Page 40 of 188 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 4680

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    As it stands, any three-pack would have been a bad idea, although a Filmation characters three-pack would have gone down a lot better with most people.
    Any three pack? What about Horde Troopers? Or even a movie figure three pack of Blade, Saurod, and Gwildor?

Personally, I'm psyched for the FFM, but I'm just sayin'...
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior
    I'll be sad to see MOTUC go if the line really ends. Best toy line ever! The $25 price tag is very realistic five years later. I hope people will stop demanding perfection and sub up.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Simple, lower the amount of items per month.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    It doesn't make business sense to have these guys as a three-pack in the sub. As cool as they might look, you're one of a handful of people who has a nostalgic attachment to them. They were background characters whose faces and bodies were almost completely obscured by their model kit vehicles. Most people had never seen or heard of them.

As it stands, any three-pack would have been a bad idea, although a Filmation characters three-pack would have gone down a lot better with most people.
    Makes as much sense as Star Sisters...just look at their eBay sale prices.

They were characters that were shown in a product catalog and never produced. Many people had never seen or heard of them. Works both ways, huh?

You and the POP fans got your concept figures, I want mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    Any three pack? What about Horde Troopers? Or even a movie figure three pack of Blade, Saurod, and Gwildor?

And here is where Scorpia's argument falls apart.

For ME, the Fearless Foe Men are what pushed me over the fence to purchase a sub for 2013.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Remember the "Shadow Weaver will be the lowest produced figure ever" rhetoric last year? I'm not saying that there aren't sales concerns this year: you're bound to have sales drop after a price increase. But doom and gloom is just part of the annual ritual. The line will not be cancelled.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    That title would probably go to stuff like Gygor, Mo-Larr etc. as evidenced by the remaining stock numbers that were discovered during one of the sales.

Anyhow, I wish some of you folks wouldn't have so much animosity and/or annoyance when I ask for variants of these gals. It's not my fault Mattel didn't research. I'm not saying put them out tomorrow, as there are more important things going on at the moment, but I do think they deserve to get a release eventually.
    You just said earlier that virtually no one opposed your campaining for the Star Sisters before their initial release, even though many could have gone without. And you didn't see the negative comments till after their announcement. Now people are expressing their opinion that no variants are wanted and you're bothered by that? I've said this before and I'll say it again if you want Star Sister variants you should customize them or commision one of the fine customizers to do them for you. Gygor had plenty of secondary sales before they made the rerelease, Mo-Larr was outside the sub and is another of the most least in demand sets right behind the Star Sisters.

I suppose. It's just that on Roast Gooble he was stressing this definitely wasn't something to worry about, that there would be more incentive to keep the Classics going online.
    I'm just saying things change, hopefully Classics continues for many more years, but if Upper management decides it's more viable to go retail only, then it doesn't matter what Scott said.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    I don't care how sincere he sounded in the video. I buy Motuc because I want to and I enjoy collecting. If you don't enjoy collecting thats fine. move on.
    Exactly, some people seem to be almost hoping the line gets canned

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post

I think 3-Packs are a huge deterrant to sub sales, and especially multiple sub sales. I'm not saying don't release these figures just do it as singles or in troop builder 2-packs like Horde Troopers. Personally I hope the $50 slot in the sub this year is Horde Troopers
    Last edited by cbomb23; July 22, 2012 at 04:18pm.

*sigh* Why do some of you folks keep lumping The Star Sisters together with concept figures? There's a big difference between The Star Sisters and concepts in that these are characters that were actually intended to be released back in the day as the extension line for POP. (ala MOTU's Powers of Grayskull) They were advertised as "coming soon" on the back of some mini-comics and cardbacks. They had the one cartoon appearance. They were a significant part of the final issue of the POP magazine. They had a story in one of the MOTU magazines. The prototyes for Tallstar, Starla and Glorybird were officially advertised in Magic Girl Magazine...

If there is anything good to come out of this, it's giving the line a tighter focus for 2014.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    If there is anything good to come out of this, it's giving the line a tighter focus for 2014.
    I agree. And a strong 2014 might give Mattel reason to look at doing more vehicles and Castle Grayskull. That's wishful thinking on my part, but I hope tooling could go to just big items down the road, and any figures 2015 or later can just mainly be part re-use.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Thank goodness prices will remain the same in 2014!

Pixel-Dan's tweets are making me feel better.

Re: Star Sisters. I agree with Tallstar. I wish people would stop calling them "concepts." They were not concepts. They WERE going to be released in the PoP toy line, were in Filmation, the toys were advertised in at least 2 magazines and on wave 3's card backs, they also got TWO separate stories in the MOTU and PoP magazines full with illustrations. They WERE coming, stores just didn't order enough, so they got cancelled. Same with He-Ro and Eldor (also, not concepts).

Calling any of the above mentioned characters "concepts" is the same (to me) as calling, 200X Sorceress, Stinkor, Snout Spout, Hordak, etc. concepts. We saw their sculpts at SDCC 2004, but they were not released. Same thing. *shrugs*

A concept is when a drawing of a character for MOTU/PoP/NA, etc. is uncovered. It's like "Hey, how about we make this guy with a chair for a leg?" and they drew a concept of it. Most never got past that stage. THAT'S a concept.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; July 22, 2012 at 04:16pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

*sigh* Why do some of you folks keep lumping The Star Sisters together with concept figures? There's a big difference between The Star Sisters and concepts in that these are characters that were actually intended to be released back in the day as the extension line for POP. (ala MOTU's Powers of Grayskull) They were advertised as "coming soon" on the back of some mini-comics and cardbacks. They had the one cartoon appearance. They were a significant part of the final issue of the POP magazine. They had a story in one of the MOTU magazines. The prototyes for Tallstar, Starla and Glorybird were officially advertised in Magic Girl Magazine...
    I feel you are missing the point. They are being lumped together based upon the fact that they were an expensive 3 pack that wasn't wanted by a certain number of subscribers. I was not one of them but I understand why they would feel that way.

Now consider that many people have been struggling to shift their Star Sisters DESPITE all of the points that you just mentioned, and then imagine what happens when you take a set of characters even MORE obscure, even MORE expensive, and even LESS desired and force subscribers to buy them to ensure that they get characters that they DO want and actually appeared on screen.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    You just said earlier that virtually no one opposed your campaining for the Star Sisters before their initial release, even though many could have gone without. And you didn't see the negative comments till after their announcement. Now people are expressing their opinion that no variants are wanted and you're bothered by that? I've said this before and I'll say it again if you want Star Sister variants you should customize them or commision one of the fine cusomizers to do them for you.
    Well, there's always this annoyed undertone of "You got your Star Star Sisters, now shut the hell up!" to some of the posts, as if I'm intentially trying to tick people off by requesting that Mattel honor the winning versions at some point. heh Personally, I feel like the campagning period for them is over. They won. Mattel screwed up.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Thank goodness prices will remain the same in 2014!

Pixel-Dan's tweets are making me feel better.

Re: Star Sisters. I agree with Tallstar. I wish people would stop calling them "concepts." They were not concepts. They WERE going to be released in the PoP toy line, were in Filmation, the toys were advertised in at least 2 magazines and on wave 3's card backs, they also got TWO separate stories in the MOTU and PoP magazines full with illustrations. They WERE coming, stores just didn't order enough, so they got cancelled. Same with He-Ro and Eldor (also, not concepts).

Calling any of the above mentioned characters "concepts" is the same (to me) as calling, 200X Sorceress, Stinkor, Snout Spout, Hordak, etc. concepts. We saw their sculpts at SDCC 2004, but they were not released. Same thing. *shrugs*
    What does it even matter? They got produced in Classics, time to move on.

I feel like after The Star Sisters three-pack, the next three pack should have swung the pendulum in the opposite direction... as in a three-pack of well-known/demanded characters, not going the "even more obscure to the fairweather He-Man fan!" route like they did with Fighting Foe Men. It's why there's so much backlash in regards to the set. If 2013's 3-pack had been Gwildor, Blade, and Saurod, or Shokoti, Lord Masque and Melektha, or even Kowl, Madame Razz & Broom... it would be more well-received.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I feel like after The Star Sisters three-pack, the next three pack should have swung the pendulum in the opposite direction... as in a three-pack of well-known/demanded characters, not going the "even more obscure to the fairweather He-Man fan!" route like they did with Fighting Foe Men. It's why there's so much backlash in regards to the set. If 2013's 3-pack had been Gwildor, Blade, and Saurod, or Shokoti, Lord Masque and Melektha, or even Kowl, Madame Razz & Broom... it would be more well-received.
    I think that 3-packs should be done, I've stated my reasons earlier. The pricepoint just doesn't work for the subscription. Maybe outside the sub but then Mattel would'nt have the guaranteed sales needed to produce a 3-pack and may not sell as many mat skip it.

Calling any of the above mentioned characters "concepts" is the same (to me) as calling, 200X Sorceress, Stinkor, Snout Spout, Hordak, etc. concepts. We saw their sculpts at SDCC 2004, but they were not released. Same thing. :
    What do you mean, not released?
    I am looking at the stactions now?

They can't keep selling two to three packs with the individual prices of the figures. They do this at retail too. It feels too heavy on the wallet. If you're selling a two pack, give a $5 discount and a $10 on the three pack. Make it feel like a deal instead of making it sound more expensive.

I have been around for quite some time and when all is said and done I am still not over the way 200X line ended. I was traumatized. Then now when I got used to Classics I am getting that funny feeling again that came just about the time 200X was finally cancelled. I remember back then how devastated a lot of us were back then because we needed MOTU to be alive still. Now that I am at least capable of supporting the existence of the line I do what I can even if it means from time to time there will be hiccups because I realize that the collective dreams of the fans here is at stake when it comes to this classics line. When 200X died a lot of the people here from before disappeared. A lot of new people came around during the begining of classics and I don't know if they were trolling around during the 200X years but it was bad towards the end. We had lost He-Man again...
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I would be happy if they stopped doing 3 packs. It's bad for international customers and customers who need to budget month-to-month. Not only do you get a $75 3 pack, but a $25 monthly figure. Higher shipping cost + customs (for International fans). I have no problem getting the model kit pilots, I think they're pretty cool, but 3 packs = bad. TWO packs at the most, in my opinion. For example, 2 of these pilots could have been in a pack together and ANOTHER two-pack later, with the last pilot from this 3-pack AND the missing Wind Raider pilot.

It works out better (all the pilots getting a release) and it's more affordable for EVERYONE.

Just say NO to three packs!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    What do you mean, not released?
    I am looking at the stactions now?
    The figures, ED. Plus, some of the stactions are 100% different sculpts (Sorceress and Clamp Champ, for example).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm not a big fan of Mattel doing any 3-packs in the future where two or three of the characters in the pack would require heavy tooling. It seems they wouldn't be able to do all the figures justice with the amount of time that's allocated to such a set. It's going to be "rush, rush, rush", because the 4H get the same amount of time as 1 beast to finish everything. At least that's how it worked on The Star Sisters. I just feel like Mattel uses these as a way to skimp on accessories, tooling etc. There are some combinations that I think would work, but for the most part I'm in favor of not going any higher than a 2-Pack.

If everything for 2013 is so set in stone that it's too late to change the lineup then I genuinely don't understand what's stopping them announcing the full lineup, especially when they are so desperate for more subs. Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jii Dee View Post
    I feel you are missing the point. They are being lumped together based upon the fact that they were an expensive 3 pack that wasn't wanted by a certain number of subscribers. I was not one of them but I understand why they would feel that way.

Now consider that many people have been struggling to shift their Star Sisters DESPITE all of the points that you just mentioned, and then imagine what happens when you take a set of characters even MORE obscure, even MORE expensive, and even LESS desired and force subscribers to buy them to ensure that they get characters that they DO want and actually appeared on screen.
    I totally understand what you're saying. I can see where folks would be turned off by such a pricey set. The point that I was trying to make, is that The Star Sisters have a lot more behind them than something like The Fighting Foe Men, and therefore are more recognizable - At least in name...because the versions Mattel chose to make were not as known to the public as the prototype toys.

I feel like chances are really high that most POP fans who collected the vintage line on eBay anytime during the years 1995 to 2011 would have stumbled across the pics on the net of the prototype Star Sisters at some point.

The Fighting Foe Men 3 pack does cost too much, and it doens't make a whole lot of sense to me. As someone else mentioned, why not a Wind Raider figure? Some of us actually have one of those.

Also, how am I supposed to display them? Sitting around a table playing cards and dreaming of what it would be like to have their respective vehicles?

I would really want at least 1-2 more 3 packs.

One would be a pack of Tuvar Badra & Two-Bad.

The other I would want is a mini character pack of Kwol Loo-Kee and maybe Cringer or something.

It would also be nice to get Battle Lion, Clawdeen and Charger before the end...
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    They can't keep selling two to three packs with the individual prices of the figures. They do this at retail too. It feels too heavy on the wallet. If you're selling a two pack, give a $5 discount and a $10 on the three pack. Make it feel like a deal instead of making it sound more expensive.
    I agree and feel the same way about this. I don't like the multipacks of figures really. Keep that for "Army Builders" not concepts or obscure stuff like the Fighting Foe Men. I feel much better about paying a high quarterly price for a larger beast, vehicle or something like that!

Granamyr @ $80 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fighting Foe Men @ $75
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!