Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct 2012: DC Comics - MOTU: The Origin of Skeletor #1

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Seeing him running around with a bare skull BEFORE he's transformed felt highly unrealistic.
    Keldor was obviously already a mage of some sort. Plus it is implied the transformation is a process, not a sudden change. This is why we see him on a previous occasion defeating death & why Hordak speaks on another occasion of his "ascension".

Randor's blood is the final component to Keldor's change.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

What does mean not motu? What is the motu dogma?
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I thought this was not until next year. Oh well, I've dropped the regular comic, so I really do not care about this.
    This was DC's version of Skeltors origin. The MOTUC mini comic is still coming with King He-Man, but it will be a very different origin.

I thought this comic was terrible! The story was vague and chopped all to Despondos. I feel the writer had no real understanding of what an origin is. An origin explains things. Gives you the back story of a character. Why they are the way they are and why they do the things they do. Yes Keldor was jealous of Randor. But what else? What turned him to the dark arts? How did he find out about Hordak and how did he learn to communicate with him? What was that blue Avatar like cord connecting him to the portal? What started the war? Why did he need Randors blood if they share the same blood? This story was a mess. The best thing I can say about it is that I liked the art.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Another effort-free "effort" from DC.

I long for the days when the property was handled by creative talent that had passion for the mythos...not just a writer and artist collecting a paycheck who are determined to "make their mark" on the property.

Not good at all.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Keldor was obviously already a mage of some sort. Plus it is implied the transformation is a process, not a sudden change. This is why we see him on a previous occasion defeating death & why Hordak speaks on another occasion of his "ascension".

Randor's blood is the final component to Keldor's change.
    As far as the deal between Hordak and Keldor. Cause it seemed like Hordak had other plans for the knife, it just seemed like the final trading component Keldor had to surrender in order to close the deal. The images don't really show him using the blood for the transformation rather as he is just holding it as a trophy. (Which is a very cool idea thrown in...)

If I would take anything from this (as I usually do to create my own theories) I would say that Hordak uses that blood for something far more sinister and devious that we have yet to see... (some ideas, ANTI-He-Man) anyone???

I don't think it's the BEST story for Keldor but it really had a few good ideas and has been better than everything DC has put out in regards to this current series of comics.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    What does mean not motu? What is the motu dogma?
    I wrote " no MOTU for me"... this is a personal feeling...

A big fan of Slush Head
    I really want to like these comics but I simply can't. They don't feel like MOTU and the more I read the more I hate.
    I want to give them a chance but I'm starting to question if I should continue buying them.

I don't like what DC is doing with MOTU.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post

I long for the days when the property was handled by creative talent that had passion for the mythos...not just a writer and artist collecting a paycheck who are determined to "make their mark" on the property.

Not good at all.
    This... When I read 200X comics, I still got the MOTU-vibe. Those comics had high quality artwork & stories. The DC stuff now is below average for my taste and is far away, from what I call MOTU... I enjoyed the new mini comics more...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I really want to like these comics but I simply can't. They don't feel like MOTU and the more I read the more I hate.
    I want to give them a chance but I'm starting to question if I should continue buying them.

I don't like what DC is doing with MOTU.
    I totally second this...

Snappy Threader

Not good at all.
    I agree Big Country, while I did enjoy the story, the effort just wasn't there, especially with some of the art. Just looked too amatuer in spots. I guess I can't really put my finger on it, though I do think I enjoyed it only becasue I love MOTU and this is as close as we are going to get at least for a while.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    What's up with Hordak? He looks like some HR Giger monster wannabe.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Well, Frazer Irving has his own signature style. You can say the same of an artist like Ben Templesmith.
    It is not the clean superhero style.

I would love a MOTU one shot by Simon Bisley

Well, if we're fantasizing about great artists that are never going to work on MOTU, give me Bernie Wrightson!
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I liked it. The dude that does I, Vampire teaming up with the dude that did The Shade? That's a win in my book.

Well, if we're fantasizing about great artists that are never going to work on MOTU, give me Bernie Wrightson!
    Plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    I liked it. The dude that does I, Vampire teaming up with the dude that did The Shade? That's a win in my book.
    Yeah, I just think fans didn't expect this for Motu.
    if I read the whole thread most liked it though, including me.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I agree Big Country, while I did enjoy the story, the effort just wasn't there, especially with some of the art. Just looked too amatuer in spots.
    I had preferred a unified style throughout the issue as well, but I wouldn't exactly call it amateurish. I'd say the art was more experimental if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    I would love a MOTU one shot by Simon Bisley
    I'd love to see a visceral Bisley take on Masters of the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Plus 1
    I'd be up for that one as well. His highly detailed, atmospheric pen-and-ink work is a joy to behold.

My personal favourite would have been the late Don Lawrence.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Not good at all.
    I am pretty sure most of the early work was mainly that, collecting paychecks. Working for a story to a toyline wasn't anyone's dream come true.

I really love old Alcala comics, but I am pretty sure they were just work for hire without specific artistic goals. But what you say does fit with Val & Emiliano's effort, as that was certainly with passion.

I downloaded the digital version on my iPhone, but Iím looking to pick up a physical copy when I visit my local comic store on the weekend.

I thought the art was questionable in places and certainly not what I would have expected (Hordak looked very peculiar) but overall I still found the style satisfying. Albeit offbeat. It was quite atmospheric.

I liked the dialogue between Randor and Keldor, I think it had a lot of depth.

In part, Iím just thrilled that MOTU is getting any sort of mainstream recognition that Iím happily drinking the Kool-Aid without complaint. New ideas and fresh interpretations arenít necessarily a bad thing though. Some people will like it, some wonít. Iím positive about the future personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    My personal favourite would have been the late Don Lawrence.
    Romano Molenaar is doing a great job with the new Storm series though honouring Dons style though.
    Romano has done some DC batman comics lately, right? I would LOVE him to do some Lawrence Style Motu!

End of the off-topic stuff

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    This is probably the last MOTU comic I pick up. There wasn't one thing about it that I liked. I loved the three part mini comics, those felt like MOTU. Sorry, but this DC stuff is just horrible. Just my two pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I downloaded the digital version on my iPhone, but I’m looking to pick up a physical copy when I visit my local comic store on the weekend.

I thought the art was questionable in places and certainly not what I would have expected (Hordak looked very peculiar) but overall I still found the style satisfying. Albeit offbeat. It was quite atmospheric.

I liked the dialogue between Randor and Keldor, I think it had a lot of depth.

In part, I’m just thrilled that MOTU is getting any sort of mainstream recognition that I’m happily drinking the Kool-Aid without complaint. New ideas and fresh interpretations aren’t necessarily a bad thing though. Some people will like it, some won’t. I’m positive about the future personally.
    You're going to pay for that thing TWICE???

You're going to pay for that thing TWICE???
    Iím a creature of habit, so usually buy two of everything. I have no idea where Iím going to put my second Castle Grayskull though.

Plus I donít feel I can truly judge the art by viewing it from my iPhone. So would prefer to hold the physical copy in my hands and fully absorb it the way a comic is intended.

Iíve been collecting the new DC releases so far and see no reason to stop just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    What's up with Hordak? He looks like some HR Giger monster wannabe.
    I thought he looked like one of the Gremlins.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN Ö INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

I dug the art and story structure in particular, though jamming the whole thing into 20 pages seems a bit rushed.
    The main series, though, is pretty janky.

Whatever happened to "staying on-model"?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Whatever happened to "staying on-model"?
    That's thrown out the window. These are the DC versions of the characters. Jon Chu's versions will probably look different from the toys too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar ē 200X Prince Adam ē 200X Sorceress ē Evilseed (MYP)