Page 6 of 188 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Update on 2013 Subscriptions

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Somehow I knew that people were going to be all up in arms offended at this. He isnt doing this to offend or scare you into the sub, he is plainly telling you like it is. No one outside Mattel knows for sure just what the profits look like for this line, so dont assume they are making plenty of money and BSing you. Plastics are tied to oil prices just like gas, and the cost of production from raw material to plastics is increasing because people need to make more salary to survive in this nasty economy. Now add the cost of hand made product and small production runs. We are lucky the figs dont cost upward of $40 like most limited run toys. I love the line enough to eat the cost of a sub because there will be plenty of people falling off every year. Look at the whole picture and do your research before cryin wolf because it doesnt match the way you think it should be. Nobody likes it, but true fans will suck it up before they DO decide the small profit margin isnt worth it. That is the unfortunate effect of today's economics and, right or wrong, that's what it boils down to.
    I'm not upset with TG for his words, but with he and Mattel for their decision. Last time I checked, gas was down like $.50/gallon. It's no more expense now than it was in 2008. In face in 2008, I was paying over a $1/gallon.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    For me yes. I don't understand the need to be hateful and absolutely negative at all times.
    For you to understand why is irrelevant. I am merely exercising my right to post my opinions regardless if they seem negative and hateful.

It's funny...all I need to complete the collection I started out to have, are Ram Man and Jitsu. I could get those from ebay, and say adios. But even though those two start the year, I was thinking of subscribing, for a lot of reasons.
    But this tactic leaves a bad taste in my mouth though. They are eliminating the chance for non-subbers to get figures from their store, and also eliminating most new customers...who's going to subscribe to a line they can't buy figures of?
    Don't know if I should subscribe or not, but I'll stay a non-subber for the moment. Plenty of time to decide. I'm sure there will be other ominous messages from Scott about subs not selling, thermometers going up, etc.

I'm buying a sub once I get paid again at the end of the month. I just hope we get at least 2 more years of this line, and if Toyguru thinks we're not gonna see a long line of time left, then I hope he starts really trying to finish out some of the factions: Horde, Snakemen, Great Rebellion, Galactic Protectors, and Space Mutants.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Dear Scott,
    stop wasting money on characters no one cares about such as Spector and Laser-Lot.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Heroic Warrior
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    First off the people that keep saying buy a sub need to mind their own business! Scott and Mattel don't need your cheerleader antics. Don't tell me or anyone else to buy a sub! This holier than thou attitude because you own a sub is out of control. On the other side of the fence it is just as bad. Cherry pickers need to learn that you don't matter to Mattel so get it through your head. Stop complaining thinking Mattel owes you. I'm not ranting or attacking just stating the facts. I myself have stated I will never buy a sub and will just go without if it's not available. I have self control. Do I want the figures "yes" but it's not the end of the world if I don't get them. Mattel is a business with ridiculous profit demands ((I know I've investigated them)) and if they don't get those profits they move on. That's what it all comes down to people. The worst thing to me about this whole situation though is Scott unprofessional approach to the situation. His record speaks for itself I suppose.

I think it's the big ticket items that are killing it. Last year we had the $60 Star Sisters and this year we have the $75 Fighting Foe Men. At SDCC that hit everyone with a shock. While cool, it's just a big pill to swallow and it kind of turns people off.
    I do like how the line was scaled down to 12 figures a year and only 4 quarterly items. 2012 has been very expensive with the 12 figures, quarterly variants, quarterly beasts and 30th sub.

I am a grown man now with a family and a demanding job. Responsibilities, stress, deadlines, appointments, commutes...it's all part of life now.

Receiving these white shipping boxes every month makes me feel like a kid again, if only for a little while. It takes me back to a time of innocence and joy. A time when friends and family members who are long gone were still a big part of my life.

This is more than just a collector line for me. And if it were to die, I'd be heartbroken.

Sounds like a big 'F U' if you don't buy a sub.

Sorry but this blatant disregard for customers is just too much. I would feel undignified to come back after receiving so much abuse.

I am done.

Heroic Warrior
    All I need is Ram Man, Jitsu, and Two Bad... man I hope they make him soon. Mantenna would be cool also to finish off the original Horde members.

Ok here is something most of the people that call Mattel greedy do not think about

http://www.x-convert.com/chart/USD-CNY?period=5y

over the past 5 years the US dollar has sunk like a rock vs the Chinese Yuen sky rocketing and that is with the Chinese government trying to slow down their inflation

in simple terms, our dollar gets us less in china.
    Last edited by fireball13z; July 19, 2012 at 09:50pm.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    I am consistently amazed by my fellow fans' ignorance of how finance works. Every fan that posts an opinion on how this line should be handled from a profit/production standpoint should be required to post their employment experience as a knowledge base for their opinion.

The bottom goal for any company is to maximize shareholder wealth. Period. Each project is analyzed for its financial risk factors. To an entry level finance student, this is known as a project's NPV (net present value). If the detailed financial analyzes conclude that the project won't hit the company mandated return expectations, those resources are allocated elsewhere.

I'm sorry some folks are all upset over this, but it's honestly the best solution financially for Mattel and the lines continuation. If Mattel uses the exact amount of subscriptions purchased, the analysts go to work and calculate if the project will produce enough return on the capital investment. If the answer is no, then those capital (money) resources will be allocated to other projects. If there are no projects that produce high enough results, then the company can choose to sit on that capital or refactor it and pay additional dividends to the shareholder. This is freshmen level business class stuff folks.
    Thank you Kowl, well said.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Dear Scott,
    stop wasting money on characters no one cares about such as Spector and Laser-Lot.
    for the millionth time, those figures did not effect the budget for the normal MOTUC sub, nor do they have any baring to the 2013 sub, heck they were not even going to do a 30th sub, until people started asking for the 30th Sub
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Ok here is something most of the people that call Mattel greedy do not think about

over the past 5 years the US dollar has sunk like a rock vs the Chinese Yuen sky rocketing and that is with the Chinese government trying to slow down their inflation

Another excellent point.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouchor View Post
    I am a grown man now with a family and a demanding job. Responsibilities, stress, deadlines, appointments, commutes...it's all part of life now.

Receiving these white shipping boxes every month makes me feel like a kid again, if only for a little while. It takes me back to a time of innocence and joy. A time when friends and family members who are long gone were still a big part of my life.

This is more than just a collector line for me. And if it were to die, I'd be heartbroken.
    Well said. This is exactly how I feel about the line. I LOVE MOTUC's and the nostaglia it brings!!! I am in it for the long haul with 3 sub's + extras for my niece/nephew.

LONG LIVE MOTUC's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good thing I decided to sub for the first time! Figured I'm gonna spend 500 a year anyway.

Heroic Warrior

Yeah but... Mattel is greedy. They are a huge corporation, it's the nature of the beast. I know you love Mattel, but are you saying that they ARE NOT greedy?

I'm never buying a sub again 2012 will be my last year having one. I love my vintage MOTU but I love POP the same if not a bit more and as a POP fan I have no reason to buy a sub. If the line ends there won't be anymore POP figures, but there's hardly any now so I'll be in the same position. As a POP fan I have no reason to buy a sub and maybe if they had done a better job with a large fan base like POP more POP fans would have continued to support the 2013 sub like a lot of us have previous years.

Instead of your all this concept stuff like Vykron and the FFM maybe more thought should have been given to POP and NA, you know established fan bases.

Fool this POP fan once, shame on you. Fool this POP fan twice, shame on me!
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Dragstor : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Saurod

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar

Yet you still moan about POP characters and ridicule others for liking them. Ever wondered that POP fans enjoy the figures for the same reasons you do?
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    I am consistently amazed by my fellow fans' ignorance of how finance works. Every fan that posts an opinion on how this line should be handled from a profit/production standpoint should be required to post their employment experience as a knowledge base for their opinion.

The bottom goal for any company is to maximize shareholder wealth. Period. Each project is analyzed for its financial risk factors. To an entry level finance student, this is known as a project's NPV (net present value). If the detailed financial analyzes conclude that the project won't hit the company mandated return expectations, those resources are allocated elsewhere.

I'm sorry some folks are all upset over this, but it's honestly the best solution financially for Mattel and the lines continuation. If Mattel uses the exact amount of subscriptions purchased, the analysts go to work and calculate if the project will produce enough return on the capital investment. If the answer is no, then those capital (money) resources will be allocated to other projects. If there are no projects that produce high enough results, then the company can choose to sit on that capital or refactor it and pay additional dividends to the shareholder. This is freshmen level business class stuff folks.
    Well, it's too bad they can't maximize their profits with sound business practices. This property is a huge opportunity to cash in on. This was the 30th anniversary and have you seen any print, web, tv, or radio ads for anything? No. How did we celebrate it? With the mighty Spector. With fans that have a large web presence being made to feel like this..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    I figured this update was coming soon... but I didn't expect it only a week after subs went up for sale. Initial numbers must be worse than I imagined they were going to be.

And Mattel has nobody to blame but themselves for that. I bailed out on this year's sub, and I won't be subscribing again next year. Remember the saying "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me"? That has never been more applicable than it is with Matty. Well, except I was fooled more than twice before I finally realized that things were never going to get any better with this line.

Because as long as they make money, there is no reason to work on issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. MOTUC made Mattel money, so there was no reason to improve the customer experience.

It is why we STILL have the same problems we have had since the line started. It is why Digital River is still around. It is why limbs are still reversed ("Pretty cool, huh?"). It is why international fans have been promised better options since the beginning. It is why Scott can still have his horrendous PR statements. It is why some fans STILL haven't got their Fistos. It is why subs sometimes ship later than day of sales. It is why there are unresolved double charges. It is why subs get cancelled without you knowing. It is why it is a nightmare to change any of your info on your sub.

And on, and on, and on...

What long-running problems have they actually fixed? They do a great job of promising that things will get better... but yet they never seem to. Remember the shoulder committee? Yeah... it was less than 6 months before that happened again. And then it happened again with Stinkor (but this time it was a "design choice").

So here it is. Signup time once again. But it looks like fans have finally started to realize that things aren't getting better. They never will. They no longer want to blindly hand over the credit card numbers for 8 months of figures sight unseen. They no longer want to take that 50/50 shot each month that there will be another problem in the line. They'd rather just take the chance with day-of on stuff they do want.

So what does Matty do? Well, the smart thing to do would be to reveal the rest of the 2013 schedule. Think about it- You already have a bunch of folks locked in. The ones that are truly willing to buy it all, despite the issues and despite what may be a lackluster second half in 2013. So what do you have left? The guys who won't sub without knowing what they are getting. The ONLY way to get those guys is with a tentative FULL 2013 schedule. Then you might lure some of those guys to sign into your sub too...

But no. Matty instead implores the old "you better buy or else... we promise things will get better this year". But like the boy who cried wolf one too many times, I just ain't buying it anymore. Might things get better this year? Sure... but I am not signing over my money on that gamble one more time. You have burned me again and again, and as much as I still love MOTU... it just isn't worth taking that chance anymore.

So no. That is it for me. If you don't make enough for day-of on certain characters... well that's fine. I guess you didn't want my $27 that bad and I didn't need that figure all that much anyway.

My apologies to my fellow MOTU fans that are sticking this out. I wish you the best and I hope for better things for you and for MOTUC. I just can't support this business model anymore. A model that shows so little appreciation for its customer base...

Sallah
    This line should be rolling in money, but it has been handled too ineptly for a high percentage of hardcore fans to just blindly give up their $500 plus dollars for rising costs on poor service, poor quality, and a joke of a web site. And how about the non existent push to get more fans that don't know about this line involved? Granted, they would be left a little cold not even being able to purchase the figures on some days (5minute sell outs) but things were getting better. But according to this years scare tactic, it will be as it used to be. What incentive is there for a fan getting in late? Why should they blindly hand out the $500+ plus when they can do a small amount of research and see that this line is a headache from top to bottom? That is why Matty is not using MOTUC properly to maximize shareholder wealth. Period.

Folks, here's a dose of reality for you: Mattel want the line to end.

Sure, it's "viable". But it's not raking in the dollars they want. 2013 is the last year. It remains to be seen whether they cancel the sub or not (I'm leaning towards them cancelling it).

Think about it... who have they shown as part of the 2013 sub? Ram Man, Netossa, Jitsu, King He-Man and the Fighting Foe Men. Can anyone not see this is a pretty underwhelming line up?

Sure, there's people out there who want Netossa, who want Jitsu, who want a King He-Man. There's people who find the Foe Men cool. But seriously, the only one there that people really want is Ram Man.

Now, we've got the mightly overlord telling us that you have to get a sub because they're probably not releasing anything beyond that. Why are they doing this? Why now? The line has been doing great for years, they claim. Figures are selling out, never to be released again, they claim.

If everything is selling, why cut back even more? Because they want to end it.

Let's face it, it's not Barbie. It's not Lego. They can't just simply slap new clothing on a basic figure and expect it to sell. Why do you think Batman gets relaunched every few years?

I'm convinced, whether your subscribe or not, the line will end after 2013. Do not, for a second, think that you can make a difference to that. For those who are apprehensive, think about your wallet and your financial responsibilities. If you don't think you can afford it, don't be bullied into it.

Mattel can sell this stuff if they really wanted to. It's unfortunate for them that they can't just recolour He-Man and Skeletor to sell (as this is the most cost effective way for them to make money). I'm sure the line is making them money. Just not enough. It probably never has, we're just fortunate that it did exist in spite of this.

for the millionth time, those figures did not effect the budget for the normal MOTUC sub, nor do they have any baring to the 2013 sub, heck they were not even going to do a 30th sub, until people started asking for the 30th Sub
    WE DIDN'T ASK FOR SPECTOR!
    And material to make them costs as much as for other figures. They are a WASTE of money as the material could had been used to make figures that people actually care about which would had been a far more profitable investment.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

I just wanted to say that was really sweet.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    WE DIDN'T ASK FOR SPECTOR!
    And material to make them costs as much as for other figures. They are a WASTE of money as the material could had been used to make figures that people actually care about which would had been a more profitable investment.
    I agree with this. 2012 had alot of wasted plastic. I just hope 2013 is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Yet you still moan about POP characters and ridicule others for liking them. Ever wondered that POP fans enjoy the figures for the same reasons you do?
    That was a little harsh. I thought his post was heartfelt.