Page 10 of 188 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    And...he answered you already!
    Oh, wow...that was REALLY quick! I hope he read the entire message and not just the title! I do appreciate him answering my question, though. It makes me feel better about being a loyal customer and subbing from 2010-2013.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    What's funny is that not six months ago he talked about how management was now seeing this as a viable line and was dedicating more resources to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    What's funny is that not six months ago he talked about how management was now seeing this as a viable line and was dedicating more resources to it.

Hmmm....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh, wow...that was REALLY quick! I hope he read the entire message and not just the title! I do appreciate him answering my question, though. It makes me feel better about being a loyal customer and subbing from 2010-2013.
    See. How often will you get someone from a toybrand on the spot like that?

Heroic Warrior
    This feels more and more like empty PR, since all of a sudden all of his responses have a very negative "better buy a sub" spin to them.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    When they're "off the clock" probably not many. It's really hard to genuinely answer that question as lots of big name people Twitter and such now (and I don't really follow the goings on too closely with other toy companies), but I do think it's fairly rare and I do appreciate when we get our questions answered.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

I do give it up to Scott for answering frantic motu fans' questions in the middle of the night, lol.
    He's done it plenty of times before, on his time off.

I get it. If I could, I'd get a sub (or 2), but as someone who unfortunately can't make that commitment anymore, they'll be getting less of my money as well by blocking me from day-of sales. I love MOTUC, but it is one of MANY brands/licenses I collect, one of the most expensive and often the biggest pain in the ass to collect (quality control, ordering issues, now an all-or-nothing sub on top of a significant price increase?)...Again, I understand, but Matty is making the decision for me at this point.
    Last edited by I, Harbinger; July 20, 2012 at 01:43am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Hmmm....

One that is crapping his pants in clean-up mode because of the disaster of sales that prompted his long, detailed "sub or else" post.

I'm sorry, but the reason this line is falling is because of Scott. He has mismanaged it into the state we are in - he has not fixed the Digital River issues, his word is worth as much as chalk on a sidewalk during a hurricane, he has continually chosen figures to put in the line based on his personal tastes and not much else, he has engineered this whole "let's invent new characters while you still have many dozens of classics you want made", I mean...it goes on and on and on.

I mean, that's not even to talk about the way they do business in general - you won't find many companies that expect customers to sign up for $600+ (with shipping) for items mostly unseen, ESPECIALLY with the poor track record they have. And 4H's sculpts can't keep carrying the line now that Mattel has been messing them up one after another (Tallstar, Sorceress, Stinkor, etc.).

I'm sure he is replying and trying to save as much face as possible - I've said it before, but a "super fan" is about the only thing people can say positive that "qualifies" him for this line. Truth is, a "superfan" is the LAST one you want running a line - any business person will tell you that - and Scott has proven them completely right. He keeps blaming the fans - it's his mismanagement that has driven people away more than anything else.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I'm not super thrilled with the "scare tactics", I instinctively shut down whenever anyone tries to strong arm me to buy something. I'll admit to being a bit worried about the long term future of the line. A lot of the big characters from the vintage line have been done, and I think those were the biggest "sub sellers" so to speak. The line looks like it is heading into an "all in" mentality. Some of the big characters they have left are not really that big when you look at the scope of things. yes I love Glimmer, Crita, Tongue Lasher and Horde Troopers, but are they "sub bait" like some of the earlier releases. I mean not just for me of course, if those figures had been revealed as the 2013 lineup I would have personally hand delivered my check to Mattel for the sub,

Going forward...I think they need to reveal more of the lineup if they want the sub to be the only option. I know they can't show figures all of the time, but I would feel much more confident about a sub if I knew, say, the first half of 2013. We saw what we did at SDCC, and then got a list, with the understanding that things CAN change, of other characters scheduled up to June. Not pictures or anything, but just knowing the slots. We could make more of an informed decision for a $500+ purchase that is largely on good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    You know what, everyone??

International fans, work together. Or find an American friend to help with shipping.
    Why not our "American Friend" Scott can do that ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Eventhough someone at Mattel screwed up at the beginning of the year 2012 was still one of the best for MOTUC and Mattel. Heck Hasbro's distribution is far worse than anything Mattel and Digital River combined. Scott has to one of the Best Brand Mangers I've every seen, he gives a lot attention to the line and keeps fans updated than any other toy line I ever seen. Plus for a 30th Anniversary I must say Mattel did quite a bit for us. Just take a look:

Star Sisters, three unproduced POP figures, they were fan demanded, and that was three POP figures in one month!
    Fisto, Fan Demanded Figure, gave 200X fans 200X unproduced sword, 200X head, and 200X belt!
    Sorceress, Highly Fan Demanded, did not have a figure produced since the vintage line!
    Shadow Weaver, Our first Filmation figure, never produced, Highly Demanded figure! Could count as a POP figure
    Fearless Photog, A never produced CAC figure from the vintage line, many fans talked and asked if this figure would finally get a figure in the Classic line was introduced!
    Kobra Kahn, Fan Demanded Figure, gave us extra head with hood!
    Thunder Punch He-Man, A popular vintage variant and included one thing every damn fan wanted since the beginning of the line, the return of the MINI COMICS!
    Draego-Man, Our first never seen in any media figure and quickly became a fan favorite!
    Stinkor, High demanded figure, 200X head, 200X air tanks, and 200X mask and his stink! Has not had a figure made since the vintage line!
    Slush Head, Highly Demanded NA Figure! Has not had a figure since the NA days!
    Horde Prime, Only seen behind smoke during Filmation Series and in UK comic! So technically it is our second Filmation Figure and our First UK Comic figure wrapped in one!
    Snake Man-At-Arms, Demanded 200X variant! Fans said Toy Fair prototype could be better. Scott LISTENED and made figure look more 200X and vintage at the same time! Plus it gives us another Snake Man!
    Griffin, Our first 200X creature! Fans didn't like color of prototype wings! Scott LISTENED and they were changed!
    Spikor, Very Highly demanded figure who had not seen any media attention since the vintage line!
    Snake Men 2-Pack, King Hsss can now have an army which many fans have wanted to do for a very long time! Plus 2 Snake Men in 1 Month!
    Frosta, Highly demanded POP vintage figure, not seen since the vintage days! Fans didn't like the prototype face, Scott and the Horsemen LISTENED and they're going to make sure it is damn perfect!
    Dragon Blaster Skeletor: Very popular vintage variant! Oh what's this Fans wanted to see a Skeletor released with the new arms and legs introduced with Kobra Kahn? Scott must be listening again!
    Temple of Darkness Sorceress: Mini Comic Variant! Gives fans with King Grayskull a place to display his orb! Fans noticed boots in comic looked more like Teelas, Oh look Mattel changed it!
    Mekaneck: Highly Demanded Figure!
    Rattlor: High Demanded Figure! Another Snake Man!
    Filmation King Randor: Our first Filmation Variant, Our third Filmation Character! A fan demanded variant many wanted see back in the vintage days!
    Dekker: A character introduced from the 200X series that never had figure made, included second head, gives fans Man-At-Arms 200X mace!
    Mosquitor: Very Highly Demanded Figure not seen since the vintage line! Scott's teasing all the way to his full reveal at SDCC quickly became a fan favorite, where more fans are asking for future figures to be revealed this way! It was fun for Pixel Dan, Scott, and all the fans. Just shows that Scott is one of us and loves this line as we all do!
    Granamyr: Possibly one if the highest demanded figures the fans across the world have wanted to done since the vintage line. He will now be the tallest MOTU figure ever produced!

Yes not every fan got what they wanted but in 2012 we sure the hell got and are still getting a lot of what you the fans wanted! You asked for Mini Comics, you got mini comics, you wanted more 200X and extra head you got it, you wanted Mattel to get the right to make Filmation figures you got it! Plus lets not forget the MOTU Hot wheels at the beginning of the year and Icon Heroes Letter Opener, Business Card Holder, and Castle Grayskull! New Comic by DC Comics!

So for me 2012 is the best year and best way I think Mattel could have done the 30th Anniversay!

Now for 2013 so far we have:

Netossa, Fan demanded vintage POP Figure, original was very hard to find! Technically you could say we got six POP figures from January 2012 to January 2013 (Starla, Jewelstar, Tallstar, Shadow Weaver, Frosta, Netossa)!
    Ram Man, Highest demanded figure since the introduction of MOTUC, Opens the the door to other characters with a larger body! Second Head comes from 200X
    Jitsu, highly demanded vintage figure!
    Fang Man: Another demanded Filmation figure many fans have wanted to see made since the vintage days!
    King He-Man, Open the door to a series never produced that many fans had been interested in!
    Fighting Foe Men, New Characters!, New Faction! The highly fan demanded mystery vehicle drivers! New female character that is not MOTU or POP!
    Strobo, introduced in uk comic never produced in vintage line!

So far that is just nine figures in 2013, with many MOTU vintage figures out of the way with still more to come I see more NA, POP, Mini Comic, 200X, UK Comic, and Filmation characters to spread out the last remaining years. Heck if add all them up this line could last into 2020!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    You make great points except for the Snake Man at Arms being a "much requested 200X variant"... I don't recall seeing a huge push for this guy

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Strobo, introduced in uk comic never produced in vintage line!
    I thought Strobo was from a comic in one issue of the U.S. MOTU Magazine? You do make some good points, though.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 20, 2012 at 01:58am.

So if you are on the fence as to whether or not to get a sub, remember, day-of may not be an option anymore. DAY-OF STOCK WILL BE EXTREMELY LIMITED and MANY FIGURES WILL NOT HAVE ANY DAY OF STOCK IN 2013.
    It's amazing how we went from one exclusive sub figure per year to potentially multiple, random, and secretive exclusive sub figures! Perhaps sales wouldn't be down if Mattel would stop working so hard to alienate their customers.

I didn't want to be right that 2014 would be the winter for this line.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

And through fear we shall govern!

Now Showing
    Blade
    Coming Attractions
    NA Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    And through fear we shall govern!

When all the brands the brand manager is in charge of are declining, canceled, or soon to be defunct it's not surprising. His primary responsibility is marketing the Matty Collector brands and enlarging the customer base. Declining sales are ultimately his responsibility. I don't blame him for trying to get sales up but it's the wrong way to go about it.

Mattel needs to look at how they run things under Scott. He was brand manager of 2 of the most popular lines in recent history, DCUC and MOTUC. Fans couldn't get enough, but distribution and Mattel price gouging have but both on their death beds. Even the Green Lantern lines were garbage, I don't know what other brands he's managed, but the track record isn't looking so good.

J

Due to the words said by Scott, I will not be renewing my two subs for 2013.
    -Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze

Here's an interesting thought - Let's just say that maybe Toyguru is right and that there may not be some DOS figures - if it is a figure you don't want...how easy will it be to get full purchase price for it?

There may be an extra bonus or two for holding a sub next year.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    He's not getting a sub outta me.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    “...lost” or “not received” shipments will not be replaced or refunded. But im not into gambling!
    Sorry, but under these circumstances i can only say: " To hell with it!"

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    Here's an interesting thought - Let's just say that maybe Toyguru is right and that there may not be some DOS figures - if it is a figure you don't want...how easy will it be to get full purchase price for it?

There may be an extra bonus or two for holding a sub next year.
    Is that minimal bonus worth the high cost of further alienating customers? Mattel seems to be better at giving fans reasons not to buy products than providing incentives to purchase them. Why not just give subscribers more perks such as a special U.S. based customer service email and phone number instead? Mattel should focus on increasing the value of the subscription instead of decreasing the value of being a cherry picker!

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    “...lost” or “not received” shipments will not be replaced or refunded. But im not into gambling!
    Sorry, but under these circumstances i can only say: " To hell with it!"
    Man.... I Love You FOR THIS !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Bought my sub. For better, or for worse, I am sticking with this line. The only demand is in this generation...MOTU will be all but forgotten in another 30 years...this really is the last chance to get these figs how they should have always looked. There is so much about the PROCESS and MANAGEMENT of the line I HATE, but just like a lot of other things, sometimes you have to take the good with bad.

In my 30 years I went from trading anime VHS tapes over IRC that were crummy copies of crummy copies from Japan, to a booming well produced domestic anime and manga economy of 1998-2006, to back to trading links to find crummy uploads of crummy Japanes Blu-Ray rips.

The point being, we have MOTUC now, and we should support it, otherwise we won't have anything...the kicker is that Mattel KNOWS this and exploits it...but given the alternative, I would rather put up with Mattel's BS.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!