Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Marketing & Advertising Program

MOTUC Marketing & Advertising Program

One of the things that really impressed me about the 2013 subscription weeks was how many fans stepped up to the plate to market and advertise the purchase of the 2013 subscriptions. Undoubtedly, these efforts indeed helped in bringing sub sales to that 135%. A recent comment by Toy Guru in the Q & A mentioned how new buyers are only interested in the main characters like He-Man and Skeletor. I'd say this is simply not true, and I fear that this stance has and is causing MOTUC's growth to stagnate.

It got me to thinking that the efforts used during the subscription weeks could work to actually EXPAND the consumer base of MOTUC beyond the existing buyers by incentivizing talented and resourceful members of the customer base to find unique ways of spreading the word with videos, ads and articles in outlets that are effectively OUTSIDE of the typical collector circle.

Each advertiser/marketer can be provided with a unique Promo Code that they can post in their campaign efforts. The Promo Code could then be used by the new purchaser to get a discount on their purchase. The Promo Code can ALSO be used as a tracking method to determine the size of the "reward" that the advertiser/marketer should receive.

Promotions for New Buyers:
    MOTUC "Welcome" 6 Packs:
    1. "Fight for Eternia" - He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Skeletor, Beast-Man, Evil-Lyn
    2. "Heroic Warriors" - He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, She-Ra, Bow, Frosta
    3. "Evil Warriors" - Skeletor, Beast-Man, Evil-Lyn, Hordak, Catra, Leech
    4. "Fight for Etheria" - She-Ra, Bow, Frosta, Hordak, Catra, Leech

MOTUC "Welcome" 3 Packs:
    1. "Heroic Warriors" - He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela
    2. "Evil Warriors" - Skeletor, Beast-Man, Evil-Lyn
    3. "Great Rebellion" - She-Ra, Bow, Frosta
    4. "Evil Horde" - Hordak, Catra, Leech

MOTUC "Welcome" 1 Pack:
    1. He-Man
    2. Man-At-Arms
    3. Teela
    4. Skeletor
    5. Beast-Man
    6. Evil-Lyn
    7. She-Ra
    8. Bow
    9. Frosta
    10. Hordak
    11. Catra
    12. Leech

Incentives for Marketers/Advertisers (contingent on how many sales are made):
    1. Free subscription
    2. Half year sub
    3. Three figure voucher
    4. One figure voucher
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Sounds like a good idea but it will NEVER happen...Mattel doesn't know how to market MOTU that well since 2002...(And they dropped the ball on that property too)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    No New Adventures stuff?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No New Adventures stuff?
    I think the point was to increase sales.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    NA can't get a pack or two? MOTUC shouldn't be excluding fans; the line needs all the help that it can get from ALL of it's fans, not just POP and Vintage.

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

NA can't get a pack or two? MOTUC shouldn't be excluding fans; the line needs all the help that it can get from ALL of it's fans, not just POP and Vintage.
    Of course NA could get a 2pk! The idea was more to utilize existing stock - they wouldn't even have to do any special packaging, which cuts costs there. But if they wanted to offer a "Battle for Primus" 2pk with Flipshot and Slush Head, or an "Evil Mutants" 2pk, that expands on the diversity of the offerings.

This is all hypothetical, and is an idea I'm putting out there for Toy Guru or Mattel to chew on (I've also posted the OP on mattycollector too, of course). If the issue for marketing and advertising MOTUC comes down to money, then there needs to be a creative approach that will avert that issue. MOTU fans have made it clear that if Mattel wanted to take advantage of the fans as resources, they are available - and this program would be a win-win for all I think.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    No New Adventures stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisware View Post
    That was hilarious!

I hated NA back in the day, but the Horsemen have done wonders to make it cool. Not sure if most new "old" customers can be won by NA on its own. This line can only make it if marketed with nostalgic vintage MOTU and a feel of characters that fit (like Draego-Man). Getting refined NA is a nice bonus, but will never be able to seriously make MOTUC successful. NA was a failure back in the day, and there's not enough potential there to really help. It's like using Bucky O'Hare to promote TMNT. Or Cowboys of Moo Mesa. Or maybe like using Sgt. Savage to promote GIJOE.

Regarding communication/fan promotion to increase sales, I think that's a great idea, especially next year when sub sales are open, but in the meantime with little Matty stock beyond evergreen and DOS, it's gonna be hard to grow the line to new fans.

Are any fans new to MOTUC on the boards? If so, is it frustrating trying to fill in your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    That was hilarious!

I hated NA back in the day, but the Horsemen have done wonders to make it cool. Not sure if most new "old" customers can be won by NA on its own. This line can only make it if marketed with nostalgic vintage MOTU and a feel of characters that fit (like Draego-Man). Getting refined NA is a nice bonus, but will never be able to seriously make MOTUC successful. NA was a failure back in the day, and there's not enough potential there to really help. It's like using Bucky O'Hare to promote TMNT. Or Cowboys of Moo Mesa. Or maybe like using Sgt. Savage to promote GIJOE.
    A lot of fans hate the idea of New Adventures stuff on general principal, but we do have former haters who were won over by the 4H sculpts on the three figures they have made. Besides, NA wasn't as wildly successful as the vintage line, but how can a toyline fail for four years? (1989-1992)

Heroic Warrior
    Is just a joke.

Me loves me the Optikk!

A lot of fans hate the idea of New Adventures stuff on general principal, but we do have former haters who were won over by the 4H sculpts on the three figures they have made. Besides, NA wasn't as wildly successful as the vintage line, but how can a toyline fail for four years? (1989-1992)
    I have no idea how it made it to 1992. In fact, I have no memories of seeing it in the stores that late. I had no friends that bought them. I never saw anyone buying them. Around 1990, I remember going into a Kay Bee and there were a plethora of discounted NA for a dollar each. My sister convinced my parents to buy some for us, so we got Artilla and Butthead (mainly because his name was Butthead, and we found that hilarious). The figures were embarrassing to own. Looking back, I don't think the characters were terrible, but the designs were. I just can't see how NA made it even one year, other than Mattel hoping to make traction. I recently read Roger Sweet's book, and he said the line didn't make any money during its run. I believe it because I saw no interest in it then, both as a kid and as a witness (discounted toys and no talk about it). NA was MOTU's weakest line.

I have no idea how it made it to 1992. In fact, I have no memories of seeing it in the stores that late. I had no friends that bought them. I never saw anyone buying them. Around 1990, I remember going into a Kay Bee and there were a plethora of discounted NA for a dollar each. My sister convinced my parents to buy some for us, so we got Artilla and Butthead (mainly because his name was Butthead, and we found that hilarious). The figures were embarrassing to own. Looking back, I don't think the characters were terrible, but the designs were. I just can't see how NA made it even one year, other than Mattel hoping to make traction. I recently read Roger Sweet's book, and he said the line didn't make any money during its run. I believe it because I saw no interest in it then, both as a kid and as a witness (discounted toys and no talk about it). NA was MOTU's weakest line.
    You didn't like them; I was one of those fans who was thrilled that He-Man had returned and wanted to read the mini-comics that they came with. I didn't mind the new designs or characters, but I understand how some fans were put off by them. Evidently, NA must have made enough profit to last for 4 years and multiple waves. In 1992, NA characters were coming out with variants! Someone was buying those toys or it would have been canceled in a year like Wheeled Warriors, Bravestarr and Computer Warriors. Yes, it wasn't the runaway hit that Vintage MOTU was, but that doesn't mean that NA is the childhood killing trainwreck that some fans make it out to be.

Heroic Warrior
    I just started watching NA for the first time, and I can't believe I'm saying this...it almost holds up better than the original. Yeah, the content is questionable, the voice acting is terrible, but in terms of entertainment value, it's a heck of a lot easier to watch. A lot of Filmation episodes are painful to get through.

You didn't like them; I was one of those fans who was thrilled that He-Man had returned and wanted to read the mini-comics that they came with. I didn't mind the new designs or characters, but I understand how some fans were put off by them. Evidently, NA must have made enough profit to last for 4 years and multiple waves. In 1992, NA characters were coming out with variants! Someone was buying those toys or it would have been canceled in a year like Wheeled Warriors, Bravestarr and Computer Warriors. Yes, it wasn't the runaway hit that Vintage MOTU was, but that doesn't mean that NA is the childhood killing trainwreck that some fans make it out to be.
    Now, I don't know how much Roger Sweet can be relied on for accuracy, but in his book, he said, "The buzz on Mattel's 1989 collection was positive, both in the industry and from Amerman. But he held true to his philosophy and was conservative with production and shipments to avoid a replay of the inventory nightmares that brought on the earlier crisis in the first place. At the time, I heard that sales of the relaunch were dismal. I also heard that the He-Man electronic Power Sword from that effort sold better than all the other re-launch products put together." pg 152

"The 1990, '91 and '92 lines, what there was of them, were under the design jurisdiction of Mark Taylor. The sales results of those last three years barely moved the needle at Mattel." pg 178

So, I think NA only stayed afloat in the first place because Mattel didn't glut the market with He-Man like they did in the mid-80's with the original line. Mattel and Barbie's revenue were increasing by 1989, so carrying a line like "He-Man", hoping it might gain traction eventually, wasn't dangerous. At the time of Bravestarr in 1986/1987, Mattel was in dire straights, and they had to can it after a year of not producing. Mattel wasn't financially stable in 1987, but they were by 1989.

By 1989/1990, Mattel was also hoping to keep Masters/He-Man alive as one of its core brands. As a core brand, I'm sure they wanted it to be out there. Towards the end, variants could only be justified to be released, so I'd imagine this line was just a waste of Mattel's time, and it eventually got canned. Did Mattel have any other well known boy's toys brands at the time? Maybe this is the reason they wanted to stick around in that part of the market. I just don't know.

Still surprising it made it to 1992, and I will give you that, it lasted 3-4 years, but I imagine it was a forced existence with little risk/little reward. As a 9/10 year old in 1992, I had no idea it was still around. The last I saw of it was that discount sale at Kay-Bee in 1990. Maybe it was relevant in different areas of the country, but not where I lived. He-Man was sadly a joke at that time.

To tie it back to this thread, I'm going to use an old cliche - You're only as strong as your weakest link.

Using NA as an incentive to bring in new customers to this line, I think is a bad idea, You're leaning on the weakest link to bring in what....a few hundred new customers at most? I only really see potential in marketing to the kids/former customers (who may also now have kids) of the vintage MOTU, which was a hit success, and POP, which I know was popular back in the day with girls. Even 200x brings in a bit of intrigue, because you might have some kids that lived it 10 years ago and are now in their late teens/early twenties, so that's more viable than NA, which across the board, just didn't seem to bring many new fans. A lot of the NA fans, I would assume, were kids like you who were just happy to see He-Man again. And for newbies, they were a silent number, as I don't ever see much positive nostalgia gushed out beyond this website. To market MOTUC to new "old" customers, you gotta bring them back with the bread and butter of what they collected, not a line whose electronic power sword by itself outsold the rest of the line!!!!

To any NA fans, I mean no disrespect, but if we're going to bring in new customers to MOTUC, they've got to be won by the strongest link - vintage MOTU and POP. And hopefully NA can continue to piggy back in the background, as the Four Horsemen's designs have been awesome, and I think they add some flavor to the line.

In regards to NA, I am a huge fan of that era. I never collected the figs as a kid, though I wanted them. I only recently watched all of the cartoon episodes. The NA show has its moments - it's not as "lightening in the bottle" as its predecessor, but it had its qualities.

Honestly? In comparison, I like the MOTU figs more than the NA figs - the NA figs seem a little more fragile, and some of them are very awkward to pose (I know this because I'm collecting the vintage NA line now). The NA cartoon was just too much of a departure from the Filmation one. I'm 35, and the Filmation sequence still captivates me for some reasons - it's more epic. I do enjoy the NA toon's attention to tighter continuity. Ultimately, Mattel wanted to wipe the slate clean and do something totally different with He-Man - it was a mistake. You can't strip out the sci-fi, and you can't strip out the fantasy - it's just not MOTU if you do either.

The NA UK magazine and toy mini comics did a better job of transitioning from MOTU to NA, which is where the cartoon went wrong. I think if the cartoon took that approach, it would have fared better.

A lot of fans hate POP or NA because of their memory of it - they don't try to open their minds to the contemporary potential that both of these eras have. MOTUC POP and NA have been made a more cohesive part of MOTU, so what you remember is not what is.

- - - Updated - - -

As for including NA as part of this proposed marketing/advertising campaign - I wouldn't go as far as to say that it would be "leaning" on NA to do it. Obviously, the vintage MOTU and POP offerings would already attract customers - adding NA offerings couldn't hurt.

It really would be up to Toy Guru and Mattel to decide which characters are offered. One of the most frustrating things about collecting MOTUC is that you CAN'T go to mattycollector.com and collect the figures there - you have to hunt them down on ebay, bigbadtoystore or toysandtoons, and often they're marked up to crazy prices.

Ultimately, the idea that "fans are losing interest" is just not true. if you don't make collectors aware, educate them on the brand, make product available, then you're not going to be able to build interest.

To tie it back to this thread, I'm going to use an old cliche - You're only as strong as your weakest link.

Using NA as an incentive to bring in new customers to this line, I think is a bad idea, You're leaning on the weakest link to bring in what....a few hundred new customers at most? I only really see potential in marketing to the kids/former customers (who may also now have kids) of the vintage MOTU, which was a hit success, and POP, which I know was popular back in the day with girls. Even 200x brings in a bit of intrigue, because you might have some kids that lived it 10 years ago and are now in their late teens/early twenties, so that's more viable than NA, which across the board, just didn't seem to bring many new fans. A lot of the NA fans, I would assume, were kids like you who were just happy to see He-Man again. And for newbies, they were a silent number, as I don't ever see much positive nostalgia gushed out beyond this website. To market MOTUC to new "old" customers, you gotta bring them back with the bread and butter of what they collected, not a line whose electronic power sword by itself outsold the rest of the line!!!!

To any NA fans, I mean no disrespect, but if we're going to bring in new customers to MOTUC, they've got to be won by the strongest link - vintage MOTU and POP. And hopefully NA can continue to piggy back in the background, as the Four Horsemen's designs have been awesome, and I think they add some flavor to the line.
    Three things to note.

One, Mattel isn't selling the original NA figures. These are done by the 4H and all three characters have been well received by fans.

Two, You might think that purely NA fans are insufficient to contribute to sales. While pure NA fans are "unheard of" (especially super NA champions who will defend that line like POP and 200X have), the ranks of those fans happen to be MOTU fans who happen to like those characters and want them in their collections. They might want MOTU characters first, but that doesn't mean that they don't want NA at all.

Three, mykan has MOTU and POP being promoted by their strongest characters. NA would have their best characters as well. mykan, I see why you haven't added NA. I'm glad it's still an option when they get more characters to use to promote it.

Three things to note.

One, Mattel isn't selling the original NA figures. These are done by the 4H and all three characters have been well received by fans.

Two, You might think that purely NA fans are insufficient to contribute to sales. While pure NA fans are "unheard of" (especially super NA champions who will defend that line like POP and 200X have), the ranks of those fans happen to be MOTU fans who happen to like those characters and want them in their collections. They might want MOTU characters first, but that doesn't mean that they don't want NA at all.

Three, mykan has MOTU and POP being promoted by their strongest characters. NA would have their best characters as well. mykan, I see why you haven't added NA. I'm glad it's still an option when they get more characters to use to promote it.
    1. I agree, 4H have made NA cool(er).

2. I disagree to a degree, and I saw this during our sub crisis a few weeks back. Price increase and poor DR aside, which still is important, I got the feeling that resellers and casual collectors/subbers were dropping off because the inevitable loss of heavy vintage. I'm a completionist, but I sense those other folks (based on comments about character selection) only want well known vintage characters, and NA lacks in popularity and nostalgia for collectors. I will say, NA fans help the line because they want their figures and are completionist subbers, but I think NA in any spotlight hurts more than it helps to bring in new "old" customers and to retain those frustrated with the lack of heavy vintage (or vintage feeling like Vikor or Draego-Man). NA shouldn't be used on the front end to sell subs/attract attention because you're going to have more new collectors or on the fence collectors saying "Who are these guys?" or "What, this crappy version of He-Man?".

3. I like that NA has been sprinkled in because the 4H made me like characters I never liked/appreciated before.

I don't hate NA in MOTUC, but it needs to be sneaked in each year towards the backend after SDCC reveals because it's not as strong as vintage MOTU. That's all. So marketing MOTUC needs to be reliant on the bread and butter. Leave NA snuck in and let it wow customers after they've committed.

2. I disagree to a degree, and I saw this during our sub crisis a few weeks back. Price increase and poor DR aside, which still is important, I got the feeling that resellers and casual collectors/subbers were dropping off because the inevitable loss of heavy vintage. I'm a completionist, but I sense those other folks (based on comments about character selection) only want well known vintage characters, and NA lacks in popularity and nostalgia for collectors. I will say, NA fans help the line because they want their figures and are completionist subbers, but I think NA in any spotlight hurts more than it helps to bring in new "old" customers and to retain those frustrated with the lack of heavy vintage (or vintage feeling like Vikor or Draego-Man). NA shouldn't be used on the front end to sell subs/attract attention because you're going to have more new collectors or on the fence collectors saying "Who are these guys?" or "What, this crappy version of He-Man?".
    As far as this thread goes, fans would have a choice to purchase figures they want. Fans who dislike NA don't have to buy the NA packs, just as fans who dislike POP aren't forced to buy packs that have those characters in them.

3. I like that NA has been sprinkled in because the 4H made me like characters I never liked/appreciated before.

I don't hate NA in MOTUC, but it needs to be sneaked in each year towards the backend after SDCC reveals because it's not as strong as vintage MOTU. That's all. So marketing MOTUC needs to be reliant on the bread and butter. Leave NA snuck in and let it wow customers after they've committed.
    Icarius was revealed at SDCC last year and people noticed that there were no NA reveals this year. Vintage MOTU sells the best, but it isn't the only thing that sells. It's like an Ice Cream Stand only selling Chocolate because it sells the best. An awesome 4H sculpted NA character like Sagitar or Tuskador might make fans feel alot better about NA. The problem is that we haven't seen much to make more fans change their mind about the property.

As far as this thread goes, fans would have a choice to purchase figures they want. Fans who dislike NA don't have to buy the NA packs, just as fans who dislike POP aren't forced to buy packs that have those characters in them.

Icarius was revealed at SDCC last year and people noticed that there were no NA reveals this year. Vintage MOTU sells the best, but it isn't the only thing that sells. It's like an Ice Cream Stand only selling Chocolate because it sells the best. An awesome 4H sculpted NA character like Sagitar or Tuskador might make fans feel alot better about NA. The problem is that we haven't seen much to make more fans change their mind about the property.
    Icarius was a Fall 2011 SDCC reveal, he wasn't in the next year's sub sale. No NA figures have come out as SDCC reveals for the next year sub, and I think it's obvious why.

You and I are hardcore MOTU fans. Most aren't. Most new customers won't be, at least not right away. I just think about lines I've liked but am not all in, I would never commit to them unless I was getting all characters I liked. This line is different for me, because I love MOTU more than any other property. Based on declining sub sales, I have a feeling resellers and casual collectors have had enough, for a bevy of reasons, but most based on buying products they don't recognize. MOTUC is basicaly a great nostalgic trip. Mattel and fans need to be wary of marketing mainly unknowns at this point, whether it be NA, lesser known 200x, or concept characters. Obscure characters don't sell well to casual and new collectors, it's that simple. We need vintage to carry the line so NA and others can piggyback.

Icarius was a Fall 2011 SDCC reveal, he wasn't in the next year's sub sale. No NA figures have come out as SDCC reveals for the next year sub, and I think it's obvious why.

You and I are hardcore MOTU fans. Most aren't. Most new customers won't be, at least not right away. I just think about lines I've liked but am not all in, I would never commit to them unless I was getting all characters I liked. This line is different for me, because I love MOTU more than any other property. Based on declining sub sales, I have a feeling resellers and casual collectors have had enough, for a bevy of reasons, but most based on buying products they don't recognize. MOTUC is basicaly a great nostalgic trip. Mattel and fans need to be wary of marketing mainly unknowns at this point, whether it be NA, lesser known 200x, or concept characters. Obscure characters don't sell well to casual and new collectors, it's that simple. We need vintage to carry the line so NA and others can piggyback.
    You're totally right! The first character I saw was in a comic shop and was Count Marzo....and honestly I hadn't seen the shows in so long that my first reaction was "Who is that and why don't they have someone that people know." He was marked $55 and I passed. The next figure I saw was the blue Merman two pack and thought "Why would they make him blue?" and passed. Then I discovered the org, saw the rest of the amazing figures, had to have a Drago-man and Adam/Orko, got bit by nostalgia when they arrived and got hooked. I'm sure I'm not the only person that had similar reactions. (BTW, now that I've revisited Filmation and 200x I love Count Marzo's rendering.....but I'm glad I didn't pay $54.99 for him!) That's why I think Mykan's idea is awesome, though I don't see it happening unfortunately. It's too brilliant!

The entire line was created for hardcore fans. Fans who wanted The Star Sisters, Blonde Bikini Teela, Green Goddess, Count Marzo, even Battle Armor Faker. This line wasn't supposed to make all of the Vintage MOTU figures and end, it was supposed to make those figures, POP, NA, 200X and every other character in the mythos in the same style. The subscription was designed for hardcore fans as well, fans who didn't care what MOTU character they got each month. We expect to see NA characters show up, we expect to see 200X characters. Casual fans could collect the line through day of sales.

The problem is that Mattel has ignored the Digital River and Quality control issues that plagued the line. Fans warned Mattel about the problems, but they either ignored the problems, answered with snarky responses or made empty promises. Fans probably grew so tired of this, even Ram Man had a hard time selling subs. Another huge issue is pushing away day of sales, forcing the once hardcore MOTUC toyline to cater to day of sales fan buying habits in order to sell them subscriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    You're totally right! The first character I saw was in a comic shop and was Count Marzo....and honestly I hadn't seen the shows in so long that my first reaction was "Who is that and why don't they have someone that people know." He was marked $55 and I passed. The next figure I saw was the blue Merman two pack and thought "Why would they make him blue?" and passed. Then I discovered the org, saw the rest of the amazing figures, had to have a Drago-man and Adam/Orko, got bit by nostalgia when they arrived and got hooked. I'm sure I'm not the only person that had similar reactions. (BTW, now that I've revisited Filmation and 200x I love Count Marzo's rendering.....but I'm glad I didn't pay $54.99 for him!) That's why I think Mykan's idea is awesome, though I don't see it happening unfortunately. It's too brilliant!
    Thanks for sharing your experience! It's probable, some potential new fans probably have been swayed out of MOTUC due to the same initial experience, thankfully you looked into it more, now you're addicted like all of us

I'm sure we've lost some prior MOTUC customers/fans for good due to price, DR, and character selection. The only way to bring back the numbers is to get new folks in like He-Dad. Those new folks, for the most part, are going to be oldtime customers from MOTU and POP's 1980's heyday. You gotta get them hooked with the most nostalgic trip you can. And if they get hooked, they'll probably eventually get into the other stuff (hopefully). I believe there is still a large base of customers to be tapped, but you got to make sure they're feeling nostalgic (with heavy pockets), and to do that, you gotta bring back the bread and butter they remember.

On a side note, it's amazing how well MOTUC has done in a poor economy.

The entire line was created for hardcore fans. Fans who wanted The Star Sisters, Blonde Bikini Teela, Green Goddess, Count Marzo, even Battle Armor Faker. This line wasn't supposed to make all of the Vintage MOTU figures and end, it was supposed to make those figures, POP, NA, 200X and every other character in the mythos in the same style. The subscription was designed for hardcore fans as well, fans who didn't care what MOTU character they got each month. We expect to see NA characters show up, we expect to see 200X characters. Casual fans could collect the line through day of sales.

The problem is that Mattel has ignored the Digital River and Quality control issues that plagued the line. Fans warned Mattel about the problems, but they either ignored the problems, answered with snarky responses or made empty promises. Fans probably grew so tired of this, even Ram Man had a hard time selling subs. Another huge issue is pushing away day of sales, forcing the once hardcore MOTUC toyline to cater to day of sales fan buying habits in order to sell them subscriptions.
    MGM, I agree with your statement. But I will add, once sales started declining, the game changed. Vintage is the only hope to keep this line going longer. TG knows this, and that's why he threw out the roadmap. Sales for vintage figures obviously trump most others. Subs and any kind of marketing need to lie with the vintage (and everything else should piggyback to stay afloat). Releasing/promoting new MOTUC like Mantenna, Two-Bad, and Mermista is the only way we'll ever to be able to see Tuskador, Flutterina, and Melaktha. The latter can't save the line because they lack the overall nostalgia of the former.

Now, it's vintage or bust. Hopefully by 2015 or 2016, enough support (and reusable bucks) will be there for the remaining NA, POP, 200x, and Filmation to convince Mattel to keep it alive.
    Last edited by The All American; August 19, 2012 at 05:25pm.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It's probable, some potential new fans probably have been swayed out of MOTUC due to the same initial experience, thankfully you looked into it more, now you're addicted like all of us

I'm sure we've lost some prior MOTUC customers/fans for good due to price, DR, and character selection. The only way to bring back the numbers is to get new folks in like He-Dad. Those new folks, for the most part, are going to be oldtime customers from MOTU and POP's 1980's heyday. You gotta get them hooked with the most nostalgic trip you can. And if they get hooked, they'll probably eventually get into the other stuff (hopefully). I believe there is still a large base of customers to be tapped, but you got to make sure they're feeling nostalgic (with heavy pockets), and to do that, you gotta bring back the bread and butter they remember.
    Great for Vintage fans, but that sucks for the hardcore MOTU fans who have always wanted a certain obscure character or fans of other eras who wanted more than a vintage retread. That was what this line was supposed to give us. If Mattel had only taken all of those complaints more seriously, we probably wouldn't have had the drop-off that we did.

I have a terrible feeling that future MOTU lines are going to be vintage only.

Great for Vintage fans, but that sucks for the hardcore MOTU fans who have always wanted a certain obscure character or fans of other eras who wanted more than a vintage retread. That was what this line was supposed to give us. If Mattel had only taken all of those complaints more seriously, we probably wouldn't have had the drop-off that we did.

I have a terrible feeling that future MOTU lines are going to be vintage only.
    Whether or not this line was designed for hardcore MOTU fans is now irrelevant. MOTUC MUST adapt if it is to survive. I don't know what the ultimate plan for MOTUC was - was it to just make certain characters and then go away? I don't know....

What I do know is that the obscure characters MUST be put on a temporary back burner until this line can be put back on track - it's what the current buying group demands. Without a supporting media, obscure characters are hard sells - MOTUC cannot depend on hardcore collectors to carry the line. Right now, it's pretty clear that it's the recreation of the vintage MOTU/POP/NA and Filmation characters that is going to keep this line moving.

The DC comic books are one effort that may help to bring in new consumers - they may also help to build on the obscure characters. Between DC and Toy Guru, efforts must be made to build up obscure characters in the future - make the consumers WANT them.

For me, I'm not willing to pay $75 for the FFM - just because they look good. WHO are they? What's their story? What makes them relevant? AND I want to know that BEFORE I shell out my $75 - flesh them out more than the bios can. That's where we are now.

What's more, the marketing/advertising campaign that I suggest would help to expand the existing customer base - which would strengthen the MOTUC line and make it more likely that obscure characters eventually get their day in the light.

Those who are new to the line aren't all likely to buy 6 figures at once....Not everyone is going to shell out $120+ for these things all at once, and the "1 packs" we already have in the essentials.

On another but similar topic....
    3 packs are also high priced with no discounts on the 3 figures together, multipacks should be pro-rated against how many figures are in the pack, 6 figures, each should be at the $25 sub price, around $19 - $20 per figure....but no, the full price for each figure times how many figures, is what they do....Hello, people want discounts for buying in bulk, the 3 packs as they are now are overpriced, oh but I guess you save on shipping getting 3 figures in one set....um, yeah, but the figures should also be discounted slightly as well.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Those who are new to the line aren't all likely to buy 6 figures at once....Not everyone is going to shell out $120+ for these things all at once, and the "1 packs" we already have in the essentials.

On another but similar topic....
    3 packs are also high priced with no discounts on the 3 figures together, multipacks should be pro-rated against how many figures are in the pack, 6 figures, each should be at the $25 sub price, around $19 - $20 per figure....but no, the full price for each figure times how many figures, is what they do....Hello, people want discounts for buying in bulk, the 3 packs as they are now are overpriced, oh but I guess you save on shipping getting 3 figures in one set....um, yeah, but the figures should also be discounted slightly as well.
    The aforementioned Promo Code would have a discount with it.

You are right about folks not wanting to buy 3 or 6 figures. Which is why there are the 1pk, 3pk, 6pk options. The suggested character offering can be changed up by Mattel. ALSO, with the discounts garnered from the Promo Code, there's incentive to take advantage of using the code's discount in a "bulk buy" fashion. This is not etched in stone, it's just an illustration of a possible scenario.