Page 33 of 188 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Quote Originally Posted by SSj3 Derek View Post
    Yeah, you are making the mistake of thinking it actually looks bad. This is stopping production of a toy line, not stealing food from orphans. They arent going to have a massive boycott if they end MOTUC.
    So canceling a toyline without a valid reason doesn't have repercussions on a brand's reputation. No, there won't be massive boycotts or anything, but people will think twice before collecting any of their future product.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Honestly, during the several years I spent promoting The Star Sisters, not once did I ever see folks coming out in droves to speak-out against them in any of my threads. It was only after they were unveiled at SDCC that some folks started freaking out, mostly about the price-point. But the colors were absolutely a part of it too.

To be fair, there aren't many people that protest the 'idea' of these characters... it's the reality that gets people up in arms..

I've seen people pushing for Marlena Varients... Pink teela... Pink Sorceress... Yet then complain when Straight repaint MAA came out.

Back when you were campaigning heavily, the community was more "I hope everyone gets what they want!!!!" Then as policies changed, it turned to "Oh Crap!!! You mean I have to PAY FOR THAT TOO?!?!"

Well, you can't boycott something that's over. LOL. But I hear what you're saying. After collecting JLU I really thought twice about investing in this line after Mattel's handling of that line. Now I see why. I'm here til the end, but I'm really going to re-evaluate any Mattel lines I am tempted to collect in the future. It's like everything is constantly on thin ice.

So why can't they keep the subscription time open longer than 8/6? I would think if any year would require an extended subscription time, it would be this year. I don't remember anyone clamoring for Mattel to stick to their sub sales end date last year... does anyone remember this at all? I'm just wondering where this comes from. Why on Eternia would anyone demand Mattel stick to some arbitrary date? what purpose does that serve?

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    These characters no matter how much you like them are some of the least desired figures in the entire line. It wouldn't change if they were different versions of the same characters.
    As individual releases in their toy deco, I feel they would have had just as much of a chance to impress folks as something like Icarius and other NA figures. For a time, NA figures, especially the Galactic Guardians, were notoriously thought of as uninteresting. But that really started to change thanks to the 4H's updates.

Anyhow, once folks started getting The Star Sisters in hand, it seemed to me that several of the detractors starting coming around about them. Personally I think most folks are fine with these characters. It's just that some tend to turn on them when they feel like they're not getting what they want out of the line.

Where has it been said they are taking a loss on the line? A loss on international shipping does not equal a loss on the line.
    Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure in the past Scott has made statements saying that the line is just barely breaking even or not really making a profit, and then folks like bcrduke would disagree with what he had to say.

The point still stands, though. It makes no sense whatsoever for Mattel to ditch this line if sales on the 2013 subscription don't meet their expectations. Scott already said that when/if the movie happens, the Classics would likely be what they release at retail and that the online collector figures would get more resources allocated to them. Huge awareness is created when a movie is released. Sales would eventually pick up.

Heroic Warrior
    As individual releases in their toy deco, I feel they would have had just as much of a chance to impress folks as something like Icarius and other NA figures.
    I have to disagree with you there. The only thing that makes POP desiriable to many, including myself, is that they're using Filmation designs. As much as I like Catra and Swiftwind, I would have had zero interest in either of them if they had used their vintage designs.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

So any response from TG? Have sales gone up?
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Widget
    The video was handled well,

I really wonder why we are being told the line is ending. The post should be on the front page of MattyCollector if Scott really wants people to know. Most people on the Matty forums and here just a small part of the fanbase according to TG. Several times we have heard how small of a part we are of total purchases, so why aren't they sending out an official email from mattycollector saying "Save MOTU Classics?"
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahthatsme1973 View Post
    So why can't they keep the subscription time open longer than 8/6? I would think if any year would require an extended subscription time, it would be this year. I don't remember anyone clamoring for Mattel to stick to their sub sales end date last year... does anyone remember this at all? I'm just wondering where this comes from. Why on Eternia would anyone demand Mattel stick to some arbitrary date? what purpose does that serve?
    Some fans didn't like the sub extensions last year, so Mattel said that they wouldn't do it again. I don't know why extending the sub is a bad thing, so someone will have to explain it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    So any response from TG? Have sales gone up?
    We might hear something early next week. Stuff happens on the weekends and Friday was a payday for many.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. The only thing that makes POP desiriable to many, including myself, is that they're using Filmation designs. As much as I like Catra and Swiftwind, I would have had zero interest in either of them if they had used their vintage designs.
    Thing is, they're not Filmation designs. They're almost direct translations of the versions that appear in the final issue of the POP magazine, which are different than the ones in the cartoon. There wasn't really any demand for either of those. It was always about the toys.

Monster High Crazy Detective Lubic's Avatar
    They only thing I can think of is, The delay would put them behind like they were this year with all the push out dates.. Other than that I got nothing...

Heroic Warrior
    As individual releases in their toy deco, I feel they would have had just as much of a chance to impress folks as something like Icarius and other NA figures. For a time, NA figures, especially the Galactic Guardians, were notoriously thought of as uninteresting. But that really started to change thanks to the 4H's updates.

Anyhow, once folks started getting The Star Sisters in hand, it seemed to me that several of the detractors starting coming around about them. Personally I think most folks are fine with these characters. It's just that some tend to turn on them when they feel like they're not getting what they want out of the line.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure in the past Scott has made statements saying that the line is just barely breaking even or not really making a profit, and then folks like bcrduke would disagree with what he had to say.

The point still stands, though. It makes no sense whatsoever for Mattel to ditch this line if sales on the 2013 subscription don't meet their expectations. Scott already said that when/if the movie happens, the Classics would likely be what they release at retail and that the online collector figures would get more resources allocated to them. Huge awareness is created when a movie is released. Sales would eventually pick up.
    Look I don't hate the figures or the characters, the figures are ok. But this fanbase would be even more upset about variants than SMAA. We don't need them, they already got produced and they are the least desired figures in the entire line, period.

And even though Scott said that, and that was the plan originally if MOTUC can't be profittable on it's own Mattel will kill it. And if a movie comes around and they release Classics in store Mattel may scrap the online line anyways and just push everything to retail?

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Lubic View Post
    They only thing I can think of is, The delay would put them behind like they were this year with all the push out dates.. Other than that I got nothing...
    I agree with this idea. Also, maybe Mattel is requiring them to have their numbers for the projected budget in much earlier this year. I think if Scott asked the fans they would all say keep the sub window open longer.

Just got home and took a look at the video, is it me or does he look exhausted and tired. Maybe all pressure of management, us fans from the torture he receives is getting to him. He really does seem to care alot about the line and does other things for us fans like the whole spector/mosquitor thing, the figure blogs, answering the questions on matty and other sites. I'm sure he doesn't have to do any of that **** but he does. Not really sure what the is to this post, but here it is

I have to say that I think the biggest mistake TG has ever made is trying to have a personal one on one relationship with this community. I personally love that he's a fan and that he takes time out of his day to answer our questions and give us updates on the line. But trying to be a fan/friend AND trying to run the line is impossible. He's doing what he has to do. Manufacturing costs are up, so he has to raise the prices. The line will continue if the subs are there, its not a retail line, Mattel has to know the demand is there to keep it going. He tells us there needs to be more subs and people lose their ****, he's trying to do his job AND give us a heads up because he doesn't want the line to end either. And for crying out loud, he can't please everyone, God knows he tries, I'd stumble over words and say the wrong thing too if I was trying to plan every sentence to keep the Apocalypse from happening in these forums. Some one said it earlier, common sense... TG and Mattel are not trying to **** you they're just trying to make a profit, and TG is trying go make everyone happy. Either you want a sub, you don't want the sub, or you can't afford the sub. For those who can't afford it, i completely understand, its expensive and I've had to sacrifice a lot to get one this year, but it's worth it. And for those who just don't want a sub, whether it be because they don't want everything or because they hate TG, that's fine, but don't complain about lower DOS stock or the fact that some items may not be available DOS, you have been given fair warning. This line has to have subs to survive, and if you want to be guaranteed a figure, get the sub.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I really wonder why we are being told the line is ending. The post should be on the front page of MattyCollector if Scott really wants people to know. Most people on the Matty forums and here just a small part of the fanbase according to TG. Several times we have heard how small of a part we are of total purchases, so why aren't they sending out an official email from mattycollector saying "Save MOTU Classics?"
    Scott never said this community is a small part of the fanbase. He said that a small portion of this community wanted Illumina, I love how this has translated into the Org is a small part of the fanbase.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    I personally detected an extraordinary amount of sincerity in this video, which only further solidifies my thoughts on the seriousness of the matter. The guy is legitimately fearful that MOTUC could end abruptly next year.
    I take a lot of pride in being "un-swayable", but I have to agree.

I know that the decision isn't coming from him, but from above him, and prior to his news, I was on the fence about the sub (leaning toward buying it). It just angered me so much that I felt like I was being pushed before having the chance to make my own decision.

I've decided, after hearing his voice and seeing his face that I'm going to back away from the "threat thread" and go back to making my decision as though I'd never read any of these pages.

I keep forgetting how frustrating it must be for him to do what Upper Management dictates...he IS, after all, a fan. I HATE some of the things dictated to my by my management team, but I love my job and the lifestyle it allows me to live (even if I AM trapped in Chicago 2 days longer than I should have been, due to flight issues!), I'm sure he feels much the same.

So, this is my "sorry I overreacted, honest contrition" post.

As a caveat, I think Scott should consider these videos in lieu of posting when he has an announcement to make. He's just not that good at the typed word, whether in the bios or in posts, but he's far more likeable and sympathetic a character (as anyone would be if trying to manage this line!) on video.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; July 21, 2012 at 08:08pm.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Scott said in the YouTube video that they can't reveal the line up due to licenses. Isn't Mattel the Master License holder for MOTUC?
    -Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze

All I'm gonna say is that I love this line, I mean every single figure, well maybe not hurricane hordak :-). I will by the sub if its there, I will support it as long as its there, I will enjoy it as long as its there. If it goes, I will be saddened and pray for a return like everyone did after the 200X line. I'm gonna be optimistic for as long as I can and enjoy the each figure when I get em. I just hope I get Blade sometime soon.
    Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Riorden View Post
    Scott said in the YouTube video that they can't reveal the line up due to licenses. Isn't Mattel the Master License holder for MOTUC?
    He was talking about all the subs, so this was for the DC Subscription. The production process could cause a MOTUC figure to slip in the schedule possibly to the next year's sub or get cut altogether this is the reason that he won't annouce the whole year's line-up for MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    I actually do remember people complaining (not here) that they kept extending it. Nobody seems to remember that though, and now they mock Matty for their comments about no extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by Riorden View Post
    Yes, but he wasn't just talking about MOTUC. DC fans were being addressed as well.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    So canceling a toyline without a valid reason doesn't have repercussions on a brand's reputation. No, there won't be massive boycotts or anything, but people will think twice before collecting any of their future product.

200x got cancelled prematurely, yet people flocked back to Classics not long after.
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Heroic Warrior
    200x was nowhere near as comprehensive as Classics has been though.