Page 12 of 188 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Heroic Warrior
    I'll try yo be positive, and I'll only say this : I hope and pray with all my heart that MOTUC will survive until 2015.

Of course, with everything that's going on at the moment, it's far from being guaranteed...

Trying to exclude or ignore the "cherry pickers" is NOT a smart move, since this line is BOUND to have more and more people cherry picking due to price increases, QC issues, some weird figures (Spector, Cy-Chop) popping up, and problems related to the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    But they are Scott! The party mix approach is no longer effective now that the vintage is winding down and the prices are shooting up.
    Exactly, yes.

Toyguru:
    You've had 4 years of MOTUC. Expect in 2013 a similar release of figures from across factions. MOTUC needs to appeal to completists first. And a completist by definition will take anything and everyone. We just can't make the line for cherry pickers anymore. So really, for the demo that is needed to support the line, further reveals shouldn't be needed. (if you take my meaning)

Can't he see that the demo he's looking for are not supporting the line in 2013, if they were there would be no need for his "sub or die" message. Varying decisions have made them non completists so having further reveals or even teasers/lists of them (which is better) ARE really needed to spark their faith back in and make a cherry picker into a completist as well (like me this year and next). Thinking people will take anything and everything is not the way to go, this isn't July of 2011 anymore. After the constant problems 2012 have been made, TG really needs the WoW factor to extend one way or another. Giving us a "rough drafted" list of faction reveals and a sub extension with more PowerCon name/picture reveals is a great way to do it. Also, NOT shortchange those factions like PoP and NA in terms of accessories.
    Last edited by Count Judas; July 20, 2012 at 06:16am.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I really hope we are not preparing for the end of MOTUC. The new business model is perfectly acceptable if this is where they want the company to go. However, they should adjust their expectations and expect things to possibly slow down this year. Making money is fine but with reducing production and raising prices, they should be in a much better position going into next year versus all of the previous years. So with that logic, subs should be able to drop and not be an issue unless they have made no profits before on MOTUC which is not a possibility. I do agree that anyone on the fence should just sub up and put anything they don't want on here or ebay at cost. Potentially they could even make a profit after unloading their unwanted depending on the market. But losing $5 a figure is not bad and possibly equates to the secondary cost of the figures anyway. Let's keep this line alive!
    I'd love to keep it alive as long as possible.
    The problem is that Matte...err, I mean economy makes it impossible for me to buy a sub (which according to TG seems to be the only way to keep this line going).
    And it's a 10 $ increase for international fans (plus tax). If there "only" was the 5 $ increase I'd have bought a sub already... but like this? No dice
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Some thoughts...

Hope I'm wrong but I always said that Ram-Man's year would be the last one for the line...

Ram-Man were the heavy hitter they saved to emergency cases... knowing that no collector would be satisfied without him in his/her collection...

Now seems to be emergency time... Last year's numbers were poor in sales and subscriptions, the overload of items featuring a mixed bag of characters with some not so popular ones... no matter what they say (they will never admit the line did poorly or they were wrong producing some item) this year is not making the bosses happy enough (perhaps they expected a big increase since they put more funds for the 30th anniversary) and the bosses are only happy with more money than last year and that's really really difficult if the subs are not selling really really good this year... (increasing prices wont help but I understand why they need to do that)

And on top of this, when the line crashes no manager would like to show himself at any Con if the line ends without producing the most requested character (every manager knows that since minute one of the line)... and the situation is not better now that two charaters based on TG were produced...

On the other hand, another desperate tactic is to resurrect the secondary market (those guys buy lots of figures to resell if they know they can get some profit) With most of the international customers outpriced, many US subscribers going cherry-pickers (due to the price increase or a not enough appealing lineup), and making the "extra items" a really difficult thing to get for non subscribers, they are trying to incentivate not only to get a sub (that wouldn't work in most cases because If you can't afford it you can't and that's all, no way to change it) but to make those resellers to get more subs and all the stock of "extra items" they can to resell them to all the cherry-pickers that are going to be unable to get the figures they want on DOS...

I can't blame TG or Matty to try to make their bosses happy and keep their jobs even if they need to kill teh lien to do it... it's their business and is up to them... but please don't blame fans.

I really think that we are closer to an end than ever...

Just my oppinion.
    Last edited by Calderon; July 20, 2012 at 06:37am.

We had a 30th anniversary?

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    I will buy 2 subs as i always do but im really feeling for cherry pickers, i know that Mattel want to push subs but why alienate cherry pickers so much, everything is still selling out or is mattel pulling its stock, if so WHY? Why cant they have enough stock to run for atleast 2 days atleast. Give everyone an equal chance of getting a brand they love. If motuc dies in a year or so and mattel states that we didnt support the brand i would be bloody annoyed. I really hope they arent shooting themselves in the foot.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    We had a 30th anniversary?
    That's a good one

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    I really hope they arent shooting themselves in the foot.
    That ship has already sailed:

Mighty-Spector-400x601.jpg

Court Magician OptimusOfGrayskull's Avatar
    Does anyone think revealing a few more figures, even if it's just their names, would help? I love all the reveals from SDCC, but I can see how some characters like Fang-man, Netossa, and the FFM would be met with lower enthusiasm.

I bought a 2013 sub and I hope the line continues.

It's really terrible that day of sales seem to be going the way of the dodo. I always purchased a few extra items to share with the nephew and was hoping to do the same for the niece when some nice POP gals came around, but it looks like that might be impossible to do now.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Court Magician
    The fact is that the line was always going to have limited shelf life - there are very few hardcore fans and most casuals only want certain figs. Then there are people like me who are huge fans but still only want certain figs too.

I am absolutely 100% out of the sub from now on - too much pressure to have stuff I don't want.

If line ends so be it - shame but hey. Will take my chances to get stuff from secondary market whatever cost. Happy paying premiums rather than for crap I don't want or need.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Toy collecting is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. Now though, it's becoming a chore, something to be dreaded and avoided. I subbed this year, but I'm going to be on edge each month regarding card clearances and import fees.

It's not fun any more, and I wonder how much longer I can be bothered.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

I am an international buyer and I admit that I rely on the secondary market to get my figures. I still have a lot of MOTUC figs to collect, and I am hoping that I will be able to get the figures I need for my own collection. I believe that production costs are getting more expensive. I am just hoping that everyone will get what he or she needs. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    I don't think they can even do that legally anyway. With a private seller, they can get away with fudging customs because nobody is going to care...it's just some random person selling stuff. With a big company like Mattel, it's totally different. If they start lying about their items' worth to fudge customs that's a big deal.

TBH I totally understand that Mattel's hands are tied on the customs issue. It really sucks (even for us 'Nucks) but really you can't blame Mattel, you can blame our own respective governments and postage services.
    They could get around that, though. They could keep the figures at $22 and charge us a "handling fee" to make up the difference.

Figure: $22
    Handling fee $3 ($5 for day-of-sale items)
    Shipping: $14

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    HOWEVER...the policy that they can't replace or refund international orders is just absurd. I'd be a little less bothered by it if they had said "International orders can no longer be replaced, only refunded." But to not have any insurance whatsoever from Mattel that something I bought and paid for will arrive?? And at $40 per figure?? Like, are you joking??

Why doesn't that policy extend to US buyers? Are international buyers total scum who just rip off Matty left and right? The only reason I can think of is that Mattel doesn't want to eat the cost of replacement packages, but in that case...just offer a refund. If they changed that policy, I'd feel a bit more comfortable with subbing at the increased cost.
    If I buy from MattyCollector next year, whether as a subscriber or on the day of sale, and my package fails to arrive, I will be insisting on a refund or replacement for that item. I don't care what nonsense they have in their small print - if I buy something I expect to receive it. I'm not going to moan or complain about it - Mattel are a business, not an ogre, but fair is fair.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Well after reading the latest on Matty it seems official that day-of is going away. The cherry pickers are dead. The sub numbers are way below minimum so subbers could be next. I have said this so many times that it is burned in my brain that I don't understand how a company makes it so hard to buy a product and then turns around and blames the customers for not buying. I have finally figured it out I think. Mattel wants to end this line. I think there is a movie and other media in the works and this line is in the way for a movie line or something else. I even remember Scott saying before that to start a new line every few years or so is Mattel's business goal to make you buy all the characters all over again. That's what it comes down to everyone. Even if we had the numbers I don't think it would matter and you would not be told the truth. After sitting back and taking it all in I am convinced the real reason is Mattel wants this line gone.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Spaceman View Post
    [B]
    If I buy from MattyCollector next year, whether as a subscriber or on the day of sale, and my package fails to arrive, I will be insisting on a refund or replacement for that item. I don't care what nonsense they have in their small print - if I buy something I expect to receive it. I'm not going to moan or complain about it - Mattel are a business, not an ogre, but fair is fair.
    This is not solely directed at you, but I do not understand what part people are missing.

1) International Post (which isn't really a "thing", it's just the name for the agreements that various countries have to ship each others mail) does not offer tracking.

2) Legally, Mattel is obligated to send you the package - but once it is given over to the shipper, if you choose a shipping method that does not offer tracking, their liability is done. It's in the International Posts hands.

3) Previously, Mattel has replaced these for free - for some people, 3-4 months worth of figures, beasts, etc., based only on the word of customers.

4) International shipping is known to be horrible, because it can be lost, or held up at customs, or any number of things outside of Mattel's control. Because of this, they offer what is one of the lowest priced trackable international services with DHL. Yes, it is much more expensive - but Mattel cannot just invent a new shipping company, or force "International Post" (which again, doesn't really exist as it's own entity) to start using tracking.

I hate HATE to be "defending" Mattel, but these are the facts of the situation. I do *not* envy anyone in this predicament. But in this case, I do see the point - Mattel is not liable for lost packages by International Post, but up until now they have given the benefit of the doubt. But with all the threads and Mattel's statements, it's clear that MOTUC are getting held up at customs or elsewhere.

This is why many sellers on, say, eBay, refuse to ship internationally. Because there is so much risk involved. So Mattel has really two options here - let people pick a trackable service like DHL, or stop selling to international customers period.

With all the shady stuff Mattel does, this is really one of the "telling it like it is" things, and they DID give an alternate option. Yes, it's crazy expensive - but for some, it will be better than just saying, "No more international sales".

As to why the U.S. is different - every method of US shipping is trackable, and therefore you can hold the shipper accountable for lost packages.

It's sad, but it's the reality. I know it infuriates people, but as someone who has shipped a lot internationally - it's a very risky proposition, and sending out 3-4 months worth of product twice to people, and paying for shipping again, was obviously draining the bottom line.

Keyboard Warrior The Blue Beetle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    ...this line is BOUND to have more and more people cherry picking due to price increases, QC issues, some weird figures (Spector, Cy-Chop) popping up, and problems related to the subs.
    And sadly, Mattel knows this, which is most likely why they've chosen to adopt the "sub-only" mentality.

I believe Scott has said before that MOTUC is only guaranteed through 2013. So 2013 sub sales will quite literally determine whether the line continues or not. I think this “all or nothing” strong arm tactic isn’t going to persuade many more people into buying subs.

I suspect that 2013 is the end. If not, I only foresee getting just 12 monthly figures in 2014, all of which will have very minimal tooling.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I'm sure he is replying and trying to save as much face as possible - I've said it before, but a "super fan" is about the only thing people can say positive that "qualifies" him for this line. Truth is, a "superfan" is the LAST one you want running a line - any business person will tell you that - and Scott has proven them completely right. He keeps blaming the fans - it's his mismanagement that has driven people away more than anything else.
    Good point. They didn't let Rudy start for Notre Dame

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Ouch.

I can't believe it's so bad that we need a thermometer.

In the UK the rule is that the sender is responsible for the item. This is the same for sole traders, big businesses, everyone. It's a fact that international post is unpredictable, slow and unreliable, but that doesn't mean companies can use it as an excuse when an item goes astray. It's bad practice, and unfair on the consumer. If they'd moved to a "no replacements only refunds" policy I would understand, but giving us nothing is a real kick in the teeth.

The alternate option they have given is prohibitively expensive, unless you're a scalper with multiple subs. I'm sure they could have cut a deal with DHL and scored us a hefty discount. If a subscriber chooses the more expensive shipping option they are committing to twelve packages being sent out over the course of a year with DHL, so we shouldn't be paying the same rates as you'd get for a one-off transaction.

I also don't understand why we haven't been given the option to "save up" our items and have them shipped out every two to three months.
    Last edited by Tribal Spaceman; July 20, 2012 at 08:13am.

Q: are those figures worth 35 euros (42 dollars)? NO

youre blackmailing us TG....you know that feelings and memories are much stronger than passion and you act accordingly.
    I know its your job. but then dont say us youre a fans like us. you never didnt threat us gently (like everybody else with their customers) and everytime is like: take this or leave....we have the toys, we have the power.
    the power to

I'm not worried. I feel this is just a pull to get people to buy a sub. "Buy a sub your were not going to make your figures anymore, woooooooooooo(ghost noises)."

Anyways, the year Matty doesn't have Castle Grayskull up at SDCC will be the year I start to feel panic. The fact of the matter is the the MOTUC line has the two things any business would love to have, continuity and a built-in fan base. If they cancelled the line they would be taking away a reason for adult collectors to buy toys at all and the collector website would serve no purpose.

I did buy a sub. Not out of fear of cancellation, but because I'm fan of the action figures.

Heroic Warrior
    And sadly, Mattel knows this, which is most likely why they've chosen to adopt the "sub-only" mentality.
    Yeah... and this "sub-only" mentality is what might spell the demise of this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Did you ask your niece or neighbor's daughter if she'd like a pack? I'm sure she would have loved the gift!
    As much as i'd love to buy toys for all the little boys and girls, I can't afford and don't want to afford to buy stuff I don't want just to give it away. I still can't get rid of the Star Sisters for what I paid for them. On ebay people are selling them for £6 each. Almost giving them away!