Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DreamWorks acquires Classic Media - What does that mean for MOTUC? [Updated]

I seriously doubt any new media will be forthcoming from this deal. I think DWA simply wants the distribution rights for future dvd releases.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Sony Pictures, as of now, have the rights for a MOTU film.

In case no one has been to the movie forum lately (not many people do, admittedly ) one of the producers said in a recent interview (dated earlier this month) that a director is about to be announced and it could be shooting as early as next year. So, as of now, this acquisition won't result in a movie because that's being done by someone else.

I do wonder if this means that any hypothetical Sony movie will be like MOTUC used to be, where they can't use Filmation-only characters who were never vintage toys.

Or if, now that Shadow Weaver and Fang Man are toys, they now fall under that same exception in perpetuity?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Sony Pictures, as of now, have the rights for a MOTU film.

In case no one has been to the movie forum lately (not many people do, admittedly ) one of the producers said in a recent interview (dated earlier this month) that a director is about to be announced and it could be shooting as early as next year. So, as of now, this acquisition won't result in a movie because that's being done by someone else.
    That's live action. Dream Works ANIMATION just acquired Classic Media. I think new cartoon/CGI films would be possible.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Well, I don't know if animated movies without a toy license would be very viable for DW...

The article mentioned using the acquired properties for television projects, so even if Sony makes a live-action movie, Dream Works could still produce a new cartoon series. Dare we hope that after all this time we'll get both a movie and a new series?
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's live action. Dream Works ANIMATION just acquired Classic Media. I think new cartoon/CGI films would be possible.
    I know, but they still wouldn't be allowed in all likelihood to make an animated feature. Animation for television probably, but not for the big screen. Of course, I'm not an expert on these kinds of things, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to make an animated movie with Sony Pictures making their own feature film version, albeit in live-action. I don’t think Sony would be happy with that.

Scott did mention recently that Mattel are looking to expand the MOTU brand. They would have probably heard about this long before we did so they might have already had the discussions with DreamWorks about getting something in motion.

At least I really hope so. But I also hope that it is not going to be the "new line" that comes after MOTUC.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I know, but they still wouldn't be allowed in all likelihood to make an animated feature. Animation for television probably, but not for the big screen. Of course, I'm not an expert on these kinds of things, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to make an animated movie with Sony Pictures making their own feature film version, albeit in live-action. I don’t think Sony would be happy with that.
    I'm not sure. They might be able to do it, but if they could, you are right - Sony would NOT be happy.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going to happen (or at least has a very good chance of happening). There will be a new live-action movie from Sony Pictures (everything I have read, especially in the last week, leads me to believe that they’re going to go ahead with it) and there will be a new animated show. The animated show probably won’t be related to the movie, as each will be their own thing.

Either way, I think MOTU may be (finally) headed for a new beginning.

I think it’s pretty obvious what’s going to happen (or at least has a very good chance of happening). There will be a new live-action movie from Sony Pictures (everything I have read, especially in the last week, leads me to believe that they’re going to go ahead with it) and there will be a new animated show. The animated show probably won’t be related to the movie, as each will be their own thing.
    I actually think that would be for the best. A more serious live-action movie for teens/adults and an animated show for younger audiences.

Of course, there is nothing stopping them from making a Princess of Power movie!!
    Last edited by ZacMasters; July 23, 2012 at 09:01pm.
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMasters View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMasters View Post
    Of course, there is nothing stopping them from making a Princess of Power movie!!
    Make this happen Dreamworks.

I think whats more important is we are in good hands now ;
    uncle Lou (god bless Lou) couldn't be happier for his vast catalogue of masterpieces to be reinvented for an all new generations of childrens and old fans alike

I still have a worry : very few of those press releases mention He-man & Co; most frequently Classic Media is associated with properties like Casper, Lone Ranger....
    anyway I hope a bright future for the motu brand, at least seems relevant to many investors of hollywood
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

If Dreamworks buys Classic Media and has rights to the Filmation cartoons then does that mean Universal (by degault) also has access to that library of cartoons and cartoon characters?

Does this mean we may be seeing He-Man and She-Ra running around Universal Studios theme parks? Would they be interested in selling MOTUC toys as well at their theme parks and more importantly, how would Disney feel about that given their long-standing relationship with Mattel?
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    If Dreamworks buys Classic Media and has rights to the Filmation cartoons then does that mean Universal (by degault) also has access to that library of cartoons and cartoon characters?

Does this mean we may be seeing He-Man and She-Ra running around Universal Studios theme parks? Would they be interested in selling MOTUC toys as well at their theme parks and more importantly, how would Disney feel about that given their long-standing relationship with Mattel?
    No, DreamWorks or any parent company associated with DreamWorks may not use He-Man or She-Ra in any form outside of the Filmation cartoons already produced without getting a separate license or legal agreement from Mattel. DreamWorks does not own the trademark on He-Man or She-Ra or any of the other characters, aside from the ones specifically created by Filmation, Mattel does, and only Mattel can license these characters for use in other media/mediums in any form. DreamWorks only retains the copyright for the Filmation cartoon and characters specifically created by Filmation for that toon such as Shadow Weaver, Madam Razz, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    No, DreamWorks or any parent company associated with DreamWorks may not use He-Man or She-Ra in any form outside of the Filmation cartoons already produced without getting a separate license or legal agreement from Mattel. DreamWorks does not own the trademark on He-Man or She-Ra or any of the other characters, aside from the ones specifically created by Filmation, Mattel does, and only Mattel can license these characters for use in other media/mediums in any form. DreamWorks only retains the copyright for the Filmation cartoon and characters specifically created by Filmation for that toon such as Shadow Weaver, Madam Razz, etc.
    Here's a dumb question why didn't Mattel just buy the rights? The whole Filmation library was not that much and they could have sold the other series off...It could have been done..

After Classic Media purchase, DreamWorks mulls TV (but not comics)

The inarguable success of Marvel Studios has Hollywood’s attention. In an industry forever nervous about new ideas, the strategy impulsively becomes how to duplicate it.

DreamWorks Animation’s $155 million purchase of Classic Media was inspired, at least in part, by the record-shattering performance of Marvel’s The Avengers, DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg told Reuters. And similar to Marvel’s pre-Iron Man days, Katzenberg sees this as a strong opportunity to farm out the newly acquired characters to other studios for adaptation. Aside from its Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D movie already in the works, DreamWorks has no plans to create new live-action features based on the Classic Media characters. But the small screen may be another matter: The studio is setting up its own television or Internet channel, but whether this is to re-run classic episodes, like Cartoon Network does with Boomerang, or for new series is still unknown.

“A channel is one of the many opportunities we see for combining the DreamWorks brand with this extraordinary library of characters,” Katzenberg said. “It could be a domestic cable channel, international, even an Internet channel.”

But more immediately, the purchase provides DreamWorks additional leverage as it negotiates to renew its distribution deal with Paramount Pictures.

All of this studio-driven activity around comic book properties sounds great, but where does that leave the comics themselves? Will DreamWorks open a comics publishing company? Will Doctor Solar be reunited with the recently revived Valiant Universe? Will The Lone Ranger vanish from Dynamite Entertainment’s line-up? What about Ape Entertainment’s Casper the Friendly Ghost and Richie Rich relaunches? Will the world finally get a new Fat Albert comic?

It’s too soon to know for sure, but most likely very little will change in the near future. DreamWorks has barely mentioned comic books in the press so far, deciding instead to focus on licensing for “motion picture, television, home entertainment, consumer products, digital, theme park and live entertainment channels.” The other factor is that a good deal of those properties are either co-managed by another company (Jay Ward Productions still co-owns Rocky & Bullwinkle, for example), or Classic Media only holds the TV rights (such as in the case of Masters of the Universe, which is owned by Mattel). While it would be amazing to see a comic book universe where Lassie and Bravestarr co-exist, if we’re going to be honest with ourselves, it’s probably low on the DreamWorks to-do list.

Instead, a comics future for many of these properties will probably be up to an enterprising comics publisher with a vision to license them from DreamWorks. The animation studio has already shown a willingness to do this with its own feature film properties, which has resulted in Ape Entertainment‘s mini-line of DreamWorks comics: Shrek, Madagascar and Kung-Fu Panda. I don’t hear a lot of buzz about how those books are being received by readers but they must be doing something right. And as mentioned, Ape already has new Casper and Richie Rich comics, so perhaps they’re the right fit. As the all-ages section of comics continues to grow, a lot of Classic Media’s properties could find a very welcoming audience in comics form.
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...probably-wont/

Well, their own channel will need to have new cartoons as well. Let's hope they can work out something with Mattel and bring back MOTU to our televisions.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTheHonour86 View Post
    Marvel was acquired by Disney and look what they have done with it. The comics haven't changed
    Way more than you may think, actually

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    It wouldn't be nothing for Dreamworks to do a CGI animated He-man and the Masters of the Universe animated series. The movie rights are still tied up elsewhere, but DW can easily go back and create their own He-man cartoons. They own the rights to that. If that was to come, the Classics line would surely be solidified along with a new smaller scale retail line along with vehicles and playsets.

We might see Classic versions of the new character designs. You know they are going to alter He-man and the rest for the new series. They always do. Just like the comic book.

PS: DW can also come out with an Animated Movie if the other contract with MOTU isn't that rigorous. That's up to lawyers to look through. I think a TV deal is more secure.
    Last edited by bskcase; July 29, 2012 at 03:42am.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Maybe they are interested in doing a Bravestarr movie. That would be hip. Or a Blackstar movie. Those are movies I would go to the cinema for.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/bu...ams.html?_r=2&

Hmmm. I wonder if something might be in the works for She-Ra.

DreamWorks and Netflix in Deal for New TV Shows

LOS ANGELES — DreamWorks Animation, trying to lessen its dependence on the volatile movie business by aggressively expanding into TV programming, has decided to forgo cable television in favor of Netflix.

In a multiyear deal announced early Monday, DreamWorks Animation will supply a flood of new episodic TV programs to the Internet streaming service. The partnership calls for 300 hours of original programming, perhaps the biggest commitment yet to bring Hollywood-caliber content to the Web first.

The new programs will be “inspired” by characters from past DreamWorks Animation franchises, which include “Shrek” and “The Croods,” and its coming feature films. Series will also come from Classic Media, which the studio bought last year. Classic Media’s holdings include characters like Casper the Friendly Ghost, Lassie, She-Ra and Mr. Magoo.

The agreement is the latest in the hotly competitive market for streaming content, with major services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon vying to capture viewers who are gravitating to the Web, especially younger ones.

Until now, DreamWorks Animation’s primary focus has been the release of about two costly movies a year. Its success record is strong, but one miss can send its stock price plummeting, as was the case late last year, when “Rise of the Guardians” severely underperformed expectations; the company eventually took an $87 million write-down tied to the film.

Investors on Monday responded favorably to the announcement, driving Netflix shares up more than 7 percent, to $229.23, and DreamWorks Animation shares up about 4 percent, to $23.74.

The studio’s characters currently appear on four TV shows. Three are made by Nickelodeon under a licensing agreement, while DreamWorks Animation supplies a fourth, based on “How to Train Your Dragon,” to Time Warner’s Cartoon Network.

The first of the new DreamWorks Animation programs will appear on Netflix sometime next year. Netflix has exclusive rights to the series in all of the countries in which it operates; it has about 27 million streaming subscribers in the United States.

A DreamWorks Animation spokeswoman declined to provide more details, including financial terms. Jeffrey Katzenberg, the studio’s chief executive, plans to outline his TV strategy in a conference call on Tuesday with analysts and reporters.

DreamWorks Animation had three primary TV options: starting a cable channel of its own, perhaps in partnership with 21st Century Fox, which distributes its movies; teaming with an upstart children’s network like the Hub (or taking it over); or bypassing cable completely and going with Netflix.

Mr. Katzenberg and his company parted ways with HBO in 2011, opting instead to distribute their films and television specials through Netflix. Mr. Katzenberg and Netflix announced this year that a new episodic series called “Turbo: F.A.S.T.” would come to the streaming service in December. (It is based on “Turbo,” a film that arrives in theaters on July 17 and features a speedy snail.)

For Netflix, the DreamWorks Animation programming will help fill a hole left by Nickelodeon. Because of a dispute over terms, Netflix declined this year to renew its contract with Viacom, Nickelodeon’s corporate parent. (Viacom in turn made a deal with Amazon this month for Nickelodeon shows like “Dora the Explorer.”) New films from Disney and Pixar will move to Netflix from Starz in late 2016.

Children are avid streaming consumers, particularly overseas, and cartoons allow the company to pitch itself to parents as a commercial-free alternative to television. Animated shows for younger viewers are also less likely to appear on the pirated-content sites that compete with Netflix for viewers.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/bu...ams.html?_r=2&

Hmmm. I wonder if something might be in the works for She-Ra.
    This says nothing about a new cartoon. It says they own Classic Media; and that part of their library included She-Ra.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    This says nothing about a new cartoon. It says they own Classic Media; and that part of their library included She-Ra.
    It says that series will come from Classic Media. So something in that library is being worked on. The fact that it was stated at last years Power-Con when asked about any potential projects that they were "very excited to have She-Ra" is a good indication that she isn't going to just sit in their catalog doing nothing. Does it mean that there's a new show coming? No. Is it an interesting and completely worthwhile piece of information. Absolutely.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

TG also shot this notion down after last year's Powercon as well.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela