Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Eternos Palace King Randor discussion thread

Wasn't exactly thrilled about a Filmation Randor figure really. I suppose I could consider this one as his court attire and the normal one is what he wears on the field. If there is to be a more MYP inspired variant, I definitely would consider that one to be his battle attire.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    I just got my EP King Randor today, and BOY am I underwhelmed.

Whenever fans have been asking for Filmation variants of He-Man or Skeletor, the reply usually was "Nope, weīre not going to add cartoony figures to the MOTUC lineup."
    Now they did. And what a waste of SKU in my oppinion... While it isnīt the overall look (I do admit I would have prefered any other Randor-variant over this one though), itīs the execution of this figure.

1) No details. I mean, really. NO details. Look at that belt. It looks like a third-rate customizer rolled some sculpey to a tube, pressed it flat and applied it to the waist. Thereīs no texture, no studs, no anything. HKC could do it better than this.
    2) A fully undetailed piece of sculpey leftovers for an amulet. This kind of stuff happens when I am not fast enough to use all my sculpey and it turns hard before I could make anything useful with it. And it even swings free in all the wrong places, if it werenīt attached to the body with a clear rubber string.
    3) And donīt get me started on the attire.
    4) What couldnīt technically be done in the cartoon - giving shiny golden objects a shiny golden color - is put to a sad extend here. They had to use yellow in the cartoon because technically it was just impossible for Filmation to use gold as a color. And see what we got with a threedimensional actionfigure? Yellow. To mimick the technical disadvantage of old days cartoons. Even though it was yellow in the cartoon doesnīt mean it was MEANT to be yellow.
    5) And here comes "design" (or the lack of...). Randor cannot sit. Heīs the Eternos Palace King that cannot sit on a throne. Why? Because the sturdy skirt limits his leg movement in a way that reduces him to a staction. With She-Ra we had to buy Bubble Power She-Ra, to make up for this design flaw. I cannot wait for the next Filmation-Randor variant. Maybe heīs called "Throneroom King Randor" then?
    Furthermore, thereīs no swivel at the biceps any more. Which, in addition to the crazy large puff sleeve, basically limits his arm movement to a simple up and down.
    After Terry left the design department, I have yet to hear a single good word on Rubenīs decissions. He appears to be in the wrong place, IMHO.
    6) Accessories. Nice to get the "golden" spear that due to the wrong color doesnīt match the first King Randor (who is the version that should have gotten the spear, with him being the MOTUC version of his vintage pendant). And is rather useless for this version of Randor. I donīt remember him fighting inside the palace with a spear a lot in the Filmation cartoon. In fact, I donīt remember him fighting AT ALL in the Filmation cartoon. If I think of Randor, I see him sitting on his throne, sitting at the dining table, standing at the dining table waiting for Adam, or running away. But at least the goblet kinda blends in with this vision of Randor.
    With the goblet, the bedroom slippers and the bathrobe, from now on I wonīt call him "Eternos Palace" King Randor, but "Eternos Taverns Randor, king of the bums".

Really, words cannot express how deeply underwhelmed I am with this figure. I am glad for all you Filmation fans that waited 29 years for this variant. But I find it very sad I had to be part of fulfilling your dream. Sounds egoistic? Well, yeah. It is. Sue me.

I don’t agree with all of your criticisms but I do see your point with most of them. I don’t see the sitting down thing as an issue because Queen Marlena can’t sit down either. I do agree about the gold color used. Maybe the amulet could have resembled the “cross” from the 1st randor’s armor, staff, and sword. And perhaps his belt could have been inspired by the same belt pretty much everyone else has (He-Man, etc.) It would have been more detailed than what we got and it would have added a consistency with the other figures.

Personally, I am torn between which Randor I like best. I guess the ideal Randor for me would be closer to the 1st version but with a hint of Filmation. I like how he looks like he’s ready for battle. But I think he looks a little too “barbarian” and a little too less “royal”. The perfect randor for me would be the 1st version but with flat abs (I hate the real abs for simulated armor), Preternian Disguise He-Man’s loin cloth, and Dekker’s boots. He would have the same basic look of the vintage figure and still look ready for battle but with a more “royal” look to him.

Last edited by FAKER II; December 4, 2012 at 04:14pm.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I think the problem is that all filmation characters were made to be simple for the cartoon. Usually the 4H add some extra detail to the figures, as they have been doing (for example Fang man). In this case Randor is simple, and also Marlena, but they didn't add any extra detail. They seem to be extracted from the cartoon, and I love it. But they could seem plain for others.

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    Don't care what anyone says Filmation Randor was my favorite figure of November.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Looks like he finally sold out!
    Or did they just realize they forgot to pull him a week ago?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Don't care what anyone says Filmation Randor was my favorite figure of November.
    I have to say despite his lack of posability, he is not overly bad aesthetically, and being Filmation isn't bad. I really like CGm over Randor because of his nods to Castle Grayskull, posability and his Vintage appearance. But with that said Randor is a decent addition to my collection, I don't own the original Vintage based one, but now with the Cyber Monday Marlena, my existing Adam & Adora....I finally have the Filmation based Royal family completed.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    At least, Fang Man will have more details... I also think, that Filmation Randor has to have more details... But he fits to Marlena, Adam and Adora, they also have no real details...

Iīm glad, that Castle Grayskullman made it into November, I personally don`t care for the other 2 November figures...

I gave his necklace to Marlena and then I tore him limb from limb with no particular custom in mind...and then a use for him came to me! Look for parts of Eternos Palace Randor to surface soon on my blog.

I absolutely love Eternos Randor. I am a fan of the old Filmation styles. I tend to prefer cleaner, simple figures to gaudy ones with all these burnt pieces and ripped capes and stuff. People seem to want Todd Macfarlane Spawn figures, but I tend to go for the cleaner ones. When a figure is so shaded and detailed that it looks dirty or chewed up, I don't really care for it. I couldn't really stand the 200X line for this very reason, just too much stuff on those figures for me, too many textures competing, too much shading, etc. Made everything look used, lol.

Umm... thereīs really SO much between Eternos Palace Randor and Todd McFarlane figures. MOTUC, for example.
    Examine Prince Adamīs belt. You will notice a fine leather texture sculpted in there. Examine EP King Randors belt. You will notice - nothing. Would it really have hurt so much to give his belt some additional details? It would have still been the slick and clean look, but with details that match most of the other MOTUC figures. Examine Adams belt buckle. Now examine Randors amulet. See any difference in the execution of this?
    The 4 Horsemen are Masters of the Sculptingverse. They can do better than that.

I really and honestly donīt mean this offensive, but seriously: Occasionally, people need to get past their Filmation nostalgia.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Oh no offense taken. And I was using the Mcfarlane toys as an extreme example based on what I perceive people liking on these boards. Veiny men with tons of charring and shading, broken wings, tattered cape pieces, etc. That is my perception...I also get the idea that people hate the Filmation line. But I maintain that Filmation is the reason why the series became so big.

I was introduced to He-Man through the mini comics, but was a HUGE fan of Fat Albert (Filmation), and so I was over the moon when the animated series was made.

Back on topic though, I do see what you mean. Randor could have used a bit of sculpting...maybe some Gold brocade around the lapels of his coat? Maybe some more shading on the legs, and an actual link chain for a necklace instead of some Christmas ornament string.

I'm sure this may have been mentioned before, but I can see someone using this body for a Filmation Count Marzo custom.
    Last edited by Saved; December 5, 2012 at 12:04pm.
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

Occasionally, people need to get past their Filmation nostalgia.
    Nope, not gonna happen....
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    See, the bolded words are exactly why I'm not a fan of Filmation designs. The whole idea of this toyline is to add detail and update some of the older figures. Yeah, they're recreations of the originals, but they have WAY more detail than the originals, in many cases. So when it comes to a Filmation look, we get...the least amount of detail possible? Why? Just like you said: To mimick the technical disadvantage of the old catroon. I don't see how that's appealing, and it's really lowering the potential of the PoP figures, especially. Figures that otherwise would be full of interesting detail get plain and smooth clothes because it was just simpler to draw for the cartoon.

Would people REALLY be against it if Filmation Randor would have had some detail on his belt? Maybe a regal trim around the coat? Something etched into his medalion? A gold color to match the previous Randor? I don't think we would have had complaints, and I honestly think we would have had more people on board with this goofy sucker if they had just done something other than recreate a design that was only dumbed down because of the limitations of the time.
    I agree with most of DJ Force's list and your comments, Alexx. To me, the way Mattel interpreted Randor from Filmation into MOTUC goes 100% against the way that Mattel argued they would not bring 200x or comic characters into the MOTUC line. Rather than interpret how the Filmation style would look when translated into MOTUC, Mattel basically just chose to interpret it as faithfully as possible. This one never saw the classicizer machine!!

It reminds me of action figures like the comic pack G.I. Joes and Star Wars figures Hasbro put out where the figures are given "comic book colored" paint jobs that make them stand out from every other figure in the line.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I agree with most of DJ Force's list and your comments, Alexx. To me, the way Mattel interpreted Randor from Filmation into MOTUC goes 100% against the way that Mattel argued they would not bring 200x or comic characters into the MOTUC line. Rather than interpret how the Filmation style would look when translated into MOTUC, Mattel basically just chose to interpret it as faithfully as possible. This one never saw the classicizer machine!!

It reminds me of action figures like the comic pack G.I. Joes and Star Wars figures Hasbro put out where the figures are given "comic book colored" paint jobs that make them stand out from every other figure in the line.
    I do agree with you for the most part, but in defense of Mattel, MOTUC is supposed to simply be updated from the vintage line, and in that style. If you think of the direct Filmation characters in the vintage line - Prince Adam, Orko, and the Sorceress, all those characters were pretty simple. So the Filmation Randor fits the same bill (as does Queen Marlena and Adora). Had Filmation Randor been in the vintage line, he'd probably have been simple too. I think this is a way Mattel escapes using outside influences, as Filmation already had influence in the vintage line - had Filmation Randor been made in the vintage line, he would have been plain like Adam or Orko were in 1983, and would have looked exactly like he does re-done in MOTUC.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Nope. No interest in this figure or his cup of purple poo whatsoever.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

i much prefer the 1st Randor "hangin' at the castle" Randor is a big snooze fest for me...

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I do agree with you for the most part, but in defense of Mattel, MOTUC is supposed to simply be updated from the vintage line, and in that style. If you think of the direct Filmation characters in the vintage line - Prince Adam, Orko, and the Sorceress, all those characters were pretty simple. So the Filmation Randor fits the same bill (as does Queen Marlena and Adora). Had Filmation Randor been in the vintage line, he'd probably have been simple too. I think this is a way Mattel escapes using outside influences, as Filmation already had influence in the vintage line - had Filmation Randor been made in the vintage line, he would have been plain like Adam or Orko were in 1983, and would have looked exactly like he does re-done in MOTUC.
    Fair enough. However, you give the best example against this theory yourself. Look at your MOTUC Prince Adam and the amount of detail that went into translating the slick Filmation/vintage look into MOTUC form. I would have expected no more no less than the same attention to detail with EP King Randor. But itīs just not there.
    Positivity, folks!

Shadow Weaver was a much wanted figure, but she don't even have legs, and can only hover about, and to me is not very detailed, but I have her anyway. Marlena as Marlena is not very detailed, there are many figures in the line that are meh about detailing, likability and really slow sell outs, but hey, lets focus on Filmation characters. There are even Vintage figures I dislike, do I care if they get made? Hell no, bring 'em on, I just won't buy them, it's that simple. This line is not personalized to an individual, or a group that thinks they are a majority, when it's like a small portion out of the MOTUC collectors as a whole. Just like whan sub time came the "majority" of "sub only, pickers be gone" people who thought they were a majority found out they alone didn't make a dent in the numbers. Just like 200X fans, Filmation fans want their wants, don't like it, don't know what to tell anyone except, the Filmation figures will come or would have came eventually (depending on how the line survives), so enjoy.

Don't like a faction or a line of figures, simply don't buy them or keep them, no one forces you to put them in your collection, and if your a completist, then you should be used to the possibility of getting a few figures you really don't want....But you're buying them to buy them anyway, so what does it matter what you get?

Horde Prime as he exists in Classics is from Filmation....does he look non detailed to anyone? Just because Randor may appear to be a more direct translation than most would or should be, doesn't mean they all will be, or have been. Does every bit of clothing or accessories you wear in a day have buckles, studs, gems or beading? I'll be willing to bet not.

And as far as POP figures go....I don't see any POP figures getting less details than any previously released, Frosta may not be perfect, but she is well detailed, hell even Octavia has detail. Look at Netossa, she is detailed, she may not get her Vintage mask, but she is detailed. So how is Filmation hurting POP, actually it's helping, since it was a Filmation spin off that even helped to start POP.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 5, 2012 at 02:54pm.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Snappy Threader
    I'm still loving this figure. I agree it could have a bit more articulation, but this is the Randor I have wanted for years, and it makes for an awesome display piece if nothing else. The cup of purple vomit is weird, but it looks good from a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I'm still loving this figure. I agree it could have a bit more articulation, but this is the Randor I have wanted for years, and it makes for an awesome display piece if nothing else. The cup of purple vomit is weird, but it looks good from a distance.
    According to some though, we're a "vocal minority", as opposed to a "silent majority" just because he didn't sell well....hardly the first MOTUC figure to ever do so. Usually they get pulled much sooner regardless of being sold out or not. I almost passed on him, but decided to buy him regardless, only because Randor is not an essential figure for me, not even the Vintage figure mattered, not because of detailing or anything.

Others don't like him, that's just fine, but their reasons for not liking him is more on the hating Filmation bias than anything else, and that's what is so annoying, yet don't bad mouth any other line or faction they might like.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Shadow Weaver was a much wanted figure, but she don't even have legs, and can only hover about, and to me is not very detailed, but I have her anyway. Marlena as Marlena is not very detailed, there are many figures in the line that are meh about detailing, likability and really slow sell outs, but hey, lets focus on Filmation characters. There are even Vintage figures I dislike, do I care if they get made? Hell no, bring 'em on, I just won't buy them, it's that simple. This line is not personalized to an individual, or a group that thinks they are a majority, when it's like a small portion out of the MOTUC collectors as a whole. Just like whan sub time came the "majority" of "sub only, pickers be gone" people who thought they were a majority found out they alone didn't make a dent in the numbers. Just like 200X fans, Filmation fans want their wants, don't like it, don't know what to tell anyone except, the Filmation figures will come or would have came eventually (depending on how the line survives), so enjoy.

Don't like a faction or a line of figures, simply don't buy them or keep them, no one forces you to put them in your collection, and if your a completist, then you should be used to the possibility of getting a few figures you really don't want....But you're buying them to buy them anyway, so what does it matter what you get?

Horde Prime as he exists in Classics is from Filmation....does he look non detailed to anyone? Just because Randor may appear to be a more direct translation than most would or should be, doesn't mean they all will be, or have been. Does every bit of clothing or accessories you wear in a day have buckles, studs, gems or beading? I'll be willing to bet not.

And as far as POP figures go....I don't see any POP figures getting less details than any previously released, Frosta may not be perfect, but she is well detailed, hell even Octavia has detail. Look at Netossa, she is detailed, she may not get her Vintage mask, but she is detailed. So how is Filmation hurting POP, actually it's helping, since it was a Filmation spin off that even helped to start POP.
    I have the impression that many of these points are aimed at me, so Iīll reply.

First, let me tell you that I am not strictly against Filmation characters. In fact, there are many Filmation characters Iīd love to get one day as MOTUC figures. From "heavy hitters" like Shokoti and Lord Masque, to rather obscure one-shots like Celice (still one of my all time favorite characters!) Itīs just that I want them to blend in with the rest of MOTUC figures, like the upcoming Fang Man. Who is - according to the pics Iīve seen - a perfect example of transporting a cartoon design to a highly detailed actionfigure.

As far as clothing and accessories I wear are concerned... To be fair let me tell you I am not a king, so my clothing standards might not be sufficient for a king. But when I think of kings, I think of jewelry, ornaments, trimming and anything that is pompous. Nothing of which can be seen at EP King Randor. But even the stuff I wear usually has a texture to it and is not a simple flat surface. And well, especially the belts that I occasionally put on do indeed have belt buckles. All of them.

Horde Prime... I thought he was a rather unique design for MOTUC. Wasnīt he just a robot hand in a cloud in the cartoon? And nope, heīs not undetailed. Certainly not. He has a very fine level of details all around and I like that. 
    Positivity, folks!

I am really, really disappointed by this figure. No details, strange design decisions, bad coloring, extremely limited articulation... It's just sad. I cannot even get angry. I so wanted a 200X Randor, and instead I get this.

I have the impression that many of these points are aimed at me, so Iīll reply.

First, let me tell you that I am not strictly against Filmation characters. In fact, there are many Filmation characters Iīd love to get one day as MOTUC figures. From "heavy hitters" like Shokoti and Lord Masque, to rather obscure one-shots like Celice (still one of my all time favorite characters!) Itīs just that I want them to blend in with the rest of MOTUC figures, like the upcoming Fang Man. Who is - according to the pics Iīve seen - a perfect example of transporting a cartoon design to a highly detailed actionfigure.

As far as clothing and accessories I wear are concerned... To be fair let me tell you I am not a king, so my clothing standards might not be sufficient for a king. But when I think of kings, I think of jewelry, ornaments, trimming and anything that is pompous. Nothing of which can be seen at EP King Randor. But even the stuff I wear usually has a texture to it and is not a simple flat surface. And well, especially the belts that I occasionally put on do indeed have belt buckles. All of them.

Horde Prime... I thought he was a rather unique design for MOTUC. Wasnīt he just a robot hand in a cloud in the cartoon? And nope, heīs not undetailed. Certainly not. He has a very fine level of details all around and I like that. 
    Fang Man is a nice interpretation, and as I said Randor yes, could have been a little better. And no, not directly aimed at you. Horde Prime was a huge hand, and a black and red outline, which the MOTUC figure was based on, mostly the helmet & shoulders of the cape, but still Filmation based.

And the accessory comment wasn't towards you at all, but directed towards a general consensus that everything must be extremely detailed, Randor didn't wear studded and bedazzled up attire in the cartoon, therefore he didn't need it as a figure. And I wear belts too, just not everyday. A King really doesn't need fancy things everyday in order to sit on his throne with family....Now as far as a Royal look and bedazzling, that is what the Vintage Randor is for. Only the fact he'd have a fancy robe under his cape instead of armor. Granted Randor looks more to fit in with fast food nowadays, but Burger King didn't use that mascot back in the 80's, and Who's to say they didn't steal the idea from Filmation anyway.

But no, I was more directing comments at all those who are against anything Filmation, no matter who or what it is. But yet, don't complain about something they may like, then the world ends. One thing is, I will directly quote anyone who I am directing anything to, except to be sarcastic....I wasn't aiming at you. Honestly I really didn't read your posts enough to rebut.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; December 5, 2012 at 04:50pm.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

I know a lot of people don't like him & think he's a flop. But I really like him. Yes, I would have done a couple things differently. However, this Randy has been 30 years coming. I had the vintage toy, but this is the Randor I need for the Queen, Adam & Adora. When I get the regular one, he'll go with the Masters. Still want a Captain Randor, but very happy I have a Filmation one.

I wish he would have came with the map marked "Greyskull" fom the "Shaping Staff" who let that typo slip?
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes