Page 2 of 188 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Hm. Well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. Honestly I am surprised this line has lasted as long as it has! Sub-Only tactics are for a line where they NEED to know people are buying before hand - and that is a line that isn't doing as well as it was.

I'll get this sub and see how the year goes - I'll cut off the other toys if need be. I'm not sure I'll be doing it again...we'll have to see where this goes. I'm happy with my collection anyway.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    So far, I don't see anything wrong with the subscriptions. Its a fair bargain and we are getting what we paid for. This negativity and complaints really are coming from the "have nots." Prices go up and the people who have complained and spoke out against them have produced some of the most ignorant comments and statements I have ever heard. Mattel is not a charity group. These are high end collector figures and contrary to what some of the members here think, they are not entitled to them. I have been happy with the figures. I'm good with what we have gotten. I've had my problems with some figures, but they got fixed or replaced by Matty.

If you guys can't afford action figures, then don't complain. Don't even come to this forum. Go out and work to increase your financial status to improve your purchasing power. Hate Matty so much? Then make friends with Ebay or one of the fine online stores that carry MOTUC.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Somehow I knew that people were going to be all up in arms offended at this. He isnt doing this to offend or scare you into the sub, he is plainly telling you like it is. No one outside Mattel knows for sure just what the profits look like for this line, so dont assume they are making plenty of money and BSing you. Plastics are tied to oil prices just like gas, and the cost of production from raw material to plastics is increasing because people need to make more salary to survive in this nasty economy. Now add the cost of hand made product and small production runs. We are lucky the figs dont cost upward of $40 like most limited run toys. I love the line enough to eat the cost of a sub because there will be plenty of people falling off every year. Look at the whole picture and do your research before cryin wolf because it doesnt match the way you think it should be. Nobody likes it, but true fans will suck it up before they DO decide the small profit margin isnt worth it. That is the unfortunate effect of today's economics and, right or wrong, that's what it boils down to.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    I can understand Mattel to react like this. They want our money, that`s no secret.

Personally, as a cherry picker, I don`t feel any panic after reading it. Im a 32 year old guy. Im not easy to impress with tactics like that. Im not 8 years old anymore.

Last edited by Berserker79; July 19, 2012 at 07:36pm.

Fair enough, but I'll always pick cherries - or else go secondary.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I was under the impression even if the sub line failed the day of sales were strong enough to keep this line going --I REALLY hope I'm not reading that we could lose everything if the sub fails
    I'm willing to bet that the sub. #'s are at a jaw dropping low amount right now compared to previous years in which no one expected even Mattel, thus putting EVERY THING in danger.

What can you expect though with the super high price hike and so many international fans on the fence. I'm not blaming Mattel, but that's a formula for disaster.

As Scott said in a previous statement, if he had the chance he would of gone back and raised the figures $1 a year rather then $5 at once and I don't blame him.

That turned out to be huge problem and an even bigger pill to swallow for people when they get hit with some thing as big as that at once. To do it at a gradual pace and break people in over time would of went over much better.

All that aside, the one thing that really hurts Mattel in a spot like this is the whole "boy who cried wolf" scenario as people don't know what to believe any more. It is true? Or is it just another tactic?

Logic would tell you that things *could* really be at risk, but history tells you otherwise. *That* is some thing that they will have to live with.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I do not think it is devious at all. They are trying to ensure they get their money and we get our figures. It is not malicious either. Why is reducing production wrong? They are cutting costs where they can. I have noticed it is the same set of people who say the same negative things about the sub and some of the arguments are completely valid. However, being mad because they WANT you to buy a sub is not really valid IMO. The international fans should be upset since they are paying so much more. We on the other hand are looking at roughly $5.50 more a figure which is manageable. I'm not calling anyone poor but if ANYONE cannot commit to a sub financially I understand that logic. I will say this to cherry pickers as they are being called. The secondary market is going to be a nightmare going forward. With less units being made and only sub holders potentially getting them, places like BBTS will be able to create the market price as they see fit. I've seen first hand see people pay HUNDREDS of dollars to preorder Shadow Weaver, because the sellers created the demand and price. But trying to stick it to Mattel by going elsewhere could end up being as expensive depending on how mang figures you buy. I truly think every 2013 figure will sell for over $50 on the secondary market. Thinking you will get them for $30 shipped is not going to happen anymore. I just hope more people are happy than those who are bitter over the changes so we get more figures.
    I'm not sure where you get your information... are they theories? I respect theories. What makes you think I'm going to have a hard time getting the figures I want? Paying high mark ups is not a problem but i could also wait months at a time for those prices to go down. And yes... ramming a sub down the fans throats and giving subbers first shot at other figures so they sell out is a dirty move. I personally don't care because like I said... If I want them, I will get them. But i feel for the other MOTU fans. Mattel should have just made an all inclusive sub instead of sticking with the non-sub and/or sub items instead of offering first shot at non-sub items, this way it wouldn't be as much of a slap in the DOS faces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I can understand Mattel to react like this. They want our money, that`s no secret.

Personally, as a cherry picker, I don`t feel any panic after reading it. Im a 32 year old guy. Im not easy to impress with tactics like that. Im not 8 years old anymore.

And don't they get our money??? Pushing subs is not about ensuring they get our money, they do it to avoid overstock. TG even admitted that to a degree in one of his rants.

I notice TG is calling it "2008 pricing". That implies that they've been giving us a special discounted rate up until now, but that's not true.
    In 2008 the MOTUC price point was very high when compared to comparable toy lines. You could say that the "2008 price" was actually more like a 2011 price, three years early.

Costs go up, we all know that, but save us the sales patter, please.

I also notice he said nothing about customs charges pricing international customers out of the line. He'll change his tune when the sub numbers come in...
    Last edited by Tribal Spaceman; July 19, 2012 at 08:06pm. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Certainly, I hope MOTUC doesn't get the axe. But, setting aside the international and cost issues for a moment--huge issues in and of themselves, to be certain--decreased sub numbers shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone. For all of the vintage MOTU-only fans' love of proclaiming their wants the be-all-and-end-all of what should be produced, it's an illogical argument. Sadly, it's one that the execs at Mattel seem to have bought into (despite the fact that it leaves less room for new products), and now that they've started alienating the all-inclusive fans, they're paying for it.

I've never seen the level of furor and contempt coming from typically positive, all-inclusive fan groups as I did following the reveals. Loads of people were stating that the continued favoring of vintage MOTU and concept characters over highly-demanded POP and NA figures--coupled with the rising costs--was simply too much, and so they weren't going to subscribe again. In short, we want it all, we're paying for it all--but we're only getting a small fraction of what we want. I think it's interesting that even on this site--where there's a general attitude of contempt shown toward the POP and NA collectors by many of the other collectors--some folks who tend to throw shade our way are coming around and saying, 'Gee, as much as I don't like x-y-z, this year's showing was pretty unbalanced', and some of those same folks are even making overtures of understanding as to why we shouldn't collect the line anymore.

At the same time as you've got many all-inclusive fans turning their back on the subs, you've also got loads of vintage MOTU-only fans who--sure enough--are saying that they're going to bail on the line now that their precious Ram-Man and Mekaneck are coming, or that they're going to scale back to DOS buyer. (Something, by the way, that the all-inclusive fans have been warning Mattel about for over a year now!)

As sad as it is, what's playing out here is exactly what many of us have warned about for a while now. (Of course, what's even sadder is that the only people who really lose in all of this are those of us who are fans of more than just the vintage MOTU era, as the latter will have received the bulk of what they wanted.)
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Makes little difference to me - this all boils down to simple mathematics. The money I save by passing on figures like Netossa and the Fighting Foe Men will go toward picking up the handful of "must have" figures on the secondary market. The price increase and other strongarm tactics just means my list of "must haves" needs to shrink a little. And at $60 plus shipping for things like FFM, I'm sure I'll still come out ahead.

Honestly I've never seen a company more determined to put barriers between its product and potential customers. You're asked to commit to over $500 of merchandise that is 75% completely unknown and you have a few weeks once a year to do it. It's amazing that they've gotten enough subscriptions to keep the line going even up to this point, but it definitely reinforces that they're shooting for exclusivity rather than profitability here.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    It feels like only weeks ago Mattel was reassuring us that the MOTUC line was fine, no, doing great actually...now it's on the chopping block???

It would be so sad if the line did actually come to an end right as the Filmation characters became available.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

I would like to get a sub but unless they mark the package as being worth less than 15, i will get a custom charge for every figure, doubling the price I am paying every month. It's just to much, thanks to the greed of the UK govornment and postage service.

Wow, that is some pretty big news.Between paying for school and working less hours at my job in the next couple of years, there is no way I can budget for a sub in 2013 as much as I'd love to. Hopefully I can still pick up the characters I really want. I've had to be rather selective in my MOTUC purchasesz in the last year, and now even moreso wi th te price increase. Well, as long as I can score Ram-Man and Jitsu next year I'll be content

Heroic Warrior
    I kinda hope the sub numbers are low... And if the line ends, so be it. it's not fun anymore anyway... Too much BS. After Ram Man... it's a rap for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    It feels like only weeks ago Mattel was reassuring us that the MOTUC line was fine, no, doing great actually...now it's on the chopping block???

It would be so sad if the line did actually come to an end right as the Filmation characters became available.
    I agree.
    Hopefully it's just a scare tactic and the line really is fine, but I do fear this will push the casual fans away even faster.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

You know what, everyone??

SUB UP!!

Just DO IT.

I will not sit here in 2013 with the sausage fest on my shelves after supporting this line and every figure that has been released only to have it canceled without Angella, Glimmer, Castaspella, Kittrina, The Enchantress, Perfuma, , Sweet Bee, Entrapta, Scorpia, Rokkon, Stonedar, Granita, Modulok, Mantenna, Tung Lashor, Gwildor, Lodar, Blade, Saurod, Lizard Man, etc.

MOTUC is amazing. It can and will continue if you subscribe. International fans, work together. Or find an American friend to help with shipping.

I am only concerned about quality control.

If I get my two Netossa figures, and they are both broken or the paint is messed up, will there be enough customer service stock to replace them?
    Last edited by bcrduke; July 19, 2012 at 07:50pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I totally agree, we have been told Motu was basically safe and now it's not? I'm not usually a gloom and doom person, but im wondering if the sub sign-ups have been abysmal so far for this year causing this announcement to come out (I REALLY hope I'm wrong with this doubt )

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

You mentioned that Mattel "want our money" as if they were thieves. Is only fair that they charged money for a high end product. What do you expect?

If you don't want to purchase a sub then don't. Period. But it's true that suscribers get the line going for the rest of us.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

In Mattel's defense though, the 2013 subs. hadn't even gone on sale yet and they could now be facing a problem that they never saw coming, although they should have.

Just from a numbers standpoint they have an idea to where they should be at right now via subscriptions and they *might* not even be close.

I really hope some of you guys have better manners INRL.

"if you cant afford it...go work"...seriously. I havent read anyone in this thread say "I cant afford that". Even if they had I hardly think anyone would have the right to hand out glibe comments to someone they dont know. This is a community and if, IMO, youre not supportive to others in the community you are breaking it down.

I think many people are really analyzing HOW they spend their money not do I have enough. For some people $500 + Shipping & tax can be better spent else where...

I think people who cant be nice should be the ones leaving this forum!!!

I am actually worried about the line continuing. I already have my sub but it just doesnt look good. I hope i am wrong and that the line continues for a few more years.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I am only concerned about quality control.

If I get my two Netossa figures, and they are both broken or the paint is messed up, will there be enough customer service stock to replace them?
    Duh....No...

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I was under the impression even if the sub line failed the day of sales were strong enough to keep this line going --I REALLY hope I'm not reading that we could lose everything if the sub fails This is also VERY confusing too because it's made to seem that this is a dire situation, but Scott had said before that the subs were doing VERY well in past posts and there was nothing to worry about--is that the case or not?
    It's the reverse; he's said that the line could continue on just fine with only subs and that day-of sales were just gravy.

And yeah, this does make it sound like the line is in trouble, when that goes against EVERYthing he's said about how it is doing over the past year. I am not even A LITTLE bit worried that MOTUC won't meet the number of subs it needs to continue....especially since BBTS will probably order a lot more subs than in the past given that they will apparently be the only place to get some figures.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    it was probably all the people, myself included that said, "I'm not buying a sub in 2013" and all the threads with casual statements guessing the '13 subs were going to be low do to all the DR BS... That prompted TG to offer the "Perks" to sub buyers.

I think TG is really saying "too few subscribers=line cancelled." 4 more figures in 2013 and that's it. So if there are no more figures, the secondary market won't help you much!

The line exists because of subscribers. If you want figures, subscribe. Even if the line continues because enough subs sell (or some other reason) secondary prices will be higher due to lower quantities. The price you pay on the secondary market will add up, possibly even surpassing the price of the entire sub depending on how many you buy.

If you can subscribe, your helping create a future for Masters of the Universe, it's that simple.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!