Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Oct 2012: DC Comics - MOTU: The Origin of Skeletor #1

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I thought he looked like one of the Gremlins.
    EXACTLY what I thought when i first saw him!!
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I hate them, I seriously don't like these comics at all.
    I know they are trying "new" things, new doesn't necesarily mean good.
    These comics don't feel like MOTU at all, they feel like generic dark comics.
    Agree. 100% with you. They just don't have the same feel. I will still get them, and still read them because of my love for the characters, but the art in this one, just doesn't seem up to par.

Pretty forgettable. But then again, all the DC ones have been so far...
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Pretty forgettable. But then again, all the DC ones have been so far...
    Yes they have been in my opinion too. let's hope we start seeing the payoff soon.....

I haven't read this or any of the other DC ones yet. I own them, I'm just not into the long wait between issues, so I'm saving them. I have to say the fanbase seems pretty split. So I'll approach them with cautious optimism... or laxed pessimism. If nothing else they'll make good display backdrops.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    I haven't read this or any of the other DC ones yet. I own them, I'm just not into the long wait between issues, so I'm saving them. I have to say the fanbase seems pretty split. So I'll approach them with cautious optimism... or laxed pessimism. If nothing else they'll make good display backdrops.
    They aren't a bad read, but comic books are just so short on pages these days, and with the month lag, just too little too little often.....

Not a bad issue, but in terms of story it was all fluff. Not much really happened, it felt like it was all concept and no story. At no point did it ever try to really get into the story, I felt it just glossed over some ideas. Some nice ideas though, but like I say nothing was ever developed. Is this an ongoing book?

Also, the art in general I liked. The art was of good quality, but I wasn't too keen on some of the design choices though. Keldor's princely garb looked like a random Shakespeare am-dram throw off, I think more effort should have went into the design of that one. I also don't like Hordak's new look. I hope that's not his look for the entire run of this new comic. It looks like someone threw Hordak at H.R. Giger concept to see what would happen for the fun of it. He barely looks anything like Hordak should.

However, I did love that end shot of Skeletor, especially in that art style. That's a good, subtle update of Skeletor. No silly out of place token piece of scale-mail hanging from from his chest like a bizarre scale-mail handkerchief that's got loose (really, what is up with the strange placement of obviously useless scale-mail on the characters in these comics?).

So in short. Good, but a mixed bag. Could be better (much like the main comics so far).
    Last edited by Masamune; November 12, 2012 at 08:28am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

It was terrible:
    60 panels of "where's Randor?"
    Multiple pencilled black and white panels that looked like a sketchbook

The only redeeming feature was the monstrous Hordak, which was cool and elevates him to the appropriate level of inter-dimensional bad dude.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    It was terrible:
    60 panels of "where's Randor?"
    Multiple pencilled black and white panels that looked like a sketchbook

The only redeeming feature was the monstrous Hordak, which was cool and elevates him to the appropriate level of inter-dimensional bad dude.
    Spitfire, I have noted before how the art looked amatuerish.......your post is exactly the wording I was looking for. It does indeed look like sketchbook art. Perfect description.

Heroic Warrior
    Coming in at 133 overall with 18,420 orders

http://icv2.com/articles/news/24377.html

Snappy Threader
    Ouch! Unfortunately that isn't a good sign......

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Ouch! Unfortunately that isn't a good sign......
    Not a good sign at all but not a surprising one either. These comics lose more fans than what they gain.
    The more issues they put out, the more readers they lose.

We buy them because we support MOTU but these comics suck and we know that.
    Most of us question ourselves if we should keep buying these things.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

I gotta disagree. 133 of 300 with ZERO advertisements. In this day and age, selling around 20,000 books is not that bad. Those big selling books on the list are all EVENT related or are billion dollar franchises. Look at the books it outsold: Spawn, LoSH, Stormwatch, Invincible, Transformers, GI Joe and TMNT. And I don't think the books are bad at all. A lot of the artwork is suspect, sure, but the overall stories are decent, though definitely not your father's MOTU.

A big fan of Slush Head
    The position is not what is bad, what is bad is that it keeps dropping, and that's what comes as no surprise. The numbers are there because MOTU has a strong fan base that follows and supports it no matter what, as shown with MOTUC so far but even us question if they are worth buying. Even here you can read how many are dropping the title just because the reads aren't that interesting or relevant to MOTU and we are the strong fan base. These things feel like "else worlds" or generic/obscure comics, they are nothing special that could attract more readers or make them become interested in them .
    For how long will they be able to stay in those charts without gaining more readers and only losing them?

That's what happens with lame comics who don't put anything special or interesting on the table.

How do you expect to gain new readers if you don't have something different or special to attract them?
    These MOTU comics feel like any other cheap comic out there.

If I weren't a MOTU fan, why would I buy these? That's the question.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Mike, I disagree with you completely, in reference to these comics being uninteresting or not relevant to MOTU. If they're not relevant to you because they don't rehash FILMation stories, I don't know what to tell you. I personally like the story so far, and am willing to give it time to spread its wings. Unfortunately, it may not have the time. The sad truth is you really need at least a year's worth of books to truly establish trends, and we're probably not going to get a year's worth of books. Is that because they are terrible? Maybe. If the majority of readers think these books stink, then DC will react accordingly. Heck, they pulled Robinson after one issue.
    Last edited by Nick Jones; November 13, 2012 at 12:04pm. Reason: Deleted rambling crap that was off topic.

that are the numbers in the printed format, they also have been digitally edited and worked well.

overall DC comics worked well.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrock323 View Post
    Mike, I disagree with you completely, in reference to these comics being uninteresting or not relevant to MOTU. If they're not relevant to you because they don't rehash FILMation stories, I don't know what to tell you. I personally like the story so far, and am willing to give it time to spread its wings. Unfortunately, it may not have the time. The sad truth is you really need at least a year's worth of books to truly establish trends, and we're probably not going to get a year's worth of books. Is that because they are terrible? Maybe. If the majority of readers think these books stink, then DC will react accordingly. Heck, they pulled Robinson after one issue.
    You REALLY think this is good art & storytelling?
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    You REALLY think this is good art & storytelling?
    Not what I said. I said I like the story. In my first reply to Mike, I specifically said that I thought a lot of the art was suspect. The writing is harder to judge right now, because, like most comics these days, it's being written for the trade. Even this "one-shot" was written with the intent of it being followed up by other "Origin" books. Look, it's not GREAT. But it doesn't have to be great for me to like it.

I finally got around to getting this. I'll probably be reading this and MOTU #3 later tonight.

Took a while to get out to my LCS to pick up the issue they were holding for me.

This is my first (modern) DC MOTU Comic.

It was terrible. It will also be my last (Modern) DC MOTU Comic.

The story was a fragment at best; there was no begining, middle, or end. It was more akin to reading the middle of a chapter in the middle of a book and that being the entire story. Then on top of that, there was so much that was unnecessary, key among those is the interlude with Death. While it was clearly evocative and perhaps an homage to The Seventh Seal, it was also completely out of place and teasing only to the idea of a better story that could've been told in this very short fragments place. Every flashback was virtually a complete disconnect; the Hordesman attack was random and served no part in the larger story, same as Deaths appearance. The creation of Skeletor made no sense and we get no motivations for Hordaks actions. It was disapointing in almost every aspect.

The art was a mixed bag. I liked Keldors clothes (again, it very much reminded me of the Knights clothing from The Seventh Seal and the backgrounds at times, along with some of the shading, but the design for Hordak in his H.R. Giger form was severely out of place, the weird tenticle/earbud line from Keldors neck to the portal was jarring and unexplained, and there were several images that weren't very well done, especially the big reveal of Skeletor.

I also fault DC for making this a one-shot. The origin tale should be a multi-part story, building the layers of development and motivation to lead to the ultimate change in identity.

Overall I can't believe that they managed to botch this story so badly. This was going to be my litmus for these new comics and they have almost spectacularly failed to do anything other than to get me to sigh and move on.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

It was garbage
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

master of hiphop
    it's Motu... i read it.. and i'm not a comic guy at all.. i own only Motu comics.. but to be honest it could have had one page with Skellly saying.. "BAM!!!!! I've changed" The End i would buy it.. i'm a motu addict and can't help it.. it's too bad most have these feelings about it being so terrible but i look at it this way.. the more venues and avenues we get to expose MOTU the better!! so bring it on.. bring em all on
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

I just read it and I actually enjoyed most of it. The art was decent and I don't like that style a lot but thought it was done in a proper manner. I really liked the Horde members for some reason. I like the blank look for them as if Hordak just mind wiped them and shaved em down to lose their identities. I really can't wait to see more of Hordak but I hope he looks more familiar soon. Also, the different direction is ok with me.

I don't know what the writers are trying to achieve here, whatever it is, it's not really working. Go back and do adventurous and battle related stories instead of clinging on Batman's dark universe...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

How am I just hearing about this?!

Buying now!

Origins of Eternia? Bring on more comics!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app