Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DreamWorks acquires Classic Media - What does that mean for MOTUC? [Updated]

Hybrid View

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

DreamWorks acquires Classic Media - What does that mean for MOTUC? [Updated]

Just read this article on Cartoon Brew - http://www.cartoonbrew.com/classic/d....html#comments

If they managed it, then Dreamworks would own Filmation rights. Now I'm probably being a bit thick, but would Mattel have to do a new contract to use the Filmation rights for the MOTUC figures, or would it carry over?

It also begs the question, would Dreamworks be inline to make a MOTU movie, an animated one?

--

7/23/2012: Edit from TheShadow:

DreamWorks buys Classic Media
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/2...-gumby-casper/
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

It means that when I get rich it will be much harder for me to buy the filmation rights!

The deal would likely carry over, Mattel would just have to make the licence cheques out to dreamworks instead of classic media.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Interesting. Curious to see how this all plays out.

Here's the Variety article:

DreamWorks Animation is in talks to acquire Classic Media for more than $150 million.
    While DWA and Classic Media have declined to comment, sources close to the situation confirmed to Variety that the offer has been made.

Should the deal close, DWA would own a vast library of characters, including Archie, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Waldo of "Where's Waldo?," Voltron, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, the VeggieTales characters, Lassie and the Lone Ranger -- the last of which is being turned into a bigscreen actioner by Jerry Bruckheimer at Disney.

Gotham-based Classic Media also owns "Veggie Tales" producer Big Idea Entertainment.

Classic Media's characters are exploited mostly through consumer products and licensing deals, primarily because it doesn't own other elements like film or TV rights to all the characters. That could pose a problem for DWA down the line, but the privately owned company generated $376 million last year through licensing.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056639?refCatId=13

Article is a little funny, claiming DWA would "own" these characters. Someone may want to inform mattel about that if true lol if only skeletor had the foresight to buy classic media first! This could be cool tho, of course, it could be bad
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Selling a company (or part of) doesn't negate it's current contracts/agreements, so Mattel should still have rights to Filmation (unless there was a clause in the agreement). I hope Dreamworks does something this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Selling a company (or part of) doesn't negate it's current contracts/agreements, so Mattel should still have rights to Filmation (unless there was a clause in the agreement). I hope Dreamworks does something this.
    Although we don't know the specifics, there surely was a time limit on Mattel's license. That's why it's a license, not ownership. Basically, Mattel is renting the rights to Filmation to produce figures, but it could be for 2 years or 20, we don't know. Assuming it's on the lower end of the scale (3-5 years) but have no hard data to back that up, just my assumption.

Dreamworks coming for those She-Ra entertainment rights. #trackingthesuccessofbrave /Delusional

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Article is a little funny, claiming DWA would "own" these characters. Someone may want to inform mattel about that if true lol if only skeletor had the foresight to buy classic media first! This could be cool tho, of course, it could be bad
    They would own the Filmation characters, just as Classic Media owns them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Variety
    Gotham-based Classic Media also owns "Veggie Tales" producer Big Idea Entertainment.
    Gotham? Thats a real place now, or what does that mean?

Interesting....

I have a lot of friends in the business... and overheard at SDCC was a comment about another company acquiring Classic Media...

Not Dreamworks... another company.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Interesting....

I have a lot of friends in the business... and overheard at SDCC was a comment about another company acquiring Classic Media...

Not Dreamworks... another company.
    Okay, probably a longshot at best but I'll throw it out there......

Mattel ?

Regards,
    Victor P.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Guy View Post
    Gotham? Thats a real place now, or what does that mean?
    New York City.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

I just realized how horrible a Live Action Movie might be. Mattel is working with Sony on it, yet Sony and Mattel do not have Filmation rights, so no "True" Horde will ever be in the movie. No Catra or Shadow Weaver. No... wait, I guess Filmation is mainly POP's problem. Mattel own's enough characters to make a decent trilogy... so never mind.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I wonder if this is why all the original cartoon is no longer offered in iTunes anymore?

something like beowulf could work for me
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/bu...ams.html?_r=2&

Hmmm. I wonder if something might be in the works for She-Ra.

DreamWorks and Netflix in Deal for New TV Shows

LOS ANGELES — DreamWorks Animation, trying to lessen its dependence on the volatile movie business by aggressively expanding into TV programming, has decided to forgo cable television in favor of Netflix.

In a multiyear deal announced early Monday, DreamWorks Animation will supply a flood of new episodic TV programs to the Internet streaming service. The partnership calls for 300 hours of original programming, perhaps the biggest commitment yet to bring Hollywood-caliber content to the Web first.

The new programs will be “inspired” by characters from past DreamWorks Animation franchises, which include “Shrek” and “The Croods,” and its coming feature films. Series will also come from Classic Media, which the studio bought last year. Classic Media’s holdings include characters like Casper the Friendly Ghost, Lassie, She-Ra and Mr. Magoo.

The agreement is the latest in the hotly competitive market for streaming content, with major services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon vying to capture viewers who are gravitating to the Web, especially younger ones.

Until now, DreamWorks Animation’s primary focus has been the release of about two costly movies a year. Its success record is strong, but one miss can send its stock price plummeting, as was the case late last year, when “Rise of the Guardians” severely underperformed expectations; the company eventually took an $87 million write-down tied to the film.

Investors on Monday responded favorably to the announcement, driving Netflix shares up more than 7 percent, to $229.23, and DreamWorks Animation shares up about 4 percent, to $23.74.

The studio’s characters currently appear on four TV shows. Three are made by Nickelodeon under a licensing agreement, while DreamWorks Animation supplies a fourth, based on “How to Train Your Dragon,” to Time Warner’s Cartoon Network.

The first of the new DreamWorks Animation programs will appear on Netflix sometime next year. Netflix has exclusive rights to the series in all of the countries in which it operates; it has about 27 million streaming subscribers in the United States.

A DreamWorks Animation spokeswoman declined to provide more details, including financial terms. Jeffrey Katzenberg, the studio’s chief executive, plans to outline his TV strategy in a conference call on Tuesday with analysts and reporters.

DreamWorks Animation had three primary TV options: starting a cable channel of its own, perhaps in partnership with 21st Century Fox, which distributes its movies; teaming with an upstart children’s network like the Hub (or taking it over); or bypassing cable completely and going with Netflix.

Mr. Katzenberg and his company parted ways with HBO in 2011, opting instead to distribute their films and television specials through Netflix. Mr. Katzenberg and Netflix announced this year that a new episodic series called “Turbo: F.A.S.T.” would come to the streaming service in December. (It is based on “Turbo,” a film that arrives in theaters on July 17 and features a speedy snail.)

For Netflix, the DreamWorks Animation programming will help fill a hole left by Nickelodeon. Because of a dispute over terms, Netflix declined this year to renew its contract with Viacom, Nickelodeon’s corporate parent. (Viacom in turn made a deal with Amazon this month for Nickelodeon shows like “Dora the Explorer.”) New films from Disney and Pixar will move to Netflix from Starz in late 2016.

Children are avid streaming consumers, particularly overseas, and cartoons allow the company to pitch itself to parents as a commercial-free alternative to television. Animated shows for younger viewers are also less likely to appear on the pirated-content sites that compete with Netflix for viewers.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/bu...ams.html?_r=2&

Hmmm. I wonder if something might be in the works for She-Ra.
    This says nothing about a new cartoon. It says they own Classic Media; and that part of their library included She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    This says nothing about a new cartoon. It says they own Classic Media; and that part of their library included She-Ra.
    It says that series will come from Classic Media. So something in that library is being worked on. The fact that it was stated at last years Power-Con when asked about any potential projects that they were "very excited to have She-Ra" is a good indication that she isn't going to just sit in their catalog doing nothing. Does it mean that there's a new show coming? No. Is it an interesting and completely worthwhile piece of information. Absolutely.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    Hasbro dont own everything in fact Classic Media right now owns Transformers Animated and Disney owns Transformers Robots in Disguise
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I hope this doesn't affect the movie that Sony Pictures is putting together. I don't want an animated MOTU film. That would be a cop-out. A bit like TMNT. It was good at the time, but in hindsight WB should never have made it and instead should have resurrected TMNT on the silver screen properly.

This shouldn’t be happing, anyway. As has been said before Mattel should own everything to with MOTU, or at least the juiciest bits (like Filmation).

This could be a game changer. In the end, could we actually see an animated MOTU movie?

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    This could be a game changer. In the end, could we actually see an animated MOTU movie?
    That would be quite amazing and cool!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I always thought MOTU should be a CGI movie like Beowulf, Tekken Blood Vengeance, Final Fantasy or FF: Advent Children, but CGI movies never do well unless they are kiddie flicks.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    If they managed it, then Dreamworks would own Filmation rights. Now I'm probably being a bit thick, but would Mattel have to do a new contract to use the Filmation rights for the MOTUC figures, or would it carry over?
    I would hope they made a deal like the one Fox and Sony made with Marvel. After Walt Disney bought Marvel those deals were (to my regret) not annulled.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Looks like the deal is done!

From Entertainment Weekly this morning:

Assorted other pre-existing deals and partnerships will occasionally limit what DreamWorks can do with some of these properties, and existing agreements will remain unchanged. But as the license holder, the animation studio can now work to capitalize on them in new ways.
    Sounds like preexisting deals will stand.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."