mean good.
    These comics don't feel like MOTU at all, they feel like generic dark comics.
    100% agree.

This newest issue (Origin of Skeletor) really shows how sucky this series has been. It asks more questions than answers. The plot is terrible, the dialogue is nauseating, and it doesn't feel like MOTU at ALL. FAIL. To the max.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

I really enjoyed this issue. It repeats a lot of what we already knew events-wise, but I like the bit of exploration of Keldor and Randor's relationship- it's the most we've gotten in that area. In MYP, they were already enemies from the get-go with no backstory, really. So I thought those parts were really cool. I like the art, and can handle Hordak having a completely different look from what we're used to. These comics aren't the be-all and end-all... it's just the current creators' interpretations of characters we've known for years. I find it interesting and refreshing.

I really didn't have any issues with this comic. Loved the art (including how he handled/differentiated the flashbacks), and while the story left some questions to be answered later, I thought it told a complete, satisfying tale. I don't need (or even want) all the answers at once. It told me everything I needed for right now, but left enough that they can go back to the well to flesh things out more.

Who burned off his face? Doesn't matter right now. Its a story for a later time. All that was important to this tale was that it happened.

Hordak's look? We know he can shape change and he may or may not have (I'm not sure in THIS continuity) had his original body destroyed and replaced with a robotic one. In either case, this could just be his original form.

I thought it was a very good book. On the other hand, I've hated all 3 issues of the main series and I've ranged from apathy to meh, to OK, that was cute (the Orko book) on the digital shorts.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I just bought the new iPad 4 and read it again.

Sucks even worse with Retina display. The "fail" really comes through in HD...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Sucks even worse with Retina display. The "fail" really comes through in HD...

Evil Lord of Lies.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Evil Lord of Lies.

To each his own...I just can't bear poorly-rendered garbage.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I read it and I felt it was down right dreadful. I would rather read Harry Potter getting it on with Malfoy fanfiction before I ever read this comic again. The artwork was awful, the narrative was horribly written, the dialog was bland, and it did not make a lick of sense.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Who burned off his face? Doesn't matter right now. Its a story for a later time. All that was important to this tale was that it happened.
    If I was a reader unfamiliar with MotU, I would've wanted to know more. The comic's name is "The Origin of Skeletor", and at that it's not giving me the full story I would expect from such an issue.

I won't even get started on how they changed Keldor from a charismatic "by all means necessary" man into a jealous wuss.

I actually don't mind this look, since Hordak and his Horde are trapped in Despondos. His physical body was destroyed in the battle against King Grayskull, before his spirit was sucked into the void. I view this as being the spirit/demon of Hordak.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I won't even get started on how they changed Keldor from a charismatic "by all means necessary" man into a jealous wuss.
    See, I think the jealous wuss is actually more right on the money than what he was before. I think it suits the character of Skeletor more for starters and it immediately makes him more interesting, IMO. I mean, it’s not original, as there are many characters like that in the worlds of literature and film, but they usually make for strong villains.

That's a fair criticism. It'd be interesting to have seen how Keldor's nobility turned to resentment. Though it seems to be implied that the continual injustice directed towards him wore him down, plus it is clear that Hordak encouraged and justified Keldor's anger and resentment.

Really though, this means that the main problem is that this awesome comic was too short

If I was a reader unfamiliar with MotU, I would've wanted to know more. The comic's name is "The Origin of Skeletor", and at that it's not giving me the full story I would expect from such an issue.

Yeah I prefer Keldor as a strong, charismatic character as well.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26