Page 11 of 188 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

There is plenty of doom and gloom being shot around.

Last year I did not subscribe for 2012, for the first time. I was a subscriber from the moment they were first announced, but I sat on the side lines this year and picked what I wanted. I did miss out on Fisto of course which completely stinks! However, this was the risk of not doing a subscription.

This year I have decided to subscribe again, but mainly because the showings at SDCC this year blew me away far more then they did last year. So while all our international fans are being vocal and saying they are jumping ship (which I completely understand with the increase in cost to you folks) there are some of us coming back and purchasing subs. I'll admit not enough to make a significant impact for some of our drop-offs I'm sure, but hey thats one positive.

This economy is still in the tank and this really is a luxury item to be collecting. Unfortunately prices are increasing across the board for all items. Look how much a gallon of milk costs in the US now, and with the news constantly reporting about how severe of a drought we are experiencing, prices are expected to continue to rise. If we just take the example of the cost of milk the price is expected to spike in the next 6 months. The main reasoning is the feed for our dairy cows (corn) will be in a much lower supply and the commoditity prices will rise because of the shortage in supply. This is just for a gallon of milk.

The point I'm trying to make is that costs are skyrocketing and obviously our hobby is affected by it. I do not agree with the way some things are worded in these statements like a lot of us fans, but the truth is Masters of the Universe is a strong property for them and even though these are limited runs of toys they do for the most part sell out, atleast the monthly figures do. Obviously the demand for windraiders is not as strong as our love of the actual figures, but thats a live and learn thing for the line.

By locking in 2013 subscription numbers they have the budget for the year to make the figures and have a budget for how much tooling that can be realistically done. So yes, it may seem like pushing the sub is unfair and under handed but at the end of the day it is how the health of the line is gauged.

The only part I see them shooting themselves in the foot is with saying that day of sale items might not be available for every figure this year. What is the point of having an online store if you are limiting the ability to actually sell things? I understand companies don't want to tie capital into inventory and have it sit there so that is the cold hard fact for pushing subscriptions but it just limits the ability for growth, but at $27.00 there may not be room for growth. I digress.

Everyone has their bottom line on what they are willing to pay for something so I understand the choice of drawing the line in the sand, I did it this year after all.

However, for the 2013 sub...
    I contributed, I voted, and I look forward to a great year of amazingly detailed figures that I get to display and relive some memories with.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll be getting a sub maybe two...I love the figures and I want more than just the vintage stuff...more NA, POP etc etc. bring it on.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    What's funny is that not six months ago he talked about how management was now seeing this as a viable line and was dedicating more resources to it.

No, I believe he was referring to Mattycollector, not specifically MOTUC.

But I seriously hope they have some amazing plans for that site if all the lines go to the chopping block.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

If the line dies that is fine by me. No skin off my junk. I will just put my collecting dollars towards the fantastic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classics. Did I mention they are retail and go for about $16. Kinda makes you think huh?

Where do they get this "high end" crap? For a line that is exclusively dependent on the re-use of parts and cheapening out on paint jobs and accessories, it sure doesn't seem very high end to me. You can get better quality figures from other companies that are better value with unique sculpts and superior paint apps.

They are just trying to profit at the expense of consumers and Scott is selfish who exploits his position for personal reasons without any thought to customers/fans.

I think that's the death knell of MOTUC. Scott/Mattel have managed to kill the line through sheer greed and stupidity unless the masses don't mind being exploited and abused for another year.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    So we've went from let's all get the cherry pickets, to oh no not enough people are buying the sub lets blame the international fans, how dare they not want to pay double the standard price for a messed up figure.

Bravo Matty at least you're keeping it fresh
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Since Toyguru is pleading for more people to subscribe, I decided to ask him why PoP and NA fans should subscribe in 2013 (discussions I've actually seen taking place in numerous threads). I really hope he answers!

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7&r=3191088667
    Lol at the compelling argument he gives

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    What kills me is all of the smug "I got what I wanted so I don't' care if the line ends" comments in here. NA, PoP, and 200x fans are DYING for attention, and most WILL sub if they are shown that their niches are going to get more attention. Scott has ample opportunity to fix this sub crisis...but he won't do a damned thing about it.
    To be fair, NA/PoP/200x fans probably have less reason than anyone to buy a sub. And probably should just get their stuff on the secondary market as these are the figures people will be looking to ditch first.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Maybe i should sell my figures and buy me some Hottoys? After the whole MotU Fan being lost a lot of its beauty to me, the last month

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Where do they get this "high end" crap? For a line that is exclusively dependent on the re-use of parts and cheapening out on paint jobs and accessories, it sure doesn't seem very high end to me. You can get better quality figures from other companies that are better value with unique sculpts and superior paint apps.

They are just trying to profit at the expense of consumers and Scott is selfish who exploits his position for personal reasons without any thought to customers/fans.

I think that's the death knell of MOTUC. Scott/Mattel have managed to kill the line through sheer greed and stupidity unless the masses don't mind being exploited and abused for another year.
    Greed and stupidity? Kup, you do realize it was because of his intelligence and chutzpah that this line got started in the first place? You have to admit that it's been a good run roster-wise since the line began. Juggling all those eras would be daunting for anyone. You want greed? Check out Hot Toy's average price point nowadays.

This is just a matter of adjusting performance to expectations, or lowering (managing?) expectations to fit the performance. The one consistently outstanding perfomer here is the 4H. Everything else, from the paint apps to the assembly of these figures have been anything but. The slack has to be picked up somewhere and now would be a great time to step up on some of the tougher "logistics"-defying fan requests.
    Last edited by Inhibitor; July 20, 2012 at 03:30am.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

I am confident that TG's comments were directed mostly to DC collectors. That line barely went into production last year and the numbers will probably not make it this year.

Does it apply to MOTUC, yes, but I doubt we have much to worry about for the time being.

Outside of Digital River complaints, those moaning about Mattel's business strategies need to go back to business school. Trust me, the powers that be have thought long and hard about MOTUC and Mattycollector and what works best for them in today's economy.

And to those crying "scare tactics", are you kidding me? You honestly believe that Mattel is soooo desperate to make $$ that they are reduced to "scaring" people into buying their product. Please. All TG has stated is what has come down from upper management regarding this NON-RETAIL line.

I have been saying this since Day 1, the only way to see MOTUC roll out for years is to come is for everyone to subscribe. Those cherry pickers who only want a small percentage of the figures announced, I can understand not subscribing. But those of you who buy a majority of the figures, but do not subscribe, I find it a bit annoying. I subscribed to the DC subscription last year because I wanted 1 figure. And I have had no problem selling the others and getting my money back. Is it a pain. I guess. But it guaranteed my figure. And that's how MOTUC will be guaranteed to continue. By subscribing.

As a subscriber from Day 1, I will say that they still need to add more perks to being a subscriber. But sadly, this will be irrelevant when the day comes that this line is subscriber only.

So in the end, I hope those that purchase a majority of MOTUC, and can afford a sub, do so and help keep MOTUC going strong.

Since I have no interest in buying a sub, this news doesnt even concern me I'll get the few figures I want one way or the other... I do think its the wrong move to have NO or almost no 'day of' stock. I always thought it would end up a Subscription Only, but I didnt think it would happen in 2013.
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Why do I get the feeling that day-of sales will "sell out" even faster than this year, just to "prove" TG's/ Mattel's statement? And by "sold out" I mean "sold out Gy-Gor style"...
    Just to evoke the impression of shortage.

Imo there seem to be no qualms for this company to urge people into buying a subscription.
    Such a sad time for being an international customer...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery
    Can you do a sub meter for MOTUC? Like the one you have on DCUC? Clearly, we need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    We'll look into it. At this point we may need one. We were not expecting too which is why one was not prepped.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    I am confident that TG's comments were directed mostly to DC collectors. That line barely went into production last year and the numbers will probably not make it this year.

Does it apply to MOTUC, yes, but I doubt we have much to worry about for the time being.

Outside of Digital River complaints, those moaning about Mattel's business strategies need to go back to business school. Trust me, the powers that be have thought long and hard about MOTUC and Mattycollector and what works best for them in today's economy.

And to those crying "scare tactics", are you kidding me? You honestly believe that Mattel is soooo desperate to make $$ that they are reduced to "scaring" people into buying their product. Please. All TG has stated is what has come down from upper management regarding this NON-RETAIL line.

I have been saying this since Day 1, the only way to see MOTUC roll out for years is to come is for everyone to subscribe. Those cherry pickers who only want a small percentage of the figures announced, I can understand not subscribing. But those of you who buy a majority of the figures, but do not subscribe, I find it a bit annoying. I subscribed to the DC subscription last year because I wanted 1 figure. And I have had no problem selling the others and getting my money back. Is it a pain. I guess. But it guaranteed my figure. And that's how MOTUC will be guaranteed to continue. By subscribing.

As a subscriber from Day 1, I will say that they still need to add more perks to being a subscriber. But sadly, this will be irrelevant when the day comes that this line is subscriber only.

So in the end, I hope those that purchase a majority of MOTUC, and can afford a sub, do so and help keep MOTUC going strong.

Fantastic post!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Ouch.

Even if this is true - TG HAS to say something like that to keep people buying subscriptions.
    The people "have to" if they want to see their line continued.
    And let's be honest - would anyone be surprised if sub sales were THAT low?
    A lot of international support can't be retained anymore and I'm sure many people that bought two subs in 2012 only bought one for 2013. OF COURSE sub sales are lower than before!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Even if this is true - TG HAS to say something like that to keep people buying subscriptions.
    The people "have to" if they want to see their line continued.
    And let's be honest - would anyone be surprised if sub sales were THAT low?
    A lot of international support can't be retained anymore and I'm sure many people that bought two subs in 2012 only bought one for 2013. OF COURSE sub sales are lower than before!
    It has only been a week, and I totally agree with intl customers falling away in droves, but it's still unsettling. It was like we were invincible last year, but this year we're in the hot seat. Seeing as how the secondary market crashed for alot of these guys, I wouldn't be surprised to see the reseller contingent drop off sharply too.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    At the end of the day virtually every single MOTUC figure seems to sell out, so I don't really see the problem with the model they currently have.
    But hey, I'm just a not very business savvy pleb ain't I? As I'm subbing anyway, their 'smart' plan seems to have worked.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    And to those crying "scare tactics", are you kidding me? You honestly believe that Mattel is soooo desperate to make $$ that they are reduced to "scaring" people into buying their product. Please.
    Mattel? No. Scott trying to save his job? Yes.

If you don't read his statements up until now as scare tactics, I could see you giving the benefit of the doubt. But this last very long, detailed, "SUB OR DIE" post? Come on, I have never seen such heavy handed tactics come out of a representative of a publicly traded corporation before.

If you choose not to see it, so be it - but those blinders must be awful big, because this isn't reading between the lines - the guy is outright telling people to be scared, all but begging them to sub. He is watching the bed that he made come unraveled, and is grasping at everything possible.

For our sake, I hope it works - but Scott has lost any respect he may have ever earned in this latest turn of events, as far as I can tell. Then again, you can't trust the guy further than you can toss him, as has been shown on many, many occasions, so either anyone who does not sub is going to be left without, or Scott is a scare tactic monger who will say anything to sell. In any case, it speaks horribly on him as a brand manager.

I'm still getting the sub, but was thinking of tackling two this time, but the overall cons outweigh the pros for me to get two subs now. I'm still collecting from the 2010-2011 line-ups. Mattel's says the main demographic are for the completists to get the subs but don't they see that many have changed their ways and become vintage only collectors, faction pickers, cherry pickers to even dropping the line altogether. Price hike yet decrease in accessories, more empty promises about better CS, questionable design "choices", international shipping cost rise are all factors that many completists are stating is their main cause to NOT subscribe anymore. Even resellers are buying less subs in 2013.

To help in all this, perhaps revealing certain details of future characters or at least stating faction characters (ie., 3 Vintage, 1 GR, 2 Horde) may help sway them back into the fold, especially since the sub has that specific deadline which won't be reinstated, per TG's words, which I think is a big mistake. A limited time window should be opened up around Power Con then to let buyers feel it's best to sub afterall and go all in 2013.

TG: "We do have more POP and NA planned for the year. If you have a sub you get them!"

He dodged the question regarding the accessories being cut on these figures in which others (their personal faves) are still getting what's expected, at the very least. TG is stating that if we sub, we'll get more PoP and NA but does not want to answer if they will be released with the same production value placed in them as other PoP & NA figures have before that were sold for a lot less (like Catra, Icarius). Should we expect certain figures from these factions to be shortchanged in 2013? Doesn't look promising based on his lack of a real answer. For different reasons, people are just not subbing into MOTUC: so as each pillar in this line begins to fall, the manager of the building just wants the rent money without stating if he'll fix them. I want a proper manager, not a slumlord for this line.
    Last edited by Count Judas; July 20, 2012 at 04:28am.

When I read some of the posts here, they remind me of a battered wife who always stands by her husband no matter how much he abuses her.

For those who are able to see how Scott and Mattel are treating the line and the fans, good for you. Your eyes are open and you can see things for what they really are. For those who still insist on apologizing for Scott and Mattel despite all that's happened over the last few years...

MOTU deserves better.

if they wanted it to sell better maybe they should have treated POP/NA fans better lol.
    i dropped from 2 subs to 1 last year and i have not got a sub yet this year, after how they have treated Illumina i don't know if i will get one at all

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

There's bound to be stuff I don't have room for in the sub (like Jitsu and FFM) and the resale market here in Finland is non-existent. So I won't be getting a sub this year either. I'll support the line by buying my figures through BBTS.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Yes I also don't see where the problem has all of a sudden appeared from because if this line was in trouble there would still be figures available to buy on Matty besides the 'essentials'...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    I'm still getting the sub, but was thinking of tackling two this time, but the overall cons outweigh the pros for me to get two subs now. I'm still collecting from the 2010-2011 line-ups. Mattel's says the main demographic are for the completists to get the subs but don't they see that many have changed their ways and become vintage only collectors, faction pickers, cherry pickers to even dropping the line altogether. Price hike yet decrease in accessories, more empty promises about better CS, questionable design "choices", international shipping cost rise are all factors that many completists are stating is their main cause to NOT subscribe anymore. Even resellers are buying less subs in 2013.

To help in all this, perhaps revealing certain details of future characters or at least stating faction characters (ie., 3 Vintage, 1 GR, 2 Horde) may help sway them back into the fold, especially since the sub has that specific deadline which won't be reinstated, per TG's words, which I think is a big mistake. A limited time window should be opened up around Power Con then to let buyers feel it's best to sub afterall and go all in 2013.
    I like these ideas. Sounds reasonable.

TG: "We do have more POP and NA planned for the year. If you have a sub you get them!"

He dodged the question regarding the accessories being cut on these figures in which others (their personal faves) are still getting what's expected, at the very least. TG is stating that if we sub, we'll get more PoP and NA but does not want to answer if they will be released with the same production value placed in them as other PoP & NA figures have before that were sold for a lot less (like Catra, Icarius). Should we expect certain figures from these factions to be shortchanged in 2013? Doesn't look promising based on his lack of a real answer. For different reasons, people are just not subbing into MOTUC: so as each pillar in this line begins to fall, the manager of the building just wants the rent money without stating if he'll fix them. I want a proper manager, not a slumlord for this line.
    One more:

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    You've had 4 years of MOTUC. Expect in 2013 a similar release of figures from across factions. MOTUC needs to appeal to completists first. And a completist by definition will take anything and everyone. We just can't make the line for cherry pickers anymore. So really, for the demo that is needed to support the line, further reveals shouldn't be needed. (if you take my meaning)
    But they are Scott! The party mix approach is no longer effective now that the vintage is winding down and the prices are shooting up.

I really hope we are not preparing for the end of MOTUC. The new business model is perfectly acceptable if this is where they want the company to go. However, they should adjust their expectations and expect things to possibly slow down this year. Making money is fine but with reducing production and raising prices, they should be in a much better position going into next year versus all of the previous years. So with that logic, subs should be able to drop and not be an issue unless they have made no profits before on MOTUC which is not a possibility. I do agree that anyone on the fence should just sub up and put anything they don't want on here or ebay at cost. Potentially they could even make a profit after unloading their unwanted depending on the market. But losing $5 a figure is not bad and possibly equates to the secondary cost of the figures anyway. Let's keep this line alive!