Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would He-Man have to look like today?

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    This is some concept art that Mattel did for a more armoured take on He-Man. These were done when the rights were at WB:

Attachment 78383

Attachment 78384

Attachment 78385
    Thank goodness the WB project didn't make it. Man-at-Arms, the Sorceress, Ram-Man... look fine, but that supposed "He-Man" looks nothing like He-Man.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Hmm...interesting.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...writer/ekp.jpg

not sure if it is my idea of the perfect He-Man movie look tho
    That.......is..........funny as hell! LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    He-Man needs to look like Adam,, and he needs to look like his twin sister,, and he should look like the king and queen.

..and if he doesnt look like the filmation He-Man ..I will never pay money to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Hmm...interesting.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...writer/ekp.jpg

not sure if it is my idea of the perfect He-Man movie look tho
    Zing!

This is some concept art that Mattel did for a more armoured take on He-Man. These were done when the rights were at WB:

Attachment 78383

Attachment 78384

Attachment 78385
    The third pic isn't bad. I like the re-design of the Sorceress except I would lose the feathers and put her in a full gown. Teela's look goes against the notion that female characters in the sword & sorcery/fantasy genre must wear skimpy outfits. Despite this I think her being fully clothed and wearing baggy pants actually looks good. Man at Arms sort of looks like Man at Arms if a bit bland compared to the original. Ram Man is good. I like the extra armor on the chest and it looks like they would've gone with the hulking build of the 200x version. Good call. He-Man is unrecognizeable. Fully armored, normal build. Might as well not call the guy He-Man. Interested to know who the armored female was. Evil Lyn?
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

^ I think the female in the bottom right corner is another shot at Teela. That whole page seems to be made up of good guys.

Hmmm if that's another version of Teela then I'd say the one in the upper left is the better choice.

BTW, do you have any more links to this stuff?
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    BTW, do you have any more links to this stuff?
    Nah, this is all there is sadly. It’s from that exclusive SDCC art book that Mattel released a few years ago.

EDIT: Have you seen the ones with the bad guys? They're in this thread if not: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-action-movie

Nah, this is all there is sadly. It’s from that exclusive SDCC art book that Mattel released a few years ago.

EDIT: Have you seen the ones with the bad guys? They're in this thread if not: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-action-movie
    Just saw them. Lot of misses with the redesigns.

I can't actually say I want much change in terms of He-Man's outfit from the 2002 show.

That was how I was introduced to the character, but there are a lot of things about the design I just love.

Heavily muscled? You got it.

Huge sword? Awesome, though I have trouble reconciling my favorite sword visually, from the 2000s show, with my favorite sword in concept, the split sword from the original minicomics.

Harness? Sure, though I always liked the 80's show's Coridite crystal more than his bronze-looking thing. Still prefer the symbol itself to the iron cross though.

Protective pouch on his loincloth? Very useful, and also for holding things.

My favorite part is actually the fact that his sword doesn't have a sheath so much as a shelf he kind of hangs it on. It's a subtle touch, but one that makes him seem all the more barbarian.

I think the costume's been done really well in cartoons, comics, fanart, etc. and previous attempts to modify it for a live action movie really hurt what they were going for. It's not important to update it as it is to make what's already there believable.

My biggest concern would be for an actor who can effectively convey the difference between Adam and He-Man. They're not the same person, not in personality, not in physicality, but they aren't different enough to be played by two separate actors unless they were identical twins.

He should be charismatic, heavily muscled and have long manes of blonde hair.
    No idea which actor would qualify for that. I would hate it if they decided to go with a jock like Channing Tatum. I like Chris Hemsworth but he isn't buff enough.

His costume should reflect the barbaric roots, but I don't need an exact copy of the toyline or cartoon harnass. I hope they keep the iron cross on the chestplate though, as it is very iconic to me. Whatever they do, they shouldn't start covering him up completely with armour because this generation of kids thinks He-Man looks to nude. Nebezial's tremendous art translates He-Man perfectly for use in a motion picture.

Heath Ledger would have made a fine prince Adam, yet for all I care they could leave Adam's persona out altogether.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I just thought of another idea on how they could portray the differences between Adam & He-Man - CGI. Think how it was used on Chris Evans in Captain America. Same actor but CGI was used to show the difference in build between pre-super soldier serum Steve Rogers and Cap.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..so why can't all the Masters of the Universe characters look like filmation??

oh, and,, I grew up with filmation, I know the cheese personaly.

Not everyone appreciates the cheese.

Beastmaster got it all right....

(and also from the early '80's....)

beastmaster.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here come Skeletor and the gang...

beastmaster2.jpg

Why not give Mike O'Hearn acting lessons and let his hair grow out while doing so. As far as a costume concept, I am a fan of the barbarian look and always have been. It'd be cool with me if they went the route of a King Greyskull look with the fur on the shoulders to make him look even larger and more imposing.
    Sure he'd have the sword of power, but that would be more of a means to transform as well as a symbol of status. He should have the big double bladed battle axe and his iron looking, heavy round shield for battle.

In my work,, He-Man wears the white fur of a PoAlar, for a time.

..(with an axe and bad breath he would look like the "king-greyskull-who-ever-that-is")

I vote Marcinko for Fisto...

marcinkofisto.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The only Teela I will ever love...

Biel1.jpgbiel2.jpgbiel3.jpgbiel4.jpg

I know there has been some discussion as to whether or not He-Man should have a secret identity (Filmation etc.) or not (as per the Mini-Comics) in any potential new live action film. My 4 year old kids are a prime example of why I think there SHOULD be a Prince Adam. The biggest thrill for them when watching any of the Filmation episodes is when Adam holds up his sword and speaks those immortal words....they literally jump up and down on the couch shouting "this is my favorite bit". It's been a fair few years since I was their age but I do recall a similar feeling of excitement when I used to watch the same episodes (much akin to the feeling I had when Christopher Reeve pulled back his shirt revealing the Superman logo before saving Lois Lane from that out of control helicopter in the first Superman movie). Kids like heroes and I think the transformation of an everyday young man (teenager?) into the Most Powerful Man in the Universe makes them feel that perhaps it is within the realms of believability, rather than some abstract character that they can't relate to (i.e., the barbarian). Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Adamant View Post
    why I think there SHOULD be a Prince Adam. The biggest thrill for them when watching any of the Filmation episodes is when Adam holds up his sword and speaks those immortal words....
    You don't need the Adam persona in order to do that, Dolph proved that already in the 1987 movie:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
    I vote Marcinko for Fisto...

marcinkofisto.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The only Teela I will ever love...

Biel1.jpgbiel2.jpgbiel3.jpgbiel4.jpg
    Yay on Fisto, nay on Teela

I want Hayley Atwell
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    You don't need the Adam persona in order to do that, Dolph proved that already in the 1987 movie:
    I don't think it's just him holding up the sword and speaking the words though. As i went onto say in my post, I think the transformation of Prince Adam into He-Man has a lot to do with it too. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be as interested in Spiderman if Peter Parker wasn't given screen time and the same applies to Superman and Clark Kent. I think this is part of the reason why the Masters of the Universe film just didn't do it for me (aside from the general plot that is ).

I think Filmmakers and Special Effect Teams can now show us a perfekt Adam to HE-MAN conversation like they did in Captian America!

edit%u00252Bamerica%2Bbefore%2Bafter.jpg

I would be impressed to see the use of two actors that look alike as Adam and He-Man.

..(I would be mostly impressed to not see the same actors on screen that I am sick of.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Adamant View Post
    I don't think it's just him holding up the sword and speaking the words though. As i went onto say in my post, I think the transformation of Prince Adam into He-Man has a lot to do with it too.
    I see ... well, the dual identity and the actual transformation never struck a cord with me, so I never missed that aspect in the '87 movie. To me "I have the power" is more like a battlecry. I also didn't have Prince Adam when I was little, He-Man was just He-Man all the time (although my mother made a little red vest for him to wear but it looked a bit silly).

Court Magician
    Adam West was never a good physical representation of Batman (none were really..Bale maybe the closest) which is why he wouldnt work in a modern trilogy...but He-man's look cant be dated because it was not from our time..a barbarian will be a barbarian..theres no modern interpretation (Some may argue hes not a barbarian but wed be kidding ourselves if we truly believe he wasnt based on Conan and Boris Vallejo works). So I think a truly accurate physical interpretation with the classic armor (or at least 200x) with 300-esque imagery would make a fantastic movie. A movie exploring Eternia and its terrains would definitely be an exciting movie...The line is very rich in characters etc..

- - - Updated - - -

prince adam not really necessary (although its a familiar and fun storyline), but at least if they did him like the mini-comics...that'd at least be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by He-loser View Post
    Adam West was never a good physical representation of Batman (none were really..Bale maybe the closest) which is why he wouldnt work in a modern trilogy...but He-man's look cant be dated because it was not from our time..a barbarian will be a barbarian..theres no modern interpretation (Some may argue hes not a barbarian but wed be kidding ourselves if we truly believe he wasnt based on Conan and Boris Vallejo works). So I think a truly accurate physical interpretation with the classic armor (or at least 200x) with 300-esque imagery would make a fantastic movie. A movie exploring Eternia and its terrains would definitely be an exciting movie...The line is very rich in characters etc..

- - - Updated - - -

prince adam not really necessary (although its a familiar and fun storyline), but at least if they did him like the mini-comics...that'd at least be cool.

I agree that a 300-esque movie could be cool but I don't see that just because He-Man was based on Conan he needs to necessarily remain a barbarian all the time. Franchises get re-invented all the time, sometimes for the better, most times not, but I think the casual viewer (and not die-hard He-Fans) will know Prince Adam and think of him as being synonymous with He-Man. If Adam could be reworked along the lines of the new DC comic series he might be more accessible to the audience, someone they can identify with, that carries them on a journey/quest and introduces us to all the characters we know and love.

I'm pretty sure he's a prince not a barbarian.