Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DreamWorks acquires Classic Media - What does that mean for MOTUC? [Updated]

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

DreamWorks acquires Classic Media - What does that mean for MOTUC? [Updated]

Just read this article on Cartoon Brew - http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/d....html#comments

If they managed it, then Dreamworks would own Filmation rights. Now I'm probably being a bit thick, but would Mattel have to do a new contract to use the Filmation rights for the MOTUC figures, or would it carry over?

It also begs the question, would Dreamworks be inline to make a MOTU movie, an animated one?

--

7/23/2012: Edit from TheShadow:

DreamWorks buys Classic Media
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/2...-gumby-casper/
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

It means that when I get rich it will be much harder for me to buy the filmation rights!

The deal would likely carry over, Mattel would just have to make the licence cheques out to dreamworks instead of classic media.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Interesting. Curious to see how this all plays out.

Here's the Variety article:

DreamWorks Animation is in talks to acquire Classic Media for more than $150 million.
    While DWA and Classic Media have declined to comment, sources close to the situation confirmed to Variety that the offer has been made.

Should the deal close, DWA would own a vast library of characters, including Archie, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Waldo of "Where's Waldo?," Voltron, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, the VeggieTales characters, Lassie and the Lone Ranger -- the last of which is being turned into a bigscreen actioner by Jerry Bruckheimer at Disney.

Gotham-based Classic Media also owns "Veggie Tales" producer Big Idea Entertainment.

Classic Media's characters are exploited mostly through consumer products and licensing deals, primarily because it doesn't own other elements like film or TV rights to all the characters. That could pose a problem for DWA down the line, but the privately owned company generated $376 million last year through licensing.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056639?refCatId=13

Article is a little funny, claiming DWA would "own" these characters. Someone may want to inform mattel about that if true lol if only skeletor had the foresight to buy classic media first! This could be cool tho, of course, it could be bad
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Selling a company (or part of) doesn't negate it's current contracts/agreements, so Mattel should still have rights to Filmation (unless there was a clause in the agreement). I hope Dreamworks does something this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Article is a little funny, claiming DWA would "own" these characters. Someone may want to inform mattel about that if true lol if only skeletor had the foresight to buy classic media first! This could be cool tho, of course, it could be bad
    They would own the Filmation characters, just as Classic Media owns them right now.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Selling a company (or part of) doesn't negate it's current contracts/agreements, so Mattel should still have rights to Filmation (unless there was a clause in the agreement). I hope Dreamworks does something this.
    Although we don't know the specifics, there surely was a time limit on Mattel's license. That's why it's a license, not ownership. Basically, Mattel is renting the rights to Filmation to produce figures, but it could be for 2 years or 20, we don't know. Assuming it's on the lower end of the scale (3-5 years) but have no hard data to back that up, just my assumption.

Dreamworks coming for those She-Ra entertainment rights. #trackingthesuccessofbrave /Delusional

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Hmmmm actually you might not be too crazy. They do lack a female orientated cartoon.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

I don't think it would mean anything for Classics or a movie. Sony owns film rights and DW buying Classic Media would be the same way the deal is currently structured. It would just mean a new landlord in a sense. It would be awesome if they did get to do a cg film but it is beyond unlikely.

$150 Million for the WHOLE library?? Mattel should have BOUGHT the rights then sold the rest of it off as a profit...I don't get why they would not want to OWN their property listen Filmation created them yes but they created them for the MOTU Universe so why would you not want them forever??

Hate to do this but Hasbro BOUGHT all of their properties now they can do whatever they want without forking over money to produce something...

Heroic Warrior
    You would have thought that a forward thinking exec at Mattel would have secured the rights to two of their most significant properties a long time ago. But, it is Mattel.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    A completely CGI Animated Masters of the Universe Movie? (Think Shrek / How to train your Dragon / Kung Fu Panda, but MUCH more adult oriented....)
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    Hasbro dont own everything in fact Classic Media right now owns Transformers Animated and Disney owns Transformers Robots in Disguise
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I hope this doesn't affect the movie that Sony Pictures is putting together. I don't want an animated MOTU film. That would be a cop-out. A bit like TMNT. It was good at the time, but in hindsight WB should never have made it and instead should have resurrected TMNT on the silver screen properly.

This shouldn’t be happing, anyway. As has been said before Mattel should own everything to with MOTU, or at least the juiciest bits (like Filmation).

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    A completely CGI Animated Masters of the Universe Movie? (Think Shrek / How to train your Dragon / Kung Fu Panda, but MUCH more adult oriented....)
    Nooooooooooooooooooo! I don't want to imagine a He-Man or She-Ra done in that gawd-awful Dreamworks caricature they do with their human animations or that stupid signature smirk they always put them in on every cover/ad/poster etc. I'm seeing Cringer, Swiftwind, and that transforming robot horse form Bravestarr making that face now *shudders*
    Last edited by theblock; July 17, 2012 at 07:26pm. Reason: double post
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, can't wait to see what happens

I just hope that this doesn't pressure Sony into pushing out a Masters movie too fast; with the pressure and knowledge of DW waiting for the license to expire, we could get a major flop.
    I don't believe DW would tamper with the Classics line should they become the new landlord cause if they see the success this line has been they may help urge Mattel to step their game up!
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

i hope that about dreamworks is confirmed , I feel sony is dangerously slow about the movie project .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    i hope that about dreamworks is confirmed , I feel sony is dangerously slow about the movie project .
    ^ We have to remember that this is DreamWorks Animation. I don’t want a MOTU film by the way of How To Train Your Dragon.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooo! I don't want to imagine a He-Man or She-Ra done in that gawd-awful Dreamworks caricature they do with their human animations or that stupid signature smirk they always put them in on every cover/ad/poster etc. I'm seeing Cringer, Swiftwind, and that transforming robot horse form Bravestarr making that face now *shudders*
    I'm not familiar with this smirk. Pictures?

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    On one hand, Dreamworks is a power house in animation and if they wanted to make a He-man movie, it would happen in a heart beat. Granted, your going to see a CGI Masters of the Universe and it might be a kiddiefied but it would get out there in a big way.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    Jesus orko with the dream works grin, the Sony movie is dead, I don't care what is said its dead in the water

An animated film is more likely sadly with DW behind it really will pander to kids. Though sony may own the moth rights it does not have the she ra ones. And could an animated she ra work without the connection to motu
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    It also begs the question, would Dreamworks be inline to make a MOTU movie, an animated one?
    That's exactly what I first thought !

And I still believe that a MOTU animated movie, if done properly, would look cooler and would fit better MOTU's fantasy world than a movie with human actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    Gotham-based Classic Media also owns "Veggie Tales" producer Big Idea Entertainment.
    Gotham? Thats a real place now, or what does that mean?