Page 5 of 188 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Man, this is hard. Every day I go back and forth between getting a sub and not. I almost convince myself that "All the figures are cool." but I keep spitting up the kool-aid. I'm sorry, I don't want to display Fang Man. I don't want Netossa. I have no idea what to do with the Fighting Foe Men. This is such a HUGE leap of faith at a very high price for this "All in" sub that people other than myself demanded. I have become far more open minded since this line began. I collect all the vintage, NA, PoP thus far, and even a couple of the concept figs. I originally only planned on buying the 8 back. I'd be buying this sub for peace of mind and a little of the "support the line" guilt trip not because I'm generally excited about the figs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    *tweets Christina Aguilera for help* Just kidding.

I'm going to be so annoyed if Classics ends without getting Star Sisters variants. I want the other gals too, but those versions are what I've been dreaming about since Day 1 of this toy line. Maybe they will still have a chance if it gets so bad that 2014 is nothing but repaints with like one or two additional pieces of tooling.
    If you won't be happy until then, then you will never be happy. The Star Sisters will NOT be released again in their toy deco. You will be lucky to get Glimmer & Queen Angela before the line ends at the rate they are releasing PoP figures.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Wow. This was a shock to come home to. I was so excited to see a sub update, thinking that perhaps we were to receive an indication of robust initial sales. Boy was I wrong.

Well, I tell you what. I may not be a big PoP fan for example, but I do want their loyal fans to get their figures, just like everyone else.

We are all in this together guys. And together we have to save this line.

Let's look at the silver lining here, for all those considering buying multiple subs to support the line, these figures will carry very high second market value. Figures like Ram Man will bring in a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    It's the principle... I don't like greedy corporations. I'd rather see the line disappear than play by Mattel's rules.
    Dude you have more than made your point and let everyone know you really don't care so just drop it already

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    It makes business sense, and I'm okay with that. They're a business and need to make money.
    denying sales to DOS customers is leaving money on the table.

Can't say that I'm surprised, TG has been hinting at this for quite some time now. But if it ends, it ends ... The sculpts are awesome, the final product is substandard and ridiculously overpriced. I'm not putting myself in the poorhouse for this line. After all, MOTU doesn't end with MOTUC.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    denying sales to DOS customers is leaving money on the table.
    True statement. The less figures Mattel orders, the more it costs Mattel on a per figure basis. I guess DR is charging them a lot to keep the figures up a whole 4 days (Spikor's sellout time).
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Toygurus last paragraph makes me sick to my stomach,this is really feeling like the end. I hope it is just scare tactics, but I have a bad feeling.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

MOTUC has always been on the chopping block. I'll start to worry in 2 weeks if we still haven't reached the minimum. Anything before that is just part of the normal push to sell subs and no big deal.

As for the fate of this line, Mattel has got to understand that "saying" you're finally going to improve your CS/QC after 5 years means next to nothing until it actually happens. 5 years of flubs, minor and major, are doing plenty of work to kill interest on their own. I don't see this as so much of a money issue than a trust issue. If I sub this year and get so much as one switched out part or a faulty sku I'm back on the cherry tree. Make this year a winner Matty!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    From TG:
    Why do we need to do this? Basically, it is economics. High-end, fully detailed, highly articulated figures take a lot or resources to produce. In the “new economy” we are faced with many production challenges and the solution available to us (for the most part) is to only produce high end collector figures if we have locked in guaranteed sales (that is the whole point of the sub). In 2013, we are really in a position where we can no longer put out collector figures day-of and just hope that fans will buy them.
    What Scott is saying here is that he and the folks at Mattel can't estimate demand. If they can only make a profit with guaranteed sales, that is their deficiency, not the non-subbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    If you won't be happy until then, then you will never be happy. The Star Sisters will NOT be released again in their toy deco. You will be lucky to get Glimmer & Queen Angela before the line ends at the rate they are releasing PoP figures.
    You're probably right, but after investing in this line/every figure since 2008, I need to stay delusional.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeTeela View Post
    This is pure brilliance. We've got the vintage only fans not wanting the sub because all of their figures are coming anyway and the fans who want it all are feeling burned by the sub because all they seem to want to show us is vintage MOTU. And we all saw this coming except the people put in charge of the line...ahh

Sounds like a good plan but if the people in charge see the line is in jeopardy, I feel like that will only make them shuffle around the lineup so they finish off their most wanted figures (Vintage MOTU and random concept/prototype characters no one else wants) and we are left with another years worth of crap they want and none of our POP girls.

If they could come out and guarantee a fairer mix, I'd get three subs right now. I dont see it happening. I'm still on the fence. Dont want to get one more year made if it just means we just get more model kit vehicle drivers named after four horsemen employees and figures of lame characters toy guru created for the mini comics like gladiator and beast master.
    Another 'quoted for truth' moment. And all of the anxiety and concern Mattel is trying to drum up now could have been averted if they'd just paid attention to the customers that were willing to throw more revenue their way rather than the ones who choose to mock POP and NA collectors and the brands they like as 'inferior'.

Also, just a clarification and something that I should have mentioned in my initial post that you quoted: I did personally subscribe, because I want to see the line continue. And I hope as many of my fellow POP and NA fans as possible will do the same...I just fear that there's a bit too much of the 'fool me once...' mentality at play for them at the moment, and they won't.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    Man, this is hard. Every day I go back and forth between getting a sub and not. I almost convince myself that "All the figures are cool." but I keep spitting up the kool-aid. I'm sorry, I don't want to display Fang Man. I don't want Netossa. I have no idea what to do with the Fighting Foe Men. This is such a HUGE leap of faith at a very high price for this "All in" sub that people other than myself demanded. I have become far more open minded since this line began. I collect all the vintage, NA, PoP thus far, and even a couple of the concept figs. I originally only planned on buying the 8 back. I'd be buying this sub for peace of mind and a little of the "support the line" guilt trip not because I'm generally excited about the figs.
    Look I know how you feel. I felt the same way with my very first subcription back in 2011 i was scared to death before buying it but i also was tired of the fast sell outs on day of sale. I can honestly say I have never once regretted my choice. The best part is you can sell what you don't want to keep for cost plus shipping and make your money back on the items you don't want to keep. There is always someone looking for something for cost and it's a great way to help out fellow collectors. Hold your nose and swallow the Koolaid because Chances are with filmation now on the table we will see some very cool characters in 2013 not yet shown, not to mention Major characters from Vintage, 200x, NA etc who will still get made.

Can anyone think that maybe since the announcement of Dreamworks attempting to acquire Classic Media, that Mattel might be trying to reposition themselves by letting MOTU die out and working out something new along with Dreamworks and then re-releasing the new packaged product?
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    And I hope as many of my fellow POP and NA fans as possible will do the same...I just fear that there's a bit too much of the 'fool me once...' mentality at play for them at the moment, and they won't.
    I'm still supporting the line, but I've reduced my purchases to just 1 subscription this year. I just can't @ getting multiples of boring stuff along the lines of Griffin. :/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Dude you have more than made your point and let everyone know you really don't care so just drop it already
    Why? ...am I bothering you?

Well looks like more the 50% haven't subed up yet this year. TG said we could lose 50% and still be fine. Glad to see instead of Mattel working to actually inprove they will just kill it.

J

Well people may complain about the figures we are getting now, but I bet a lot more people will be complaining when we have no MOTU toys to buy in 2 years.

These figures are amazing, there are problems and issues with any toy line, thats just the nature of the hobby. But for god sakes we have over 85 MOTUC figures, they may not be all the ones you wanted but just look at them all together, its breath taking.

I for one will be very sad when this line ends, if you dont have the money for the sub I understand, but if you are already cherry picking 75% of the line, please at least think about subbing.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    What Scott is saying here is that he and the folks at Mattel can't estimate demand.
    Hence the enormous pile of yellow apes Matty has been sitting on for nearly two years
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I am consistently amazed by my fellow fans' ignorance of how finance works. Every fan that posts an opinion on how this line should be handled from a profit/production standpoint should be required to post their employment experience as a knowledge base for their opinion.

The bottom goal for any company is to maximize shareholder wealth. Period. Each project is analyzed for its financial risk factors. To an entry level finance student, this is known as a project's NPV (net present value). If the detailed financial analyzes conclude that the project won't hit the company mandated return expectations, those resources are allocated elsewhere.

I'm sorry some folks are all upset over this, but it's honestly the best solution financially for Mattel and the lines continuation. If Mattel uses the exact amount of subscriptions purchased, the analysts go to work and calculate if the project will produce enough return on the capital investment. If the answer is no, then those capital (money) resources will be allocated to other projects. If there are no projects that produce high enough results, then the company can choose to sit on that capital or refactor it and pay additional dividends to the shareholder. This is freshmen level business class stuff folks.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella
    Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    Well I'm buying my sub on the 3rd of August so I'm getting everything that I want which is one of everything since I'm a completist on this line
    Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    If you guys can't afford action figures, then don't complain. Don't even come to this forum. Go out and work to increase your financial status to improve your purchasing power. Hate Matty so much? Then make friends with Ebay or one of the fine online stores that carry MOTUC.
    Yikes!

I guess I better go get a 2nd job, that way I can fall in love with Mattel again.

Well...to those who remember my pleading thread a while back and thought I was full of it...I told you so....
    Jii Dee regarding Matty's view on MOTUC Collectors: "Here be whiny surrender monkey dragons".

MOTUC NEEDS: Sssqueeze, Dragstor, Saurod, Blast Attack, & Lord Masque.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    I am consistently amazed by my fellow fans' ignorance of how finance works. Every fan that posts an opinion on how this line should be handled from a profit/production standpoint should be required to post their employment experience as a knowledge base for their opinion.

The bottom goal for any company is to maximize shareholder wealth. Period. Each project is analyzed for its financial risk factors. To an entry level finance student, this is known as a project's NPV (net present value). If the detailed financial analyzes conclude that the project won't hit the company mandated return expectations, those resources are allocated elsewhere.

I'm sorry some folks are all upset over this, but it's honestly the best solution financially for Mattel and the lines continuation. If Mattel uses the exact amount of subscriptions purchased, the analysts go to work and calculate if the project will produce enough return on the capital investment. If the answer is no, then those capital (money) resources will be allocated to other projects. If there are no projects that produce high enough results, then the company can choose to sit on that capital or refactor it and pay additional dividends to the shareholder. This is freshmen level business class stuff folks.
    I'm sorry... I didn't know we all had to be business majors to voice our opinions. Since I'm a low grade moron, I'll refrain from posting my opinions from now on... .... .... ..... .... yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    Why? ...am I bothering you?
    For me yes. I don't understand the need to be hateful and absolutely negative at all times.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.