Thread: Fairness in the Factions

Hybrid View

Fairness in the Factions

So with today's reveals, do you feel there is more of a change in the Fairness in the Factions?

We did get the obvious exclusion of NA but is this a better spread of the eras?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think this is one of the most unfair showings to date, to be honest. Now, I do like a lot of the characters, but we have ONE Princess of Power character for 2013 (no others in 2012 after Frosta) and ZERO New Adventures characters in the rest of 2012 or beginning of 2013. I believe Mattel thinks NA means N/A (not applicable).

Everything is 80's MOTU except for Dekker, Netossa and the new creation of "King He-Man" which does not look like King Adam from He-Ro: Son of He-Man. Throw us another PoP female like Sweet Bee or Glimmer and a PoP Filmation character like Scorpia, Sea Hawk or Vultak...and at LEAST one New Adventures character. I mean, really.

Also, I wish Rattlor wasn't coming out so soon after we get his body with the Snakemen two pack. He's awesome, but I mean...we're just getting those. Save him for later when he can be more special and shine on his own.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

To be honest the showings today for me are bittersweet,

Fang Man is cool, Rattlor is cool, Ram-Man is of course cool. However it is becoming overwhelmingly obvious that the females are getting the **** end of the stick. There are so many to offer, and be adding in a no-account fighting foe women, it really makes fun of the rest of the POP, and filmation ladies we're not getting, and probably will not get. After Mekaneck, Jitsu and Ram-Man come out I believe there won't be as big a subscriber base as we have had. I believed Ram-Man was going to be the last dangling carrot for us but I have come to the conclusion that Mattel might believe MOTUC is a sinking ship and they want to satiate the fan base before it goes the way of the dodo.

On another note, which is both positive and negative, I love the Ram-Man sculpt, I really do, but what is really galling me is that, his head/face sculpt is a combo of mini-comic, animated and 200x, with and without helmet, but we still ended up getting a ridiculous looking clawful and buzz-off??? I don't get it.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    To be honest the showings today for me are bittersweet,

Fang Man is cool, Rattlor is cool, Ram-Man is of course cool. However it is becoming overwhelmingly obvious that the females are getting the **** end of the stick. There are so many to offer, and be adding in a no-account fighting foe women, it really makes fun of the rest of the POP, and filmation ladies we're not getting, and probably will not get.
    I like the FF Woman, but I tend to agree. I'm worried her spot in this pack will take away a PoP female or Filmation Female (Shokoti, Scorpia, Enchantress, etc.) from 2013. Mattel will just say "See? We gave you a female right there. Now, quit yer *****in!"
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I'm disappointed. Almost everything I've seen today looks amazing but I don't think they should all be coming out so soon.

Where are the New Adventures characters? Where are the members of the Great Rebellion?
    If they don't start making them soon the line will end before we get even half of them.

What's the deal with the Filmation licence? They've had it for over a year now, why aren't they taking advantage of it?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    What's the deal with the Filmation licence? They've had it for over a year now, why aren't they taking advantage of it?
    They just acquired it in 2011. Although they rushed Shadow Weaver to market in 2012, it takes a year to produce toys that we are just now seeing.

Fang Man, Filmation Randor, the Star Seed, the Time Window and Sword of the Ancients were all revealed today. And that's just the first quarter of the year! We have 3 quarters left to go.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I would love to see at least one more NA (perhaps in the place of rattlor) and one more POP related figure. mainly because I think that NA figures are taking the best out of classics and Im always pretty exicted to find out if somethings out.
    I can understand that planning the line, with a lot of the fanbase not really into POP as much as they are with the other motu forms, is really difficult. the simple truth is that we are fine with matty releasing two vintage figures in three months and we're not with POP taking two slots over 5 months.
    I have to be honest: in the recently announced figures I can find just a place for one more new adventure figure, the other slots are pretty fine to me and well balanced, even if I know that the line deserves more pink/light blue/fucsia/gold colour schemes.

I'm sure we will see another POP and a NA figure before they halfway point of 2013. When all is said and done and we can see the entire year laid out it will probably look just fine. That being said, I agree that a NA figure should have been shown today. Only one Galactic Protector so far is pretty dismal. As for POP, 2-3 a year is fine with me if they all look as AMAZINGLY awesome as Netossa. She looks like she literally just walked out of a Filmation episode. Absolute perfection!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think this is one of the most unfair showings to date, to be honest. Now, I do like a lot of the characters, but we have ONE Princess of Power character for 2013 (no others in 2012 after Frosta) and ZERO New Adventures characters in the rest of 2012 or beginning of 2013. I believe Mattel thinks NA means N/A (not applicable).

Everything is 80's MOTU except for Dekker, Netossa and the new creation of "King He-Man" which does not look like King Adam from He-Ro: Son of He-Man. Throw us another PoP female like Sweet Bee or Glimmer and a PoP Filmation character like Scorpia, Sea Hawk or Vultak...and at LEAST one New Adventures character. I mean, really.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. 1 POP figure and no NA?? Makes no sense if we were shooting for diversity this year. Hopefully powercon reveals will improve this.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Also, I wish Rattlor wasn't coming out so soon after we get his body with the Snakemen two pack. He's awesome, but I mean...we're just getting those. Save him for later when he can be more special and shine on his own.
    I kinda agree with this. Alot actually.

What I will say is that Tounge Lashor would have been tops, and Rattlor is on the heels of that generic snakeman that uses his body, so it seems less special. But whatever, Rattlor is clearly next fave snakeman.

But as long as I see a NA (or two) this 2013 year, Glimmer, and possibly Sea Hawk or Shakoti or Strong arm in 2013, I'll think this was a good spread.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I kinda agree with this. Alot actually.

What I will say is that Tounge Lashor would have been tops, and Rattlor is on the heels of that generic snakeman that uses his body, so it seems less special. But whatever, Rattlor is clearly next fave snakeman.

But as long as I see a NA (or two) this 2013 year, Glimmer, and possibly Sea Hawk or Shakoti or Strong arm in 2013, I'll think this was a good spread.
    YES @ Tung Lashor! That would have been a LOT better at this time. I agree about your outlook, too. I would like to see 2 NA, another popular Filmation character and I hope for at least 4 total PoP characters (beasts, multi-packs, whatever). Preferably female. We got 4 in 2012 (Star Sisters and Frosta). So far, 1 in 2013.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    The problem with this particular set of reveals for me is not so much the faction diveristy (well, with the exception of NA; you poor fans got totally hosed ), it's how Mattel is handling them. None of these guys really wowed me for their "faction," and while diversity is great, it's not worth having six straight months worth of ho-hum characters. New POP, Snakemen, filmation, and 200x all showed up, yet each of those groups could have easily had a more interesting representative in my opinion and at least two of them should have (any two, take your pick). What REALLY burns me up though is this Fighting Foe men 3 pack. That single handedly gives me serious doubts about purchasing a sub this year. I really hope everyone that complained about having to buy a three pack of "obscure" characters (Star Sisters) last year will raise unholy hell over this one.

Now, my heart is with PoP, so I've got to rant on that specifically. I was absolutely ****** when I saw Netossa. Don't get me wrong, I think she's great and I want to get her... but now? Are you kidding me? Mattel, I gave you guys a pass on your choice to do the Star Sisters so early. Is this how you repay me? We don't even have half of the first year PoP characters and we have 0 (ZERO!) second year characters. How is it possible that we get Netossa before either Glimmer or Angella, much less BOTH?! That's like releasing Extendar before MAA AND Teela. If we wait another 6 months after Netossa is released and I find out that the next PoP coming another few months down the road is Spinnerella, my head is going to asplode.

Edit: I realized after reading my comment that I perhaps made it sound like I wasn't pleased with the Star Sisters. That was absolutely not the case. I just think the decision to do them at that time was dubious at best.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; July 14, 2012 at 03:46am.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Am I happy?

Put it this way. We have more Great Rebellion stickers than Great Rebellion members.

Enough said
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Perhaps Netossa was selected because despite being one of the later vintage figures, she remains fairly popular with fans, and has some vocal fans, as evidenced in the POP Idol polls:

Scorpia +26
    Castaspella and Glimmer +20
    Mermista +14
    Madame Razz +9
    Netossa and Double Trouble +6
    Octavia +5
    Sea Hawk and Peekablue +4
    Kowl +3
    Entrapta +3
    Imp +3
    Spinerella +2
    Angella +1
    Perfuma +1
    Sweet Bee +1
    General Sunder +1
    Huntara +1
    Lightspinner +1
    Josh +1
    I wouldn't worry so much about Spinnerella being the next POP reveal as her vocal support base seems a bit more shy.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I really hope everyone that complained about having to buy a three pack of "obscure" characters (Star Sisters) last year will raise unholy hell over this one.
    I doubt it.
    I think a lot of the fanbase are quite excited about FFM. and thats because at least half of the subscribers are into motu vintage primarily, not POP, even if I love the 80s line and I agree that they could save a pair of more slots for she-ravers and NA fans...

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!

I have to totally agree with what you've stated.

This doesn't mean I am not happy with what we were shown, quite the opposite in fact, I LOVE the reveals! I am really excited for the remainder of 2012 and going into 2013, I am debating on whether or not to up my subs to three again....

The question of fairness in the factions, however, is an important one. Darkspecter is correct when he wrote this was one of the most unfair showings, especially if you are a PoP or NA fan. I was pretty upset when I raced to the Mattel Booth and found zero New Adventures representation.... nadda, zilch, nothing! Being a huge NA fan, all my hopes are resting with the remainder of the 2013 figures, I mean, come on, (other than Nocturna) they have to have another NA on the way right?

But other than the faction dispute, I am wholly pleased with what Mattel revealed at the show. Then again, it would be hard not to be excited when you're standing in front of RAM MAN and GRANAMYR!! One figure I've been eagerly anticipating and one that I've waited 30 years for!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a bit perplexed as to why they don't want to make more NA figures. If they want to limit them to just the cool ones, which is what they have been doing so far, then they need to make a few more including NA He-Man and Skeletor then call it quits with NA... This way they can focus on POP, which is getting a few here and there but not nearly as much a they should. I predict them putting out as much Filmation stuff as possible since the rights expire after a while. If they could move away from the concept figures and stop trying to expand the line with new figures, they could spread things out better.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a bit perplexed as to why they don't want to make more NA figures. If they want to limit them to just the cool ones, which is what they have been doing so far, then they need to make a few more including NA He-Man and Skeletor then call it quits with NA... This way they can focus on POP, which is getting a few here and there but not nearly as much a they should. I predict them putting out as much Filmation stuff as possible since the rights expire after a while. If they could move away from the concept figures and stop trying to expand the line with new figures, they could spread things out better.

Perhaps Power-Con will bring a bit more fairness for 2013. Would I have enjoyed seeing more POP and some NA? Absolutely, but I'm pretty happy with what we got.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592:3071266
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I think those characters deserve their own releases and 3 packs should be used for concept or army builders or even Dree/Montork/Yukkers or a Kowl/Loo-kee/Imp 3 pack (although for 75 bucks they better be amazing with lots of extra goodies
    !

The problem there is that with concept and prototype figures... your always going ot be paying $75 for something most people DON'T WANT! Star sisters... Fighting Foe men... The kind of things that people riot over.

I don't really understand the 'deserves their own release' concept... A release is a release. In the old days we got 3 packs with He-man, Man E faces and Teela or something like that... Main character gift packs...

Why would people rather see the lesser property take up 3 monthly slots then just get them all at once?

I'd rather they use them to get a bunch of figures out quickly, rather than charge extra for characters we don't want.

Glimmer Angella, Razz (and broom).... Flogg, NA He-man, Other NA guy... Blade Saurod, Gwildor...

Characters are all cool... but they dont' NEED their own single card to look good on my shelf

I still feel the MOTUC line is a ticking timebomb... any year could be the last, so lets STOP with the concpet and 'expansion' figures... and lets get some BASICS out here!!!!
    I don't mind multi packs of certain figures. And I agree that they shouldn't be used to pawn off things no one wants...but that's what happens. Often in multipacks they'll throw in something no one wants with something desirable so youll still buy it. Example....filmation 3 pack with lord masque, shokoti, and crackers the clown. Or we get na scientists. That's what I see happening before we get saw glimmer, Angela, and madam razz. A movie pack would be fine with me but I know people have mentioned a second head for blade and don't think that would happen if they go that route. It seems they skimp on accessories in the 3packs.....at least they did with the star sisters. That's why I said if they do then load the accessories. I worry that even with the increased price they still will cut corners to keep the figures on schedule. One figure can delay the whole pack. Now instead of juggling one around they have 3 to juggle. I just don't want important figures rushed just to get them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I'd really like to get some Fuerza-T characters into the line. I know they'd take spots away from the other factions, but a lot of those guys are really cool.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior

Fairness in the Factions... What could have been...

I'll explain what I did first, and then listed below I will show who we would now have that we don't, and who we wouldn't have that we currently do, if there had been a completely unbiased production of figures in all the factions.

So I started with the different factions: Heroic Warriors, Evil Warriors, 200X, Great Rebellion, Horde, Space Mutants, Galactic Guardians, Snake-Men, Concept, Filmation, MYP, Comics, and Movies.

Since I can't know what concept figures have yet to be produced, and filmation, MYP, and comics have virtually unlimited figures to choose from, I only used the figures that have already been produced.

I then added up the number of figures that were produced in each year (including SS and FFM as three figures each).

I took all of the figures that were produced in order, and if figures had not been produced, I left them in the order listed here on the .org.

The movie line I did based on most re-use to least re-use (Blade, Saurod, Gwildor).

So.... HOW DID WE END UP???

Heroic Warriors: He-Man; Stratos; Zodac; Man-At-Arms; Teela; King Randor; Moss Man; Orko;

But we would NOT have: Prince Adam; Roboto; Buzz-Off; Sy-Klone; Man-E-Faces; Snout Spout; Sorceress; Fisto; Mekaneck; Ram-Man; Champ Clamp

The Great Rebellion: She-Ra; Bow; Frosta; Netossa; Angella; Castaspella; Glimmer

Galactic Guardians: Flipshot; Hydron; Kayo, Nocturna; Vizor; Artilla

Evil Warrios: Beast Man; Skeletor; Faker; Mer-Man; Tri-Klops; Webstor; Scare Glow; Trap Jaw;

But we would NOT have: Evil-Lyn; Whiplash; Clawful; Stinkor; Spikor; Jitsu

The Horde: Hordak; Grizzlor; Catra; Leech; Mosquitor; Mantenna; Modulok

Space Mutants: Optikk; Slush Head; Karattie; Flogg; Hoove; Lizor; Butt Head

Snake Men: King Hiss; Kobra Kahn; Rattlor; Snake Face; Tung Lashor; Blast Attack

200X*: Zodak; Keldor; Battleground Evil-Lyn; King Hiss; Prince Adam; Sorceress; Beast Man

Filmation: Adora; Queen Marlena; Shadow Weaver; Horde Prime; King Randor

MYP: King Grayskull; Count Marzo; Chief Carnivus; Faceless One; Dekker

comics: Goddess; Preternia Disguise He-Man; Battleground Teela; TOD Sorceress

Concept: He-Ro; Wun-Dar; Demo-Man; Vikor; Vykron; Star Sisters; Fighting Foe Men

And all the movie characters and giants so far.

*200X was the only one I specifically adjusted to pick characters that had a DRASTIC character change versus simply a physique change. However, when the ones that I felt had this had been used up, I just picked the first one on the list, hence Beast Man being on there.

So what do you think? Would you be happier with this equal distribution? Are you happy to see that this disaster was avoided?
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The thing to remember about Fairness in the Factions is that the figures contribute parts that eventually get used by other figures in the future. The original vintage 8 back characters were very easy to produce because of reusing the barbarian, furry character and Evil Warrior bucks, which still gives us figures four years later. Teela's parts gave us two Evil-Lyn figures and the Goddess. She-Ra's parts continue to yield new POP characters. New Adventures has to thank that Trap Jaw/Man-E-Faces/Roboto buck. Even He-Ro's boots have seen a few more uses.

This isn't absolute though. I think once Catra had been established, we could have started to see more regular POP characters than we were seeing.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I understand the buck part of it, which is why I kept it in the order they were produced. There are a few new unique sculpts in my list, but we also lost some unique sculpts too, so I view it as a wash on cost to produce more variety in the factions.

I just wonder, knowing we'd have to lose some characters to include others and, based on the order we received them, if people would be happy with the ones they would have lost for the ones they could have gained.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I was talking to my friend earlier, and he commented how surprised he was that so many females have been released in this line. I told them that there has been a few, but not a lot compared to the vintage line.

How does POP stack up to the vintage (let's say the vintage got the same worth in the releases).

He-Man (She-Ra)
    Thunder Punch He-Man (Bubble Power She-Ra)
    TRU He-Man (TRU She-Ra)
    Skeletor (Catra)
    Teela (Bow)
    Mekaneck (Frosta)
    Queen Marlena (Shadow Weaver)
    Clamp Champ (Netossa)
    He-Ro, Eldor, Preternia Disguise He-Man (The Star Sisters)

Swiftwind (Battle Cat)

That's quite a skimpy list for entering year five of the line if that was vintage. Granted, POP isn't even close in the number of figs versus the vintage line and I'm not including the Horde (I consider them MOTU vintage since they were never released as POP), but there has been some lack of fairness in the factions.