Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairness in the Factions

I have a feeling we're going to get 1 Filmation+POP female during Q2 - Octavia or Scorpia - to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I also feel we'll get another NA figure in April or May, I'm betting Flogg or Hydron. Then to round out Q2, I bet we'll see another Vintage MOTU figure, probably Clamp Champ or Rio Blast.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think this is one of the most unfair showings to date, to be honest. Now, I do like a lot of the characters, but we have ONE Princess of Power character for 2013 (no others in 2012 after Frosta) and ZERO New Adventures characters in the rest of 2012 or beginning of 2013. I believe Mattel thinks NA means N/A (not applicable).

Everything is 80's MOTU except for Dekker, Netossa and the new creation of "King He-Man" which does not look like King Adam from He-Ro: Son of He-Man. Throw us another PoP female like Sweet Bee or Glimmer and a PoP Filmation character like Scorpia, Sea Hawk or Vultak...and at LEAST one New Adventures character. I mean, really.

Also, I wish Rattlor wasn't coming out so soon after we get his body with the Snakemen two pack. He's awesome, but I mean...we're just getting those. Save him for later when he can be more special and shine on his own.
    I kinda agree with this. Alot actually.

What I will say is that Tounge Lashor would have been tops, and Rattlor is on the heels of that generic snakeman that uses his body, so it seems less special. But whatever, Rattlor is clearly next fave snakeman.

But as long as I see a NA (or two) this 2013 year, Glimmer, and possibly Sea Hawk or Shakoti or Strong arm in 2013, I'll think this was a good spread.

I am quite surprised at the lack of Filmation characters - only Fang Man (they could have done Randor in that cartoony look from day 1 thanks to the vintage figure). I thought 2013 was to feature a few Filmation figures now they have the licence. At this rate we may get only 2-3 genuine Filmation characters. I'm surprised.

That being said, I do like the general spread of characters.

I've been voting for Netossa in the POP idol so I'm quite glad she features - indeed headlines 2013. I just hope there is another reveal tonight of a net-weapon to go with her, in addition to her cape that we've seen.

The knot in my stoumach suggests we will see some NA later in 2013.

Procrustus as the mini-comic figure is awesome - and the Monogram pilots as Fighting Foe Men: AMAZING!!

The reveal of UK Horde Prime head on Spector's body, with Cy Chop's belt and Rattlor's Horde armband gives us an acceptable proxy of the UK comic Horde Prime - an amazing kitbash that will force even a Horde Prime sceptic like me to go out and buy another Spector.

Dekker for 200x.

Thinking about this issue of faction fairness further, it just seems so dang hard to fit a distribution of all factions into any one reveal session.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I was pretty disappointed by the lack of fairness in the factions with yesterday's reveals:

1 POP, 0 NA, 1 Filmation...

I can't believe they're giving us 3 "concept characters" (FFM) while some factions are so underrepresented! Even more now that the beast and variant slots are merged!

I was expecting/hoping for Scorpia, Angella, Hydron or Flogg!
    Almost five years into the line and we're still waiting for the POP and NA core members!!!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I kinda agree with this. Alot actually.

What I will say is that Tounge Lashor would have been tops, and Rattlor is on the heels of that generic snakeman that uses his body, so it seems less special. But whatever, Rattlor is clearly next fave snakeman.

But as long as I see a NA (or two) this 2013 year, Glimmer, and possibly Sea Hawk or Shakoti or Strong arm in 2013, I'll think this was a good spread.
    YES @ Tung Lashor! That would have been a LOT better at this time. I agree about your outlook, too. I would like to see 2 NA, another popular Filmation character and I hope for at least 4 total PoP characters (beasts, multi-packs, whatever). Preferably female. We got 4 in 2012 (Star Sisters and Frosta). So far, 1 in 2013.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    The problem with this particular set of reveals for me is not so much the faction diveristy (well, with the exception of NA; you poor fans got totally hosed ), it's how Mattel is handling them. None of these guys really wowed me for their "faction," and while diversity is great, it's not worth having six straight months worth of ho-hum characters. New POP, Snakemen, filmation, and 200x all showed up, yet each of those groups could have easily had a more interesting representative in my opinion and at least two of them should have (any two, take your pick). What REALLY burns me up though is this Fighting Foe men 3 pack. That single handedly gives me serious doubts about purchasing a sub this year. I really hope everyone that complained about having to buy a three pack of "obscure" characters (Star Sisters) last year will raise unholy hell over this one.

Now, my heart is with PoP, so I've got to rant on that specifically. I was absolutely ****** when I saw Netossa. Don't get me wrong, I think she's great and I want to get her... but now? Are you kidding me? Mattel, I gave you guys a pass on your choice to do the Star Sisters so early. Is this how you repay me? We don't even have half of the first year PoP characters and we have 0 (ZERO!) second year characters. How is it possible that we get Netossa before either Glimmer or Angella, much less BOTH?! That's like releasing Extendar before MAA AND Teela. If we wait another 6 months after Netossa is released and I find out that the next PoP coming another few months down the road is Spinnerella, my head is going to asplode.

Edit: I realized after reading my comment that I perhaps made it sound like I wasn't pleased with the Star Sisters. That was absolutely not the case. I just think the decision to do them at that time was dubious at best.
    Last edited by Sword2Blanket; July 14, 2012 at 03:46am.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Am I happy?

Put it this way. We have more Great Rebellion stickers than Great Rebellion members.

Enough said
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Perhaps Netossa was selected because despite being one of the later vintage figures, she remains fairly popular with fans, and has some vocal fans, as evidenced in the POP Idol polls:

Scorpia +26
    Castaspella and Glimmer +20
    Mermista +14
    Madame Razz +9
    Netossa and Double Trouble +6
    Octavia +5
    Sea Hawk and Peekablue +4
    Kowl +3
    Entrapta +3
    Imp +3
    Spinerella +2
    Angella +1
    Perfuma +1
    Sweet Bee +1
    General Sunder +1
    Huntara +1
    Lightspinner +1
    Josh +1
    I wouldn't worry so much about Spinnerella being the next POP reveal as her vocal support base seems a bit more shy.

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    I'd actually really like a Spinnerella. She's a rare figure and I think that's kinda cool for people to be able to get her in MOTUC instead of the vintage PoP doll for $1000+.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I love Netossa and Jitsu I really do but I'm not getting a sub, 2012 will be my last year with one. One Great Rebellion girl is just not good enough on any level. The wait for A-Listers like Glimmer, Queen Angella and Castaspella continues. Not to mention A-List Filmation characters like Scorpia and Octavia. There's no justification for not having done Glimmer yet in particular it's just a joke and not a funny one. I can't help but feel that Dekker should of been another Great Rebellion member for 2012, I know Toyguru likes 200X but that slot sould have been Great Rebellion imo.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : The Twiggets

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    There should have been 2 Great Rebellion ladies, A Space Mutant such as Flogg or Crita, a Snakeman such as Snake Face that wasn't such a re-use of parts, more hard hitting Filmation characters such as Shokoti and Scorpia, or Lord Masque and Octavia, a surprise like a Kowl and Imp 2-pack, or something unexpected like Stonedar, Rio Blast or Granita...

I'm excited for Netossa and Mosquitor, I'm happy enough about a couple of the others, but overall, not a great reveal.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Netossa is nice but Glimmer or Mermista would have been better if you ask me.

We finally got an original mini comic character with Procrustus so this faction finally wasnīt overlooked but AGAIN NA was.

FILMATION has now three (more like five if you count MOTUCs Adora and Catra but i know they donīt count so i donīt count them) spot on representations all in one year. That shows how important FILMATION is for Mattel and thatīs fine, as kids most everyone wanted those looks as we didnīt know it could have been better but at this time is simply wasnīt possible to make the characters look more like the original designs.

The snakemen got four characters this year two of them share the same buck.

But who really was blessed this time are the good guys Mekaneck, Randor, Dekker, Ram Man, Strobo(he is one of the good guys right?) two of the Fighting Foe Men and Sorceress. WOW!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Guys we can't have everything, all the time - we will get our NA characters. I would have loved to see a NA character - but we didn't and it doesn't bother me as we will get them eventually.
    Let's just be a bit more patient. I'm betting we'll see a NA character coming in April or May (which is the usual slot allocated for them). I think we'll see Hydron and maybe a POP or Filmation character in April and May - hopefully Castaspella or Sea-Hawk.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Beetle View Post
    Vintage first. Everything else is so much meat!
    I take it that is sarcasm since you have a Drago-man avatar?

Anyway, the balance of figures is getting a little bit of a joke really, females, NA, POP are all being screwed over

Not saying they should take prevalence, but i think the ratio of figures could be altered
    The fact filmation is being shoe horned in so much is a little distasteful, as its quite obvious that if any figures are being bumped to fit them in its the ones above in favour of filmation

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Guys we can't have everything, all the time - we will get our NA characters. I would have loved to see a NA character - but we didn't and it doesn't bother me as we will get them eventually.
    Let's just be a bit more patient. I'm betting we'll see a NA character coming in April or May (which is the usual slot allocated for them). I think we'll see Hydron and maybe a POP or Filmation character in April and May - hopefully Castaspella or Sea-Hawk.
    I think 4 years, going into 5 is patience enough
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    I think 4 years, going into 5 is patience enough
    Absolutely!
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : The Twiggets

I wish they would spread out the lines a bit. I think they revealed too many main guys. I love Ram Man but I could have waited for him.

They have the sales numbers so they must know what they're doing.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Disappointed that there were no N/A, i really hope we see at least 2 in 2013, maybe hydron and skeletor as much as i want Flogg though, another POP girl would be cool, glimmer or wouldnt mind sweet bee. They could even throw in Razz/Broom as SDCC exclusive. Would love to see atleast another 3 filmation characters, especially Scorpia, filmation/horde member.

I can understand this being the 30th Annivesary that they feature alot of vintage and boy 2012 was alot of vintage. In 2013 after Jitsu im only expecting to see maybe another 2 or 3 at the most.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

I think they should announce the ratio of factions for the year ahead when subscriptions go on sale.

"12 monthly figures including three from the vintage Masters series, two from the Princess of Power range, a Galactic Protector, a Space Mutant, a Snakeman, etc etc."

Yep. With so many 'factions' (POP, NA, mini-comics, Filmation, prototype, vintage MOTU, 200x, Horde, Snakes, MOTUC new canon) it makes it mighty difficult to fit everything into one reveal.

TG has promised all 80s figures if we fans keep supporting the line.

Let's just be a bit more patient. I'm betting we'll see a NA character coming in April or May (which is the usual slot allocated for them). I think we'll see Hydron and maybe a POP or Filmation character in April and May...
    Between April to June 2013 I'm betting you're right. In fact, I'd be quite astonished if we didn't see a NA, POP and Filmation over these months.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post
    Anyway, the balance of figures is getting a little bit of a joke really, females, NA, POP are all being screwed over

Not saying they should take prevalence, but i think the ratio of figures could be altered
    The fact filmation is being shoe horned in so much is a little distasteful, as its quite obvious that if any figures are being bumped to fit them in its the ones above in favour of filmation
    So far there have only been 2 Filmation characters: Shadow Weaver and now Fang Man. Can't say many POP or NA figures have been bumped when there's only been 2 figures in 13 months.

Eternos Palace Randor doesn't technically count as a 'Filmation character' because Mattel own the rights to him as a vintage MOTU figure and character in vintage mini-comics - in the same way Mattel was able to make Marlena, Adora and Orko in MOTUC using their Filmation looks.

TG has been hinting about Randor variants for years now, I suspect Palace Randor was always in TG's 'roadmap' through to 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    I can understand this being the 30th Annivesary that they feature alot of vintage and boy 2012 was alot of vintage. In 2013 after Jitsu im only expecting to see maybe another 2 or 3 at the most.
    Actually 2012 has less vintage toys than any year since 2008:
    2009 - 12 vintage
    2010 - 12 vintage
    2011 - 11 vintage
    2012 - 10 vintage

Vintage MOTU figures are also much less prominent in selling the 2013 subs than they were last year.

Mattel used 4 vintage figures to sell the 2012 subs - and they were heavy hitters: Sorceress, Fisto, TP He-Man and Kobra Khan. To round out the Subscription sales pitch, Mattel also used Shadow Weaver (Filmation POP) as the Sub Exclusive and 3 POP Great Rebellion figures (Star Sisters) who also featured in the cartoon.

To sell the 2013 subscription Mattel are using only 2 vintage MOTU figures (Ram-Man & Jitsu), 1 vintage POP (Netossa), 1 Filmation (Fang Man) and 4 brand new Toyguru-canon figures (King He-Man and Fighting Foe Men).

It seems Toyguru may have been listening to the calls to pare back vintage MOTU figures. Will this strategy work to sell the subscription though?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzchuck View Post
    I think that when you look at the entire year it will seem pretty fair. They have to dump a lot of cool MOTU guys at the beginning to help sell the subs. I really like She-Ra, but we are now getting one of my least favorite girls. Nettossa, Sweet Bee, Perfuma, and Peak-a-Blue are fine for the POP doll line, but it the bigger context of Master of the Universe... they aren't warriors and Skeletor and Hordak would just destroy them.

There are less NA characters and less Females total, so there proportionality will be less of them compared to other figures each year. I totally understand that the fans of these characters want them before the line goes away. We shall see how that pans out.
    But is it true that they need to load the first half of the year with a lot of classic figures. Don't all sub buyers know by now that the rest of the year may have lesser known characters. Are there really sub buyers, who by nature, for the most part, want everything released that would not buy a sub if the first three figures are all NA or POP. I would get a sub regardless. I don't understand.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

With the exception of Filmation Randor, I'm plenty jazzed about what was shown than I am totally bummed about what wasn't.

I think we can expect the A-list PoP to be sprinkled in and not be shown in gratifying clumps like the vintage He-Man figures were and yeah, I hate that. I love that they're doing Netossa. She's cool and she pretty much sets up Peekablue, who will reuse a lot of her parts. Glimmer and Angela will probably be next, or maybe Castaspella and Entrapta?! I hope we don't have to wait a year for them though.

It's true that vintage he-man figures are diminishing because let's face it there just aren't many left. If they burn through Clamp Champ and Ninjor later in 2013 there will be even fewer for that year's SDCC.

RE "Toyguru canon" characters, I like them, but he's probably seeing them as two factions/eras though: Preternia, and He-Ro Son of He-Man. Granted w/ Spector and SLL, that makes as many HSoH era characters as there are NA, and that's kind of maddening.

I'm all for more POP & NA in MOTUC, but fairness in the factions is just not going to happen in a toyline name Masters Of The Universe. That is especially true when MOTU-related characters are the line's strongest sellers.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Am I happy?

Put it this way. We have more Great Rebellion stickers than Great Rebellion members.

Enough said
    But only 1 beast sized one, iirc

crystalmoonbeam.jpg
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    So what ? We now have the most fan demanded 3 pack in the history of MOTU, The Fighting Foe Men !!!!

Pretty Cool huh ? Lets Celebrate !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !