Page 104 of 188 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 4680

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I agree! And will probably up my sub from 2 to 3. But I would advise everyone only to sub what you're comfortable with, and you have a plan with those extra figures (I will probably customize my extras and/or give to my friend). The worst thing would be for everyone to oversub, and then in 2014, their wives or bank accounts realize they made a big mistake, then we're doomed this time next year. But, I guess it's better to push off the inevitable as long as we can. Stay together folks, we need to save MOTUC!

I don't dislike TG or Mattel, but I agree, I think more could be done on their end. I want to stay positive, but I realize the problems and empty promises pushed many off the edge. Fans and their pocket books are the only ones that can save MOTUC. It's always been that way, but now more than ever.
    His idea of selling subs is telling the fan community how dire the situation is and then letting us spread the word to buy. MATTEL is not doing anything to support the line like we have. Hjs comment is so laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    *What's Mattel going to do if we don't make it: refund all the money and ask people to subscribe or preorder something different?
    If they think sub numbers are low NOW, they will drop even further if they refund everybody's card for the current 2013 sub and then try to scramble up another sub option of fewer figures for double the price. Imagine the outrage, the confusion, the cluster$%# that would result from that? The line will definitely die then. Part of me thinks we're good to go- that they will push forward with the current 2013 plan despite the drop in subscribers and just sell a bunch of figures DOS like they have for the past several years. Netossa will eventually sell out. The FFM will sell out. History tells us that nothing is ever going to stay in stock on Mattycollector from one month to the next unless it's something like the Snake Mountain stands. And then there's the other part of me that feels "Nope. We're done". It's felt like a very schizoid week for this fan...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    The DCUC sub looks like it never even had a chance
    It never had a chance last year either if I recall correctly, yet somehow conspicuously it pushed forward anyways. The same thing will probably happen this year, too!

I wonder if most or all of the lost subscribers are even here, or paying attention anymore. Do they think it's not worth their hanging in there just two more years? The character selection, if that was really the deal breaker, is being addressed--sounds even like it was the easiest grievance to address too. There will not be another 3-pack (even a cool one like Two-Bad or Movie character-based). I'm amazed that the FFM are worth the line dying to anyone, even compounded by other problems. The message has been sent so it's not like anything is accomplished withholding a sub now. That leads me to think most people are just done, Ram Man or no, and I'm kind of baffled how they can be that turned off in just a year--and a year with so many great releases to counteract the "duds" which are now going to be even fewer. There won't be another 30th anniversary line to disappoint, and besides that was something extra anyway. Of course we may also be at the point where all the remaining characters, even vintage, each have insufficient fans to bring enough people back again.

Scott sounded so optimistic on RGD, but I wish I knew what he knows (not slamming him for being positive, I appreciate that more than the gloom and doom believe me). No matter what groups are holding out to subscribe, it's hard to believe that 60-70% or more of subscribers last year (let alone just the 50% needed to get the minimum this year) are all waiting for their pay check. I mean many probably are, that's understandable, but considering how far behind we are I don't know that any sale patterns from last year can explain this year. Scott seemed to think the buyers are out there and will come through. I am so worried they won't though because of how far behind we are and how slowly we're climbing in progress. By now it's starting to feel like people see it's in trouble so maybe they're going the other way.

I wish people were having my MOTUC experience. I have not had the shipping problems. I have avoided the payment problems. What I most hated was the WSOD and the lack of Shokoti, Scorpia, Illumina, Geldor, Lodar, Dakkon, and Lizard Man in the line--characters some whom probably won't happen now for sure AND YET I'm still not quitting the line for that even though they do mean as much to me as Ram Man or Modulok means to the most rabid vintage purist. I wish they were as happy with it all as I am, I wish I knew what would make that possible. The price isn't nothing for me, but like Pixel Dan, this is the one I am committed to. I'll stop buying DVDs, Kit Kats, Star Wars, DCUC to keep this line as my indulgence. I am profoundly sad for anyone who can't afford it even on those terms, and I'm actually scared if that many previous subscribers can't. But I'm only sorry if so many ex-subscribers can but just won't. Mattel may have made many many mistakes, but we could have finished this (or been much much closer to finishing it) in two years with a little more commitment. If that's still not good enough, I think we might have lost a lot more than just this line.

I really hope that if Matty doesn't make the minimum by the 6th (god, this line could end on my birthday, the 29th anniversary of when I first discovered He-Man in the first place? Say it ain't so!) that they do consider extending the deadline and/or opening up sub sales for Power-Con and go with a "if we get the min, we'll start shipping Feb/March" rather than just ending the line. I don't think anyone who has subscribed would rather the line died than be late next year.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 28, 2012 at 02:03pm.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I wonder how many subs Scott bought.
    He should know that Mattel needs to sell more subs to save the line...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I wonder if most or all of the lost subscribers are even here, or paying attention anymore. Do they think it's not worth their hanging in there just two more years?
    Makes me think of William Daniels portraying John Adams in 1776 singing "Is Anybody There, Does Anybody Care?"

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Something just occured to me. How is it possible that there are not enough people to sign up to the 2013 subscription but there was enough to sign up to a 30th anniversary subscription to make those six figures possible? weird

History lesson...
    I just dug through the old posts in the DCUC Frustrations thread... and the 2012 DC sub was in the EXACT same predicament MOTUC is in right now. At one point it was just over 50% with a day or two to go... at the last minute they announced another figure- Poison Ivy- they extended the sale by one week, then by TWO weeks- I think in the end they gave it til like Aug 24th before cutting sign-ups off. Then on the last day...
    they announced they still had not reached 100% and would have an announcement a week later.
    Go back and read through some it for more specific details of how it all went down, but it's eerie how history repeats itself one year later.
    Then, Matty's announcement:

"Hi DC Universe Club Infinite Earths fans!

We have some good news...the 2012 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription program is moving forward! As you know, we did not hit the number of subscribers we were seeking for the club, but we know that there are some very passionate DC Universe fans, so we found a way to make the program work.

Current subscribers will get 6" and oversized figures according to the schedule that was originally communicated at San Diego Comic Con and online. All figures that have been revealed will be part of the subscription program.

In order to make the program work, we needed to raise prices for day-of sales. So if you are NOT a subscriber, you will be paying more for the figures on the day of the sale. The good news for subscribers is that you are locked in at the subscription rates previously advertised.

And the even better news is that we are exploring re-opening the subscription program for a limited window of time. We've heard fans online posting that they wish that they had subscribed, so now you'll get that chance. Be on the lookout for more details and dates next week.

We still have more good news, we are excited to reveal the winning club exclusive figure...Metron! So all of the subscribers will get their very own Metron, along with his Mobius Chair!

All of this good news will hopefully mean a fabulous start to the weekend for all of the DC Universe fans!

-FanGirl 2.0 "

Now, MOTUC has been at the 50% for about a week, with another week to go. Either they're going to name-drop some more characters to entice more subscribers, or extend the sale... or they're just going to go through with 2013 and raise the DOS prices VERY substantially. This makes me feel better. I think it's going to happen. If it doesn't, then Mattel hasn't tried hard enough like they did last year with DCUC. They released more names, extended the time frame WAAAY beyond what they originally announced, and still came up short but DC fans are STILL getting (most likely) a 2013 line. Not only that, but despite the sub not meeting 100% of what was needed, in 2012 they STILL got oversized figures, a fan-choice figure that required a 100% newly tooled chair (Metron)...
    I mean, really. Just saying...
    Last edited by zodak74; July 28, 2012 at 02:25pm.

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    History lesson...
    I just dug through the old posts in the DCUC Frustrations thread... and the 2012 DC sub was in the EXACT same predicament MOTUC is in right now. At one point it was just over 50% with a day or two to go... at the last minute they announced another figure- Poison Ivy- they extended the sale by one week, then by TWO weeks- I think in the end they gave it til like Aug 24th before cutting sign-ups off. Then on the last day...
    they announced they still had not reached 100% and would have an announcement a week later.
    Go back and read through some it for more specific details of how it all went down, but it's eerie how history is repeated itself one year later.

We have some good news...the 2012 DC Universe Club Infinite Earths subscription program is moving forward! As you know, we did not hit the number of subscribers we were seeking for the club, but we know that there are some very passionate DC Universe fans, so we found a way to make the program work.

Current subscribers will get 6" and oversized figures according to the schedule that was originally communicated at San Diego Comic Con and online. All figures that have been revealed will be part of the subscription program.

In order to make the program work, we needed to raise prices for day-of sales. So if you are NOT a subscriber, you will be paying more for the figures on the day of the sale. The good news for subscribers is that you are locked in at the subscription rates previously advertised.

And the even better news is that we are exploring re-opening the subscription program for a limited window of time. We've heard fans online posting that they wish that they had subscribed, so now you'll get that chance. Be on the lookout for more details and dates next week.

We still have more good news, we are excited to reveal the winning club exclusive figure...Metron! So all of the subscribers will get their very own Metron, along with his Mobius Chair!

All of this good news will hopefully mean a fabulous start to the weekend for all of the DC Universe fans!

-FanGirl 2.0 "

Now, MOTUC has been at the 50% for about a week, with another week to go. Either they're going to name-drop some more characters to entice more subscribers, or extend the sale... or they're just going to go through with 2013 and raise the DOS prices VERY substantially. This makes me feel better. I think it's going to happen. If it doesn't, then Mattel hasn't tried hard enough like they did last year with DCUC. They released more names, extended the time frame WAAAY beyond what they originally announced, and still came up short but DC fans are STILL getting (most likely) a 2013 line. Just saying...
    I could be wrong about this, but the DCUC line didn't require as much new tooling as MOTUC does. So I think they need MOTUC to hit a higher number.

I hope you're right though, and Mattel has enough sense to keep 2013 whatever the final count is, because I think 2014 will be pretty hot, with a lot of the last major players.

History lesson...
    Go back and read through some it for more specific details of how it all went down, but it's eerie how history repeats itself one year later.

-FanGirl 2.0 "

Now, MOTUC has been at the 50% for about a week, with another week to go. Either they're going to name-drop some more characters to entice more subscribers, or extend the sale... or they're just going to go through with 2013 and raise the DOS prices VERY substantially. This makes me feel better. I think it's going to happen. If it doesn't, then Mattel hasn't tried hard enough like they did last year with DCUC. They released more names, extended the time frame WAAAY beyond what they originally announced, and still came up short but DC fans are STILL getting (most likely) a 2013 line. Not only that, but despite the sub not meeting 100% of what was needed, in 2012 they STILL got oversized figures, a fan-choice figure that required a 100% newly tooled chair (Metron)...
    I mean, really. Just saying...
    Yeah, i could easily see the DOS price be $30 for the regular MOTUC figure.

They could get away with the extension on the DC sub. though because if you remember the figures didn't come out in January. It wasn't until what? March or so that they started up with that?

A bit of a different scenario. Supposedly in order to meet the dates planned, the 6th is the absolute latest that they could go to with out potentially screwing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I could be wrong about this, but the DCUC line didn't require as much new tooling as MOTUC does. So I think they need MOTUC to hit a higher number.

I hope you're right though, and Mattel has enough sense to keep 2013 whatever the final count is, because I think 2014 will be pretty hot, with a lot of the last major players.
    True, but it's funny reading the same stuff from them one year later from that whole fiasco. The whole: "We need this much to move forward," and "If we do not reach the minimum the figures will not get made..." ad nauseum.
    I know MOTUC requires a whole heck of a lot of new tooling, but right now at this moment we are doing way better than DC was back then... heck, at one point they only had like 24% before the first cut-off date was extended.
    I'm expecting some more names to be released before next weekend (surely they will get on legal's behind if they are desperate to reveal more to entice more fans to sign up). Not sure if we'll get extensions like last year, but MOTUC isn't the only sub on the line here. ALL of them are. They can only benefit from pushing the date back. In a month or so, this will all be over... wake me up then, okay?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cammor View Post
    Yeah, i could easily see the DOS price be $30 for the regular MOTUC figure.

People are already paying more than that on sites like BBTS for Netossa, Jitsu, and Fang Man. OF COURSE Mattel could charge $30-40 on Matty for leftover stock of the monthly figures. I won't be shocked when they do.

There is another 2013 club commercial on youtube and it's actually pretty funny. It is stop motion and not horribly done.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Just some thoughts:

*I really wish we had a better way to track percentages (not the specific number of figures).

*What exactly is Toyguru doing to sell subs? I'm seen more work from board members here?
    As much as I like Scott and believe he gets a lot of grief for things he has little to no control over, I have to agree, especially with the second statement. He's made a video or two—great! But why isn't this frontpage news on Newsarma or Comic Book Resources? Where is a video from the 4H? If management believes in this line so much, why do they not step up and guarantee to replace non-trackable figures and, especially, that they are kicking Digital River to the curb? Why aren't they willing to go forward anyway and drastically improve shipping and DR options over the next year so that they get stronger sales in 2014? Why aren't they willing to lose a little bit of money on one of their corporate icons for a year or two until the movie comes out? Is Barbie's profit not enough to give the bare amount to subsidize this tiny, tiny line for a year or so? Why is so little promotional effort being put into a line that broke sales and television records in the 1980s? Why can't Matty learn from its past mistakes and not flood the market with extra product (which is clearly what they did in 2011 and why they've had to pull back on reissues)? Why aren't they willing to keep the coals glowing so that when the movie comes out we can help stoke interest into a bonfire? Why aren't they advertising MOTUC strongly on the Mattel home page? Many of these things they could do at no cost to the company?

I also think "about half" may be a very clever way of indicating that we are at around 60 percent or so. I'm not counting on that, and people who still haven't bought a sub need to buy a sub still. But why is Matty going to tell us that there has indeed been some good progress over the past week when that might make some people complacent. They'd be smarter to wait until Monday or Wednesday. Furthermore, any thing above 50 but less than say 60 is about half. Are we at 51%; are we at 57%; are we at 59.5%. We just don't know. I'm not being naive, but I do agree that they may not be telling us the whole story in a way that they would not be guilty of lying.

But buy the sub! They are squirming. They will make changes that have been demanded for years. If they don't, well, we all walk away in 2014 because the company doesn't even deserve to be in business.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

So I just sent Perez a message via Facebook along with the link to masque's kick-ass Club Eternia commerical...not feeling too hopeful though. :/

Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    I really don't get some of the people not subbing because of the perceived 'poor' character selection... It seems some folk want every vintage character no matter how cr@p they are, but refuse to accept any new characters no matter how good they are... Me, I just love cool figures, whether they're 'new' or 'old'.

But, looks like it's all but over... Damn my tastes for being so eclectic!
    Not everyone who cherry picks is a slave to vintage. I have been a very selective buyer all these years and I left out a ton of vintage characters like Stratos, Clawful, Whiplash ect. as well. I simply just want to buy figures I think look cool. The reason why I am more vocal against stuff like POP and Filmation has nothing to do with them not being vintage but more with the fact that I think many of the character designs from those factions look very simple and uninteresting to me. This year I will buy figures like Cy-Chops and Castle Grayskullman because I think they look fun but skip on figures like Mekanek and King Randor because I do not like to own them. Pad yourself on the back for your eclectic taste if you want but please accept that for whatever reasons there are people out there who do not want to pay for a lot of figures they do not want.
    I did buy a sub for 2013 because I do not want to see the line end but I am not happy about ending up with a lot of figure I would not normally consider buying.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    History lesson...
    History lessons do not apply, for the most part. MOTU sub begins in January - DCUC didn't start till May this year. That's an extra 5 months between SDCC and the deadline for the irst figure to go into production. In hindsight, MOTUC sold the minimum number in 48 hours, so Mattel knew they had the minimum number to go forward with production. That gave them the luxury of offering the Club Eternia sub well into September. The figures were being tooled, all they had to do was up the production numbers.

This time around, we need to hit the minimum, or it all goes away on August 6th. However, if we do meet the minimum number by then, I bet they extend the deadline like always, and do another drive during Power Con knowing they're going thru with it.

Heroic Warrior
    True, but it's funny reading the same stuff from them one year later from that whole fiasco. The whole: "We need this much to move forward," and "If we do not reach the minimum the figures will not get made..." ad nauseum.
    I know MOTUC requires a whole heck of a lot of new tooling, but right now at this moment we are doing way better than DC was back then... heck, at one point they only had like 24% before the first cut-off date was extended.
    I'm expecting some more names to be released before next weekend (surely they will get on legal's behind if they are desperate to reveal more to entice more fans to sign up). Not sure if we'll get extensions like last year, but MOTUC isn't the only sub on the line here. ALL of them are. They can only benefit from pushing the date back. In a month or so, this will all be over... wake me up then, okay?

- - - Updated - - -

People are already paying more than that on sites like BBTS for Netossa, Jitsu, and Fang Man. OF COURSE Mattel could charge $30-40 on Matty for leftover stock of the monthly figures. I won't be shocked when they do.
    How much new tooling does MOTUC really need. I mean, maybe for this year, but they could do a 2014 lineup that includes some heavy hitters and classic characters without much new tooling — Shokoti, Scorpia, Ninjor, Clamp Champ, Tuvar and Badrah, Flogg, 200x Adam, etc. etc.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    History lessons do not apply, for the most part. MOTU sub begins in January - DCUC didn't start till May this year. That's an extra 5 months between SDCC and the deadline for the irst figure to go into production. In hindsight, MOTUC sold the minimum number in 48 hours, so Mattel knew they had the minimum number to go forward with production. That gave them the luxury of offering the Club Eternia sub well into September. The figures were being tooled, all they had to do was up the production numbers.

This time around, we need to hit the minimum, or it all goes away on August 6th. However, if we do meet the minimum number by then, I bet they extend the deadline like always, and do another drive during Power Con knowing they're going thru with it.

I still have a feeling suddenly that it's going to go through anyways. They know if they keep it open through Power-Con when there'll be more reveals that they'll sell more figures. I have a feeling it's going to be at like 60% when the cut-off actually happens, but they'll go ahead with whatever number of figures equals that 100% mark- and that between mid-August and late September, the number of subs would increase to a number more to their liking. And whatever percentage they are left sitting on, those would be the limited DOS stock sold at like $35 a pop.
    Or I could be completely full of it and we'll be dead in a week and a half... this is me trying to be optimistic... LOL.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    So I just sent Perez a message via Facebook along with the link to masque's kick-ass Club Eternia commerical...not feeling too hopeful though. :/
    Chin up Tallastar, Perez is a cool cat. he may surprise you. It's a niche kind of news bit. Could be intersting....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Toyguru always said that he would make sure that Ram-Man would get released, before he was shown, no matter what before the line ends?

Now he's saying that is not the case and the only way to get RM is to sub for 2013.

J

In the event the worst happens and the line does get cancelled. Are there any 200x figures that are good to display with the Classics? I know they're different styles, but was thinking Ram Man and Two Bad might be ok. Whiplash too. It seems that the oversized figures might work ok. Too bad they didn't have Glimmer, Angella, Kowl, and Mantenna.

(Checks out Gaga tweet) Sorry, what are we talking about?!?
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think we'll get this answer, but do we know how many of the SALES are actually in the 1-2 vs. 3+?

Let's say there's 100 buyers and 2,000 subs. 95 people bought 2 subs, and the remaining 5 bought 1,820 subs. 95% of the buyers bought 1-2 subs, but their purchases were less than 10% of the overall subs.

If the re-sellers are bowing out, then no matter how hard we try, we simply won't reach the numbers needed.

My other question (and I'm pretty sure this was brought up elsewhere, but I didn't quite read it this way, so I'm throwing it out here - maybe again):

because of the cost increase, maybe they need to sell more subs. Last year, we were told MOTUC could be cut in half and the line would still be fine. This year, we're at just about half to meet the MINIMUM. Which means that either we've lost 75% of the subbers, or the minimum was raised to still keep the cost at $25 and not higher.

...I guess the second one isn't really a question, more of a postulation.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Toyguru always said that he would make sure that Ram-Man would get released, before he was shown, no matter what before the line ends?

Now he's saying that is not the case and the only way to get RM is to sub for 2013.

J
    I don't hate Scott but he says whatever sounds good at that exact moment. He is most definitely using Ram Man as a bargaining chip at the moment to sell subs. Just like telling us for almost 2 weeks "we are working on a thermometer." I'm sorry but no they're not. It would take their IT dept 15 minutes to get it up. I've been here 4 months and have been put off by so many contradictory statements he has made. IMO essentially he is a politician representing us, but we never voted for him. However, Mattel would have to be completely oblivious to miss out on the revenue Ram Man would provide for them. Regardless if he is being honest, saying Rammy won't be released is currently a huge threat IMO. Or he has lied previously when he promised him no matter what. So the only way he won't have lied is if the sub goes through. That is the single option to not expose his manipulative statements. Or Mattel gives us Ram Man out if the kindness of their heart. I can't wait for this fiasco to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    Just like telling us for almost 2 weeks "we are working on a thermometer." I'm sorry but no they're not. It would take their IT dept 15 minutes to get it up.
    Wow, you have a lot of faith in Matty's webmaster!
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!