Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we want Filmation Characters to look like they just stepped out of the Cartoon>

Hybrid View

Heroic Warrior

Do we want Filmation Characters to look like they just stepped out of the Cartoon>

Like most of the .orgers, I am stoked that we are getting Filmation-only characters now, but I have one concern — they will look too much like they just walked right of the cartoon. Shadow Weaver matched the MOTUC aesthetic quite well, but Fang Man, though he is awesome, looks just a bit too cartoony.

I would like the 4H to base their sculpts and paint on Filmation but not translate the characters identically. It would be better, IMO, to try and make these characters a bit more realistic so that they fit in seamlessly with the MOTUC aesthetic.

Anybody with me? Let's make some noise if so and keep our collections looking the most unified that they can!

(Can an administrator put a Q mark in the thread title, looks like I goofed)
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

think how much can be difficult to classicized a filmation style figure. its like classicizing mickey mouse, they are just four rounded lines. imo they didi a superb job!
    and we can say the same with 200x characters...aren't they too 200xish? chief carnivus, faceless one and count marzo face scultptings seem like they do not belong to classics.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I would like them to fit into the loom of the line. If the "200X" look can't be in Classics, than the Filmation look should be "run through the Classics" machine or whatever the marketing buzz words are these days.

Now I do think that Fang man fits.....but just barely.

Fang man to me looks out of place. I think they should make them fit more into the Motuc style. The faces/head sculpts are going to be the main issue here.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    I think Fang Man is awesome the way he is.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    I want "Filmation accurate", not "animation accurate". No interest in a He-Man with no harness detail for example. To me, Fang Man is damn near perfect, as he's clearly the character from the cartoon but with 'realistic' details that 4H do so well.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

You mean plain, simplified & symmetrical? No.

This is the Classics line, not the Filmation line.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    I think Fang Man is awesome the way he is.
    Me too. Fangman is awesome. Perfect sculpt, new articulated jaw, 3 accesories...

In the other hand I dont want more Filmation variants like King Randor. This kind of things must be conventions exclusives.

Its awesome that TG always said he dont want to waste a slot with a new uncracked Roboto or 200X Roboto and we got this unrequested variant...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I want to look at the figure and say yes thatīs the character i remember but brought to the 21st century.

What was cool in the eighties maybe isnīt looking good nowadays, tastes change and i think they should take that in consideration.

My biggest problem is the lack of detail FILMATION designs have. In those days it wasnīt possible to do symmetrical designs.
    So characters like Entrapta, Man-At Arms, Clawfull or Tung Lashor suffered from that.

Now FILMATION designed characters like Kittrina, Icer, Octavia or Dylamug all can only profit from more details and maybe some asymmetrical accessories if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Fang man to me looks out of place. I think they should make them fit more into the Motuc style. The faces/head sculpts are going to be the main issue here.
    fang man design, as all filmation designs, is really simple and have a lot of lacks. imo this is the best we can ask ffrom 4H in order to bilance both filmation accuracy and addition of details.
    some vintage classics like clawful and buzz off got the same threatment. they prefer to be more close to the classic idea of the charcter in order to do not lost the feeling and the original design.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Mosquitor looks much more cartoony as far as his face goes than Fang Man, and he was never in the toon. There was a wide array of styles in the vintage line, with some like Mosquitor having an almost anime look to the head. FM looks a lot more like an MOTU denizen than Mosquitor does, but you haven't seen a lot of folks saying the bug guy doesn't fit in the Classics line.

Unless your going to start up a separate line, you're not going to be able to translate Filmation characters into exact plastic replicas. They wouldn't fit into the classics line as such, simply because animated designs are as basic as they can be, with only the detail absolutely needed present because it has to be drawn dozens of times over for even a minute of animation. They do need to have details and such added to flesh them out, with Bow being the best example of such an approach. Fang Man was well done in this respect, as his head was given extra detail and toned down just a tad from the cartoon version.

And let's face it, FM's head is a lot less cartoony than Dragon Blaster Skeletor's little dragon pet, which, again, was never in the cartoon, so there's a range in the existing classics line. Moreover, some of the most cartoonish-looking figures AREN'T the ones based on Filmation.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

IMHO Fangman fits in perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I would like them to fit into the loom of the line. If the "200X" look can't be in Classics, than the Filmation look should be "run through the Classics" machine or whatever the marketing buzz words are these days.

Now I do think that Fang man fits.....but just barely.
    QFT

They should be adapted to MOTUC style as other charecters are/were.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think he fits right in. All they need to do is add detail - scales, texture, folds, etc. which they hav done. Adora for me is awesome but could have had more detail to make her slightly more classics - particularly the details on her uniform.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I think he fits right in. All they need to do is add detail - scales, texture, folds, etc. which they hav done. Adora for me is awesome but could have had more detail to make her slightly more classics - particularly the details on her uniform.
    These are my thoughts as well. Scales would've been much better, he is just too smooth. But he still looks awesome regardless.

Heroic Warrior
    Do I want Filmation Characters to look like they just stepped out of the Cartoon? NO.

I want them to look like they'll seamlessly fit with the general style (including the level of detail) of MOTUC.

I'll admit, that when it comes to the "Filmation" looks, my main concern is POP characters. Both Bow and BP She-Ra are a good indication of a happy balance between their Filmation designs, with additional details (in this instance, inspired by the original toys) to help bring them into MOTUC. Frosta is also pretty impressive in this regard.

While other Filmation characters may not have a vintage toy (or a 200X design) from which to take inspiration for additional "details", I think that the 4H are more than up to the challenge of adding such additional detail. While Shadow Weaver's design is very basic, the 4H's sculpting and level of detail in the face, hands and belt really help to bring Shadow Weaver into line with the other MOTUC figures.

I have zero interest in figures that look like they walked off the screen of a cartoon. The animated designs were (mostly) versions of toy designs that had been simplified for the sake of animation. This is something I hope the Horsemen take into consideration, and try to imagine what type of details could the toy version have had (even when there was no toy) that were dropped to make them animation-friendly, and add these details into the Classics versions. FANG MAN is almost there, but the head (maybe mostly the eyes) is still just a bit too cartoony. He's one I want to get, but I'll probably have to do some customization in order to display him with my collection.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Fang Man is a bit bright, but so are the Star Sisters. I think he'll look really good next to Clawful.

Filmation will bring some different armor & clothing styles that we don't have too much of in MOTUC, the more we get the more they'll blend in.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I like all the characters to look like the Cartoon! They have done a pretty good job so far so I am happy overall.

Yes we DO!!!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Heroic Warrior
    There's a happy medium that the sculptors need to find with the Filmation designs. All figures must go through the MOTUC machine so they match the existing collection. If you want a Filmation figure that looks EXACTLY like the cartoon, a new line will have to be created. The way it is now, and I'm glad... The Filmation figures have cues from the Filmation designs, but are ultimately MOTUC figures. The upcoming King Randor is a prime example of this.

Heroic Warrior
    I do want them to look like they stepped out of the cartoon. I love the way Fang Man turned out and look forward to future Filmation figures.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I want them classic & filmation blended. not completely like filmation. I want better detail & shading. I like that rough look but filmation style.
    example look at adora, bow or spikor.
    fangman could be less cartoony. in my opinion.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with the original post: Fang Man looks way tooooooooooo cartoony. I don't want my Filmation characters to look like they just stepped out of the cartoon. I think it breaks up the unified look of the Classics line. I had a hard time swallowing TG's line that Carnivus fits into MotU because he was Classics-ized. I love the character (cats are my favorite animals), but he doesn't convince me as being Classics-ized. I agree with other .orgers that Fang Man should be a better blend of Filmation and Classics.

I'm really looking forward to Lizard Man, but I hope they re-imagine the character to fit the line better and create a new skinny (but muscularly lean) buck.

I want the characters, I don't want a Filmation/comic/80's toy line/MYP accurate toy. (so I've had my disappointments, like Zodac's feet, Stratos' feet, Buzz-Off's head, Clawful's head, and Whiplash's head; but I've gotten over it - )

Yes, I want Filmation figures to look like they stepped out of the cartoon. The 4 Horseman are talented enough to give us this.