Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairness in the Factions

The only thing that would've topped off what was a great reveal for me would have been a NA character.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    Yeah, no NA figure is a big let down. I wanted to see FLOGG!!!

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    In regards to NA or POP, a lot of people keep saying "we'll get them eventually," or "be patient." Uh, we're 4+ years into the line, and we have only 3NA figures. It's frustrating. Especially when all three of the NA figures have been well received, even by those who weren't fans. I totally get that they have to load up MOTU characters at the front of the year to sell the subscription, but we'll be lucky to get one NA figure next year, much less two. And I think that at a minimum we should be getting 2 POP and 2 NA characters per year. And to go back to the "be patient" mentality, there is no guarantee that this line is going to go for the next 6 years or whatever we would need to see the release of all the classic figures. I say that they should release the majority of the classic figures, then start giving us the filmation/200X/concept figures.

We should have had a Hydron in 2010-2011 at the latest. Where is my NA Hydron? Fans want NA figures at least two a year. Where are they?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    They just acquired it in 2011. Although they rushed Shadow Weaver to market in 2012, it takes a year to produce toys that we are just now seeing.

Fang Man, Filmation Randor, the Star Seed, the Time Window and Sword of the Ancients were all revealed today. And that's just the first quarter of the year! We have 3 quarters left to go.
    Strobo is also a part of this license as well people are forgetting that before they acquired the license he wasnt availble to be made even though we had all the parts made.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sailoruranus View Post
    In regards to NA or POP, a lot of people keep saying "we'll get them eventually," or "be patient." Uh, we're 4+ years into the line, and we have only 3NA figures. It's frustrating. Especially when all three of the NA figures have been well received, even by those who weren't fans. I totally get that they have to load up MOTU characters at the front of the year to sell the subscription, but we'll be lucky to get one NA figure next year, much less two. And I think that at a minimum we should be getting 2 POP and 2 NA characters per year. And to go back to the "be patient" mentality, there is no guarantee that this line is going to go for the next 6 years or whatever we would need to see the release of all the classic figures. I say that they should release the majority of the classic figures, then start giving us the filmation/200X/concept figures.
    ^THIS. There are so many NA and PoP figures left and so VERY FEW of them in the line, yet we keep hearing "be patient." It's especially bad, now that Mattel has Jetlag rights! SO many NA characters that are from the cartoon are important: Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Mara, Crita, NA Teela, Prince Adam, Gleep, UR, The Scientists, Wurban, Gorn (the beast farmer guy, might not be his name ), Gleanons, Galacimytes, etc.

That's a LOT of NA characters not even counting the 17 + figures. Yet, we have THREE NA figures. *sadness*

Same with PoP. SO many PoP females left from the toyline, plus FIlmation characters: Scorpia, Octavia, Sea Hawk, Swen, Vultak, Imp, Madame Razz & Broom, the 4 Twiggets, Melog (Fakes She-Ra), General Sundar, Dylamug, Kowl - Kowla - and Red Eye three pack (same basic body), False Face, Hunga the Harpy, Huntara, King Ahgo, Lohni, Prince Zed/Corporal Romeo, Mortella, Norwin, Red Knight, etc.

Grand Canyon full of PoP characters.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    We have 3 quarters left to go.
    Oh and we know a high percentage of what is coming in 2013 already, because of the reduced slots.

12 monthly figures: Netossa, Jitsu, Fang Man and Illumina OR Geldor, leaves only 8 slots

4 beast slots/variants: Ram Man, Fighting Foe Men, 25$, 50$

1 sub figure: King He-Man

1 travelling exclusive: Strobo

1 SDCC exclusive: to be announced

the way it is now, I'm VERY sure in the last 8 monthly slots we will see at least 4 vintage MotU characters, leaving 4 slot for filmation (that now gets the focus) NA, PoP, 200x, prototypes and concepts.

So, when do they plan to give us more diversity in this line?

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    Oh and we know a high percentage of what is coming in 2013 already, because of the reduced slots.

12 monthly figures: Netossa, Jitsu, Fang Man and Illumina OR Geldor, leaves only 8 slots

the way it is now, I'm VERY sure in the last 8 monthly slots we will see at least 4 vintage MotU characters, leaving 4 slot for filmation (that now gets the focus) NA, PoP, 200x, prototypes and concepts.

OUCH!

You are totally right

With Ram-Man being an oversized figure characters like Modulok, Multibot or Mermista are falling into the beast or variant slots for sure from now on.

I´m devasted by these simple facts....

Well there's nothing to say that more demand won't bring back the extra slots. Question is if there is more demand. They may change up the SKUs a lot for 2014 instead of just making it the same as 2013 as had been the practice the years before as well. One year may have six variants/beasts instead of just four.

I think I'm only discouraged by how long this means it'll take to get Horde Troopers and NA He-Man/Skeletor.

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's especially bad, now that Mattel has Jetlag rights! SO many NA characters that are from the cartoon are important: Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Mara, Crita, NA Teela, Prince Adam, Gleep, UR, The Scientists, Wurban, Gorn (the beast farmer guy, might not be his name ), Gleanons, Galacimytes, etc.

It gets too overwhelming when I think of the number of Jetlag characters that we probably won't ever see. The one aspect of NA that no on can argue with is that they had a very well developed cast of characters, rather than the one-off villain, stupid child, or starving peasant in the original MOTU cartoon. And while Fang Man and Shokoti are cool characters that I am happy to purchase, The screen time they had is a fraction of the screen time given to the Jetlag characters you mentioned. POP has this same problem (albeit to a lesser extent) with characters like Scorpia or Sea Hawk.

I really get irritated that Toyguru and the other folks at Mattel keep giving us freaking concept characters over characters that were pretty much present in every single episode of New Adventures. Every year I keep thinking that this will be the year that they finally start giving NA its due, and every year I'm disappointed.
    Last edited by sailoruranus; July 14, 2012 at 06:15pm.

Were the reveals great? Sure
    Were the reveals fairly balanced? Not at all.

Especially considering that Scott boasted that this round of reveals would be the most diverse to date.

4 vintage, 1 PoP, 1 Mini Comic, 3 FILMation, 1 200x, 4 concept characters.

Seems like they could have lost a concept character in favor of a NA character. Maybe replaced a MOTU FILMation character with a PoP FILMation character. And definitely replaced one overly saturated vintage figure with just about anything else.

And let's take a look at our 30th anniversary characters.
    4 Heroic Warriors, 1 Evil Warrior, 1 Horde...robot?

I think one each for the Heroic Warriors, Evil Warriors, Rebellion, Horde, Snakemen, and PoG would have been SO much more diverse, and so much more representative of the franchise as a whole.

But what do I know? I've just purchased 1 (or more) of each of these damned things every month since December 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I really hope everyone that complained about having to buy a three pack of "obscure" characters (Star Sisters) last year will raise unholy hell over this one.
    I doubt it.
    I think a lot of the fanbase are quite excited about FFM. and thats because at least half of the subscribers are into motu vintage primarily, not POP, even if I love the 80s line and I agree that they could save a pair of more slots for she-ravers and NA fans...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    I doubt it.
    I think a lot of the fanbase are quite excited about FFM. and thats because at least half of the subscribers are into motu vintage primarily, not POP, even if I love the 80s line and I agree that they could save a pair of more slots for she-ravers and NA fans...
    Or it could be because the FFM have lots of details, accessories and are mainly based off the source material people wanted...unlike the Star Sisters. They got the complete opposite: lost almost all their details and specialness, accessories, etc. The Star Sisters were not treated like 3 individual characters (as the FFM are). It was like a "how can we make this SUPER cheap?" set.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

they did make great rebellion stickers...maybe that's a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    thats because at least half of the subscribers are into motu vintage primarily, not POP,
    I dont know where people come up with these numbers? But theres no changing that I guess.

Were these reveals fair? NO! One more POP and an NA should have been there.

Personally, I think these 6 months worth of reveals have spoken volumes and many of the people who have foolishly bought into their plan to "release all vintage POP and all of NA except a few GG figures" are realizing how ridiculous that sounds at this rate. We are more than 2/3s done with vintage MOTU and not even 1/3 of the vintage POP figures have been made and like 1/6 of NA. It just doesnt add up and to throw this 6 month batch at us right at the time of subscription renewals was a mistake. Mattel will probably be learning a valuable lesson these next 4 weeks...despite the fake statistics some posters here provide, its not vintage MOTU fans that you have to please to sell subs, its the people who want it all. And they really didnt do much at all to inspire confidence in that group of people.

Of course when sub sales go down, they will probably squeeze in the final vintage MOTU figures and then call it a day.

Hopefully we see at least one more POP and NA figure during the powercon and NYCC reveals. And then reopen the sub...might be a good idea.

I love vintage MOTU just as much as the next guy, I do. But spread them out. I dont think the vintage MOTU-only fans sticking around are the key to this lines survival, I think sub sales are. And I'm worried about sub sales with these reveals.

I really do think it would be a mistake for POP fans to abandon the subs now. Agree, the subs are what's keeping MOTUC strong and viable and its the strength of the subs that will deliver fans their desired figures.

I'm sure there will be good numbers of POP coming over the next year. After all, if we look at things from Toyguru/Mattel's perspective (as opposed to our perspective as fans), there has already been a shift towards making more POP goodies and as the number of vintage MOTU rapidly diminishes that will continue.

So, if perchance we look at POP offerings over the last year or so from Mattel's perspective, we have:

2011: Bow (Feb), Catra (May), Bubble Power She-Ra (November), Swiftwind (November)
    2012: Jewellstar, Starla, Tallstar (January), Shadow Weaver (February), Horde Prime (June), Frosta (October, originally planned for August)
    2013: Netossa (January), ?

So from Mattel perspective we have 4 POP in 2011 (1 every 3 months), 6 POP in 2012 (1 every 2 months) and we kick off 2013 with a POP.

So the fans look at it from their specific perspective and say but there's only 1 vintage toy (and only 1 vintage Great Rebellion) figure in 2012 so we're being shafted. Probably not the case.

Seems to me there is great reason for folk to be patient. Could Matty have released one or two fewer vintage MOTU in 2012? Of course they could. Had they done so, equity would probably put the slots towards either NA or mini-comics. But when all is said and done, it seems to me the sense of grievance is resting on 1 or maybe 2 changed choices out of 28 or 29 2012 figures. Not a lot.

Hopefully fans will see this after the SDCC dust settles and still choose to support the subscription and thus the future of the all-encompasing MOTUC line.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I was really though we would get one or even two N/A figure reveals.
    I thought for the last remainder of 2012 we would get a Galactic Guardian.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I think they are trying to get vintage out of the way because its the vintage purists that make production runs so unpredictable. I would guess that its the vintage purists that will make a run on Stinkor or Fisto and make them a :30 sellout, but leave other figures to sit for days.

I think once the vintage figures are complete the line will shrink, as will subs, DOS purchases, and production figures will be much easier to gauge, because all that will be left will be completists or single faction fans.

Thats just my take on it.
    Its time for Electroid Love---ARAMESH in 2014!

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I really do think it would be a mistake for POP fans to abandon the subs now. Agree, the subs are what's keeping MOTUC strong and viable and its the strength of the subs that will deliver fans their desired figures.

I'm sure there will be good numbers of POP coming over the next year. After all, if we look at things from Toyguru/Mattel's perspective (as opposed to our perspective as fans), there has already been a shift towards making more POP goodies and as the number of vintage MOTU rapidly diminishes that will continue.

So, if perchance we look at POP offerings over the last year or so from Mattel's perspective, we have:

2011: Bow (Feb), Catra (May), Bubble Power She-Ra (November), Swiftwind (November)
    2012: Jewellstar, Starla, Tallstar (January), Shadow Weaver (February), Horde Prime (June), Frosta (October, originally planned for August)
    2013: Netossa (January), ?

So from Mattel perspective we have 4 POP in 2011 (1 every 3 months), 6 POP in 2012 (1 every 2 months) and we kick off 2013 with a POP.

So the fans look at it from their specific perspective and say but there's only 1 vintage toy (and only 1 vintage Great Rebellion) figure in 2012 so we're being shafted. Probably not the case.

Seems to me there is great reason for folk to be patient. Could Matty have released one or two fewer vintage MOTU in 2012? Of course they could. Had they done so, equity would probably put the slots towards either NA or mini-comics. But when all is said and done, it seems to me the sense of grievance is resting on 1 or maybe 2 changed choices out of 28 or 29 2012 figures. Not a lot.

Hopefully fans will see this after the SDCC dust settles and still choose to support the subscription and thus the future of the all-encompasing MOTUC line.
    Well, personally, if I decide not to sub up this year, it will be because of lukewarm interest in the 2013 reveals across the board, not because I'm boycotting in protest or something. I absolutely have no interest in Fighting Foe Men, so even if did decide I want everything else besides that, I'd probably still save money by not getting a sub. As is stands now, I could grab Netossa and Ram Man in January and be done for several months without losing a bit of sleep.

I respect the perspective you've presented on how things are going in general, I just can't say that I agree really. Even with the dwingling of vintage MOTU, I don't think we're going to see a significant increase in PoP. The numbers for 2012 are simply bloated because of a one-time three pack that we'll likely never see again. Honestly, I'd be suprised if we got 4 in 2013, which was on par with 2011.

On a side note: The statement you made about the fans feeling shafted but that not being the case seems kind of odd to me. If these PoP toys that you're referring to are being made pretty much solely for PoP fans, and the PoP fans aren't happy with the way Mattel's going about it..... shouldn't that matter? I mean, if we go by the last 7 releases that you mentioned (which I would take issue with, but we'll go with it), 4 are D listers, 1 is a C lister, and 2 are A listers. That doesn't seem like a good mix to me. I can understand trying to spread out the quality to keep the line going, but at the rate they are going, they could do nothing but A and B listers and be good for the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    ^THIS. There are so many NA and PoP figures left and so VERY FEW of them in the line, yet we keep hearing "be patient." It's especially bad, now that Mattel has Jetlag rights! SO many NA characters that are from the cartoon are important: Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Mara, Crita, NA Teela, Prince Adam, Gleep, UR, The Scientists, Wurban, Gorn (the beast farmer guy, might not be his name ), Gleanons, Galacimytes, etc.

That's a LOT of NA characters not even counting the 17 + figures. Yet, we have THREE NA figures. *sadness*

Same with PoP. SO many PoP females left from the toyline, plus FIlmation characters: Scorpia, Octavia, Sea Hawk, Swen, Vultak, Imp, Madame Razz & Broom, the 4 Twiggets, Melog (Fakes She-Ra), General Sundar, Dylamug, Kowl - Kowla - and Red Eye three pack (same basic body), False Face, Hunga the Harpy, Huntara, King Ahgo, Lohni, Prince Zed/Corporal Romeo, Mortella, Norwin, Red Knight, etc.

Grand Canyon full of PoP characters.
    there are too many irons in the fire.
    heroic 7 left
    evil 5 left
    horde 5 left
    snake men 4
    galactic protectors 7
    pop 12
    space mutants 7

plus filmation (lizard man, icer, batros, huntara, madame razz + broom, seahawk, entrapta, scorpia, strong arm, shokoti, lord masque, octavia.. to name just the most demanded and I forget a few - not counting variants)
    minicomic+ladybird (oo-larr, geldor, lodar, green and red demon, dakon, goatman...)
    some 200x (i dont know ehos left, maybe hawke,I was never really into it....anyway there are pretty much a half dozen)
    eldor
    cholo
    bandwidth
    red shadow
    beast lord
    gladiator
    im forgetting a few...
    Last edited by Delthaindia; July 15, 2012 at 06:36am.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    POP fans are jumping the ship
    International fans are keelhauled by the shipping and price hike
    Resellers can halve their amount of subscriptions and still get as much of the popular characters, since they now have early access

I think it's time for Mattel to rethink their subscription-based strategy.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

screw fairness, give me vintage!

...just goofing guys
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post

I hope you are wrong about 4 vintage MOTU. They need to give us maybe 2 more and use 6 slots for Filmation NA/POP. Then, if they are worried about interest, use some of those slots for highly demanded figures like:

Glimmer
    Hydron
    Scorpia
    Seahawk
    Flogg

But don't use all of them, mix in well known and obscure characters!!!!!!!!!!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    POP fans are jumping the ship
    International fans are keelhauled by the shipping and price hike
    Resellers can halve their amount of subscriptions and still get as much of the popular characters, since they now have early access

I think it's time for Mattel to rethink their subscription-based strategy.
    yep! with this pretty low euro, the hiking of mattels prices and custom a lot of people are thinking about remaining cherry pickers or become one.
    no good. at the end, next year, im going to pay a figure a almost 35 per cent more respect 2 years ago.
    too much.
    Last edited by Delthaindia; July 15, 2012 at 07:20am.

Fang Man, Filmation Randor, the Star Seed, the Time Window and Sword of the Ancients were all revealed today. And that's just the first quarter of the year! We have 3 quarters left to go.
    Where were these revealed?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!