Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would He-Man have to look like today?

I would love for a live action He-Man to come as close to this as possible.

http://io9.com/he_man/

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Wasn't Fabio already in a movie?

..by the power of hairspray!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    You don't need the Adam persona in order to do that, Dolph proved that already in the 1987 movie:
    Are you serious? The only thing DL proved was that he could yell english very badly! That movie was horrendous!!

Dolph for Skeletor!!

Oh, and what is with the tittle of this thread anyways?
    .."What would He-Man HAVE TO look like..?" ..?
    What would anyone HAVE TO look like? .. What would your mom HAVE TO look like?

or

and traditional.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The most radical zombie, in all Eternia!
    YouTube: Mal TV - Metal, Toys, Video Games, & Beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by Beastman83 View Post

That. That's exactly how he should look.

That's a very good design and it would go over well in a live-action movie. He-Man needs to be a barbarian and he needs long, flowing blond manes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raist3001 View Post
    Are you serious? The only thing DL proved was that he could yell english very badly! That movie was horrendous!!
    Dead serious I have loved that movie since I was 6 years old and I watch it at least once every year.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I want to see movie He-Man with...
    Blond shaggy hair,
    Tanned MUSCULAR physique,
    Dull silver chest armor with red cross & gray or brown leather straps with 3 red squares on each strap,
    Bronze belt & vambraces,
    Long brown furry LOINCLOTH, a little longer/bigger than MOTUC King Grayskull style loincloth.
    Brown boots with ivory furry boot tops,
    MOTUC styled Power Sword, Axe & Shield.

I want He-Man to look like the action figure. I started a thread similar to this a few years back & like I said back then, I want the movie characters to look like the action figures. If the movie Watchmen can look VERY close to their comic counterparts & the movie Avengers can look like the Avengers, movie He-Man and the Masters of the Universe can look like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

(Heck, I'm still hoping for a short, hairy, muscular movie Wolverine someday. Where would they find such a guy? )
    Last edited by Power Sword; October 21, 2012 at 04:59am.
    I want my other half.

Thinking about it some more, I really think they will go for a more "NA" look for He-Man, minus the helmet. I just don’t think a full on “barbarian” look will be used. Mainly because of how spectacular the flopping of Conan was. I really think they will go for a more “sci-fi” look for not just He-Man, but he looks of all the characters. I think a more “NA” design is a good compromise.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 23, 2012 at 01:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Thinking about it some more, I really think they will go for a more "NA" look for He-Man, minus the helmet. I just don’t think a full on “barbarian” look will be used. Mainly because of how spectacular the flopping of Conan was.
    I'm not so sure. I think we still might see a leather and fur clad He-Man after all. Just heard Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning for "The Legend of Conan". The barbarian genre is not dead yet
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I'm not so sure. I think we still might see a leather and fur clad He-Man after all. Just heard Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning for "The Legend of Conan". The barbarian genre is not dead yet
    Yes, I posted that in the Open Forums. True, its very exciting news. The inclusion of Schwarzenegger will no doubt make that film a very big hit. You could be right about a more "barbarian" look. I still believe his look will lean more towards the sci-fi side of things. So it will be a more “techno barbarian” look.

Widget
    I don't think he needs to change. The artwork by Norem and co. is what sold the toys. I've always wanted to see one of those epic battle scenes on the toy packaging and story book covers in film. If the story is written well, if it is acted with integrity and directed as a film and not just for a quick buck, the original look will be just fine. I imagine that Eternia is pretty hot, a lot of the battle scenes have volcanoes and desert settings. And if you're out doing your thing and suddenly get ambushed, you won't necessarily be wearing armor. It's as believable as anything else in the world of He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBoyRM View Post
    omg wow! That is gorgeous! I love the style and the coloring. Also love that Skel has hair and Evi Lyn looks amazing! Merman looks creepy as hell and He Man is perfect handsome, heroic and ready to go at them!

please no (trashy) wrestler for the main hero, we just have un unknown director and we dont know if he'll make a good movie at all.

At this point I dont expect epic films like LOTR or THE HOBBIT but a mid-budget movie (sorta like the smurfs last year )
    Last edited by triklops1; November 11, 2012 at 01:16pm.
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Quote Originally Posted by xenadove View Post
    omg wow! That is gorgeous! I love the style and the coloring. Also love that Skel has hair and Evi Lyn looks amazing! Merman looks creepy as hell and He Man is perfect handsome, heroic and ready to go at them!
    Totally agree. Very cool

Court Magician

If He-man looked like this...it wouldnt be dated...give him his metal chestplate with a distressed metal or stainless look to it for the sci-fi aspect.
    Keep the fur, maybe a little leather but have the metals look a little more advanced..like his wristbands and belt...a perfect blend of old and new.
    Last edited by He-loser; November 10, 2012 at 08:05pm.

In Schwarzenegger's book he has a picture of his family with a safari lion, all drugged down, and he says in those foot notes that he always was fascinated with big cats.

..Also I like Adam's purple school boots over fur boots.

Widget
    I like these ones:

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBoyRM View Post

The ones Mattel came up for wb would have made me avoid the movie...
    Quarrels and Quills needs some talkative members. Check it out.

RPG Tools - need a name. come here

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    I saw how Taylor Kitsch looked in a metal/leather X harness in "John Carter" - I thought it came really close to something He-Man would wear.
    Since Kitsch's physique is above that of most decent actors ... maybe the Battle Armor He-Man look?
    That's less CG enhancements needed if you only have to worry about the arms and uncovered leg portions of whoever they put in the role. That said, I know the Battle Armor look from the 2nd He-Man figure is not as iconic.

Oh, and sorry to bring up John Carter, I know everyone here hopes a MOTU movie won't be a bomb on that level

If they can pull off a more or less correct Captain America costume in his film, they can pull off a more or less correct He-Man in a film.

Quote Originally Posted by Menna View Post
    He-man outfit is too iconic and doesn't need too many changes. The new Dc comics look is perfect, just add a longer haircut ( please no fringe!) and it's done!
    Totally agree. I'm loving the new DC comics re-design. Looks contemporary but still classic. But y'know, I would be more than okay with the page-boy haircut. How cool would that be!

Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    please no (trashy) wrestler for the main hero, we just have un unknown director and we dont know if he'll make a good movie at all. )
    So not Edge then?
    Edge+wrestler.jpg

To be honest I agree, I'm not sure the barbarian look will be used due to Conan comparisons but it depends what story line is used - ie whether there is a prince Adam who has a dramatic change like in the 200x version, a superman esque alias requiring a quick costume change or a full time HeMan character such as in the Dolph movie.

Personally I would like more of a techno inspired HeMan outfit reflecting the combination of magic, tradition and technology and think there should only be 1 transformation from an Adam character to a full time HeMan rather than switching back and forth or just having a HeMan with no background as to why he is there.

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it again: He has to be instantly recognizable as He-Man, but artistic license must be used, just as in the Dolph Lundgren movie, to make a costume that works IN A LIVE-ACTION MOVIE. The Filmation look simply WILL NOT work on screen as-is!

As I've also said many times before, and as the Lundgren movie proved, the FIRST thing that MUST be done away with is the clashing color scheme! The gray/silver harness MUST be ditched in favor of one that looks like it BELONGS with the rest of the outfit. That's why my favorite version of He-Man's outfit is the 2002-2004 version, with the live-action movie one being my # 2.

These are the best character designs I've seen, from another thread, for a He-Man look that could work in a modern movie:

Do it up with the 2002-2004 color scheme and we have a winner!
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

In this day and age, I feel it may be awkward to most kids if the main hero of the story ran around in barely anything more than fury underwear/loin cloth. That said, it occurred to me that giving He-Man pants doesn't necessarily mean stripping him of his barbarian look like certain other attempts to pants him (coughnewadventurescough) Do you think He-Man could work in pants like this?
    2002_the_scorpion_king_010.jpg
    I don't mean exactly like this, but something similar could possibly work. What do you think?