Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we want Filmation Characters to look like they just stepped out of the Cartoon>

Heroic Warrior

Do we want Filmation Characters to look like they just stepped out of the Cartoon>

Like most of the .orgers, I am stoked that we are getting Filmation-only characters now, but I have one concern — they will look too much like they just walked right of the cartoon. Shadow Weaver matched the MOTUC aesthetic quite well, but Fang Man, though he is awesome, looks just a bit too cartoony.

I would like the 4H to base their sculpts and paint on Filmation but not translate the characters identically. It would be better, IMO, to try and make these characters a bit more realistic so that they fit in seamlessly with the MOTUC aesthetic.

Anybody with me? Let's make some noise if so and keep our collections looking the most unified that they can!

(Can an administrator put a Q mark in the thread title, looks like I goofed)
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

think how much can be difficult to classicized a filmation style figure. its like classicizing mickey mouse, they are just four rounded lines. imo they didi a superb job!
    and we can say the same with 200x characters...aren't they too 200xish? chief carnivus, faceless one and count marzo face scultptings seem like they do not belong to classics.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I would like them to fit into the loom of the line. If the "200X" look can't be in Classics, than the Filmation look should be "run through the Classics" machine or whatever the marketing buzz words are these days.

Now I do think that Fang man fits.....but just barely.

Fang man to me looks out of place. I think they should make them fit more into the Motuc style. The faces/head sculpts are going to be the main issue here.

Heroic Warrior
    Caverns of Rakash (Formerly of Darksmoke)
    I think Fang Man is awesome the way he is.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    I want "Filmation accurate", not "animation accurate". No interest in a He-Man with no harness detail for example. To me, Fang Man is damn near perfect, as he's clearly the character from the cartoon but with 'realistic' details that 4H do so well.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

I want to look at the figure and say yes thatīs the character i remember but brought to the 21st century.

What was cool in the eighties maybe isnīt looking good nowadays, tastes change and i think they should take that in consideration.

My biggest problem is the lack of detail FILMATION designs have. In those days it wasnīt possible to do symmetrical designs.
    So characters like Entrapta, Man-At Arms, Clawfull or Tung Lashor suffered from that.

Now FILMATION designed characters like Kittrina, Icer, Octavia or Dylamug all can only profit from more details and maybe some asymmetrical accessories if you ask me.

You mean plain, simplified & symmetrical? No.

This is the Classics line, not the Filmation line.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Fang man to me looks out of place. I think they should make them fit more into the Motuc style. The faces/head sculpts are going to be the main issue here.
    fang man design, as all filmation designs, is really simple and have a lot of lacks. imo this is the best we can ask ffrom 4H in order to bilance both filmation accuracy and addition of details.
    some vintage classics like clawful and buzz off got the same threatment. they prefer to be more close to the classic idea of the charcter in order to do not lost the feeling and the original design.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I would like the 4H to base their sculpts and paint on Filmation but not translate the characters identically. It would be better, IMO, to try and make these characters a bit more realistic so that they fit in seamlessly with the MOTUC aesthetic.
    This is my wish as well. The plain undetailed Filmation look is not something that's going to be welcome in my MOTUC collection. See original MOTUC She-Ra Vs Bubble Power She-Ra. BP She-Ra is the better of the two. I want my future Filmation figures of Shokoti, Lizard Man, Octavia, etc to take a cue from BP She-Ra (and also Bow!), and have little added details to their armor, boots, bracers, etc. where appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    You mean plain, simplified & symmetrical? No.

This is the Classics line, not the Filmation line.
    ok. so then please change chief carnivus face too...

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draego-Man View Post
    I think Fang Man is awesome the way he is.
    Me too. Fangman is awesome. Perfect sculpt, new articulated jaw, 3 accesories...

In the other hand I dont want more Filmation variants like King Randor. This kind of things must be conventions exclusives.

Its awesome that TG always said he dont want to waste a slot with a new uncracked Roboto or 200X Roboto and we got this unrequested variant...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    Me too. Fangman is awesome. Perfect sculpt, new articulated jaw, 3 accesories...

In the other hand I dont want more Filmation variants like King Randor. This kind of things must be conventions exclusives.

Its awesome that TG always said he dont want to waste a slot with a new uncracked Roboto or 200X Roboto and we got this unrequested variant...
    I agree as well. I think Fang Man came out perfectly just the way he is, and fits very well with the rest of the Classics line. My hope is that they give that same treatment to the other characters (especially my namesake).

Well, the "classics machine" takes figures and makes them look how they might have looked if they had been a part of the vintage line....so I think they should continue that with the same attention to detail that they have been using. Simplistic, but adding little details here and there to make them MORE than the vintage figures, while still being nostalgic.

So while a 200X figure will become simpler, I think a Filmation figure should become a bit more detailed.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    We already have Filmation characters like Adora (minus panties which was more of a planning issue than a design choice), Marlena, Adam, Orko, Sorceress, Randor, Shadow Weaver, Catra, She-ra, Frosta ... All of them look like they just walked out of the cartoon to me and that's exactly what I like about them! So yes, *I* would like them to keep doing what they're doing.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Yes, Fang Man is perfect! Great job Horsemen!

More detail in the existing design for these characters (ie rivets, texture) is fine. I don't want to see changes in design just for sake of making changes like added armor or whatever.

I trust the Horsemens work, but you have to draw the line and stick as close to the original design as possible.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Man Fan View Post
    I agree as well. I think Fang Man came out perfectly just the way he is, and fits very well with the rest of the Classics line. My hope is that they give that same treatment to the other characters (especially my namesake).
    Yea, same opinion here too. No problems with him. I think it's like the difference between the movie figures and the original figures back-in-the-day. All part of the same collection, just a bit of a different style. Couldn't put your finger on it, but the difference was there.

That said, Fang Man is fine! Bring on Lizard Man!

I love when they look like they hopped off the screen. I wish they all did when we were kids and I'm happy to mix them in this way now. I say keep up the great work. Randor and Fangman look amazing.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

I am totally fine with the sculpted aesthetics of Fangman. He could definetly use a nice dark blue wash, but overall Fangman is looking really good and he will blend in perfectly among the likes of Clawful, Spikor and all those other "muppetheads"

I am MUCH more concerned about Eternos Palace King Randor. He is SO bland that it hurts! His medaillon doesnīt have any detailing to it. His belt hasnīt got any detailling to it. His whole wardrobe has not the slightest bit of a noteable wrinkle. And the golden parts look yellow-ish to me, although theyīve got a certain golden flake shine to them. But one would think that the kings crown would always look the same. Compared to his original release, the new crown looks cheap and cartoonish. Even compared to Marlena, the color seems just so wrong to me.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    I want my Filmation characters to look like they stepped right off the show. She-Ra 1.0 is the best figure in this line to me because of that. If the 4H want to add some detail, that's cool, too. I think what they've done so far is just right.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

I think all the FILMation styled characters released so far look amazing!!

No need to change anything in my opinion.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

From what I've seen of Fang Man I think he looks great as he is.
    He's far less 'cartoony' than he appeared in the Filmation series.
    He fits in really well with everyone else, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    ... So while a 200X figure will become simpler, I think a Filmation figure should become a bit more detailed.
    Well said!

Fang Man looks awesome as is. No changes needed an I hope other Filmation characters follow his lead!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I would like them to fit into the loom of the line. If the "200X" look can't be in Classics, than the Filmation look should be "run through the Classics" machine or whatever the marketing buzz words are these days.

Now I do think that Fang man fits.....but just barely.
    QFT

They should be adapted to MOTUC style as other charecters are/were.