Page 45 of 188 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4680

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

  1. #1101
    Heroic Warrior Balthus Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I live in Canada and it takes longer for matty to ship, than for resellers to get their orders and then ship them to us. It's just a fact, DR is terrible. The average is 3-4 weeks--which is insanely bad--but there have been some really bad cases, like Scareglow (two months to reach Canadian soil).
    If it wasn't for the possibility of having to replace a defective figure, I would buy from resellers more than from matty.
    Considering the new international policy, you might be better off buying from the resellers this time around after all.

  2. #1102
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,881
    You'll notice I said 'defective' figures, not figures that went missing in the mail. You can return a defective figure to mattel for a replacement (or before, just get one sent to you). You can't necessarily do that with resellers.

    Although this year there weren't even enough figures for CS stock, so resellers were needed anyway
    These are the kinds of issues that are biting matty in the ass right now and it should be no surprise that, coupled with the rising costs, subscribers are dropping like flies. These problems have gone on for ages unresolved, or are even brand new problems. Apart from saving teh lien, there really is no incentive to reward them with a subscription purchase for such terrible service and quality issues.

  3. #1103
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by blogjammer View Post
    I live in Australia. It takes 5-7 weeks to recieve each order once it has been shipped unless I want to pay almost $50 just for shipping. Resellers from the US who recieve their product much sooner may offer better shipping options.
    Attachment 77601
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I live in Canada and it takes longer for matty to ship, than for resellers to get their orders and then ship them to us. It's just a fact, DR is terrible. The average is 3-4 weeks--which is insanely bad--but there have been some really bad cases, like Scareglow (two months to reach Canadian soil).
    If it wasn't for the possibility of having to replace a defective figure, I would buy from resellers more than from matty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    A big +1 on this!

    This year has been the worst ever... it's another issue a lot "non-international" customers are unaware of. My figures are taking well over 5 weeks to arrive... sometimes 2 months! Resellers are much faster than direct from Matty!!
    Well that's kind of crazy? But I know international shipping can be very unpredictable, as I've had items arrive in days and some in months, it's so hard to judge. But I would think DR would be consistently on the short side, guess not? On that note I'm still waiting on my mail away Boba Fetts from Hasbro......Hmm?

  4. #1104
    Heroic Warrior kup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Well that's kind of crazy? But I know international shipping can be very unpredictable, as I've had items arrive in days and some in months, it's so hard to judge. But I would think DR would be consistently on the short side, guess not? On that note I'm still waiting on my mail away Boba Fetts from Hasbro......Hmm?
    I order a lot of stuff from overseas (including the US) and it is all very consistent. The only ones that seem to have this issue is Matty hence why I don't trust them with their 'no refunds/replacement' policy for international customers. Like I said, I am pretty sure that the stuff they had previously 'lost' in the mail didn't even leave their their warehouse as shipping emails rarely coincide with the postage dates on the box.

  5. #1105
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    You're nuts. I mean to each their own and yes those others you mentioned are attractive, but you seem to be implying you don't think Natalie is attractive at all. Inconcievable! Oh well I shouldn't complain that just means less competition for me!
    She's all yours !!!
    I'm not saying she is ugly, but I don't find her attractive, not even appealing
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  6. #1106
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,251
    I think one of the main themes from this thread is that Mattel must do something for its international customers. We know that fans overseas, particularly in Germany and Italy, have been vital to the success of this brand. Can Mattel not work out an agreement with a reseller based in Europe that would allow at least residents of the European union to enjoy these figures without prohibitively expensive customs and shipping. Get someone to be Matty's distributor in Europe and ship the figures straight to there from China. Set up a whole separate order page that links from Matty's site if that would make things "logistically" easier. I'll defend Mattel on a lot of moves, but this one has made absolutely no sense from day one.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  7. #1107
    Heroic Warrior Agent Gibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Holy **** that's a lot. Thanks for posting it all, max.

    He answered my question about changing the shipping options. While "ideally" is not a full "yes", it has gone a long way towards convincing me to maybe buy a sub.

    However he keeps saying that sub-holders are completists and want everything. That's not true for a lot of them. How many of them are resellers? Or have subscribed to avoid the sale date and fast sell-outs, only to sell things off they don't want? Just look at the marketplace! Maybe they're tired of trying, and a few revealed names might convince them they don't have to try and sell off a figure nobody wants.
    Same here when i read that i was very pleased!

    So as i speak i am ordering a sub with DHL shipping, with the vane hope i can lower the shipping option on months when i don't really want the figures as much and will accept the risk of loosing them!

    so +1 more year for me subbing now


    EDIT:
    although i'm subscribing i think matty need to really up their game in some areas, shipping is one of them!

    I ordered the Figman Samus Aran as a pre-order from hobby link japan when it went up for pre-order, then when the figure was released, it was shipped to HLJ who then shipped it to me, all inside of 2 weeks! 2 WEEKS

    yet buying directly from matty not via a third party like HLJ, it takes 4-6 weeks for every order to turn up, 6-8 weeks if it goes via customs.

    both use equivalently priced shipping methods and both travel roughly the same distance, but the one with the most steps in the process gets to me sooner and that is not right.
    i should also point out that ONCE i lost a parcel, and i contacted matty (this was after 10 weeks) who replaced it, via USPS shipping (the slow option) and that package came in 2 weeks! so why do normal orders from them using the same postage take at least twice as long as that?
    Simple answer is DR are useless, or are not providing the service Mattel is paying them for

    The fact Canadian orders ship via Sweden flies in the face of all that is logical.

    I don't mind supporting this line, its getting better, but its near its end and its been years since a lot of these issues were raised.
    Last edited by Agent Gibbs; July 23, 2012 at 07:03am.

  8. #1108
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    In your response to me earlier, you compared them to the like of King Grayskull, He-Ro, Tytus, and Megator being in the line. But except for Megator, all of those figures were released as non-sub items and sold out with no problem (including both the original release of King Grayskull and his later carded re-relase). The interest for them was proben by people specifically buying them and not a larger subscription of figures that they just happened to be included in. By all indications, had the Star Sisters been produced in the same quanttiy as they actually were, but had been released as a non-sub item, they probably would have been another Gygor or Mo-Larr, with absurd amounts of stock to spare.
    Yes, I compared The Star Sisters to characters such as King Grayskull and He-Ro because they serve a similar purpose within the MOTUC cannon, in that they're ancient characters who have the potential to enrich the history of their planet.

    As for the rest of your post, by and large Mattel failed to advertise The Star Sisters so their situation is really not all that comparable to King Grayskull and He-Ro in the way that you're meaning.

    Prior to King Grayskull being released, I believe we had two volumes of the Mike Young cartoon series leading up to the premiere of his figure. The final volume included a sheet that advertised his figure.

    He also benefitted by being the first figure out in a new toy line at SDCC, having specially designed packaging with lights and sounds, an advertised "chase figure", a statue, a giveaway raffle for a "Spirit of Grayskull" figure and then later an event partially built around him. (Dream Halloween) Oh - and he was also made to be a significant part of the overall story in the Classics bios. In short, Mattel hyped the hell out of this character.

    Similarly, He-Ro was the first prototype figure out. His status was bolstered a few years earlier with the appearance of the Emiliano Santalucia artwork in ToyFare magazine. He also got a Classics ToyFare ad, a statue, multiple chase versions, and was given clout in the bios.

    As for your assertion that Megator and Tytus sold out...well...as of the last count during the Black Friday Sale, sadly Tytus had over 4,600 units clogging the warehouse. Megator fared better but was still in the 4 digits. I believe Megator was reissued though, but I'm not positive about that. Both have appearances in the 30th anniversary mini-comics.

    Sorry, can't really compare. All things considered, I think The Star Sisters did amazingly well and show potential.

    You keep having these delusions of grandeur about POP in-and-of itself, outside of and possibly separate from MOTU having some big successful resurgence if just the right marketing or promotion in one direction or another were to occur.. but that's simply NOT going to happen, and there's about a 99.999999999999% chance that it never will.
    I am no more delusional than a ton of the hardcore MOTU fans on here. When Scott flat-out told folks that the Wind Raider didn't perform to Mattel's standards, so many were willing to let MOTUC potentially take a hit in the off-chance that it would miraculously sell out and lead to more vehicles and/or playsets. I also remember a couple folks were asking for variants of the Snake Men 2-Pack. That's significant because some of you made a big deal about me asking for variant Star Sisters before their set was even released.

    Needless to say, I'm not feeling too bad about asking for individual variants of these gals. They would fit quite nicely into something like a "traveling convention" slot and/or any remaining variant slots. They are variants that make sense.

  9. #1109
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,706
    The Star Sisters, like most unique characters in this line should have been sold seperately. The fact that Scott didn't want to use 3 separate skus for them says alot unfortunately. I'm certainly not a fan of them, so from my perspective splitting them up makes it vastly easier to unload after the fact. You POP fans are incredibly enthusiastic though and I hope you get what you came for. It's just a shame that the Star Sisters turned out to be such a black mark from being mishandled.

    I have a feeling 2014 will be your year.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  10. #1110
    scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Skeletor's back
    Posts
    1,640

    With "a little" help - a letter of appreciation

    Hello everybody, DB here again

    Some of you may remember my "letter" to Mattel/ TG that dealed with me not being able to afford a 2013 subscription, because of the high shipping for international fans.
    Well...
    I just bought a 2013 sub!
    Now you may wonder how that came to be.

    Let me tell you about P.J. , my girlfriend. She knows my passion and dedication to my MOTU collection.
    She even shows some interest in MotU and knows pretty much all the characters I own - her favourite is Stratos (she loves those goggles ).
    Anyway, she felt and shared my frustration, because of the trouble with 2013's sub. We wanted to calculate our financial situation throughout the year.

    Yesterday I stumbled upon a thread on the German fan board "Planet-Eternia". A very dedicated fan, "cryingfreeman", organized a big collective order to save on shipping. The prices for a single figure would be much lower than the ones of a single sub, albeit still way higher than the price of a 2012 figure.
    I showed CFM's generous initiative to P.J. to hear her opinion about it. Then she revealed to me that she planned to buy a sub anyway - even if I hadn't found CFM's collective order!
    And to ensure that I can afford it she is going to financially support me in buying the 2013 items! How awesome is that?!

    Well that's pretty much it - I'm a 2013 subscriber now!
    I felt it was appropriate to tell you all about P.J. and also show my gratefulness in this way.

    P.J. , thank you so much for being so supporting in every possible way.
    I don't know what I'd do without you!
    I love you so much


    Thanks for reading, everybody


    Greetings from Germany,

    DB
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; July 23, 2012 at 07:47am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

  11. #1111
    Heroic Warrior he-man121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kennoway,Scotland
    Posts
    207
    So according to Scooter the line is dependent on completionists:
    Aren't they gonna be miffed with FFM and no vehicles

    All this talk of buying 2013 subs and getting to an all extravagant a-list 2014 sub is way off,
    first of all the 2013 sub isn't selling because of 1) the price ,2)lack of interest in some figures,therefore an all extravagant 2014 sub would be more expensive and with less interest,IMO,with Ram Man gone and majority of the 2014 sub being POP/NA.

    I'm not saying a sub wouldn't sell with just POP/NA but without some MOTU influence it will be very difficult to sell.
    Last edited by he-man121; July 23, 2012 at 08:18am.

  12. #1112
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,811
    All characters we want to get to but the vintage figs come first if the line is truly on its way down to the figures costing more then fans are willing to pay. BUT should 2013 sell in the same quota as 2010-2012 we can get back to the plan that includes all of these figures too.

    It also doesn't mean we couldn't get to them in a post 2014 line where we switch to fewer figures without an annual sub (like we did for GB). But right now we have to wait and see how 2013 sells before figuring out any next steps.
    This is a relief. If sub sales are good then they will consider going forward with the roadmap, it seems.

  13. #1113
    In disguise! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelby, NC
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://aftimes.com/wp-content/uploads/toyguru1.jpg

    "Citizens of the world! Buy the sub or Ram Man dies!"

    Literally LOLing. Great way to start a Monday morning!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

    "We have a Ram-Man"

  14. #1114
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    1,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I am no more delusional than a ton of the hardcore MOTU fans on here. When Scott flat-out told folks that the Wind Raider didn't perform to Mattel's standards, so many were willing to let MOTUC potentially take a hit in the off-chance that it would miraculously sell out and lead to more vehicles and/or playsets. I also remember a couple folks were asking for variants of the Snake Men 2-Pack. That's significant because some of you made a big deal about me asking for variant Star Sisters before their set was even released.

    Needless to say, I'm not feeling too bad about asking for individual variants of these gals. They would fit quite nicely into something like a "traveling convention" slot and/or any remaining variant slots. They are variants that make sense.
    Well at least I'm fairly confident even as much as you ask these will never see the light of day. They are mostly unwanted, unnecessary, and undesirable by the fanbase and I think Mattel knows this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    The Star Sisters, like most unique characters in this line should have been sold seperately. The fact that Scott didn't want to use 3 separate skus for them says alot unfortunately. I'm certainly not a fan of them, so from my perspective splitting them up makes it vastly easier to unload after the fact. You POP fans are incredibly enthusiastic though and I hope you get what you came for. It's just a shame that the Star Sisters turned out to be such a black mark from being mishandled.

    I have a feeling 2014 will be your year.
    I agree they should have been individual releases, as should the Fighting Foe Men. I'm not for everyone getting what they want though, because it means I end up with it too- I have zero interest in Songster (Song Master or whatever he is now?), The Twiggits, Plundar, The Clown, or the Scientists, to name a few, oh and no Star Sister variants.

    Quote Originally Posted by he-man121 View Post
    So according to Scooter the line is dependent on completionists:
    Aren't they gonna be miffed with FFM and no vehicles

    All this talk of buying 2013 subs and getting to an all extravagant a-list 2014 sub is way off,
    first of all the 2013 sub isn't selling because of 1) the price ,2)lack of interest in some figures,therefore an all extravagant 2014 sub would be more expensive and with less interest,IMO,with Ram Man gone and majority of the 2014 sub being POP/NA.
    Completists doesn't mean you get everything you want produced, but that you collect everything that is produced.

  15. #1115
    Heroic Warrior Molgran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    336
    12 monthly is more than enough for SUB! When it returned, I immediately bought sub!

  16. #1116
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,935
    I'm not going to question TG's love for the line, and i reckon there are profit goals, but in current times i find it hard to believe that any toy company would opt to make no profit instead some profit. Times have changed, and so will mentalities.

  17. #1117
    CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    1,787
    Great news! P.J. sounds like a fantastic girlfriend

  18. #1118
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,284
    The sub (if there really has to be one) ought to be 12 figures. One per month. OR 8 figures and 4 special items (ie Variant, Beast, 2-pack etc)
    It would be more affordable and extend the life of the line.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  19. #1119
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sanford, FL
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Hello everybody, DB here again

    Some of you may remember my "letter" to Mattel/ TG that dealed with me not being able to afford a 2013 subscription, because of the high shipping for international fans.
    Well...
    I just bought a 2013 sub!
    Now you may wonder how that came to be.

    Let me tell you about P.J. , my girlfriend. She knows my passion and dedication to my MOTU collection.
    She even shows some interest in MotU and knows pretty much all the characters I own - her favourite is Stratos (she loves those goggles ).
    Anyway, she felt and shared my frustration, because of the trouble with 2013's sub. We wanted to calculate our financial situation throughout the year.

    Yesterday I stumbled upon a thread on the German fan board "Planet-Eternia". A very dedicated fan, "cryingfreeman", organized a big collective order to save on shipping. The prices for a single figure would be much lower than the ones of a single sub, albeit still way higher than the price of a 2012 figure.
    I showed CFM's generous initiative to P.J. to hear her opinion about it. Then she revealed to me that she planned to buy a sub anyway - even if I hadn't found CFM's collective order!
    And to ensure that I can afford it she is going to financially support me in buying the 2013 items! How awesome is that?!

    Well that's pretty much it - I'm a 2013 subscriber now!
    I felt it was appropriate to tell you all about P.J. and also show my gratefulness in this way.

    P.J. , thank you so much for being so supporting in every possible way.
    I don't know what I'd do without you!
    I love you so much


    Thanks for reading, everybody


    Greetings from Germany,

    DB
    Awesome indeed. Why can't Matty figure out how to get a distributor in Europe? We know there are a lot of European fans. That would save them money on shipping and maybe even customs and increase the number of subscribers.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

    Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

  20. #1120
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,543
    I find it interesting that some are still pointing to the Star Sisters and things like the Fighting Foe Men as a big part of why Matty is in trouble. Those choices, whether you liked them or not, are negligible compared to the overwhelming problems with the way the site is run. I've been buying every incarnation of MOTU from the first wave released back in the 80's. It took a lot to drive me away from the subs, and the character selection had nothing to do with it. It was the utter incompetence of the people working for the site, and the fact that all we get from Mattel and TG are empty promises that do not improve the situation.

    What's killing the subs isn't a three pack here and there; it's the fact you can bet the rent money that, come this February, we will have another rash of sub cancellations as DR charges the wrong credit card for the second charge of the year, as has happened two years running. And we will have more people who can't get Matty to straighten things out before the figures they were promised with the sub are out of stock. Nothing has changed, it is still a site with the worst excuse for customer service on the web, and it's reputation is well known. THere will be fewer subs this year, and fewer still next, because NOTHING WILL CHANGE for the better. Any changes will simply make things worse. That's not a prediction, it's a dead bang certainty based on years of ineptitude and indifference.

    I'm glad we're getting Rammy this year, because I'm not even sure there will be a 2014 for this line or Matty.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  21. #1121
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yes, I compared The Star Sisters to characters such as King Grayskull and He-Ro because they serve a similar purpose within the MOTUC cannon, in that they're ancient characters who have the potential to enrich the history of their planet.

    As for the rest of your post, by and large Mattel failed to advertise The Star Sisters so their situation is really not all that comparable to King Grayskull and He-Ro in the way that you're meaning.

    Prior to King Grayskull being released, I believe we had two volumes of the Mike Young cartoon series leading up to the premiere of his figure. The final volume included a sheet that advertised his figure.

    He also benefitted by being the first figure out in a new toy line at SDCC, having specially designed packaging with lights and sounds, an advertised "chase figure", a statue, a giveaway raffle for a "Spirit of Grayskull" figure and then later an event partially built around him. (Dream Halloween) Oh - and he was also made to be a significant part of the overall story in the Classics bios. In short, Mattel hyped the hell out of this character.

    Similarly, He-Ro was the first prototype figure out. His status was bolstered a few years earlier with the appearance of the Emiliano Santalucia artwork in ToyFare magazine. He also got a Classics ToyFare ad, a statue, multiple chase versions, and was given clout in the bios.

    As for your assertion that Megator and Tytus sold out...well...as of the last count during the Black Friday Sale, sadly Tytus had over 4,600 units clogging the warehouse. Megator fared better but was still in the 4 digits. I believe Megator was reissued though, but I'm not positive about that. Both have appearances in the 30th anniversary mini-comics.

    Sorry, can't really compare. All things considered, I think The Star Sisters did amazingly well and show potential.
    Well maybe you have a point regarding Tytus and Megator, but I'm guessing that perhaps their reissues didn't do as well as the original run (Tytus also got a reissue with a corrected bio and a POG sticker).

    The bottom line when it comes to the Star Sisters is that had Mattel "hyped" them up in any way, I really don't think it would have done very much to make an impact on their popularity. King Grayskull and He-Ro received the individual attention that they got because they were both initially convention exclusives. The Star Sisters didn't receive any less attention than any other random figure in the line. Sure, they didn't have the benefit of getting an ad in Toyfare, but the magazine was discontinued and no figures have been advertised since that happened... that wasn't Mattel's fault.

    Here you are again basically saying, "If Mattel would do this or do that, the Star Sisters would be much more popular." For one thing, any additional popularity would likely be a very small drop in the bucket. Also, art of the problem here is just the attitude that they somehow deserve special individual attention above all other figures and products in this line. Convention exclusives get unique attention, whether you like it or not. The Star Sisters were not such an item. They were one product amongst many in the subscription. On average none of the other regular sub items gets that kind of special unique attention, so I don't see why the Star Sisters are so deserving of it.

    You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You can't say that you want POP to be treated equally and fairly in the line, but then want a POP related item to get special, individual, unique attention. It just doesn't work that way.


    I am no more delusional than a ton of the hardcore MOTU fans on here.
    With all due respect, you kind of are.

    When Scott flat-out told folks that the Wind Raider didn't perform to Mattel's standards, so many were willing to let MOTUC potentially take a hit in the off-chance that it would miraculously sell out and lead to more vehicles and/or playsets. I also remember a couple folks were asking for variants of the Snake Men 2-Pack. That's significant because some of you made a big deal about me asking for variant Star Sisters before their set was even released.

    Needless to say, I'm not feeling too bad about asking for individual variants of these gals. They would fit quite nicely into something like a "traveling convention" slot and/or any remaining variant slots. They are variants that make sense.
    While I never expected miracles from the re-release of the Wind Raider, and while I am of the mind frame that if one hates something coming out in December because of it being an expensive month, but could afford it in September, then just keep the money that would be spent in September off to the side to buy it in December. Having said that, I do understand why people felt that the poorer than expected sales were due at least in part to the time when the Wind Raider was originally released. I never really expected it to lead to Castle Grayskull, but it wasn't a completely absurd concept of it leading to further vehicles, and Mattel must have agreed to some extent otherwise they wouldn't have re-released it in the first place.

    As for the Snakemen 2-pack, while a variant/repaint is something that I can easily live without, I can understand why people are asking for it and why there would be more interest in it than Star Sisters variants (maybe not a ton of interest, but still more). As it is, I am already planning on getting two sets of the Snakeman 2-pack to have a somewhat decent army of Snakemen.... with the 2nd set I will just swap the armor around and use the alternate heads to have 4 somewhat different looking Snakemen. If a variant set were to come out (which could probably be done with little to no new tooling) with repaints of them, particularly with at least one of them in green, I would buy it. By no means am I saying that Mattel should push this through, as I do think given the current state of things, it wouldn't go over all that well, but by comparison I think there would be more interest in that than Star Sisters variants.

    The die-hard POP fans tend to be blinded by their own love of even the most obscure POP characters that they by default think those characters are on the same level as other obscure characters in the line in the eyes of the larger fan base, and that just isn't the case at all.

    Considering the significant lack of variant slots going forward, there isn't any room at all for Star Sisters variants (or even Snakemen variants for that matter), so expecting that to happen is very delusional indeed. Many people couldn't unload their previous SS set who subscribed and didn't want them... including them in one of the very limited beast/variant slots would be the equivalent of committing suicide with this line.


    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Well at least I'm fairly confident even as much as you ask these will never see the light of day. They are mostly unwanted, unnecessary, and undesirable by the fanbase and I think Mattel knows this.
    Exactly.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  22. #1122
    Heroic Warrior he-man121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kennoway,Scotland
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I find it interesting that some are still pointing to the Star Sisters and things like the Fighting Foe Men as a big part of why Matty is in trouble. Those choices, whether you liked them or not, are negligible compared to the overwhelming problems with the way the site is run. I've been buying every incarnation of MOTU from the first wave released back in the 80's. It took a lot to drive me away from the subs, and the character selection had nothing to do with it. It was the utter incompetence of the people working for the site, and the fact that all we get from Mattel and TG are empty promises that do not improve the situation.

    What's killing the subs isn't a three pack here and there; it's the fact you can bet the rent money that, come this February, we will have another rash of sub cancellations as DR charges the wrong credit card for the second charge of the year, as has happened two years running. And we will have more people who can't get Matty to straighten things out before the figures they were promised with the sub are out of stock. Nothing has changed, it is still a site with the worst excuse for customer service on the web, and it's reputation is well known. THere will be fewer subs this year, and fewer still next, because NOTHING WILL CHANGE for the better. Any changes will simply make things worse. That's not a prediction, it's a dead bang certainty based on years of ineptitude and indifference.

    I'm glad we're getting Rammy this year, because I'm not even sure there will be a 2014 for this line or Matty.

    Agreed,whats killing the sub for me isn't just the FFM but it is a big part of it,i live in the UK so $75 FFM 3 pack plus around $50 shipping adds up to $125,plus any other figure released on that months slot.
    I was a sub holder from 2010 when they began up until January this year and all the problems that arised from the incompetence of DR,and basically i am being asked to jumped back in to the same situation with the same company costing me more money.

  23. #1123

  24. #1124
    Our Universe a Sunder! Veebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    789
    I also believe that any MOTU sub should have at least 12 monthly figures. That is the strategy they are taking with DC this year and even though there are still many, many beasts, giants, multi-packs and vehicles I want, I would hope those might be able to be done with new methods.

    If we get 2013 and 2014 is a focus on completing the heavy-hitters, I hope that beyond that, even if some restructuring has to be done, we will get a focus on the characters that have never had figures before. There are so many FILMation, concept, mini comic, 200x, etc characters that we have never been able to own. If Mattel has to re-evaluate expectations for a line that would truly cater to the fans that want everything, then so be it. I have a very hard time believing that something like that would not sell at least as well as the 30th anniversary sub. The price hike is tough this year, but I think most people are dealing with it. If that price can hold for a 3-4 years, I think we will have the chance to get all of our favorite, never-before-made and obscure characters. That is direction I hope for after 2014.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

    Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

    Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

  25. #1125
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I find it interesting that some are still pointing to the Star Sisters and things like the Fighting Foe Men as a big part of why Matty is in trouble. Those choices, whether you liked them or not, are negligible compared to the overwhelming problems with the way the site is run. I've been buying every incarnation of MOTU from the first wave released back in the 80's. It took a lot to drive me away from the subs, and the character selection had nothing to do with it. It was the utter incompetence of the people working for the site, and the fact that all we get from Mattel and TG are empty promises that do not improve the situation.

    What's killing the subs isn't a three pack here and there; it's the fact you can bet the rent money that, come this February, we will have another rash of sub cancellations as DR charges the wrong credit card for the second charge of the year, as has happened two years running. And we will have more people who can't get Matty to straighten things out before the figures they were promised with the sub are out of stock. Nothing has changed, it is still a site with the worst excuse for customer service on the web, and it's reputation is well known. THere will be fewer subs this year, and fewer still next, because NOTHING WILL CHANGE for the better. Any changes will simply make things worse. That's not a prediction, it's a dead bang certainty based on years of ineptitude and indifference.

    I'm glad we're getting Rammy this year, because I'm not even sure there will be a 2014 for this line or Matty.
    I agree with you on the 3 packs,some resellers and a few fans may opt out because of them but as a hole,most were fine with them.

    The way DR has handled this line is in my opinion the reason people have had it. Every other online store is so easy to deal with yet we dread Matty.Why,this far along are these issues still here? If they fix matty next year,I see a long bright future for MOTUC.If they fail,again, I see 2014 being the last year.

    We also have to take into account,many,myself included were "underwhelmed" for SDCC. The reveals just did not hit it out of the park.I don't know what it was or wasn't that made so many have this feeling but it was there. With the prospect of the vintage being finished along with POP and NA and filmation still being mentioned,I felt as excited as I did when I bought my first sub,which was in Summer of 2010,for 2011. This seemed to be the height or peak of the line.I think at that point all that would ever collect these figures were present.The fan base would never grow much after that,in fact it shrank.

    I have the biggest amount of faith and hope I have ever had for this line,right now. I pray it is not misplaced.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •