Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skeletor, Hordak ,or King Hiss. Who do you think gives He-Man more trouble in combat?

Skeletor, Hordak ,or King Hiss. Who do you think gives He-Man more trouble in combat?

Whenever He-Man physically fights one of the main three boss villains, who do you think gives him the most trouble out of the trio of Skeletor, Hordak , and King Hiss ?

I know many of you are probably wondering how does this topic relates to the MOTUC toys, thinking it should be in another forum, but you'll see how it relates in a moment .

As for the topic at hand , I say KING HISS gives He-Man the most trouble in a fight and I'll give the following reasons as of why .

( 1 ) When Hiss and He-Man first met in the mini comics, Hiss was able to knock He-Man out cold with his sleep mist . Hordak or Skeletor usually miss He-Man with their attacks, but Hiss got him on his first strike .

( 2 ) Snake Armor He-Man. Question . Why does He-Man need special armor against King Hiss ? He does not need special armor against Skeletor or Hordak, just his regular battle vest . But against King Hiss he needs special armor . This alone tells me that Hiss gives He-man the most trouble in a fight than the other two. Now here's where the TOY DISCUSSION part of this thread comes in . When the Snake armor He-Man/King Hiss two pack are finally released, will the BIOS explain why does He-Man need a special snake armor against King Hiss? My guess /assumption is that since King Hiss eats people, he will not be able to eat He-Man because the armor will prevent Hiss teeth from tearing at the the flesh, even though He-Man's skin should be rock hard anyway because of the power of Grayskull protecting him. Will the bios explain why the armor is needed? We'll see .

( 3 ) In one of the Mike Young Productions episodes, King Hiss says something like this to He-Man while battling him " ( I've known King Grayskull, I've fought King Grayskull, and you He-Man is no King Grayskull !!! ) This is Hiss bragging to He-Man himself that King Grayskull gave him a better fight, to He-Man's face. Strong words there from Hiss to He-Man .

That's it for now. Even though Skeletor is always He-Man's main enemy , and probably his biggest headache, he is NOT the toughest competitor in a fight for He-Man out of the big three. That honor for reasons I've listed above belongs to King Hiss.

So what do you think ? Out of the trio of Skeletor, Hordak and King Hiss, who gives He-Man the most trouble in a fight in your opinion and why ?
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Heroic Warrior
    I agree. King Hsss is by far the worst enemy for He-Man. And i love the way he always is mocking He-Man, while he gives him the beating of his life:

Interesting points.

King Hssss certainly poses a great challenge to He-Man, and the point about needing special armour is an apt one.

However, it could be argued that even on that front, Skeletor gives He-Man the greater headache. He-Man needs to constantly update his armour and powers to keep up with Skeletor. Battle Armour vs. Battle Armour; Flying Fists vs. Terror Claws; Thunder Punch to counter Dragon Blast - ultimately it requires Laser Power to take out Laser Light. Skeletor is the foe that keeps He-Man hopping.

Also, Skeletor is the foe that it takes He-Man the longest to defeat. King Hssss gave his fair share of trouble and hardship, but he was ultimately taken out by outsourcing to Orko. Skeletor required the direct approach.

What strikes me the most about this is how much Hordak ends up on the sidelines. Hordak troubled He-Man only incidentally, really. He was a problem for King Grayskull, and a problem for She-Ra . . . he was even a problem for the Royal Family, Man-at-Arms, et al, but He-Man rarely had to deal with him. Hordak even meets his end at Skeletor's hands according to the Classics storyline.

I think King Hssss represents the best example of a new and powerful obstacle for He-Man - the trial by fire that tests and tempers him - but in the long game, I think Skeletor is still the toughest competitor. He takes the longest to defeat, and he takes the most out of He-Man in order to do it.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Interesting points.

King Hssss certainly poses a great challenge to He-Man, and the point about needing special armour is an apt one.

However, it could be argued that even on that front, Skeletor gives He-Man the greater headache. He-Man needs to constantly update his armour and powers to keep up with Skeletor. Battle Armour vs. Battle Armour; Flying Fists vs. Terror Claws; Thunder Punch to counter Dragon Blast - ultimately it requires Laser Power to take out Laser Light. Skeletor is the foe that keeps He-Man hopping.

Also, Skeletor is the foe that it takes He-Man the longest to defeat. King Hssss gave his fair share of trouble and hardship, but he was ultimately taken out by outsourcing to Orko. Skeletor required the direct approach.

What strikes me the most about this is how much Hordak ends up on the sidelines. Hordak troubled He-Man only incidentally, really. He was a problem for King Grayskull, and a problem for She-Ra . . . he was even a problem for the Royal Family, Man-at-Arms, et al, but He-Man rarely had to deal with him. Hordak even meets his end at Skeletor's hands according to the Classics storyline.

I think King Hssss represents the best example of a new and powerful obstacle for He-Man - the trial by fire that tests and tempers him - but in the long game, I think Skeletor is still the toughest competitor. He takes the longest to defeat, and he takes the most out of He-Man in order to do it.
    Great analysis there about He-Man having to counter act Skeletor in armor and power upgrades. Good point made I never thought of that until you mentioned it.

I also agree with you on Hordak giving the likes of K. Grayskull and She-Ra trouble but barely He-Man . Also thanks for the pic GRANAMYR80 that is an excellent way to visualize my words of Hiss giving He-Man the most trouble in combat .
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Heroic Warrior
    Much as I like Skeletor, I honestly feel he's not a contender hear at all. I mean, between the mini comics, Filmation, and MYP, he had tons of shots at He-Man, and he was soundly beaten over and over and over (often pathetically so). Rarely did he actually seem to pose a legitimate threat to He-Man.

Hordak didn't really fight He-Man that much. I think he sort of did okay in the mini comics, but that's about it. He seemed extremely formidable in fighting King Grayskull in MYP though, but that was like, his only appearance. On the other hand, Hordak shows up tons in PoP, and like Skeletor, he has many battles with She-Ra, and also like Skeletor, suffers many embarrassing defeats. In fact, She-Ra even goes out of her way to save him at least a few times. It seems pretty clear he is really not a threat to her at all, and likewise I doubt he'd be a threat to He-Man.

Now, King Hiss, in MYP, is a freaking beast. I mean, he doesn't crush He-Man, but he puts up some good fights. He takes out the Sorceress as well (and Skeletor, though I'd like to think home field advantage helped there). In the mini comics he seemed like a respectable threat. In the new DC Comics, he was probably even deadlier than in MYP (of course, in the new comics it looks like Hordak is probably meant to be above him, but we haven't seen Hordak do much yet. Also, he's significantly different from his past incarnations).

So my conclusion is that overall, accounting for the major forms of media that these guys appear in (at least, to the best of my recollection), I feel that Hiss is consistently shown as the most dangerous in an actual fight, followed by Hordak, and then Skeletor.

I still like Skeletor the best though.

That's kinda how I feel about it.

Skeletor is power-hungry.
    Hordak is a tyrant.
    But Hssss is cruel.

If we're talking about combat, Skeletor might fight the most dirty, Hordak might fight with the most sheer power, but Hssss is going to do horrible things.

Well when it comes to new adventure Karatti was the one that almost defeated NA He-Man!!
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Interesting points.

This sums up how I feel exactly.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    If Skeletor is He-Man's Joker, then Hordak would be He-Man's Ra's Al Ghul. I think Hordak would give He-Man the most trouble in combat. In MYP, Hordak didn't even have to move to deal with King Grayskull. That was how powerful he was.

Hordak beat King Hsss back in Preternia and both Hsss AND Skeletor feared him returning.

I'd say Skeletor is He-Man's most persistent and common foe; he knows He-Man and the Masters the best since he's fought them the longest and what he lacks in power compared to the other two villains, he makes up for in tenacity.

King Hsss is in the middle.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottie View Post
    Well when it comes to new adventure Karatti was the one that almost defeated NA He-Man!!
    If we go beyond the big three, there are a lot of villains (independent or minions) that gave He-Man a run for his money:
    Independent (or not associated with the big three) villains:

- Count Marzo (both Filmation and MYP versions, but especially the second one. He defeated He-Man and the Heroic Warriors all alone, in their encounter).
    - Shokoti (she was ready to sacrifice He-Man to her Beast if it wasn't for that kid).
    - Evilseed (both Filmation and MYP version, but especially the Filmation one. It was needed an alliance between He-Man and Skeletor, for taking him down).
    - Lodar (in the mini comic he was a formidable opponent for He-Man)

As for the villains allied to the big three:
    - Evil-Lyn
    - Shadow Weaver
    - Tri-Klops (all his versions, except the Filmation one which butchered his character)
    - Tuvar and Badra
    - Karatti and Quakke from the New Adventures.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 12, 2014 at 10:08am.

Cool question. I guess it depends on what villain you like the most. FYI Filmation is the foundation for my canon.

For me this is the way I now view the 3 main bad guys and historical counterparts

- Skeletor: He is the magical enemy. He owns land and his own country/hemisphere. He is a planner and careful to only strike when ready with force and an advantage. I see him being more like a Josef Stalin. He will abuse his people and will kill someone who tries to usurp him. He will rule for a long time and cause a ton of trouble. His strength lies in his mind and his willingness to adapt. He challenges He-man intellectually more than anything else.

- Hordak: He is the technological enemy. He relies on his technological might to conquer and rule. (There is no Horde Prime commanding Hordak in my canon) Magic is something he knows exists and has a basic understanding of it but leaves it to lesser beings like Shadow Weaver and her Wraiths. He was able to prolong his life through technology and believes that is the only way. The early Roman Emperors (like Julius Caesar) or even Adolf Hitler's military. He challenges He-man in his trust of his friends and sister, because he isn't technologically adapt and can't just ride in and save the day.

- King Hssss: He is the muscle enemy but very cunning. He believes in might makes right. He is crafty and uses hostages and underhanded ways to get his way. No strategy is below him. He is more of a modern day terrorist leader. His group of radicals pop-up and cause havoc all while trying to regain past glory. He challenges he-man more on an emotional and brute strength level.

Uhmm I dont see King Hiss that much of a menace , as we've seen in "awaken of the serpent" he's just a bunch of snakes that he-man can kill with his sword very easily. But I really like the new take on the character in the DC comics

Skeletor, on the other hand, has always been inferior to Hordak to me, I mean its a respectful foe but he has not always been total evil (thinkin of keldor's years) unlike Hordak. There's had always been something good within him (do you mind the x mas special?).

So my top choice is Hordak, he was already an hard-to-beat enemy for king grayskull (myp, power of grayskull) , and eventually she-ra cant beat Hordak all alone, I think both the twins of power would be needed to kick properly the Horde Empire
    Last edited by Triklops 1; September 12, 2014 at 04:51pm.
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

Skeletor is always He-Man's greatest threat.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If Skeletor is He-Man's Joker, then Hordak would be He-Man's Ra's Al Ghul. I think Hordak would give He-Man the most trouble in combat. In MYP, Hordak didn't even have to move to deal with King Grayskull. That was how powerful he was.

Hordak beat King Hsss back in Preternia and both Hsss AND Skeletor feared him returning.

I'd say Skeletor is He-Man's most persistent and common foe; he knows He-Man and the Masters the best since he's fought them the longest and what he lacks in power compared to the other two villains, he makes up for in tenacity.

King Hsss is in the middle.

THIS...

Hordak for me has always been the ultimate evil. His power is evident as he has subjugated countless worlds in service of the Horde. Even in the commercials for the vintage toy, it talks about he is the thing that even Skeletor fears, and he also managed to force the Snake Men into retreat and hibernation. I"ll never buy into the classics story having Skeletor defeat Hordak. Skeletor may have gotten the upper hand, but in my mind it would take the power of all the heirs of Grayskull to defeat him!
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Hordak is more powerful, but Skeletor has heart. King Hiss? I think not. I have to go with Skeletor, you can beat him a thousand ways and he will keep coming back. In that sense, Skeletor is a great role model for children.
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Heroic Podcaster
    Where is that art from?
    QUEEN ANGELLA! - BLAST ATTAK! - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - Flying Fists He-Man
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MULTI-BOT! - NINJOR! - Peekablue
    Perfuma - Rotar - Saurod - SSSQUEEZE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Where is that art from?
    The new DC comic books.
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Heroic Warrior
    Hsss was never defeated by He-Man in direct battle so far. In the MYP series, it was only Zodak that actually defeated him. In the Classic Canon He-Man needed to make a dangerous journey in Preeternia for getting the Spell of Seperation in order to defeat Hsss. In the DC comics Hsss defeated He-Man really badly, and he was saved only because of Teela's sacrifice and by her later intervention as the new Sorceress. Also Hsss has inflicted the most damage to the Heroic Warriors in the various canons. In the Classic Canon he killed the Sorceress, and was responsable for Duncan's downfall. In the DC comics he was the mind behind King Grayskull's death, and he killed Randor. And among the MOTU villains he was the only one that he arrived closer to take over the magical Power of Eternia (the Crystal Orb in the MYP series, the Starseed in the DC comics).

Hordak is very powerful there is no doubt for this, but at the end he is just an occasional enemy for Eternia. An Emperor, a conqueror, from another world. But every time that he set foot on Eternia he was defeated. Or by Randor in the Filmation Cartoon. Or by Skeletor in the Classic Canon. Or by King Grayskull in the MYP series and the DC comic:

Skeletor among the three is the most charismatic and the most motivated, ambitious and power hungry. He is ruling half of the planet, and he has the talent to always survive defeat and coming back one way or another, always stronger. But at the same time he is the younger and less experienced. He doesn't have Hordak's resources or the respect and loyalty from his warriors like Hsss has from the Snake Men. Basically Skeletor is a Dark Lord in formation. He has not arrived there yet. But he has the potential to surpass the other two.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    My thoughts are similar to granamyr80.

I would go with Hsss being the most dangerous in a planned attack for the simple reasons he’s been around the longest and has the most experience, he has learned to better analyse his opponents to find their weaknesses and uses ancient magic that Power of Grayskull magic may not be the best at countering. His ability to inhabit the bodies of others would also allow him to attack He-Man at a time when he least expects it.

Hordak might be the next in deadliness and perhaps the most dangerous in a random encounter as he may be the most powerful of the three foes and the most versatile in attack due to his technological shape-changing abilities. He would probably give He-Man more trouble than he would his sister She-Ra, as she is more aware of Hordak’s capabilities, mannerisms and tactics from having been brought up by him as Adora/Despara. She should therefore be better able to counter and take advantage of his moves.

Skeletor would perhaps be the least deadly, due to his relative inexperience compared to Hsss and Hordak, and because He-Man knows him best. Nevertheless, he may be He-Man’s greatest long-term threat due to his desire to be the Master of the Universe at any cost and his all-out drive to defeat He-Man. He is also the foe that causes the most trouble for He-Man through his numerous schemes to conquer Eternia and Castle Grayskull.
    Last edited by Robin Hood; September 13, 2014 at 08:20am. Reason: Add bold highlights.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

You know what? I think he-man still need to have a real big baddie just like the avengers have ultron or superman has darkseid, or the x-men with apocalypse

I hope and pray the new creative artists behind mattel playground productions will push forward the brand and create more menacing villains, because harder is the villain, funnier is the fight to watch !

I still like the concept of the Unnamed One but for sure not in the way shown in the motuc canon, I mean gorpo cant be the ultimate villain for he-man, but for orko or uncle montork at least!

There's still need for me to create the ultimate villain for our heroic warriors, anyway based on the myth so far here's my top rank:

1°) Horde Prime, Hordak and all the Horde Empire put together
    2°) King Hiss and the snakemen, they operate on Eternia only but thy've managed to reach a lot of knowlledge on the Eternians during centuries of history and multiple wars
    3°) Skeletor and crew, are relatively new ans still with a lot to learn, after all skelly its just the apprentice of hordak and both he and evil lyn are not pure evil, but they're the factions destined to lose most of the battles beacuse of lack of experience
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by triklops1 View Post
    You know what? I think he-man still need to have a real big baddie just like the avengers have ultron or superman has darkseid, or the x-men with apocalypse

I hope and pray the new creative artists behind mattel playground productions will push forward the brand and create more menacing villains, because harder is the villain, funnier is the fight to watch !

I still like the concept of the Unnamed One but for sure not in the way shown in the motuc canon, I mean gorpo cant be the ultimate villain for he-man, but for orko or uncle montork at least!

There's still need for me to create the ultimate villain for our heroic warriors, anyway based on the myth so far here's my top rank:

1°) Horde Prime, Hordak and all the Horde Empire put together
    2°) King Hiss and the snakemen, they operate on Eternia only but thy've managed to reach a lot of knowlledge on the Eternians during centuries of history and multiple wars
    3°) Skeletor and crew, are relatively new ans still with a lot to learn, after all skelly its just the apprentice of hordak and both he and evil lyn are not pure evil, but they're the factions destined to lose most of the battles beacuse of lack of experience
    Personally i believe that the three major MOTU villains are powerful enough to overpower the Justice League or the Avengers. Skeletor in the DC vs MOTU crossover he took out the whole Justice League (except Batman of course, because the Bat God is always prepared), all alone:

And he turned pre-Crisis Superman to his puppet during their first encounter.

As for the Unnamed One, he was supposed to be the Ultimate Evil in the MOTU Universe, but he turned out a joke. Can you immagine the floating gremlin trying to explain to Hsss, that he is his master? King Hsss will shallow the pure thing for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    Skeletor is a great role model for children.
    No need for the rest of your quote, this is perfect!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by christop View Post
    Skeletor, Hordak ,or King Hiss. Who do you think gives He-Man more trouble in combat?
    King Hsss...because He-Man hates snakes.

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If you look at all the characters over the various media incarnations - comics, video, games, cartoons...it's Skeletor, followed very closely by King Hsss.

In all the various canons, Skeletor is always the most cunning and is always the last one standing. He-Man's final battle will always be against Skeletor.

King Hsss is the most successful villain on Eternia that we've seen. In the mini-comic he ruled a lot of the galaxy, he conquered most of Eternia before being stopped by the Elders. In MYP and the Classics canon he ruled Eternia for a few centuries. He killed Zodak's brother, and almost killed the Sorceress in MYP, did kill her in classics, and is responsible for MAA's death in classics.

He-Man exists because of Skeletor though. The Elders, King Grayskull, MAA, Randor, the Sorceress, all stop King Hsss and Hordak, but no one can stop Skeletor except He-Man.

I love Hordak but he's been overrated since the MYP cartoon portrayal.

In Filmation all it took was Randor, MAA, and the Sorceress to stop him. Hordak as also defeated multiple times by Skeletor in Filmation.

In MYP Skeletor was going to stop him. In the classics canon Skeletor again stops him. In the mini-comics I always interpreted it that the Horde as able to rise to prominence after the snake men were imprisoned. That's why King Hsss as surprised the Horde were still around.

I love all three, and I'd honestly rate King Hsss and Hordak about equal, but looking at their various histories, King Hsss is the more successful villain than Hordak in my opinion.

Skeletor is the guy though. He'll outlast the other two, he always defeats Hordak, and he's the reason He-Man (and a case can be made for She-Ra too) exists.

That's how I look at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Hsss was never defeated by He-Man in direct battle so far. In the MYP series, it was only Zodak that actually defeated him. In the Classic Canon He-Man needed to make a dangerous journey in Preeternia for getting the Spell of Seperation in order to defeat Hsss. In the DC comics Hsss defeated He-Man really badly, and he was saved only because of Teela's sacrifice and by her later intervention as the new Sorceress. Also Hsss has inflicted the most damage to the Heroic Warriors in the various canons. In the Classic Canon he killed the Sorceress, and was responsable for Duncan's downfall. In the DC comics he was the mind behind King Grayskull's death, and he killed Randor. And among the MOTU villains he was the only one that he arrived closer to take over the magical Power of Eternia (the Crystal Orb in the MYP series, the Starseed in the DC comics).

Hordak is very powerful there is no doubt for this, but at the end he is just an occasional enemy for Eternia. An Emperor, a conqueror, from another world. But every time that he set foot on Eternia he was defeated. Or by Randor in the Filmation Cartoon. Or by Skeletor in the Classic Canon. Or by King Grayskull in the MYP series and the DC comic:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...-2-3-5ebab.jpg

Skeletor among the three is the most charismatic and the most motivated, ambitious and power hungry. He is ruling half of the planet, and he has the talent to always survive defeat and coming back one way or another, always stronger. But at the same time he is the younger and less experienced. He doesn't have Hordak's resources or the respect and loyalty from his warriors like Hsss has from the Snake Men. Basically Skeletor is a Dark Lord in formation. He has not arrived there yet. But he has the potential to surpass the other two.
    I agree with this too.

It's also the way stories are told. Skeletor is introduced at the main villain, then later on here's two new villains (Hordak and King Hsss). "Look at how powerful they are!" Skeletor is moved to the background for a bit, then ultimately he comes back stronger.

That is Skeletor's M.O. He is easily the most intelligent and cunning of the three. Skeletor uses technology and magic with equal skill.

Skeletor will always be He-Man's toughest adversary.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; September 12, 2014 at 08:58pm.

Based on media, I would definitely say King Hiss has given He-Man the most trouble as he would need special armor as stated. Filmation had to heed to the mandate that 80s cartoon villains have to be a complete joke. MYP was allowed to make the baddies more threatening and too bad the show ended before we got to see why everyone on Eternia was afraid of Hordak.