Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping an Eye on Things with regard to the New Price Point....

Keeping an Eye on Things with regard to the New Price Point....

So SDCC was a lot of fun, and I had a great time...

But sitting at home, the thought lingers: "Will Mattel really hold up its end of the bargain with regard to the price increase and the maintenance of quality, paint applications, and accessories?"

Scott says that the price increase was necessary in order that items or tooling or paint applications not be cut from these figures. I am fine with that. I do want to see Mattel held to that standard.

Fang Man and Jitsu are a great example of figures that live up to the new price point.

Jitsu has:
    1) newly tooled head
    2) retooled armor
    PLUS
    3) newly tooled katana blade
    4) newly tooled sickle blade (of which we get an extra copy)

Fang Man has:
    1) newly tooled head/neck
    2) newly tooled outfit
    PLUS
    3) newly tooled "Sword of the Ancients"
    4) newly tooled "Laser pronged whip" accessory
    5) newly tooled "Time Wheel"
    6) articulated lower jaw piece & tongue

Why is Netossa so bare? You told me, in person, at the booth, that her cape was her accessory. That makes no sense, especially at this higher price point. He-Ro had a cape and came with a ton of accessories. Horde Prime has a cape and comes with a lot more than Netossa, and he has been sold at a lower price, and had an accessory cut. You could argue that the cape costs more because of the netting, but the cape can't cost much more than Leech's net (which had more complicated pieces if you consider the suction cups), and Leech had a lot more new tooling, and twi accessories.

She is being sold at the higher price ($25 / $27), and she looked in the case, well, embarassingly bare.

Now, even Rattlor, has more accessories, and he is being sold at the lower price in 2012... you could argue that the body was already used in the Snake Pack, but then, you could argue the same, with a stronger case for Netossa's buck.

Netossa has:
    1) newly tooled head
    2) newly tooled outfit (INLCUDING the cape, because no other figure with a cape has had that count as his or her accessory before)
    PLUS
    3) reused shield

The fans on her face aren't connected to the cape as in the cartoon, and clearly look to be placed such that he toy-inspired blue/silver headdress could be clipped there.

It isn't ok to cut accessories from a figure at this new price in order to save money else-where. Mattel has to try to figure out the budget some other way. They should purposely slot-in a character like red Beast man to make up the cost (Mattel did it with Snake Man-At-Arms and it worked fine - especially when Mattel).

I may decide to buy two subscriptions. I am DEFINITELY watching with a wide eye and an open ear to see if Scott will address this. Netossa is one example of a trend I don't want to see... and frankly, I want to see her given her headdress and the repainted Bubble Power sword from the vintage cross-sell art.

What happens if we get Two-Bad without his shield?

What if we get Flogg without his shoulder armor?

I encourage everyone here to be proactive and let Mattel know that you want what you are paying for, throughout the year.

I would have asked this question at the Matty Panel, but they cut the session 12 minutes early It IS an important issue, and unfortunately Netossa is the figure-head of the issue at the moment. This is really about receiving quality product at an increased price.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Netossa does look embarrassingly bare. Many of the figures in 2012 that had accessories cut come with more than what she does, and she only comes with a shield which is a straight repaint.

Also, the majority of her new tooling will be re-used on Peekablue...so...yeah. She definitely doesn't mesh with the price increase of $5 to keep figures' accessories and paint apps. She doesn't have all the accessories her vintage figure did (something all MOTUC figures are supposed to have) and breaks the "two accessories per figure" rule that started in 2009 with Scareglow.

Scareglow has a cape which has not been re-used on a character and did not count as an accessory. The reliquary item was created for him (which is pretty darn awesome!) but was 4 newly tooled parts AND a real chain. He also got a newly tooled scythe.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm no POP fan, but this is pure BS! Mattel can no longer afford these logistical failures!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    That is a very fair point. Since when did a cape ever become an "accessory"? He-Ro has a cape, but also came with his staff and a sword (with the staff being a more complicated accessory compared to most). Hordak has a cape, but also came with his staff, a crossbow, and that little red imp-thing. Heck, Horde Prime, despite coming out during this year's period of cut-backs on accessories/paint apps and despite losing his staff that will be coming in the weapons pack, has a cape, a crossbow, and an extra head (which we've been told the heads are more expensive to make then most average accessories).

So, it does seem unfair that Netossa doesn't come with much else. I'm not really a fan of hers (I'm not very familiar with the character), but from what I understand she had some kind of mask or something on the original toy... it would have been nice if that had been included in some manner for POP fans. While the POP figures have largely errored on the side of Filmation (which I personally prefer and am happy with), in the cases of Bow and She-Ra, they each came with 2 heads to represent their cartoon and toy forms, and Cat-Ra came with 2 masks, one of which was based on her original toy. They couldn't have done 2 heads for Netossa or found some way to include the mask and make it fit on her existing head? It seems like there should have been some "logistical" way to do the latter and have it not cost too much.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Fang Man and Jitsu are a great example of figures that live up to the new price point.
    Fang Man was well done in that department. But I don't think Jitsu lives up to that price point. He doesn't have anything that any standard figure doesn't have (his own head, armor, weapon), especially considering that he shares most of his tooling. He would fit under the old price point. You would think that as he is the counterpart to Fisto, that he would have gotten the same treatment (belt, 200x sword).
    But he's still fine. Netossa got stiffed big-time. Not acceptable.

I think Scott is gravely insensitive to refer to Netossa's cape as an accessory. Like Darkspectre said, the Two Accessories Rule was invoked on Scareglow, and he also had a cape that had no immediate re-use capabilities. Combined thw the raised prices this year, itis UNCONSCIONABLE that Netossa only comes with a re-painted shield! I can even accept getting a repainted Bubble Power She-Ra sword in a weapons pack later in the year, but to not even have her headdress - which looks like the fan pieces at the side of her head "should" be attached to - it's LOUSY and it CHEATS Mattel's paying customers out of a value we've come to expect for less money.

And P.S. Jitsu's armor is a totally different scuplt from Randor's. He got new weapons, head, hand and armor.
    Last edited by Kevenn; July 16, 2012 at 02:05pm.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Netossa absolutely needs her head gear and sword. I'm very dissapointed i kept waiting for in interview where Scott would tell us yes her other accesory and head piece were on their way.

Heroic Warrior
    I hate to say it, but this is an example of the fan community getting exactly what they asked for.

I'm not saying that fans specifically asked for this, but here's the thing.

Most if not all of us would accept that this is an adult collector's line, due not only to the high level of fan interaction (and yes sadly that includes form answers as that is an interaction, albeit rather disingenuous interaction), but also to the lack of typical children's marketing techniques such as toy commercials and cartoon tie-ins. Therefore we are their target market for MOTUC figures.

Now here's the ugly truth about companies- their only concern is maximising profits. So when they get a group of fans demanding a certain character unconditionally then there is not only a target market there, but one which will buy the figure regardless of the number of accessories there, pain apps, etc. The reason for this is that if there is a viable market there who will purchase said figure regardless of how well she's done, then the most profitable thing to do is to produce her as the cheapest figure possible. Why? Because Mattel has absolutely no incentive to produce a better quality figure.

On the other hand, had said market actually stipulated that said figure would not be purchased unless it met certain standards, that reates an entirely different situation. In that situation, there is a viable market for a figure, but ironically, the way to maximise profits in that situation is to ensure that the figure does meet said standards.

Therefore, if people want better figures, then what needs to happen is an en masse rallying cry with each figure of "meet this standard or no sale". Considering that Mattel is only concerned with profitability, it would see standards greatly improve.

I realise that the whole sub vs cherry picking issue complicates this, but the same principle applies.

I just hope the net in her cape doesn't tear as easy as the net of Leech. That net just crumbled.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I hate to say it, but this is an example of the fan community getting exactly what they asked for.

I'm not saying that fans specifically asked for this, but here's the thing.

Most if not all of us would accept that this is an adult collector's line, due not only to the high level of fan interaction (and yes sadly that includes form answers as that is an interaction, albeit rather disingenuous interaction), but also to the lack of typical children's marketing techniques such as toy commercials and cartoon tie-ins. Therefore we are their target market for MOTUC figures.

Now here's the ugly truth about companies- their only concern is maximising profits. So when they get a group of fans demanding a certain character unconditionally then there is not only a target market there, but one which will buy the figure regardless of the number of accessories there, pain apps, etc. The reason for this is that if there is a viable market there who will purchase said figure regardless of how well she's done, then the most profitable thing to do is to produce her as the cheapest figure possible. Why? Because Mattel has absolutely no incentive to produce a better quality figure.

On the other hand, had said market actually stipulated that said figure would not be purchased unless it met certain standards, that reates an entirely different situation. In that situation, there is a viable market for a figure, but ironically, the way to maximise profits in that situation is to ensure that the figure does meet said standards.

Therefore, if people want better figures, then what needs to happen is an en masse rallying cry with each figure of "meet this standard or no sale". Considering that Mattel is only concerned with profitability, it would see standards greatly improve.

I realise that the whole sub vs cherry picking issue complicates this, but the same principle applies.
    I think this pretty much says it all for any toy line. As soon as folks are willing to accept less for more money, it becomes the new standard and there is no where to go but down. Hasbro is doing this and hopefully fans aren't buying their crippled articulation for more money. Maybe those dollars will speak for those fans and Hasbro will reconsider. I think with MOTUC, being a collector driven line with a premium price and direct sales model, that it's a bad precedent to set.

RE: Netossa

I had a chance to talk to a few key people at the Con about the lack of accessories issue, hopefully we will be able to get at least one more item. It might be too late to get something brand new like the mask, but we talked about some things like a repainted BP She-Ra sword. Of course, nothing could be promised since she is actually getting close to going into production but... Fingers crossed!

Oh, and it was nice meeting you, BCRDuke.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Mattel really needs to be careful here. People are unhappy about the $5 figure increase and the $5 shipping increase ($10 total increase cost per figure in 2013). This will most certainly cause some people to not subscribe this year, or buy fewer subs if they buy multiples (it really adds up). If Mattel decides to skimp on the accessories, giving characters fewer accessories than 2012, when customers are now paying $10 more per figure (and Mattel said the price increase was so they could KEEP the elaborate paint apps and multiple accessories), this will turn even more people away from MOTUC and they will get even fewer subscribers for 2014.

We do not want this to happen and Mattel, as a business, shouldn't want this to happen.

To be perfectly honest, if Mattel could include the mask with Netossa (which they totally can) and it will cause her to get pushed back a couple months, I think most people would be okay with that. I know as a loyal Mattel customer, I would be very happy with that.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf-Gar View Post
    I think this pretty much says it all for any toy line. As soon as folks are willing to accept less for more money, it becomes the new standard and there is no where to go but down. Hasbro is doing this and hopefully fans aren't buying their crippled articulation for more money. Maybe those dollars will speak for those fans and Hasbro will reconsider. I think with MOTUC, being a collector driven line with a premium price and direct sales model, that it's a bad precedent to set.
    Hasbro is a different kettle of fish though as they're generally not specifically marketing to fans. Most of their stuff tends to be marketed at kids, either through cartoons, video games or age inappropriate movies in what is nothing short of "corporate paedophilia" (which these days tends to apply to any form of marketing based child exploitation which falls under the banner of some form of child abuse). I realise the later applies to toy cartoons also to a much lesser extent, but there's a marked difference between an age appropriate cartoon and something age-inappropriate like M-rated movies and in the case of fashion labels - g-strings for 7 year olds (with things like that I wish I could un-know what some current affairs shows do exposes on). But I digress...

You're right that it does still apply, however it's to a much smaller extent, as no matter how much adult fans kick up a stink, you have 2+ children/parents for every adult fan, depending on the line. MOTUC is definitely the exception to this. Sadly, there are people who make this problem worse with the argument of "they're just toys" which only compounds the problem.

Not to go too far off subject here, as this does pertain to the price increase but has nothing to do with Netossa....

One thing that bothers me is that we haven't got Horde Troopers yet. Now, in all honesty I am to some extent glad that we aren't getting them this year given how much is coming out.

However, they are the most demanded army builder BY FAR, and now will come out after this price increase.

Now that the sub/non-sub prices on individual figures are going from $20/$22 to $25/$27, this means that army builder 2-packs will go from $40/$44 to $50/$54. That's quite a jump. Considering that I'm interested in getting probably 5 or 6 sets of them, I'm now looking at (taking what would be one set from the sub, and then the rest being outside of the sub into account) the price before tax & shipping under the new pricing system being $266 for 5 sets or $320 for 2 sets as opposed to, under the old pricing system, $216 for 5 sets or $260 for 6 sets. That's quite the major increase!

Now, I realize that a lot of people probably won't buy as many as me, but I do think that this is the one potential army builder pack that people will have more interest in buying multiples of, regardless of where they set their threshold. Now with the price increase, that's going to probably make some people think twice about buying them. And if they don't come out in 2013 and if there is another price hike for 2014, then this could be even worse.

While I realize that this isn't like to happen at all, I almost wish that rather than going all nuts with the accessories and extra heads like they did with the Palace Guards pack, that Mattel would maybe consider (whether as a 2-pack or as an individually released figure) just making a rather basic Horde Trooper figure with the iconic staff/baton weapon that they have, and actually pass the savings onto the fans by lowering the cost on it based on however much they save by not packing in tons of extra "fluff".

To quote the one guy from Storage Wars, I know there was something of a "Wow-Factor" with the Palace Guards with all of the stuff that they came with, but really a lot of it wasn't needed IMO. We get 4 chest plates in the set, only one of which is the clean, non-damaged standard chest plate... the one that I would prefer all of my guards to have. The others are battle damaged plates which IMO don't work if you want to set up the guards around the King and Queen in fancy Kingdom presentation, and I can't see using more than 1 of the Eagle chest plate when having serveral packs of the guard figures. The cat and lizard heads were largely unnecessary IMO.... the only purpose I can maybe now see for the lizard heads would be to put a couple of them with Snake Man-At-Arms as being transformed by King Hsss. But honestly I (and I think most) fans just want to fairly normal looking human guards. If anything, while I don't mind the inclusion of the African-American head, I would have liked it if 2 Caucasian heads has been included. Not because I'm racist or anything like that, but because 99% of the time on the original cartoon, that's how the guards looked (had it been the other way around, then that would be my preference now). The variety of weapons were welcome in this case, though.

Now, the upcoming snakemen pack makes sense not to be intended to have them all look the same/consistent. Since they aren't meant to be guards all wearing the same suit of armor, and they are mostly organic looking and wearing very little clothes, it makes sense. And IMO they would work best when getting 2 sets of them, and on the 2nd set using the alternate heads and swapping the armor.

But with the Horde Troopers, IMO consistency is key. The troopers, to my recollection, were never depicted as using tons and tons of different weapons. They mostly had those staff/baton things. I don't see the need to make them with alternate armor chest plates... just give them the basic Horde logo. I honestly don't even see a need for an alternate head. I could maybe see including a head based on the trooper designs from the flashback segments in "Secret of the Sword"/"The Sword of She-ra", but that's about it. I know some people in past discussions have recommended including a Hordak and/or He-Man head with them since He-man wears the armor in SOTS and in flashback Hordak is depicted as wearing something very similar, but IMO it would be stupid to include those because from an army building stand-point, nobody is going to use more than one of either of the heads. I say those who want them (of which I am part) just take the head off of an existing Hordak or He-Man figure and put it on the body. Heck, anyone who has Prince Adam essentially has an extra He-Man head.

So, I would love it if we could actually just get a basic, proper looking, barebones Horde trooper with just the staff/baton weapon, with a couple/few dollars shaved off of the price of a 2-pack of them. I know it won't happen, but that's my ideal compromise between getting a nice army of troopers, and not having to spend more than I absolutely have to.

The cape can't cost too much. I've seen bigger fly-swatters that sell for cheap.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

I agree. I definitely think this is worrying. I was fine with a price increase if it kept or improved standards established with previous figures. But Netossa feels like a figure half done, as beautiful as what we do have is. I'm not typically one to make too many waves. I can shrug off a lot and understand economic realities. But this seems counter to the expectations set for us prior to the increase and feels like a fairly baffling decision. I also equate the lack of mask with Ram-Man being released without his helmet or Jitsu without his armor.

It just makes her look incomplete. If figures ARE going to be selectively given short shrift STILL I'd at least like to know that up front if nothing else.

I really hope they can fix this. I don't care if she's held back some. I'd rather she were done right. We really should not be in a situation where this stuff ends up in a weapon's pal again, as grateful as I am that was done this year.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Mattel really needs to be careful here. People are unhappy about the $5 figure increase and the $5 shipping increase ($10 total increase cost per figure in 2013).
    Is the $5 shipping increase for international shipping, or is that what it will cost anyone who orders even one figure for domestic shipping via newgistics-USA-touring-service?

I assumed that this was an early shot and that she'd come with more, and I hoped that was the case if for no other reason than I always think MOTU figures look weird with just a shield.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    To quote the one guy from Storage Wars, I know there was something of a "Wow-Factor" with the Palace Guards with all of the stuff that they came with, but really a lot of it wasn't needed IMO. We get 4 chest plates in the set, only one of which is the clean, non-damaged standard chest plate... the one that I would prefer all of my guards to have. The others are battle damaged plates which IMO don't work if you want to set up the guards around the King and Queen in fancy Kingdom presentation, and I can't see using more than 1 of the Eagle chest plate when having serveral packs of the guard figures. The cat and lizard heads were largely unnecessary IMO.... the only purpose I can maybe now see for the lizard heads would be to put a couple of them with Snake Man-At-Arms as being transformed by King Hsss. But honestly I (and I think most) fans just want to fairly normal looking human guards. If anything, while I don't mind the inclusion of the African-American head, I would have liked it if 2 Caucasian heads has been included. Not because I'm racist or anything like that, but because 99% of the time on the original cartoon, that's how the guards looked (had it been the other way around, then that would be my preference now). The variety of weapons were welcome in this case, though.
    Just because you don't want certain items doesn't mean they were unnecessary. They made the packs a lot more fun. Considering the fact that the guards were mostly MAA repainted, the extra accessories added a lot of bang for your buck, especially at $40 a pack. Personally I don't want a bunch of boring identical white humans with clean armor, and I certainly wouldn't have bought 3 packs if that had been the case.
    The more accessories the better, be they Horde Troopers or anyone else. At this price point it should be expected.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Wait, you mean the shield is all she comes with? How does she fight?

- - - Updated - - -

the $5 shipping increase ($10 total increase cost per figure in 2013).
    $5 increase in shipping? My shipping charge was only $1 more than last year for UPS Ground.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Just because you don't want certain items doesn't mean they were unnecessary. They made the packs a lot more fun. Considering the fact that the guards were mostly MAA repainted, the extra accessories added a lot of bang for your buck, especially at $40 a pack. Personally I don't want a bunch of boring identical white humans with clean armor, and I certainly wouldn't have bought 3 packs if that had been the case.
    I'm not really complaining about the fact that we got all of those options with the Palace Guards at the time. My only beef is that it didn't include the options to make a consistent set of normal looking guards with, at minimum, the inclusion of another clean standard chest plate. They still could have included 1 battle damaged chest plate. The skin color issue I can deal with, but it would have been nice to at least have the option to make them look as consistent as possible.

The more accessories the better, be they Horde Troopers or anyone else. At this price point it should be expected.
    At the new, upcoming price point, I agree (provided that the option exists to make 2 normal looking, undamaged troopers). If there won't be a scenario where they give us less accessories AND a price break, then they better load them up with accessories for the price that we will be paying. But given the choice, I would take a price break and a more basic Horde Trooper in lieu of extra accessories and options that I'm probably not going to use.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Mattel really needs to be careful here. People are unhappy about the $5 figure increase and the $5 shipping increase ($10 total increase cost per figure in 2013). This will most certainly cause some people to not subscribe this year, or buy fewer subs if they buy multiples (it really adds up). If Mattel decides to skimp on the accessories, giving characters fewer accessories than 2012, when customers are now paying $10 more per figure (and Mattel said the price increase was so they could KEEP the elaborate paint apps and multiple accessories), this will turn even more people away from MOTUC and they will get even fewer subscribers for 2014.

We do not want this to happen and Mattel, as a business, shouldn't want this to happen.

To be perfectly honest, if Mattel could include the mask with Netossa (which they totally can) and it will cause her to get pushed back a couple months, I think most people would be okay with that. I know as a loyal Mattel customer, I would be very happy with that.
    Whoa whoa...$5 shipping increase too? You have GOT to be kidding me! Spikor, ordered today, has a shipping and handling charge of $8.70! You mean to tell me that it is going to be $13.00 + next year? That is unacceptable! Maybe I don't understand how shipping works since I'm not in the toy making corporate world...but what i do know is that I just checked how much it would cost to get a Slush Head from Amazon and standard shipping (which arrives before Digital River's wacky system) is $4.87. 2 day shipping is $10.98.

What exactly are we paying for with this $13? Certainly not speed of service. Certainly not efficiency. And certainly not good customer service based on what I have read. Thankfully I have not needed to experience it myself.

This is complete BS and is enough to make me reconsider plans for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    The cape can't cost too much. I've seen bigger fly-swatters that sell for cheap.
    Leech got a net and a crossbow as his accessories, and no other figure that has a cape had it counted as an accessory, that is just plain BS on so many levels, and the first cop out of the new price increase, and I know through the year there will be many more, and only to be told for 2014 we will need yet another one.

There are 2011 & 2012 figures that have well more than 2 accessories, and they sold at the $20 - $22 price point....Fisto is a really good example, as was BP She-Ra. Yet here we go one figure, the first figure of 2013 mind you, and she has 1 true accessory, and that now will be a 4 time reused sheild....come on...

The way it's going, by 2015 these things will be $35....and there will always be some lame ass reason the price has to go up, on a line that has 80% or more parts reuse.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Compared to 2012's Fisto all of the 2013 releases fall flat regarding their accessories.
    - two heads
    - sword
    - huge 200X sword
    - 200X belt

Also he did get a newly tooled bicep, his metal fist and a new chest armour.
    Now where is that dedication to the figures in 2013? All those promises that came with that ridiculous price increase?
    Lies... nothing but LIES!

I mean come on!
    Netossa gets a shield! A puny REUSED shield!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It isn't ok to cut accessories from a figure at this new price in order to save money else-where. Mattel has to try to figure out the budget some other way. They should purposely slot-in a character like red Beast man to make up the cost (Mattel did it with Snake Man-At-Arms and it worked fine - especially when Mattel).
    I would agree with that. The trouble is you'll seldom get consensus on which accessories are essential and which are merely nice bonuses. Jitsu's a good example. I think he's fine as he is, Whiplash7 thinks he needs something else to live up to the $25 price point.

The truth is that Mattel sells us all twelve monthly figures for $300. That's what they need to meet both their overheads and their desired profits. They charge us $25 per figure because it's mathematically convenient, not because it's the actual cost of the figure. Some figures will be accessory-lite to pay for those figures that are particularly costly. And personally, I'm fine with that. Simple figures like Jitsu and Clamp Champ help to pay for more complicated sculpts like Fang Man and Trap Jaw.

All that said, in my opinion the head-dress for Netossa is an essential accessory. She's an absolutely gorgeous figure, but the head-dress is a distinctive second look. I can't for the life of me see how you could add one to the figure as it stands, so what you'd really need is a second head. The sword I'm less bothered about, as it could very easily show up in a Weapon Pack down the road. Of course, if there was going to be a second head, I think we would have already seen it.